[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best water filtration system for backpacking trips?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: Capture.jpg (89KB, 1500x1494px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
89KB, 1500x1494px
What is the best water filtration system for backpacking trips?
>>
Personally I like my sawyer mini.
>>
File: katadyn.jpg (126KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
katadyn.jpg
126KB, 1024x682px
sawyer's are a fantastic size and weight, but practically are only are okay if you have 2 or fewer people, it's not too hot (i.e. you don't go through a lot of water), and there aren't any mosquitoes.

my last backpacking trip my cousin brought pic related, and it's immediately jumped to the top of my shopping list. fuck rolling any more sawyer bags while being swarmed by mosquitoes.
>>
I use the sawyer squeeze. I fill a 2 liter evernew water bag with dirty water, screw the filter on it, and then filter the water into two clean smart water bottles.
>>
>>891085
>you have 2 or fewer people,
This Is a factor. I hiked in groups of about ten and the pump type are invaluable. I like them because they're fast and easy. Sawyer has it on price and weight every day though. I like being able to fill my bladder without removing it from my pack because I have a quick connect for my filter/bite valve that lets me fill through the drinking tube. If price is crucial I'd go Sawyer based on reviews and price, but I've never used one myself.
>>
Sawyer mini is good for 1 person. Takes too long to filter water for two with it.
>>
I've used a regular (non mini) sawyer filter with gravity setup for a 3 person group, that's probably about the maximum. For solo use the mini is fantastic.
Ps. Please don't buy a lifestraw, sawyer mini is smaller and lighter and let's you filter before you bottle.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (143KB, 1205x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
143KB, 1205x1500px
Anyone have experience with this? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QFXGSIY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=21G2NIJZTQ9T3&coliid=I1UHBRMV5EDUYW
>>
I have both a lifestraw Go bottle, and a sawyer mini squeeze system.

The sawyer is more versatile, and works well. It is a little harder to use at times, since it requires a few extra steps, or should I say a few harder steps. Filling the squeeze bag isn't that easy sometimes if the water is shallow, since the mouth opening of the bag is small. It works with a normal water bottle, like a 1L Aquafina plastic bottle, but requires quite a bit of sucking to get water out.

The lifestraw go bottle seems a little easier to suck out, and since it's in a bottle, you just fill the bottle, screw in the lid and go. The bottle is easier to fill, and is built well.

I generally bring both. The go bottle works for a quick drink and to carry some extra water, the sawyer you can filter easier for water to cook with (so it clears out particles that boiling won't).
>>
sawyer is the only way to go

life straw is pants on head retarded
>>
Is the sawyer mini really not that great for 2? Would you guys recommend just getting 2 sawyer minis for 2 people or getting a larger system?
>>
>>891821
one night or less in cooler weather you'll be fine with a sawyer mini. but if you're going to be on an extended trip or needing to refill more than 3 liters in a day you're going to start to hate it. it's a great stop-gap or back up, but impractical as a longterm primary solution.
>>
>>891873
What do you recommend for heavier use?
>>
>>891908
see >>891085
no pumping, no squeezing, no batteries, no chemical taste. just fill, hang, and flow.
>>
>>891940
How's the Katadyn vs the Platypus GravityWorks?
>>
>>891978
haven't used the platypus, but seeing the katadyn in action made me an instant convert from the sawyer legion.
>>
fuck filtering your water, in fact fuck purifying it, but if you have to, aquamira. why are you filtering this water? why does it need to be filtered?
>>
>>892000
i don't want to wait 30 minutes for it to work.

filter=instant water

>why does it need to be filtered?
i'm rarely in the mood to risk unscheduled shits. i'll drink straight out of a stream above 11k, but otherwise i'm taking the <5 minutes to make sure.
>>
>>892010
aquamira is 15 minutes if thats a game changer for you. the only good filter ive seen used is the sawyer, theres a white gasket or O ring or whatever that breaks consistently, happened to me, my friend hiking with me, and numerous other people. if you do choose sawyer, perhaps some extra gaskets might be in order as you could very well be completely fucked without. ive seen sawyer minis put inline with hydration bladder hoses, dirty water goes into the bladder and is filtered as you suck on it. also the fucking sawyer squeeze bags are a pain in the cock to fill up, a shallow water source chalk full of bees will immediately take instant water and turn it into a fiasco, i used an extra ziplock solely for a way to fill up the sawyer squeeze bags. the sawyer is the only filter im willing to endorse, just cant do so without giving you some caveats. straight up, try aquamira homey.
>>
I cannot believe how easy light and handy the platypus gravity works has been for me. I have filtered some shitnasty water into something drinkable with that thing
>>
>>892050
i'm the katadyn>sawyer anon.

and i'm glad it works for you, but i'll stick with filters.
>>
>>892053
so youre not op, ok
>>891073
OP, get skeptical on water sources dont just treat it cuz everybody else does and dont drink it straight cuz i said so, think critically and figure out for yourself if the water should be treated or not. ive used sawyer filters and ran into the problems i discussed with the anon above me, ive used aquamira and found the whole process to go much faster and easier for me than filtering, a fuck ton lighter too. ive used iodine as well, which is great and would use before a filter but takes longer than aquamira, 30 min as opposed to 15 min. but dont just take my word as law, try different shit and figure out what works best for you personally
>>
>>891075
>>891085
>>891100
>>891109
>>891116
>>891676

Seconded. Best $20 I ever spent.
>>
I helped kickstart the pure2go water purifier. The filters have proprietary tech which kill bacteria and viruses on contact in addition to filtering particles. Gravity feed, inline with a reservoir, pump, etc all work. Does it all.

They are expensive though, and a little bulky (when compared with the mini sawyer, but as a filter the mini sawyer I'd not great), but I'm pretty stoked on it. My other filters are on their way to the bin.
>>
>>891073
MSR Miniworks EX if you're in areas where waterborne viral illnesses aren't a concern (most of North America and probably Europe), MSR Guardian Purifier if in areas where they are (third-world shitholes).
>>
Just drink the water from the river boy
So many minerals running there
>>
>>891085
This, gravity filters are the best
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.