[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Freeze dried meals

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 11

File: IMG_5621.jpg (521KB, 1354x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5621.jpg
521KB, 1354x1600px
Yes or no? Do they fuck up your wealth or are they just as legit as regular food?

I read that they have huge amounts of sodium, in what does that translates to your body regulation?
>>
it's like you're not competent enough to catch yourself a few fish to eat.
>>
File: IMG_0716.jpg (14KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0716.jpg
14KB, 300x400px
>>885621
Hey bby

>>885620
Sodium isn't a big deal if you're actually moving and sweating. Those Mountain House meals are just kinda overpriced. Have you tried Soylent™?

>*Soylent™ is also overpriced for what it actually is
>>
>>885622
OP isn't going to be actually moving and sweating otherwise he wouldn't need to take that garbage with him.
>>
>>885621
>>885623
That's a lot of assumptions, how about to fuck off?

>>885622
Are you one of those shills that I heard about?
>>
They are too expensive for what you get out of them. Buy a dehydrator and prepare your own meals.
>>
They're a little overpriced, but I solve that by buying when they're on sale. It's not like I have a ton of them, just a few I picked up for half the usual price.
>>
>>885622
>Made from soy

One of the causes of the nu male problem
>>
Sodium isn't a problem, it's a requirement if you are hiking. lots of people on the AT eat four ramens a day
>>
>>885639
if you're referring to soy causing higher estrogen levels in human males, that's a myth.
>>
>>885639
>imblyign you don't want man titties to play with
>>
Just got back from an over nighter in my local woods. Took with me two mountain house meals: chili mac, and the breakfast one (egg, sausage, hash). They're really not that expensive (four bucks and change) when comparing them to other foods to take camping. Sodium is fairly low for meals like this, caloric intake is moderate.

They're brutty good. I get them all the time when I go /out/. Though I'm thinking of investing in a dehydrator to make my own. Not because they're expensive, but their selection isn't that wide and I'd like to try other meals.
>>
>>885620
Assuming you don't mind the price, yes.

>health
Unless you're staying active for one reason or another, I wouldn't eat them constantly.

>sodium
Helps water retention. Too much will lead to increased blood pressure. However the chances of you getting to much from these are pretty much nil. That is assuming, you aren't a lard ass who would rather buy a bunch of these than take the time to cook a proper meal. Then you might have an issue.

>>885621
Now I don't know which state you live in, but in my state you need a licence to fish in. In a couple weeks when I go camping, the state I will be doing it in also requires a licence. So rather than spend the money on a day pass, I'll just grab a meal or two since it is cheaper. Besides, less time spent gathering and cooking food, the more time I can explore.

>>885653
>selection
And that is the thing I hate about all of the prepared meals. MREs, freeze dried, all of it. They get damned boring if you spend any significant length of time eating them (a week or more).
>>
>>885620
I'm just going to carry a few cans of ravioli and cliff bars for my next few weekend /out/ trips.
>>
>>885680
>heaps of sodium
>Helps water retention
>>
>>885769

>cans

Enjoy your 50 lb pack weight.
>>
>>885774
Yes, that's a basic medical fact. Are you retarded or something?
>>
>>885649
I have man titties. I don't like them. They squish together when I put a pack on.
>>
>>885639
Citation needed.
>>
>>885848
Are you at least a C cup? Because unshapely B cup man titties just suck. C cups with some form, now those are fun!
>>
File: roast-lamb-camp-oven-style.jpg (3MB, 3008x2000px) Image search: [Google]
roast-lamb-camp-oven-style.jpg
3MB, 3008x2000px
>>885620

Tried the Mountain House pad-thai on a whim last year when turkey hunting and it was terrible, quite possibly the worst thing I’ve ever eaten (or at least the two bites I took before tossing it out).

