[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dad is convinced dog and I are going to freeze to death in CO?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

>20, college anon
>Have 9 year old doggo
>Been planning a week long camping trip to CO Springs/Maroon Bells with doggo for past four months
>Trip will be in mid December
>Chocolate Lab/Red Bone Hound (Pic related)
>Home for the weekend
>Dad asks "Have you thought about getting a heater?
>Explains that in a tent, with a sleeping bag, blanket, etc, we should be fine. Same with a fire.
>Dad thinks we have a chance of freezing to death
>Tell him that packing a heater is just something else taking up space in my bag
>He's not convinced. He's not going to make a big deal of it, but he's worried about the dog and I

I think the dog will be fine, and I'll be layered and in a sleeping bag. Lifelong friend is from CO and has told me that the weather never gets so cold that a coat and blanket inside a tent won't fix.
>>
>>885324
What is your bag rated to ?
>>
>>885327
10 degrees
>>
>>885327
30 Fahrenheit
>>
>dog and I

*dog and me
>>
>>885331
>>885332
Who is OP here?
Anyway winter in colorado is no joke, you probably wont die but you need a zero bag .
By mid december parts of colorado will be seeing below zero weather.
>>
Also different breeds react differently to cold.
My golden never got cold but my wiem would shiver like he was going to snuff it if it got below 20.
Your lab is likely in between towards the golden end of things.
>>
>>885339
I'm OP, 10 degree rated here. I think my other bag back at my apartment (Still back home right now) is rated for 0 but that's a strong maybe. I'll be wearing long johns, and a lot of layers. Anything you could recommend to keep the dog warm though? I'm bringing a wool blanket for him, even though he's never been one to really sleep with a blanket on him.
>>885341
The dog has always been an outside dog, but when hiking on a day hike would never really shiver. But of course sleeping in the middle of the night is a different story. We're used to Kansas winters.
>>
>>885333
*me and dog
>>
File: doggojacket.jpg (36KB, 570x570px) Image search: [Google]
doggojacket.jpg
36KB, 570x570px
>>885348
I got a miniature horse blanket type thing for my dog since her fur doesn't insulate at all. She hated the jacket until I took her outside in the cold. A husky or afghan might not need such a coat.
>>
>>885324
Depends on where you are camping. It will be cold as fuck in the mountains and you might have trouble.

On average 12 people freeze to death in Colorado every winter so maybe I'll see you on the news.

Is death worth that extra weight reduction?
>>
get a big rock and heat it up the whole day, then put it in your tent, should hold some hours
>>
File: DSC00311_.jpg (91KB, 800x537px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00311_.jpg
91KB, 800x537px
>>885377
Seconding this.

My boco wasn't a big fan of the coat or boots at first. When I'd open the trailer door after a day of riding, he'd jump out of the warm trailer into the cold (single-digits) parking lot, jump around all excited that I was back, then a few minutes later he'd be doing the cold-feet dance and wanting to get back in the trailer.
Put on his coat and boots, he'd be a lot happier since he could be outside with me and not be uncomfortable.

>i miss you kiddo
>>
>>885324
get a good rated bag, a doggy coat and spoon your adventure buddy at night for additional warmth.
>>
My last doggo was a poodle. That dog did not give 2 shits for whether.
Snowstorm? No problemo
Pouring rain? Perfectly fine day
High wind and sleet? Woof Woof let's go to the beach

Poodles really are godtier dogs
Damn I miss my doggo. Need to get a beware one soonish
>>
>>885331
>10°c bag.
>Colorado
You're going to die. Get athe least a zero degree bag. Or better. Look after pupper as well maybe something for him?
>>
>>885511
This.

Yeah, your pupper is gonna probably get awfully cold in the tent... pupper needs blankets or such too, especially while sleeping. Just like a person, they produce less heat while not moving around.
>>
>>885475
Yeah, but...
>dat fuckin nigger hair
>>
>>885553
this
>>
Are you hiking and backpacking, or car camping?

If you're car camping and at a campground with electric, then by all means bring a heater.

If you're backpacking, then you DEFINITELY need a 0 degree bag, and you need more than a wool blanket for the dog. If he was a Husky or Malamute or something I'd say no, but he will be cold.

Like another anon said, get a dog coat for him. They're cheap and work well. My dog hates the cold, but put his dog coat on and he's happy.

The dog, like you, needs something to lay on or the ground will freeze him. The wool blanket doubled over a few times will help. If you're carrying a wool blanket though, that's taking up a ton of space and weight for what it is. I'd bring a foam thermarest for the dog instead, and bring something to cover him with like a kids sleeping bag.
>>
>>885333
It's dog and I.

To know whether it's I or Me, remove the dog.

