[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

traditional outdoor gear

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 18

I would like to replace as much of my modern style camping gear as I can with traditional old style gear. Yes modern gear is pretty much always better performing, but the aesthetic of traditional is much better and being out innawoods with natural materials rather than synthetic shit just feels more right. So in this thread discuss anything related.

I prefer to pack as light as possible (under ten pounds base weight), I'm able to do this easily by camping in pretty favorable conditions (southwest USA where it rarely rains and temps are mild), so I think I could do the same with traditional gear. I think my only synthetic gear would be a rubber tarp and poncho.
>>
>old school gear
>light weight

Pick 1, because you're not getting both
>>
>>883563
I would carry only bare essentials and I'm in a mild climate. My sleeping bag, tarp, and jacket will be synthetic. Mostly my clothing, bag and misc. Items would be old school
>>
>>883544
Anon you might be interested in a specialized group of reenactors who do "Historical Trekking" Just google it.
>>
>>883584
Eh, I'm doing my own thing, I just wanna have *aesthetic* gear for my own enjoyment. Do you know of any good retailers for sweet aesthetic gear
>>
I'm almost certain this is a bait thread.
>>
>>883599
Nope, deep down everyone wants aesthetic old school gear rather than bright colored, shiny, crinkly noise making, zipper covered synpetrofactorycubenylontekfiber 3000
>>
>>883603
And if I was in harsher conditions I would go with the more practical modern gear but its not really necessary where I am
>>
>>883591
Thats what I mean. Those guys will have leads on gear and stuff, and they have a trading post online where users can buy and sell gear.

Not saying you have to join them.
>>
There's nothing aesthetic about looking like an autistic cosplayer. Buy some good wool/nylon clothing, an expense pair of boots and a bag, and gear that you will need depending on your type of /out/ activities and location. Don't be a retarded /r9k/ kid playing zombie apocalypse or ride em cowboy out in the state parks.
>>
File: 172353.jpg (468KB, 1403x969px) Image search: [Google]
172353.jpg
468KB, 1403x969px
What most people get is that traditional gear was either carried with a pack animal like a horse, mule or donkey(meaning it doesn't matter if the gear is heavy because the pack animal can carry it) or, they went really light.

Admittedly my knowledge is limited to the medieval period and earlier, and mountain men and those types would have carried more gear, such as powder horns, lead shot, etc.

your average pre gunpowder person going on a few day trip somewhere would probably carry:

a satchel or small backpack filled with:

Food. Hardtack, Bread, Salted meats or Fish, etc.

Some twine.

A fire kit.

MAYBE a small pot to boil water and cook.
They would have a blanket roll with:

A blanket or two, depending on the weather.

Extra clothes in the blanket roll.

If they needed it, a tarp on the very outside that was made so it waterproofed the wool blankets.

Some pegs and more twine if needed.

They'd also have a knife and a walking staff. some would carry swords, bows and arrows if they were hunters and wanted to shoot rabbits on the trail, a hatchet or a langseax.
If they were adequate hunters and foragers (which most people were, young boys spent their days hunting with slings and bows for small game) they could easily shoot a rabbit and have it for dinner.
Traditional gear is heavy as fuck, but that's why you have something else carry it or carry very little.
>>
>>883640
*what most people don't get.
>>
>>883639
I am living out of my backpack, one of my main goals in doing this is to connect with nature. I would prefer that my gear blends with nature, by being made from natural materials and having more natural colors and textures, rather than seeming alien to it. Its kind of like having a comfy log cabin in the woods vs a neo postmodern glass house in the woods. Old gear works, people used it through 99% of human outdoor history. If you're in favorable conditions and you are willing to packminimally there's no penalty.
>>
>>883574
>My sleeping bag, tarp, and jacket will be synthetic.

