[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you feel about this guy and his story, /out/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 11

File: slideshow.jpg (85KB, 980x400px) Image search: [Google]
slideshow.jpg
85KB, 980x400px
How do you feel about this guy and his story, /out/?
>>
>>882396
our culture romanticizes self destructive behavior
he is a prime example of this phenomenon
>>
I think the movie they made about him was way too angsty. The guy was pretty dumb for some of the decisions he made. The moral of this story is: don't eat any plants unless you know exactly what it is.
>>
>>882419
lol is that what the book and movie were trying to convey
>>
He's basically every poster on /out/:

A moron with no knowledge about the outdoors but is such an expert they're gonna move into the woods and live off of nuts and berries.
>>
>>882433
that was just a part of it. he spent like two years before just traveling around the country.
>>
>>882396
ODd on life; i can appreciate that... But it's puzzling how everyone is willfully blind to this man's symptoms of mental illness.
>>
>>882419
He starved to death. Jon cracker tried to save face
>>
should have fucked the loli in the trailer park

he probably did, who's kidding who
>>
>>882433

>He's basically every poster on /out/:

Implying anyone here has spent a night alone in the woods
>>
>>882469
innawoods*
>>
>>882476
Fuck off nigger
>>
>>882513
nigga*
>>
>>882412
Agreed.
>>
>>882396
Libtard that ignored common sense. He died.
>>
Great movie. I haven't read the book yet. It's unfortunate what happened to him, but people shouldn't write off McCandless as "idiot who starved" and ignore his philosophy. I mean part of the whole message was that he realized he'd made a mistake by running away from his family/ problems.
I've thought about running away from my life many times but it doesn't solve anything it just separates you from the problems you should face.
I think Chris McCandless was just seeking truth in his own way and unfortunately he chose a dangerous way to do it.
>>
File: wallpaper-2485652.jpg (413KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
wallpaper-2485652.jpg
413KB, 1920x1080px
why didnt he just start a forest fire... someone would have shown up to check it out. Id rather survive and get thrown in jail for arson and get fines than starve to death.
>>
>>882396
True Amerian hero, this guy introduced /out/ to a new generation.
Such a sad ending.
>>
>>882581
Shiet I "ran" away from home innawoods and now am in the military.
Running away from your problems is the shit.
>>
>>882578
>i don't like him so he must be a librul
He was a conservative with pop-libertaritan leanings in college (probably like your typical edgy undergrad who thinks he's the first person to discover Ayn Rand). He probably would have been turned off by the willful ignorance and racism in the teabagger and alt-right movements these days though.
>>
He was a jackass
>>
>>882777
Leave No Trace is a bit of a misnomer. It's more like leave as little trace as possible. I agree, somewhat. Trying too hard to minimize your impact can often detract from the experience of being outside, but I think it serves an important purpose in making sure that you don't ruin it for everyone else.
>>
>>882514
kek
>>
File: just set fire to it.jpg (43KB, 482x640px) Image search: [Google]
just set fire to it.jpg
43KB, 482x640px
>>882751
>trying to start a forest fire when the entire forest is thawing
>>
>>882819
>pretending water doesn't evaporate with heat
>>
>>882396
The guy was a fool. It's impossible to survive without the aide of having other people around.
>>
>>882762
People who think running away from your problems doesn't solve anything haven't actually tried it I think. Or they just don't run far enough.
>>
>>882973
>It's impossible to survive without the aide of having other people around.
Bullshit.

It's impossible to be a college drop out dumbass with romantic notions of living off the land in Alaska with almost no outdoor/survival knowledge.
>>
>>882980
Agreed
>>
People like to shit talk all the things he did wrong to make themselves feel better, but I really admire him. He completely rejected societies conventions of success and happieness in pursuit of his own self actualization. And despite the fact that he died due to insufficient survival skills and knowledge, he survived a long time in the bush when he was very under prepared, which is very impressive. Regardless of what he could and should have done, I think we all have a lot to learn from McCandelss' story in regard to achieving our own happiness. We should also learn that if you're going to go into the alaskan bush by yourself you should be properly prepared, but he has really inspired me and many others to further explore the outdoors and search for my own happieness rather than follow the well tread path that we are told to follow
>>
>>883439
>self actualization
>rejected societies conventions

Give me a fucking break. Motherfucker's dead. He didn't actualize shit. And he wasn't some brave, rebellious soul. He was a clearly troubled guy who desperately needed help, which he never received.

I'm all of running away from your problems and trying to carve out some new existence and happiness for yourself. I've done this 3 times in my life. My motto, "Burning bridges is a great way to move your ass." But it's also helpful to have some sort of fucking plan and to be aware of your own limitations. If you don't, you end up right back where you started. Or dead, like McCandless.
>>
>>882433
You can live on my nuts and berries
>>
The story was a scare tactic to keep people in cities and subservient to the secretive NWO government.

