[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/out/ careers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

File: 1477157488345.jpg (435KB, 1024x685px) Image search: [Google]
1477157488345.jpg
435KB, 1024x685px
Anyone have an /out/ career? Care to describe what you do/any stories you have?

I was wondering what kind of jobs are out there for an environmental scientist
>>
Get a job with the government making up science and killing prosperity.

High pay, great bennies and perks plus you get to pretend like you care about the environment while you destroy it. Good times
>>
>>885604
That's a pretty broad dismissal of an entire field of study
>>
>>885735
It is, but dems da facts boi. Forget to mention it but having to phoney the science will kill your soul
>>
>>885744
Lol you've worked as a biologist for USFWS, NPS, USFS, etc?
>>
File: tmp_4618-serveimage991716611.jpg (5KB, 203x248px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_4618-serveimage991716611.jpg
5KB, 203x248px
>>885604
>>
File: 20160601_144842.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160601_144842.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>885547
It's not quite preservation but I'm an apprentice arborist. The job kicks ass. You get to be macho, climb trees, work hard, and get rained on all winter.
It only pays well in certain regions but there's something great to be said about running a saw in a tree 100 feet off the ground.

A lot of the power bosses in the Northwest have some kind of environmental science degree and they basically manage which trees get trimmed.
>>
>>886925
Source: His ass
>>
I work as a archaeology technician in the summers for the USFS. It's basically preservation mitigation, finding site and deciding which ones are more important and which ones can get rekted by timber. Government work is the shit if you can one. Decent pay based on your region and local economy, benefits are awesome, union rights, lived in government housing this summer with a bunch of young bucks and gals like me and it was like a college frat but the people were actually nice. Hooked up with some girls, working 4 10's means 3 day weekends so we would group and camp in the mountains or the deserts near by and have a blast. Looks good on the resume too.
>>
>>885547
Not for an environmental scientist, but you are outside a lot:
land surveyor
>>
>>886925

Sources abound my brainwashed friend
>>
>>887392
>One fuckup, while ignoring multiple major fuck ups by private industry and the many successes of federal and state agencies, means that da gubament is destroying the environment

Kek
>>
>>887392
Butthurt Navajo detected
>>
>>887444
You might want to read up on the Yellowstone fires of 1988, caused by government policies.another massive fuck up by do gooding retards who never suffer suffer any consequence for burning a million acres of our premier national park
>>
>>885547
Environmental restoration.

/out/ everyday. Get to see some neat wildlife.
>>
>>887392
So share some.
>>
>>887530
>Before the late 1960s, fires were generally believed to be detrimental for parks and forests, and management policies were aimed at suppressing fires as quickly as possible. However, as the beneficial ecological role of fire became better understood in the decades before 1988, a policy was adopted of allowing natural fires to burn under controlled conditions, which proved highly successful in reducing the area lost annually to wildfires.

>In contrast, in 1988, Yellowstone was overdue for a large fire, and, in the exceptionally dry summer, the many smaller "controlled" fires combined. The fires burned discontinuously, leaping from one patch to another, leaving intervening areas untouched. Intense fires swept through some regions, burning everything in their paths. Tens of millions of trees and countless plants were killed by the wildfires, and some regions were left looking blackened and dead. However, more than half of the affected areas were burned by ground fires, which did less damage to hardier tree species. Not long after the fires ended, plant and tree species quickly reestablished themselves, and natural plant regeneration has been highly successful.

Looks like it was fucking nothing.

Then there's this gem:
>Media accounts of mismanagement were often sensational and inaccurate, sometimes wrongly reporting or implying that most of the park was being destroyed.

Basically you're being a faggot
>>
I work recreation with the USFS. It's pretty great.
>>
File: 20161102_124733.png (2MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
20161102_124733.png
2MB, 1440x2560px
I do solar stuff
>>
>>887712
>Government caused disasters were great

Sure dude, tell us more, tell us how global warming isn't bullshit too
>>
>>887871
>a forest fire is something to be upset about
it's a forest, they catch on fire sometimes

I live in Canada and in some areas we wiped out moose because we stopped all forest fires and the woods became too thick.

I don't know how you can understand that climate change is natural and is nothing to be worried about, yet not understand that forest fires are the same
>>
>>887776
Bro don't just leave it at that. You god damn well know that, yeah it's chill but you're literally a forest janitor cleaning up all the literal shit around literal plastic maws of septic decay and camp trash that ferment in cement boxes in the sun.
>>
I'm hoping to get a job with the Forest Circus or something of that nature. I like the thought of being a twig pig. Anyone here know anything about that?
>>
File: Im a seal.gif (2MB, 256x152px) Image search: [Google]
Im a seal.gif
2MB, 256x152px
>>885547
Ive worked as a raft guide on the west coast for the past 3 years.

We have an annual rafting trip client every year which is this tourism agency that does 2 week tours of the US for [wealthy] Japanese Middle School students.