What's the fucking point then?
>>
>>883668
I know what you mean, especially that "seeming alien to nature" part. Wearing this stuff and using G10 handle tactigoy tools just gives me the feeling fighting nature instead of adapting to it.
I am currently building a forge. I live in northern Germany and found out that a place near me called Joldelund was thriving doing metalwork during the iron age. I wondered why because Schleswig Holstein has no mountains if even hills. Turned out that we had tons and tons of bog iron.
We still have and you can easily get some because the companies producing concrete see it as a waste product.
Man, making a tool from materials that you gathered from your immediate sorroundings.
That tool will be a part of you.
>>
>>883680
To have as much traditional stuff as I can while still retaining some practicality. I would prefer a waxed tent and jacket but a simple rubber tarp and poncho are far cheaper and better performing, and in i prefer using them over a tent and modern rain jacket when the weather is favorable. The sleeping bag is one pound and 35 degree so its really practical. If it was warmer I would use a wool blanket.
>>
>>883715
follow this same logic and realize you're not admitting why you need ANY of this 'traditional' nonsense, or you're just retarded
>>
>>883715
also, dumbass, don't get looped into the nonsense of having to have ancient things to enjoy nature. hilarious. i GUARANTEE anybody from the1800s would have clung to a plastic tarp like it was magic. stop pretending some old stuff is gonna make it magic. don't seek to be like them. seek what THEY SOUGHT. survival. enjoyment. reality. just playing out some nature fantasy with all the right props makes you a shadow of the reality, nothing more. kys
>>
>>883723
I already enjoy nature that's why I'm homeless and sleep outside half the year. They would've clung to it if their comfort and survival depended on it, mine doesn't. This isn't about role playing its about removing an annoyance and distraction. I also appreciate the craftsmanship of older things, is that a problem? Go fuck yaself hoe, fucking fourchan mad troll boy!
>>
File: confederate-prisoners.jpg (182KB, 1000x922px) Image search: [Google]
confederate-prisoners.jpg
182KB, 1000x922px
>>883723
Not the same guy here, but I see both sides. Sometimes I take my nice/hi-tech shit and make great miles, eat meals quickly in camp and stay bone dry and warm in storms. Sometimes, I take my shitty old canvas plash palatka, a wool blanket and cook potatoes in embers. You've got a good perspective anon, and seem to appreciate the gear we have these days, but far too many people don't understand how hard and motherfucking MANLY those tough motherfuckers were back then. For me, it's nice to have the good gear but to not rely on it. It's nice to sharpen up skills on occasion.

>>883715
>>883544
If you're going traditional and light, you need to focus on multi-use things and just taking less shit in general. Make a blanket roll for the majority of your shit. Wear a wool pants and shirt (that shit is cheap at goodwill look at dress pants) so you can stay warmer at night. A canvas tarp can be pitched low to keep in more heat.

I don't really do this shit for looks, so don't ask me about that. In fact, people might think you a little strange when you're out there.

If you're interested in more resources, Kenneth Kramm on ootoob is good.
>https://www.youtube.com/user/KennethKramm

Checking out what soldiers carried on campain back in the day, and finally
>How to Camp Out by John Gould
written in the 1880s about camping before that time. Good, succinct, quick read.
>>
>>883603
I really want to argue and call you a faggot, but deep down it's 100% true.

Thank God the old style stuff is also expensive as fuck so practicality wins the day.
>>
>>883680
to dress like a hipster
>>
>>883544
I've always wanted to go 'full Scottish'

>great kilt (effectively 2-3 blanket lengths in one piece)
>sporran
>flint and steel
>axe
>dirk
>sgian dubh

Might not go full period and take a steel pot and a head torch but I think it'd be pretty fun
>>
>>883544
Why would anyone do this? Older shit is heavier shit.
>>
>>883989
That does sound cool. Only trouble is putting the kilt back on when you wake up. Shit would be terrible if it was raining and muddy out.
>>
File: flipflops.jpg (74KB, 400x388px) Image search: [Google]
flipflops.jpg
74KB, 400x388px
>>883544
>traditional outdoor gear

AKA: cold, wet and pissed off...
>>
File: DSC_0316.jpg (3MB, 3920x2940px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0316.jpg
3MB, 3920x2940px
>>883989
It certainly is a good ultra light system. In the old days it is said the old armies could travel 30 miles or more a day with no roads.

Problem is however they woudn't usually camp outside. It would most often be a case of commandeering a barn, inn or someones house for the night.

You will need to bring some manner tarp. Also in the sporrans you tradditionally carry oats for making porrige
>>
I fully support you OP. Fuck these trolls. They have no concept of honoring heritage or preserving a particular age considered golden by some. They're idiots.