There's nothing wrong with going dark or off grid if you're smart about it. The guy went out in the wild without any proper education, training, skill sets or knowledge on how to survive without money or identification (which he promptly burned like an impulsive child)

Just a propaganda piece to keep people in their place and live out their life as a wage slave.
>>
>>882812
*kike
Pic related, my thoughts on this krakaur and his beloved book/movie.
>>
>>883622
Shhhh...
>>
>>883622
>live out their life as a wage slave.
he says after a hard day of begging for change while leeching off of the local Starbucks Wi-Fi
>>
>>882762
I think that depends on what your problems are. I have tried avoiding family members that I'm not close to because I didn't like the guilt of having a bad relationship with them. When I ran away it only made things much worse and ended up being wasted time that I could have spent with the people who care about me.
I think it's pretty generally accepted that running away from your problems isn't a good idea... and I think deciding to leave home is not necessarily the same thing as running from your problems.
>>
>>882777
>this much projecting
Howard Roark laughed.
>>
>>882396
I admire his independence and will.

Yes he was a little naive and he made fatal mistakes.

He was still a human being who led a very unique life. His was a unique perspective on the human experience. You may not share his perspective, but you can benefit from it.

On my bucket list is to hike to the magic bus and pay my respects.
>>
>>882966
>Pretending they staff lookout towers outside of fire season.
>>
>>882777
Sorry you're the typical liberal stereotype and got so mad. Fact remains...the movie made him out to be one liberal stupid fucking and very annoying kid.
>>
>>882396
he was a retard and a hippie born late
>>
>>884419
>morons throw around words they don't understand
the post
>>
>>882396
he was a fucking retard who's ideas about life got him killed. he has no practice or applicable skills and he was a pussy. he could have gone up there prepared and hunted plenty of food to keep himself alive and he would have never eaten any fucking wild plants.
>>
>>882980
People don't commit to running. You can't leave home and still check your facebook wall every day and expect things to be different.
>>
>>884286
I would add "travel America and meet members of its nomadic population who holds the same ideals and aren't dead" to my bucket list. McCandless was banks to the wall, but there are a lot of us out here, and some with more interesting stories.
>>
>>882396
Sorry about me ignorance, but I don't even know who this guy is.
>>
>>884724
It's not the plants that get me, it's his complete lack of regard for the effect snow melt would have on the river. Anyone can mix up which direction the veins run in a plant, but how do you forget the rivers roar in spring?
>>
>>882445
Underrated post.

He did what we all want do, but did it very poorly. He lacked the understanding of what he was getting into in Alaska due to his experiences elsewhere.
>>
he got lucky as shit finding the bus

shoulda cooked his meat and stored it not smoked it

berries is a shitty way to go, but it's an understandable fatal mistake

he basically did what ive always wanted to do but cant because of societal pressure

one day tho, im starting to think i wont ever marry so it'll just be me and i can live like a kerouac/steinbeck/mccandles/thoreau super-hybrid
>>
>>882396
Alaskan here.
He's still causing our state problems even after his death.
Every year romantic retards try to make the pilgrimage up to his bus and every year we're fishing their dumb fucking corpses out of the river.

He's a huge fucking joke up here.
http://onehotmessalaska.blogspot.com/2016/09/an-open-letter-to-basic-dumbfucks.html
>>
>>884286

Don't, you piece of shit.
You're going to cost my state tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars when we have to go and rescue you or your shredded, half-eaten corpse
>>
>>884834
The homeless thread is started and largely posted in by nomads. Fuck societal pressure. There are a lot of us out here already.
>>
>>884845
that gives me hope, that people can do it
>>
>>882581
Read the book before talking then dummy. It's a journalism piece. The movie is not real.
>>
>>883611
Not if you don't know how to identify the edible ones
>>
>>883622
But he had a book about berries with him.
>>
>>884836
I live 20 miles from that bus.

Fuck that bus. And fuck that rich kid having rich kid problems.

It's never the alaskans that go to see it, it's always shitty foreigners or college kids out on a spiritual journey that don't realize once you cross the savage river your in the deep shit.
>>
>>882396
I don't care about this guy and his story.
>>
>>884287
>implying nobody would notice big-ass fire with smoke and shit.
>>
>>884836
>http://onehotmessalaska.blogspot.com/2016/09/an-open-letter-to-basic-dumbfucks.html
>Just staaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhp. Seriously. I don't want to sound mean, but by all objective measures, you are dumb AF AF AF AF AF AF AF AF AF AF AF AF AF AF AF!

This had so much potential....
>>
>>884798
it's sean penn
>>
>>882396
my friend idolized him. I thought he was kind of a naive, sheltered douche

movie was reasonably entertaining
>>
>>887385
It's far enough out to not be noticed. The buildings closest to the trailhead are closed up in early october. Next property is owned by snow birds and they usually leave before winter.

Once the river freezes and the bears go to sleep it's really not too crazy of a hike. Unfortunately not to kill everyone's arsonist spirit. Most flammable parts of that bus have already been burned. And i don't think it would stop anyone from making the spiritual journey.