Unless you’re an extreme ultralight backpackerfag, (and hardly anybody here is) there is no reason to not eat well when /out/.
>>
>>885866
google
>>
>>885899

Not so much UL (base weight 25-ish, packed around 31-33-ish, but I try and save weight wherever I can, and that includes packing some mountain house meals. They're not that bad. You had one out of a selection of more than a dozen different meals, that's a pretty small sample size to warrant a final decision.
>>
File: agassiz.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
agassiz.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>885929
They do vary between semi-decent and totally horrific. I have a running list of the good flavors. They're great if you're looking to save weight and want to be lazy. I generally like having them on alpine climbing trips because I'll be a fucking white duck if I'm going to cook anything complex after a long route.
>>
>>885913
Find your safe space there too, millennial?
>>
>>885774
>not understanding tonicity
>>
>>885936
>running list of the good flavors
Do tell; I don't want to waste my meager cash on the horrible ones.
>>
>>885899
>Lamb

Nice poverty meat you homo
>>
>>885784
>weekend
>carries 50 lbs of food
enjoy your obesity
>>
>>886134

>oh no someone pointed out my inefficient method of using canned goods for food while camping
>I know, I'll call him fat. That'll absolve me of looking like a dumb ass.
>>
>>886136
He's right tho, you were acting like a retard to try to prove a point you shouldn't even care about
>>
I wonder if dehydrated Hamburger Helper chili mac would be good
>>
>>886221

>(You)
>>
>>885913
Burden of proof is on the person making a claim
>>
>>886235
you mean make it with meat and then dehydrate it, or just make the dehydrated version without meat? or with meat?

either way i think it'd be delicious, although i doubt you'd be able to dehydrate it with the hamburger in it as it's oily as fishcunts
>>
>>886256
With meat. What if i used 98% lean
>>
>>886269
I think you might have better results if you just made hamburger rocks and took the rest of the helper as is, boil noodles and burger together, add sauce and call it food.
>>
>>886269

Just use ground Turkey, doesn't get much more lean. Or you could use chicken.
>>
>>885913
Not my job to research your fallacious claims
>>
>>885899
>hauling around a bigass cast iron pot and tons of food
Nah, fuck that, I already have enough heavy shit to carry
>>
>>886030
Western Tamale with beef (think this one is made by AlpineAire)
Chana Masal
Katmandu Curry
Honey Lime Chicken (AlpineAire)
>>
>>885621
There's isn't water everywhere.

>>885620
They're pretty expensive especially if you need to buy them in bulk quantities for a long trip, unless you make them yourself.

They taste pretty good just nothing exceptional. The problem are the meats since basically all taste like re-hydrated jerky. If you're buying spicy ones make sure you buy them in small quantities.

They do have huge amounts of sodium and that's because these things are usually geared towards hikers who need it from sweating all day.

Don't go for mountain house if you're looking to not fuck up your wealth. Look for more obscure providers.
>>
>>886422
Can you even into /out/ with a canoe?
>>
>>885936
I take issue with your use of the word lazy. When I put in big miles its nice to have a meal that's ready in less than ten minutes. After a 20 mile day usually boiling water is the only thing I feel like doing.
>>
>>885620
The ones I've had aren't bad. It's just hard to meet my nutritional goals eating them. I really would like to start dehydrating food and placing in mylar bags so I could make something similar myself. I just haven't bought a Dehydrator yet.
>>
>>886846
You can get a dehydrator for twenty bucks, the cost of two freeze dried meals coincidentally.
>>
>>886136
I'm this >>885769 anon. You've actually been talking to a different anon this entire time. I'll carry like 2 cans or something, I think I can manage it.
>>
File: 20160412_204410.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160412_204410.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>885620
Get these if you can. The entrees are the same company that makes mountain house but taste better IMO. Filled with good shit like trail mix, jerky, candy and extra drink mixes. You have to boil water to cook the meals but they last alot longer and taste better than MREs.
>>
File: Autism1.jpg (962KB, 1851x1851px)
Autism1.jpg
962KB, 1851x1851px
>>885620

It's just dehydrated food, but way overpriced because it's targeted at hikers.

You can just go to the dollar store and buy whatever they have which can be prepared by adding boiling water to it. Same thing, but much better value.
>>
>>887832
This 100x
>>
>>887816
I should also say when I found them at a surplus store I got them for $75 for a case of 12. Only a few months past official use too. Unlike most of the shitty desert storm era MREs you see around.
>>
>>887816
>Eggs

Abandon all hope ye who dare to eat any MRE or other instant meal with "eggs" in it. Neither your tastebuds nor the toilet deserve such brutal punishment.
>>
>>887842
As with any military meals the key is testing how your digestive tract responds to different things and finding a balance. Dried stuff will clog you up. Coffee, tobacco, rip its, certain meals will loosen you up. Clog your self up and let loose every couple days. Or try to find a balance and have normalish BMs.
>>
>>885899
Pad thai is shit, pick something good like lasagna or beef chili mac
>>
>>885983
>not understanding jokes
>>
>>886235
That sounds so good. You can also do the beef chilimac mountain house if you really want that meat, and a contained/clean eating method
>>
>>886269
>>886269
You could actually cook the meat a day before, then use it as quick as possible, it will hold up alright if you keep it as cool as possible
>>
>>887847
yeah, science bitch
>>
File: consider2.png (906KB, 1126x845px) Image search: [Google]
consider2.png
906KB, 1126x845px
Mountain House chili mac is the tendies of /out/
>>
How good are MREs for /out/ adventures?
Whenever I get a chance to go out I will get a bunch of them.