Which means that the first year I got a raft full of tiny 13 year old japanese girls who spoke no English through a Class 3 section with 4 class 3+'s on it that actually have consequences. They didnt really understand my raft commands (ALLL FORWARD, GET DOWN GET DOWN) and even when they did they were too tiny to really give me any power. No matter how much pantomiming I did they didnt understad how to properly paddle (Putting all of the paddle into the water, using your body not your arms, sitting properly). I learned the Japanese words for my commands halfway through but they still paddled shitily. For most of the 3 hour trip for these people I was either pantomiming or singing "Row row row your boat" out loud to the giggles of these tiny Japanese schoolgirls.

I basically learned how to R1(Rafter 1, AKA Paddle the raft by yourself) that day. I learned how to anticipate raft drift and give my raft forward speed with no customer input. I learned how to transmit safety relevant instructions across language barriers and that smaller children are bouncy and full of impact absorbing cartilage. I learned that day as a raft guide I can create entertainment for my guests without talking to them (Instigating spalsh fights, spinning the raft, making people swim, riding the bull, etc.) . I learned that Japanese kids really love Pizza, It was a huge step in my raft guide training experience and I look forward to that trip every year now.
>>
My plan is to get a job with the Coppers in some regional town near where it's really /out/

Do that job for 15-20 years until I'm eligible for government pension then start my own /out/ business taking people on guided Kayaking, hunting, hiking or I don't know yet.
>>
>>887928
Maybe you are pretending to be retarded but the issue is that all fires were suppressed for decades by the government, which made the conditions right for the inevitable hugely destructive fire instead of numerous healthy ones. Apparently they do the same thing in Canada as your story illustrates but you can't put 2 and 2 together
>>
>>888039
>Misinformed about natural fire cycles
>New evidence comes up about the importance of fire and Yellowstone happens
>Learn from mistake and incorporate that knowledge into a policy change

Sounds like the system is working to me.
>>
>>888055
>We will get it right someday, ignore the past because this time we know better

Repeat ad nauseum
>>
>>888155
You just described the scientific method. Good job! Thanks for agreeing with me that the system works.
>>
Britbong fisherman here. Sometimes the weather's miserable and sometimes you get paid fuck all for a long day's work, but as long as you have cigarettes and a flask of coffee, it isn't too bad.
>>
No, but I'm looking to get one. Does anyone know how you'd end up getting hired as a camp counselor?
>>
I keep thinking I want to be a National Forest Ranger.
But I'm already working 90 hours a week.
National Forest Rangers require a BA, 4 years of school in a related field.
No fucking clue how I could achieve this with my current job.

Looks like I'm stuck in a low paying job in a high cost city.
Someone please shoot me and end my misery...
>>
>>887964
I guide for my university here in the Southwest. We mostly run oarboats. Captaining a paddle boat sounds stressful af.
>>
I'm applying for the forest service soon. I have a guy who's worked there for a long time that can get me my foot in the door.
>>
Vegetation scientist.
Hiking all summer looking at plants, animal evidence, vegetation dynamics, soils. its pretty fun.

>>890231
Contact a National Forest post and see if they have any casual/ seasonal positions, or if they can give you advice on how to achieve that job without the BA requirements

what country are you living in where you're working a low paying job 90 fucking hours a week?
Jesus christ, in any proper country you would be able to quit, and go to university to study a BA while receiving government benefits.
>>
>>890240

Commiefornia, San De-cantafordit-ago.

I didn't ask to be here, I was born here.
Not sure what may come of asking for a Ranger job without the training, but it can't hurt to ask. Would be what I'm doing currently; project manager for local inpatient healthcare facilities.
>>
>>890240
Is that a permanent seasonal position or temporary? I'm still in school but have interned for the FS as a river patrol ranger, the vast majority of them are seasonal which seems like it'd suck. Is it enough to live on for the year, or do you find work during the winter?

Related to the OP, my last summer was an internship with the FS as a river patrol ranger. I got a damn near brand new truck and has an area that o managed most days. A lot of it was contacting individuals and spreading knowledge of fire restrictions, camping areas, and trash. Cleaned some bathrooms with our pressure washer on the truck though we had most of the porta's outsourced to a waste company. The trail crew worked 10s and left in the mornings and got back afternoon, we had one wildlife biologist and a couple loggers at the office I met, though most of my work was field work.
>>
>>887777
Interested in this. What have you done in terms of education? Also nice digits.
>>
File: 1472794441241.jpg (66KB, 485x700px) Image search: [Google]
1472794441241.jpg
66KB, 485x700px
Theres this old fuck at park I frequent who just sits in his pickup and I guess make sure no one is dead in the parking lot since thats the only area Ive seen him located.

I want that job.

Just sit in my truck at a park, chew some wacky-tobaccy, and lustfully gaze at the white college aged women who are out for their routine "not seeing any progress" jog.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.