[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

AT vs. PCT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_3911.png (70KB, 660x330px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3911.png
70KB, 660x330px
Ideally I'd love to hike both, but which one would you say is more worth taking a break from school and quitting my job for?

Leaning towards AT first but I'd love to hear from people who have done either or both.
>>
If you're looking for great views you should try the LSD. It'll be like nothing you've ever seen before.
>>
>>891955
I'm more looking to regain confidence in myself, lose weight, and take a step back from it all to re-evaluate my life and how I want to spend it while working towards a slow and steady goal with a definitive and physical beginning and end.
>>
Pct for the scenery my dude
>>
>>891954
AT is a dump.
>overcrowded shelters
>green tunnel, no views
>rain, wet

I hiked the PCT this year and everyone I met who did the AT said it was a joke in comparison and they recommended not doing it.
>>
>>891964
2016 thru here, what was your trail name if you don't mind?
>>
>>891964
Seems like a bit of an exaggeration? I wouldn't really plan on using the shelters desu. I am attracted to the views of the PCT though.
>>
>>891966
You first.
>>891968
You'll be thinking twice about using shelters when everything you own is soaking wet and you have to climb into your dank tent all moist.

In general, I've heard the AT community is pretty tightly knit and there are more opportunities to party in every town, which you'll have access to every 2-3 days (unlike many sections of the PCT).
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R-oJX7V85I
>>
>>891971
Rainman.
I guess logistics are a non issue, planning waterless stretches and carrying tons of food are just part of the pct experience. I'd definitely enjoy carrying less food if I ever hike the at though.
>>
>>891957
>lack confidence
>overweight
>no sense of direction
>expecting to complete a 6 month hike
maybe before you commit to quitting school and work you should try something like a 200 mile hike first.
>>
>>891990
>Rainman.
If your name is Alex, we have three common facebook friends. I don't remember meeting you on the PCT, sorry.
>I'd definitely enjoy carrying less food if I ever hike the at though.
Well yah, in general more weight sucks but there is something to be said about doing long stretches in the High Sierra without seeing cars for a week+
>>
>>891998
I already have a degree. LOL. And I'm getting a second one and working part time for the state for experience and pretty decent money.

Also, it's not my first time hiking. I was an Eagle Scout and I've hiked portions of the trail before.

That doesn't stop depression though. I've had a tough year despite things looking good on paper.

>shaming someone because they want to go on an /out/ adventure
>shaming someone for struggling with depression
>shaming someone for trying to deal with it
>insulting their insecurities

Real nice anon.
>>
>>891961
this
>>
>>892025
He wasn't shaming you, god damn. Committing to a 2200+ mile, 6 month through hike isn't something you just do without any prep, a lack of confidence, and a nebulous motivation.

Build up/prepare for it. Trying a 200 mile trail is great advice.
>>
>>892025
>triggered
make sure you dont burn any bridges when you leave though, i havent done either but i say go for it but dont forget to fight your daily battles everyday anon, the small victories count too
>>
>>892025
>none of those concerns are valid
are you really so fragile your feelings are hurt when genuine potential issues are bought up and a reasonable consideration is suggested based off the limited information you'd provided? did you cry when hillary lost, too, faggot?
>>
never hiked AT so i cant comment shit about it, but i hiked the pct and fucking loved it. would fully endorse it. if you do hike the pct, dont take it seriously, fucking kids hike the shit. its easy as hell, you dont need every bit of gear under the sun, i had like 50 bucks worth of gear and a 6 pound pack until we started getting fucked in the cascades.
>aquamira
>dr bronners soap
>sleeping bag
>shelter
thats all you need to not fucking die, and i through in soap for fucks sake. get out and go its easy as jerking off
>>
File: Snow Creek Camp.png (556KB, 674x359px) Image search: [Google]
Snow Creek Camp.png
556KB, 674x359px
>>891955
>going backpacking in yosemite in a few weeks with a couple friends
>lsd will be involved
can't fucking wait to see the sunrise while I'm peaking
>>
>>892068
Test it if possible, I wouldn't want to get fake acid in the middle of nowhere desu
>>
>>892070
It's real. I tested/tripped on the same batch about 6 months ago. I was saving the rest for a special occasion :)
>>
>>892073
Have a nice trip senpai :^)
>>
>>892068
What's your general plan for the trip? I'm really interested in backpacking in Yosemite but don't know much about trails and campsites
>>
File: yosemite.png (340KB, 1550x452px) Image search: [Google]
yosemite.png
340KB, 1550x452px
>>892174
During the winter, my understanding is that you are able to pretty much show up and they give you a wilderness permit; during the spring/summer you have to make a reservation or enter a lottery for the remaining spots. If you see the map, you are required to start at your registered trail head, but are allowed to camp anywhere beyond the arrow. Bear canisters are required, but they offer rentals for $5 a day, I think.