I would like to do this too. Perhaps as a hobo. Would be a lovely way to live.

P.s. fedora implies you do this for attention but pretty obviously this man is seeking no recognition so your points are invalid
>>
>>883640
Medevial...

Powder horns and lead shot? Dude you are either fucking high or retarded
>>
File: B2q2h7ZCYAAKyiO.jpg (36KB, 522x502px) Image search: [Google]
B2q2h7ZCYAAKyiO.jpg
36KB, 522x502px
>>883544
Maybe some of this?
>>
>>884331
Into the oven with you
>>
>>884325
I think
1. that was a poor wording on his side.
2. that is why you got him wrong.
>>
>>884358
It wasn't poor wording. All of the trolls in this thread, every single of them, are retarded, they can't read.
>>
>>883563
>>883584
>>883640
>>883770
>>883989
>>884122
>>884155
And thank you to these people for sharing and not trolling
>>
>>884371
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_man
I'll just point out quickly that "mountain men" means a very specific group of people in a specific age to americans, but merely "mountain dweller" (of any time period) to anyone not familiar with the word.
>>
>>883770
Damn those dudes were rocking some sweet beards.
>>
File: 1459086191702.jpg (265KB, 682x1023px) Image search: [Google]
1459086191702.jpg
265KB, 682x1023px
>>
File: 1439653521743.jpg (82KB, 832x584px) Image search: [Google]
1439653521743.jpg
82KB, 832x584px
>aesthetics over utility
>>
Hide hat
Drizabone coat
Old pigging knife

Cya in a week or two
>>
>>885852
Aesthetics are everything in this business
>>
Ok, unlike some feel op is being, I'll be upfront. I want what i want because of larp. That isn't the only reason, there is also just the coolness factor, and the ability to custom make the gear to my needs.

With that out of the way, are there any guides to making/designing rough hewn timber spar supported canvas psudo-historical tents (ideally medieval-enlightenment age).
>>
>>883702
WORD UP HE GETS IT
>>
>>884054
>dem frostbite feet though
>>
>>884054
>>888644

are his legs gangrenous?
>>
>>883544
>heavy
>stinky
>wet
>cold

you gotta be a tough sonofabitch to go traditional
I don't go out for entertainment purposes or sleep in the woods at night but I chop down trees daily and I'm always wet and cold because of rain and snow and I sweat too much (even at freezing temperatures I just need a little workout to overheat) so I have kind of an idea of how people back in the days must have felt
>>
>>883544
microlith bruh, they're super UL, really efficient use of stone materials and you can switch the blades around to different tools when you want
>>
Hey OP, check out Dave Canterberrys site "Selfrelianceoutfitters" (Google it)

They have some old timey gear. Some of it can be kind of pricey, but I don't see very many places with that much selection.

He has a lot of backcountry themed videos on YouTube too. Say what you want about the guy, he's not that back if you're going for that aesthetic.
>>
Wear Filson, Woolrich, and Johnson Wollen Mills.

Buy whatever they would carry during the Louis and Clark expedition.
>>
File: tmp_23076-03e-372722042.jpg (59KB, 680x510px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_23076-03e-372722042.jpg
59KB, 680x510px
>>
look up bedroll and haversack camping
>>
I like how 'traditional' is used as a vague unassailable justification of positivity when it's really just dressed up 'grass is always greener ' nostalgia which has been rendered obsolete by the very people that once used it.
>>
>>889741
I find that traditional gear was made by materials that last a long time. Modern gear might do a job better, but won't keep its form as well.

IE: most of my leather gear is still in good shape, while a lot of my nylon gear is worn through.

You also won't find a traditionalist that gives a shit about ounces. We'd rather go camping and bring gear for the way it makes us feel, not because it's the lightest or newest material out there. We're sentimentalists and like using gear that will last us a lifetime.

