[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The John Muir Trail

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: hikergurl.jpg (1MB, 810x1080px) Image search: [Google]
hikergurl.jpg
1MB, 810x1080px
Hiya /out/!

I want to do a thru-hike of the John Muir Trail next summer with my gf. I have some backpacking experience, but have never done a long distance trail. Ya'll have any tips and tricks for such an endeavor?
>>
>>887268
Don't die
>>
>>887268
I'm doing 32 clicks over hinchinbrook island next month so nothing like as far as yours. Are there places to pick up food along the way? If not you want to be pretty fit, and basically smash out the hike as quickly as possible so you would need to bring minimal food.

I'm assuming you would have fresh water points along the way, but you would obviously need enough water containers to tide between them.

You'll want to be rucking super light on everything unnecessary, obviously an advantage to doing it in the summer, because your pack will obviously be fill AF with food.

Look into meal replacement shake powder to have during the day. will keep you going and weighs little.
>>
>>887320
The JMT has places to rest and resupply along the way. Towns were you can pick up supplies or places that'll hold packages so you can have stuff shipped. There's also hiker boxes where people leave their extra food for other people to have.
>>
post more
>>
>>887445
Post less
>>
File: IMG_20160512_050035.jpg (5MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160512_050035.jpg
5MB, 5312x2988px
>>887268
Start south to north with PCT hikers from Kennedy meadows in early June, there's much more of a community. Also ending the trip in the valley would be a rewarding finish.

Get a PCT permit as opposed to a JMT permit, it's easier and free.

Don't buy a bear canister. If you carry an aluminum plate for frying foods and what not, you can stash it at the front of your bag and tell the ranger if they question you, "it's a little buried in my pack right now" as you knock on it. This worked for me in Yellowstone, and I was only checked for it once. If you do decide to get a bear can, get one used.

Bring a small collapsible fishing rod if you enjoy fishing.

Don't resupply through Bishop pass.

Stay at the Bishop (THC The Hostle California). Rusty's Saloon on Fridays has karaoke.

Don't resupply at John Muir Ranch, they charge ridiculous rates.

Stop at the John Muir Ranch for a resupply. Most of the JMT crowd dumps off a ton of food there, I did a full resupply for free. Avoid their hot spring across the river, it's completely inaccessible and smells like sulfur in any case.

Bring deet and a headnet.

I did all the passes and summited Whitney in June without an ice axe or real crampons. I made due with microspikes and trekking poles, but if I weren't on a budget I would have went with the heavy duty stuff since there were some sketchy parts.

Don't buy any apps or physical maps. Hikerbot for Android is all you need.

Enjoy a fire every night you can.
>>
>>887553
>Yellowstone
**yosemite
>>
>>887553
Also bring sport sandals, you'll be treading through streams every other hour at least through some sections and taking your boots off or hiking with wet trail runners is a bitch.
>>
>>887320
Hinchinbrook like fnq?
>>
>>887533
What are you, a fag?
>>
>>887823
You first
>>
>>887268
I live in the islands. I get shrimp here, I know where this is. did you climb up the rope to the next falls?

I like haole gurls
>>
>>887807
yeah m8, keen as a bean. its going to be absolutely boiling but i've been a bad boy and i deserve the punishment
>>
>>887960
Fuckin sweet. I've never actually been on hinchinbrook, but I've been to Cardwell more times Than I can remember
>>
>>888010
did you get pies from that awesome roadside setup? they do a cheese bacon and beef i would sell my mother to the reds for.
>>
>>888605
Wtf? No i didn't even know about them! I usually grab some tucker from that shithole with the massive chair out the front. Are they on left or right side heading north?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.