Nobody says Dad is convinced me going to freeze to death.
>>
>>885348
dog will not freeze to death if you put a blanket on him. altho he is definitely not a cold weather dog.
also bags rated above zero are still good with extra clothing and or blankets. i have only a summer bag and camped out many late autumns in it.
>>
>>885542
>Just like a person, they produce less heat while not moving around.
lol, nice anthropomorphizing
>>
Get a Tibetan mastiff or better gear.
>>
Just throw a blanket over your tent
>>
File: 20161012-scan365 (1).jpg (490KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
20161012-scan365 (1).jpg
490KB, 1000x1000px
>>885348
Dude. a 10 degree bag is NOT going to be warm enough for Maroon Bells in the winter. CO Springs? Sure.

You WILL freeze in the maroon bells wilderness in the winter with only a 10 degree bag. Here's a picture from there in July. Notice that there is still snow on the ground.

At the very least, get you some sleeping bag liners.
>>
If you have high dollar marino wool LJS and wear your wool socks to bed you might be ok in a 10 degree bag with a liner.
>>
If you are not concerned about camping in the cold, you don't understand how to camp in the cold.

If you don't know how to camp in the cold, you will surely die.
>>
File: 2016-10-29 08.39.22.jpg (4MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
2016-10-29 08.39.22.jpg
4MB, 3840x2160px
>>885348
Make sure to have lots and lots of layers, maybe even for your dog. I camped out last friday near stockholm, in about 5C weather, but quite a lot of wind. I had double sleeping bags, two thermo shirts, two sweaters and a ski jacket. Wore long johns, ski socks and insulated pants. Still woke up from the cold at one point, but was fine. Would have been unpleasant with less isolation though.

Tent will really help against the wind though.
>>
>>885324

This is at least your 3rd post on this board about this trip. It is painfully obvious that you don't know what you are doing.

Don't jeopardize your dogs life because you can't control your /out/ boner long enough to wait until late spring or early summer.

Just do long day hikes and drop $80/night on a dog-friendly bed & breakfast. Winter nights in CO can be brutal, especially with elevation gain. Just wait until it warms up so you can actually enjoy nature without solely concentrating on not freezing to death.
>>
Snuggle with pupper.

Also, get a warmer bag
>>
MAN i live in BC, Canada and sleep in unheated trailers as a part of my JOB. you're gonna be fine. buy some hand and toe warmers for extra protection and you'll be fine.
>>
>>885586
does this work?
>>
>>885553
But that's their best feature...
>>
>>885348
in theory I think you will be okay. But a may camping trip in the canadian rockies during a snow storm was one of my worst times out. So much colder than you think it's gonna feel. If the rockies there are anything like here, it will likely be colder than your bag rating which is alarming as even those are rough ballparks.
>>
>>885553
That hair is why they dont give a fuck about the weather .
>>
>Maroon Bells
>winter
Your dad is right. Either postpone your trip or make damn sure you'll be warm enough. 4 season tent, tons of layers for you and your dog, and an emergency plan in case you're in danger of becoming hypothermic.

Overall would not recommend.
>>
Eat up. Put some weight on your bones. The most underestimated insulator is a decent fat layer. I've hiked New Mexican deserts for years, and the worst times I've ever had were when I was on a fat cutting cycle for bodybuilding and was under ten percent body fat. Even 30F at night in a zero bag felt like I was going to die, literally. On the off season, when I was closer to 20 percent body fat, zero F was tolerable with a thin "fleece" style sleeping bag. When I had an injury and crept up to 28 percent body fat, I thought I was at the worst fitness of my life, went on a hiking trip that hit -10 at night in February, and I had to crawl out of my zero bag for an hour at a time because I was sweating my ass off.

I've come to the conclusion that for me, I link body fat percentage very closely with temperature in planning. At around 14 percent, which I've been at for about two years since I'm no longer competing, I don't pack the zero bag unless it will definitely go below zero. A thin fleece takes care of me down to 20F, and a zero bag is uncomfortably warm unless I'm hitting below zero F. The sweet spot seems to be about 20 percent body fat, I can hike in terribly hot and demanding daytime weather and still tolerate below zero lows, with little extra preparation our packing either way.
>>
>>886009
not really, throw the blanket over your sleeping bag and dog that will work.
>>
Hay OP. I did -5 with my dog stealth camping up in garden of the gods by springs. I had a thermarest and a poncho liner inside a mystery sleeping bag i found. I just stuck my dog inside my sleeping bag with me and we were fine, shes 60lbs. Didnt get caught for 4 nights.
>>
Bring a fuckin towel for your dog.

You can be in the desert and somehow the lil fuckers always come back soaking wet.
>>
>>885324
i wouldn't be so sure, lived in CO forever and on the plains in an urban environment sure the winters aren't a big deal, but up in the hills its no joke, and can be very unpredictable, I wouldn't fuck around when it comes to winter camping in the hills. pack in gear on a sled and bring a tent with a wood stove. also would sleep in my car or a backyard in the sleeping bag on a cold winter night to test it before going.
>>
>>885434
Sorry about your doggo man thats sucks.
>>
>>885324
I would recommend that you drive a few more hours and camp in Moab or something. Camping at 9000+ ft in December in Colorado is not fun.
>>
>>885348
Let doggo in the bag with you.
Don't do furry things, just enjoy not being cold.
Our I guess, dubs for furry things
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.