I'm more of a healthy combination of modern and traditional. I still try to keep everything rugged looking.
>>
File: I'll Shit Right In Your Mouth.jpg (70KB, 405x650px) Image search: [Google]
I'll Shit Right In Your Mouth.jpg
70KB, 405x650px
>>890235
oh god this fag again.
>>
>>890235
Traditional gear isn't optimized for weight, thus has more reserve built in. It also doesn't have some of the aging problems of modern stuff (nylon degrades under UV light, PU soles age and crumble when unused).
Apart from that, yeah it's nostalgia and a kind of fashion, but there's nothing wrong with that.
>>
File: 1469970133263.jpg (77KB, 330x527px) Image search: [Google]
1469970133263.jpg
77KB, 330x527px
>>883563
> pick one
says who?
>>
>>890496

Common sense
>>
>>890496
Could anyone hint me where I can find a pattern for his "pullover" looks comfy as fuck.
>>
>>890550
Anorak. Super comfy
>>
Large sheep skin or two.
>>
File: 9bU7FfJ.png (572KB, 747x625px) Image search: [Google]
9bU7FfJ.png
572KB, 747x625px
>>884325
I said "mountain men" which applies to 19th century pioneers in america.
>>
File: 1473391910382.gif (164KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1473391910382.gif
164KB, 480x360px
Where can I buy all that stuff in OPs image?

Moosejaw? EMC? Cabela's?

I just need to find a store that will sell a complete kit like the one mentioned above.
>>
Lol
Bump for more autism
>>
DAE like leather pants? Hiking in them is amazing. I don't understand why it's not more of a thing honestly. So many cultures in history had leather bottom garments and would wear them all the time as a representation of their wealth. They're cheaper than fjallraven pants too.
>>
In NZ alot of guys wear short shorts regardless of season, I suspect its a throwback to Scotland, I do not feel cold on bare legs.

I generally /out/ wearing stubbies, wool shearers singlet, swandri bush shirt and a decent hat (non negotiable no matter the weather, keeping rain off your face and neck is critical).
>>
File: sd.jpg (57KB, 500x414px) Image search: [Google]
sd.jpg
57KB, 500x414px
>>
>>890550
http://www.lrbushcraft.com/html/100__wool_boreal_shirt_-_wool_.html

this is the same thing. its made of old USGI wool blankets.
>>
>>892409

Thats basically a Swannie bush shirt though I doubt the wool is treated for outdoor use.
>>
>>892389
I heard it's hardly insulating and poorly drying like cotton on speed, so no, I havent tried.
>>
>>883702
In all seriousness
Would you ever consider making me a ball / Cross peen hammer?
I would obviously pay for time you spend and shipping
>>
>>892442
I think its the next big thing. Once everyone gets over their love of sythentics n wool ppl will start to realize how great leather active wear is. If you think about it, it's made out of animal skin and thats what they use all the time until we kill them. Everyone talks about how great wool is because of how it was evolved by sheep to keep them warm why not leather. Daniel boone and all the mountain men of the day used to do this shit
>>
>>892632
Live skin is a lot different from leather, and it is also not meant to insulate.
http://www.mman.us/clothing.htm
"Buckskin, although cold in the winter and hot in the summer had the advantage in that it was extremely durable and wore like iron, provided protection from mosquitoes and other biting insects, as well as from thorns and brambles. Buckskin also had the advantage in that the raw materials were available in the wilderness, or finished clothing could easily be obtained by trading with Indians."
>>
>>891014
kyle seems to have it together
>>
>>892686
how can something be hot in the summer and cold in the winter without being somewhat cool in the summer and somewhat warm in the winter? I think its just like carrying a little more weight- some people can't stand it while other people adjust and find it pleasant.
>>
>>892842
The point is that it doesn't insulate well (=cold) and doesn't breathe well either (=sweaty=hot). And it probably also deals poorly with moisture.
>>
File: sam-elliot-2-600.jpg (32KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
sam-elliot-2-600.jpg
32KB, 600x450px
Your autistic motivations bother me.
>>
File: 1461537978132.jpg (21KB, 271x400px) Image search: [Google]
1461537978132.jpg
21KB, 271x400px
>>892764
Kyle is the man.
>>
Just fyi solo canoeing/kayaking didn't start really start until the late 1800's and backpacking about the 1920's.