>>887402
Im not defending Mcrichkid douch, but As an alaskan that spends time in the outdoors doing alaska shit. I personally can't stand reading that article about some lazy fat fuck and his opinion. Anchorage-wasillaians are alaska trash and not real alaskans.
>>
File: 1477323607731.png (123KB, 186x320px) Image search: [Google]
1477323607731.png
123KB, 186x320px
>>882777
> discover Ayn Rand
We were made to read Atlas shrugged when I was in high school,and from what I hear The Fountainhead is still pretty standard curriculum
>>
>>887407
Movie was shit. And the music was horrendous. While thing made me think Sean Penn is a douche.
>>
I'm glad one person's story has convinced me to view the others like him as stupid and naïve. I'll never take a chance with any ideal that doesn't involve or guarantee my security.
>>
File: screen3332.jpg (5MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
screen3332.jpg
5MB, 4032x3024px
>>882396
dude had some mental problems. Sure his family life wasn't perfect. His dad who worked for NASA and had two wives. the guys was also verbal and fiscally abusive to his mother. However, he had a pretty cushy life compared to your average human. Everything was provided for him. A nice house, a chance to go to college with everything paid for, and a car. Most motherfuckers would kill to have half of what he had. But he refused it all and then went on to kill himself by being reckless as fuck and not listening to anyone's advice.
>>
>>882419
>>882447

No, they actually found a bag full of poisonous plants in the bus. An Alaska native said that you never ever consume that shit.

I can't remember If I saw it in the documentary or the 20/20 story (which was made years before the movie)
>>
>>882412
Really made me think
>>
File: 1437000848599.jpg (59KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1437000848599.jpg
59KB, 1920x1080px
>>883801
>>882762

and you don't have to go very far to avoid shitty family members. I just stopped visiting and they did the same. It guess it was an unspoken mutual agreement of you stay on your side of town and I stay on mine. My only regret is not doing it sooner. Having downers out of your life is so damn liberating not dealing with Drama. I also have more time to only do the things I truly enjoy. LOL , Fucking got into ball dancing to meet girls. Psst is mostly older woman and fun as hell.
>>
>>882396
I think he's a jackass and a dumbass.
>>
File: image.jpg (100KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
100KB, 450x450px
>>882973
Jesus survived 40 days in the desert alone. He was even tempted by Satan for help but resisted
>>
>>882433
>implying anyone on this board would last 2+ years hitchhiking and walking around the country with no money

We'd literally all be home or dead by the third week.
>>
>>889910
>things that never happened
>>
>>882419
But it wasn't the plant that killed him, it was starvation caused by the plant.
>>
What's funny is that every single one of you would leave society if given the chance yet you loathe the kid that had the actual fucking guts to do it. Not to mention this was the early nineties when information was harder to get so the whole "LOL WHAT A RETARD HE DIED EATING THE WRONG PLANT" is literally the shittiest fucking argument.

Who gives a fuck if he died? He died doing what made him happiest, in the end he found his meaning and that's really all there is to life.
>>
>>882396
He's the hero of /out/ like Zyzz is for /fit/

They both lived their desired lives and passed on way too early.
>>
>>882396
Nice and good story.

bJjfsZaxWhtpFbmxtS
>>
>>890073
so it wasnt the plants fault
but it was?
>>
>>889910
What kind of dog is that?
>>
File: (You).png (33KB, 1020x426px) Image search: [Google]
(You).png
33KB, 1020x426px
>>889946
t. jew
>>
>>890073
>It wasn't the bullet that killed him, it was bleeding caused by the bullet.
>>
I think both the Lovers and the Haters have elevated McCandless to a completely unwarranted level of notoriety. There's nothing particularly unique or special about his story. Lots of people have done the same and lived or died.

It also makes me sad that Krakour will only be remembered on /out/ for this guy, because "Into Thin Air" is such a better book.
>>
>>882396
He was actually ambitious and pretty resourceful, and made a few mistakes a lot of other people would have made in the same circumstances. Interesting guy.
>>
File: bird.jpg (11KB, 480x288px) Image search: [Google]
bird.jpg
11KB, 480x288px
>>882396
superior movie with better moral values than retard's adventure into suicide.
>>
>>884813
>but how do you forget the rivers roar in spring?

someone who has never seen a river in the spring.
>>
Cool story, I think he was an asshole and quite stupid.
There's this period before being homeless, I'll say 4 years, if you brush your teeth, care for your feet, know how to hide, scavenge, etc. then you'll probably survive.
He didn't, he went from "working man" to whatever the fuck he thought he was doing. I think all the lower classes looked kind of the same to him...
>>
>>889859
That's not how depression works, anon.
>>
>>882973
Shut it, dummy.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Thomas_Knight
>>
>>893139
>commit at least 1000 robberies to get food and supplies
>survive without the aid of having other people around
>>
Gotta give him respect that he had balls, maybe not all there in the head but his heart was in the right place

Most of us wouldn't make it as far as him, alot of armchair critics out there

He's always gonna be a icon for young people with a wander lust
>>
>>883645
Damn you're real invested in validating your opinions, aren't you?
>>
>>884635
Nothing new here pal move along
>>
>>883826
Please tell the class all about your psychology major, whiteboy supertramp
Thread posts: 95
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.