[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Headlamps

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

File: 20161030_202347.jpg (1MB, 2160x2160px) Image search: [Google]
20161030_202347.jpg
1MB, 2160x2160px
I'm a perma-nightshift guy in the oilfield. I've been through a ton of headlamps, but haven't really paid attention to which were good (most weren't because I'd be in a hurry and buy the toughest looking one I could find at a North Dakota Wal-Mart or gas station).

I need one that's relatively tough--while I have one of the more cake jobs out here, even it is decently rough on gear.
Definitely water resistant (ideally proof).
Bright (I have to use one to look into open shade in a lit unit at crap that's around 4' away and be able to see a fairly small difference in contrast).
Decently long lasting (I usually burn mine around 6 or so hours in a shift).

I also tend to prefer AA or AAA battery powered ones. I realize that usually kills longevity, but being able to find replacement batteries more than makes up for that to me.

I don't care about weight (I've considered wheat lamps, but I don't wear a belt for one and don't like the idea of having a chord dangling that can be grabbed by machinery) and only care about price insofar as I'll get pissed if I don't get at least six months out of something that costs $100
>>
>>885887
Bump
>>
Black Diamond Storm
>>
Olight H05S
http://goinggear.com/flashlights/headlamps/h05s-active-2-x-aaa-2-x-10440-200-lumen-cree-xm-l2-led-flashlight.html
>>
Industrial electrician here. You have to supply your own head lamps?

What kind of scabby shit you doing out there?
>>
>>885887
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201532733544?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
>>
>>886032
>>886039
Looking into them.
>>886041
I honestly don't know of any oilfield company (even the likes of Schlumberger, Halliburton, and Sanjel) that provides headlamps. They always just throw a bunch of light towers on a location and pretend that you can see everything you need to.
>>
>>886059
My brother works in the coal mines as a mechanic, he has to buy his own tools but even he gets his headlamps free. You guys get reimbursement for the boots you buy?
>>
>>886060
Depends on the company. One gave me $250/yr for FRs, 150/yr for boots, and 60/yr for gloves. Another issued everything.

About all you can count on being provided is an H2S monitor, hard hat, and safety glasses. Bigger companies will issue everything. Smaller ones might reimburse you or not.
>>
>>886061
Oh, and while this might sound like a lot, I'll remind you it's North Dakota we're talking about, so I need two pairs of boots per year (four if you include mucks), at some point have to get an fr parka and fr facemask (fr normally adds about 50-150% to the cost of a normal item), plus winter and summer gloves, as well as all the random other stuff you have to replicate to be outside in -20° F without losing bits.
>>
>>885887
Petzl has a professional line for headlamps. Might wanna look into them, they are kinda standard all over Europe.
>>
>>886063
Nice...wish they had one with a uv/near uv bulb though.
>>
>>886059

I've never worked for one that didn't supply them. Are you a contractor or something? I've never been on an industrial job without a tool crib that stocks shit like headlamps. One time I was told they're only available to the nightshift, but that's the only time in my experience they haven't been offered to me.

The only guys I see that don't have access to the tool cribs are independent contractors like Joe's Welding Truck or operators renting their own machine to the job.

Anyways, I've had this one for like a year. Only like 4 months of that was work, but I did a lot of outdoor stuff this year and the lamp is still as good as the day I got it. http://www.pelican.com/ca/en/product/tactical-dive-flashlights-headlamps/headlamp/headsup-lite/2690/
>>
>>886067
It's the oilfield. Literally everyone is a contractor. On this location right now, there's about 30 people who work for around 11 different companies. Only one person on location actually works for the company who owns the well.

We don't run like other industries.
>>
>>886068
of course because how else would they be fucking their employees
>>
>>886084
Eh, it's a good fucking in a lot of ways though. Sketchy in other ways. Like oil companies proper avoid a shitton of liability, that said, we're paid really well for what we do and generally get a ton of benefits (I have company paid top shelf medical insurance, 1:1 matching 401k, company shares, and a generous bonus structure).
>>
>>886032
>Black Diamond Storm

Don't, I see a lot of those simply stop working for no apparent reason at the worst possible time.
>>
Fenix HL50.

Recommended to me by another anon a year ago.

>Runs on 1 "AA" or 1 CR123
>waterproof
>made of anodized aluminum, stainless, and glass lens
>Cree LED
>adjustable brightness with max output 365 lumens
>>
Zebra H600 is the only option
>>
>>886112
Details? I like my Storm and was thinking of upgrading to the newer, brighter one.

Any alternative waterproof lamps suitable for boating, that use an even number of batteries so I can recharge in pairs?
>>
>>886068

I meant contractor as in self employed. Are you self employed?

What I was getting at is, I've been on a few refinery jobs and the only guys that didn't have access to the tool cribs were the self employed guys.

Do you not have tool cribs, or do the tool cribs not have headlamps?
>>
I work for a big railroad, these are the ones they give us, they are probably the best I've used for putting on my hard hat

http://www.railheadcorp.com/ke-fc230-300-lumen-focus-control-led-headlamp?page_id=121

http://www.railheadcorp.com/ke-fc115-140-lumen-motion-activated-focus-control-led-headlamp?page_id=121
>>
>>886243
Nope, not self employed, and seriously, no company out here provides them, tool crib or not. Refineries are plant work and generally operate like other plants. We're field guys who operate up to three or four hours away from the nearest thing that could be considered a shop. Most of the time, if we need something (say a pipe wrench breaks or need a new fuel filter), we run to the store and buy one if we don't have a spare packed in with us.
>>
I've had the switch die on both of my Black Diamonds randomly, I don't recommend them
>>
I have a princeton tech fuel. I can't vouch for the durability but if it broke tomorrow I would have gotten my money's worth out of it. Seems like a good value.
>>
dafuq
>>
>>886473

Ah, that's the difference then. When I'm at a plant we are 100% dependent on our employer for supplies. I was on a fly-in-fly-out job where the smart ass contractor decided that because fr toques weren't required by our contract it wasn't going to be supplied.

I got the flu and they had to cab me to the nearest hospital and pay my wages while I was there, because that was in the contract. I had to go to the hospital 2 days in a row. $600 on cab fare, about $400 on room and board they paid the camp, plus my wages at around $500/day. After the second trip to the hospital they flew me home the next day. All told it cost them a couple thousand bucks not to supply me with a $20 toque. But fr toques aren't in the contract so they sure saved a buck not supplying them.

I guess I should also point out that the defacto expectation is that all fr gear is supplied by the contractor. It has been on every other job. This was literally the first plant job that I'd ever heard of that didn't.
>>
have a zebralight floody. big smooth spread of light, but too many fucking multi-click functions on the single button. a torch shouldn't need an instruction manual.
>>
Vizz Industtial Princeton tech headlamps are good
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.