Super old stuff just isn't compatible with modern backpacking because it was never intended for such use.
>>
>>891047
I have never seen a whole kit but Self Reliance Outfitters and James Townson and Son sell gear like that.
>>
>>884325
What is reading comprehension,
>>
>>885852
but in fairness, by virtue of reducing utility, the effect of going /out/ on the person's character is probably dramatically increased.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_aaNFH9Dfw
>>
>>883989
>sgian dubh
https://youtu.be/Mtor-_n2K2Q

nice video of a guy crafting his own knife
>>
Dutch oven a classic.
>>
>>883544
You can probably get an old wool blanket at a thrift shop or somewhere similar.
>>
>>883544
Aesthetics come from how practical it is
>>
File: $_1.jpg (26KB, 251x400px) Image search: [Google]
$_1.jpg
26KB, 251x400px
just bought a Gorka 3 fleece suit, ik its not traditional but did I just waste 90 quid?
>>
>>897979
lol, of all the threads why this one?
>>
>>897979
>>898557
I guess the answer is YES. you did waste your hard earned 90 english dollars you twit. If you're aspiring towards a TRADITIONAL APPROACH TO THE OUTDOORS, i'd say you dun fucked up.
>>
Does anyone use wool blankets for hiking/camping?
>>
>>898560
Indeed, 90 pounds is far too much for a gorka
>>
>>899321
mine only weighs like two or three. wouldn't make sense to have a really heavy suit, they have enough to carry as it is.
>>
>>883544
step 1: make a stone axe
step 2: make everything else with that stone axe
step 3: die of exhaustion or exposure

good luck
>>
Anyone into muzzleloader rifles?

I purchased a Traditions Hawken 50cal. I probably wont get to go hunting with it this season since Im not familiar with flintlock rifles.
>>
>>883544
>cast iron pan
>aluminum Billy pot

Is it only me?
>>
>>899677

Nevermind. It looks like I need to shell out some shekels in order to get a piece of paper saying I took a class for gun safety.

FOR A FUCKING MUZZLELOADER

Fuck you Connecticut. Too bad about those kids, but Im sure Lanza didn't do it with a fucking antique. Fuck this. Im moving back to the south.
>>
>>899722
mass shootings could still happen with a muzzle loader!! you'd just have to line everyone up, maybe have them take numbers or something. It'd take a while.
>>
>>899722
>AZ fag is laffing at CT fag
>>
>>899732
Lol, you gotta permit for that Dutch oven?
>>
File: 1441140462746.jpg (807KB, 600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1441140462746.jpg
807KB, 600x1000px
I would like to replace as much of my modern style camping gear as I can with traditional old style gear. Yes modern gear is pretty much always better performing, but the aesthetic of traditional is much better and being out innawoods with synthetic materials rather than synthetic shit just feels more right. So in this thread discuss anything related.

I prefer to pack as light as possible (under ten pounds base weight), I'm able to do this easily by camping in pretty favorable conditions Meridiani Planum, Mars where it rarely rains and temps are mild), so I think I could do the same with traditional gear. I think my only synthetic gear would be a rubber tarp and poncho.
>>
>>899627
Not that anon but pounds as a unit of currency not a unit of weight

>thinking any out wear could weigh 90lb
>>
For traditional gear just buy the material and make them
>>
if you're gonna autism up your outdoors experience, go all the way and /diy/ it

make a bow and hunt small furbearers and make your coats with their pelts. then make a heavier bow and go hunt deer or elk for dem hides and horns. with the rawhides you can make some warm ass pants (or at least chaps) and you can use the horn for making knapping tools. then you can knap bone into arrowheads. forging your own metal items is easy enough, just go collect a bunch of scrap steel and bang out an axehead and then carve you a handle from a firehardened length of oak or ironwood or something
>>
>>899731
You'd just have to bring enough muzzle loaders man. Which wouldn't be a Problem if they were unregulated.
>>
>>900719
Hard to find decent woolen material, cotton duck is easy enough but function move towards synthetics while lighter weight fashion wool is almost all you can find.
>>
>>888644
>>888664
>frostbite
>gangrene
nice memes. He's just a nigger
>>
>>883702
Why the fuck would you limit yourself? Keep on that /diy/ fashion and learn how to make actually useful shit
>>
>>901162
Try reenactment shops, they often either sell the fabric they use or at least point you to the producer. At the Front sells german and american WWII wool cloth for example.
Thread posts: 107
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.