We're flying into fresno airport and taking a train/bus to yosemite valley.
Day 1: Probably going to stay at Camp 4 (drive-in campground) at the base of El Capitan
days 2-4: Doing the Mirror Lake to Snow Creek Trail. (pic on previous post).
days 5-7: Doing the Happy Isles to Sunrise trail. That trail leads us close to the base of Half Dome, which we plan to climb using the cable route.
During the off season, they remove the cable posts, but you are still able to ascend if you have your own climbing gear and weather isn't shitty.

Should be around 20-30 miles of hiking
>>
File: p6 belay.jpg (2MB, 2304x1728px) Image search: [Google]
p6 belay.jpg
2MB, 2304x1728px
>>892221
>6 days for two day hikes
why? push up lyv and get some solitude instead.

and if you have your own climbing gear, snake dike>cables route by about 1000x
>>
>>892306
Good idea.
At this point, I dont have much planned and will appreciate any advice/recommendations.
>>
>>892317
when are you going?
how do you feel about camping/hiking in the snow?
>>
>>892317
>>892324
expanding...
>where are you from?
>have you ever been before?
>will you ever go again?
>what else are you into (esp. climbing and/or winter sports)?
>>
>>892329
>when are you going?
Dec. 15-23
>how do you feel about camping/hiking in the snow?
I'm down for it. If I have to, I'll get snowshoes.
>where are you from?
Maryland
>have you ever been before?
No
>will you ever go again?
Proabably
>what else are you into (esp. climbing and/or winter sports)?
Kayak, cycling, skiing, hiking the AT, pretty much everything /out/
Out of the 4 people going, im the weakest climber. Everyone else is experienced. I mostly just stick to indoor gyms.
>>
File: 280134_31282_XL.jpg (175KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
280134_31282_XL.jpg
175KB, 1024x768px
>>892331
i'd spend a day just dong the tourist loop-breakfast at the awahnee, wandering around looking up. for something easy and underrated the base of el cap is only about 15 minutes from the road, and pretty cool to check out. ice rink at curry village should be open by then.

2-3 days backpacking up and back down lower yosemite valley will get you some quiet time, and unless we get a cold wet snap there shouldn't be much snow at that elevation.

if you guys are down to bring your climbing gear i'd highly recommend it, since it's literally the epicenter of american climbing. snake dike's a cruiser (two 5.7 friction moves, rest is 5.3 or less, and needs almost no gear) to the top of possibly the most iconic rock on earth, plus almost limitless other options with anywhere from 2 minutes to 4 hour approach.

a bus runs from the valley floor to badger pass, so you can snowboard, downhill or xc ski up there no problem. rentals aren't too outrageous.
>>
>>891957
that sounds like a trip man you should definitely do the LSD
>>
>>892025
please realize the reality of hiking 2000 miles continuously
>>
I'm hiking the Appalachian trail, starting early March, somewhere in the 1st week.
>>
>>891998
Plenty of people start the AT without much hiking experience and finish it anyway. It'll kick your ass into shape quick if you stick with it.
>>
>>891998
If you can hike 200 miles, 2000 is no problem. It's not like you need to be some roided out Lance Armstrong before going on a thru hike. You can be a fatass with no experience, but over the course of a few weeks, you will get into long distance hiking shape. Not the best method, but people do it
>>
I'm wondering what the max total on-body weight you could have and still do the AT or PCT with in 6 months.

I know that is personally dependent, but I see a lot of ultralight set ups these days (which look boring as fuck) and I can't believe people were doing the AT sub 40lbs in the 80s-90s.
>>
>>893448
> look boring

Tacticool fag detected
>>
>>893448
>boring
You aren't gonna have time to batton some saplings into "shelters", kiddo. You will literally just walk and sleep or don't make it. Maybe hang out at camp for an hour. Inb4 "I can hike a gorrilion miles and still have time for other things later in the day1!!!" Not after 500 continuous miles. There's a reason people who start with unnecessary shit send it home quickly.
>>
>>891954
Did 1200 miles of the AT this summer, new Hampshire was gorgeous, Springer to Harper's ferry had a few good moments but without meeting other thru hikers was pretty dull green tunnel scenery.

From the people I've met who had done the pct and what I've looked at myself it would appeal to me more for my current outdoors comfort and fitness level.

HYOH.
>>
File: cdt_map_large.jpg (172KB, 673x1440px) Image search: [Google]
cdt_map_large.jpg
172KB, 673x1440px
Thoughts on the continental divide?
>>
>>891954
Both are equally beautiful but most people appreciate huge views a lot more than green forest. But most people are plebes. And you're a plebe for thinking that you can truly enjoy the beauty of those 2500 mile stretches by hiking through them everyday and barely stopping to smell the roses. Go on long backpacking trips like a normal person or go live in the woods in a cabin if you want am extended nature experience. Thru hiking is for wannabe badasses and hipster faggots.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.