Also are canned foods good if you open them up and put them on some hot coals or something? Seems like that could make a good meal as well.
>>
>>888048
Pretty good.
Although very high in sodium, and most of them taste terrible.
Beef Ravioli and Buffalo Chicken are objectively the best MRE
>>
>>887816
>drink mixes
isn't that mostly sugar? how is that any good?
>>
>>885620
Simplest ones are the best, the more "gourmet" ones are usually pretty gross.

I keep a few around but I try not to rely on them.

A little smart shopping at the grocery store or Amazon can get you the ingredients to make your own quick cooking meals that taste better and cost less IMO.
>>
>>885621
>fish exist everywhere
Fuck off you fucking faggot.
>>
File: 1475502142024.jpg (137KB, 612x450px)
1475502142024.jpg
137KB, 612x450px
>>887863
I've been wanting to try it for awhile now.
>>
File: pemmican.jpg (1MB, 2256x1496px) Image search: [Google]
pemmican.jpg
1MB, 2256x1496px
The only food you need.
>>
File: BCtrail1.jpg (619KB, 1600x1200px)
BCtrail1.jpg
619KB, 1600x1200px
>>885936

Get out of my camp site anon (pic related)!

I just use Knorr rice mixes and Idahoan potatoes (split into snack bags). I bring pepper, chicken-in-a-pouch, bacon pieces and pepper to flair them up at altitude (gives more taste). Other than that, it's gorp, bars, peanut/almond butter and, with some careful packing, pop-tarts - use them at altitude...flavor and good calorie density.
>>
>>889003
>for men and dogs
that's discriminatory and also looks disgusting.
>>
>>889003
Pemmican is certainly very nutritionally and calorically dense, but it's not "the only food you'll ever need"

No food is "the only food you'll ever need"
>>
>>885620

the only thing you should be going camping with is a mixture of flour, salt, and baking powder, a empty peanut butter jar packed with butter, and protein mix. and vitamins.
>>
>>889052
>No food is "the only food you'll ever need"
except for avocados :^)
>>
Mountain house is great for ease of use. Just a little pricy for me.
>>
About to head out now, got a pack of spicy sausages, some long rolls, and packs of ketchup and mustard and relish. Bringing these hot dog tong things to cook them over a fire with. Plan to grab a onion while i'm driving to the trail head. This is the first time i'm taking my girlfriend /out/ wish me luck
>>
>in what does that translates to your body regulation?
The effect sodium has on blood pressure for non-hypertensives is massively overstated, i personally wouldn't worry too much if you're otherwise healthy.
>>
>>888898
They are designed for people working and burning thousands of calories a day in cold enviroments so hydration is a big issue they don't have alot of sugar. They arnt just straight koolaid, they have vitamins and electrolytes in them like shitty gatoraid. There's also a vitamin C packed one and then there's coffee drinks that are mostly caffine and sugar but those serve as a loosener for the brick that will build up from the entrees.

As far as the snacks go its mostly things that can't be frozen since you can't eat the entree until you can boil water unlike a normal MRE. No fruit or cheese spread. Mostly peanut butter, crackers, trail mix, jerky, crasins, power bars/pop tarts and desert items.

Honestly best fucking MRE type meal you can buy. I live in cold ass Alaska so they are pretty popular around the surplus stores here. I imagine they arnt as easy to find down south.
>>
>>887816
Digging the snow camo

> Ben where did you put the meal?
> ...Fuck I don't know, I just set it down a minute ago.
>>
>>885620
I'd say the are not good for your wealth or health. You could buy a dehydrator or look around your regular grocer. Plenty of dehydrated, dried, and shelf stable foods are available at mine. Stay away from tins or jars. Buy pouches or boxes and repackage if needed/able.
>>
>>889003
> for men and dogs
Kek
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.