[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fishing & Tackle Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 102

File: IMG_0530.jpg (76KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0530.jpg
76KB, 450x600px
#94- "5+5=10" Edition

Previous Thread:
>>878365

Next bread will be "Fly Boy" for the tripfag. Gotta post this before I burn my pizza...

Anybody else have anything to add to the Pastebin or Imgur? I put a little saltwater one in there, but I want to do a river one possibly and trout. Just a summary of good spots to target, how to fish those spots, some simple rigs, and a good tackle setup for the beginner.

Thinking about picking up a new hobby? Want to get a memecaster? Haven't mastered the Palomar knot? Click here!
http://www.pastebin.com/u/fishingandtackle
https://imgur.com/a/1Xw3N

Talk about fishin
>>
>>880666
Is the one on the left pregnant?
>>
File: IMG_0539.jpg (40KB, 600x382px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0539.jpg
40KB, 600x382px
>>880668
She still has an innie. So not too pregnant.
>>
File: image.jpg (353KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
353KB, 750x1334px
this is the only dude I caught today. He was super feisty though and really pretty.

I also haven't really had a problem with spiderwire. Although the rod I use it on is mostly for cranks and spinnerbaits so that might be why.
>>
>>880666
i can type up some basics about trout etc, it may take me a while to get to it
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>880671
>>
Repostin in new thread, for the benefit of all dinkposters

Have you seen the new Microfinesse lure series from Eurotackle? Extreme Philly Fishing has been doing a 3 day tourney using it and I was intrigued so I bought one or two colors of each kind. Going to fish them tomorrow

https://youtu.be/89cGdLzPTPs [Embed]
>>
File: IMG_0540.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0540.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>880674
Damn, that has some nice spots. I think my favorite is when largemouth get the real distinct lines behind their eyes but the ones I catch down here barely even have a lateral line most of the time. They are just white on the bottom and really dark green on top.

>>880665
Those are cool. I have been lookin around for more stuff like that. I need to stop by Bass Pro and search the panfish section more. But even there they don't carry much beyond curly tail grubs. Pic related is just random small shit I have gathered over the years. I recently grabbed these small NetBait crawfish deals called "Paca Chunks" when they were on clearance at Gander Mtn. They are maybe 2" or 2.5", but a little too large for Mayans and Bluegill which sucks. I would be down to find something like that maybe half the size.
>>
>>880677
I got the microfinesse lures in the mail today. They are some of the softest plastics I've ever had, I imagine they have insane action. I never really have luck on those tube jigs in your pic with the squid arms, how do you usually fish them?
>>
File: IMG_0541.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0541.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>880680
I haven't fished those tubes in fucking forever. I probably bought that assorted pack of tubes close to 20yrs ago and somehow still have a few in the tackle box.

Pic related is those Paca Chunks. I wish they were like 2/3 the size. They would be good for big crappie, but the Mayans have small mouths and so do the bluegill around here so only the biggest fish would be able to take them.

I want Zoom to make panfish baits. Like 2" lizards, brush hogs, and 1.5" speed craws. Maybe tiny 2.5" finesse and curly tail worms.

And the soft plastic, I bet it is like the Z-Man plastics. They are really soft and stretchy. But be careful storing them next to other soft baits or shit like spinnerbaits and jigs with skirts because it might eat away at them. The Z-Man soft baits really don't get along with certain types of rubber and soft plastic.
>>
>>880682
I haven't tried, but I would think the 4" lizards and brush hogs would work pretty good for the bigger ones.
>>
>>880682
I store them in their original packages when they are pheremone impregnated like these.

I am really stoked about the Anisoptera from the microfinesse line. It's a mimic of dragonfly larvae, and the ponds I fish are thick with dragonflies so I imagine it is an important forage for the fish
>>
>>880668
Pregnant with too many buckets of chicken and 40s.
>>
File: IMG_3211.png (2MB, 1242x2208px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3211.png
2MB, 1242x2208px
Thanks skid.

I saves all the info in my notes and made myself a list for tomorrow
>>
File: IMG_0106.png (54KB, 470x698px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0106.png
54KB, 470x698px
>>880691
Saved*
>pic related, its me
>>
>>880666
Pespi frag email me back a copy/paste of my two flyfishing posts and I'll add to them for the pastebin if you want
>>
File: IMG_7374.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7374.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>880685
The 4" lizards probably wouldn't even work for me. If it were crappie or big green sunfish, they would probably work. But the bluegill around here have tiny mouths and even the bigger Mayans that are close to 10", I can barely get my thumb in their mouths to lip them.
>>
>>880682
2345A3Pacman? Dafuq kinda ruler is that thing?
>>
how do i sharpen my hooks bros
>>
File: hook_sharpen03.jpg (33KB, 640x639px) Image search: [Google]
hook_sharpen03.jpg
33KB, 640x639px
>>880701
simple as this
>>
File: IMG_0544.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0544.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>880700
Russian students taking English classes get those.

>>880701
Buy new ones.

But they sell little stones to sharpen them. My diamond Smiths deal has a little groove for hooks. I never sharpen the hooks though. It doesn't take much force to punch even a dull hook through a fish's lip and you can swap out trebles on most hard baits if you really need to.
>>
>>880694
Should be pretty well set
And don't be surprised by suckers and bluegill while you're fishing for trout, I've even heard of carp and catfish while swinging wooly buggers, though dry flies are pretty much dead until April, but let me tell you, catching fish on fly is a spiritual experience
And learning to cast tie a piece of yarn an inch long onto the end of a tippit, then fray the ends
It will give resistance like a bulky dry fly and if you lose it no big deal
If you can turn that over you can turn anything over
You'll also wantbsome gink to float dry flies, ignore xink, I tried it but it doesn't seem to sink flies faster
You'll need to also cast 6-10 feet ahead of where you want to present your fly
>>
>>880666
me in the middle
>>
>>880701
Smith makes a small stone, its round tapered on one end, its a cylinder with one side flat and a grouve on the other
I'd say its 600-800 grit and I keep one in my tackle box
Its also good for an emergency Knife sharpener
I'd buy another if this breaks or gets lost
>>
File: sgfdsg.jpg (38KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
sgfdsg.jpg
38KB, 640x480px
>>880710
There are about 300 people up one town north of me fishing for salmon in town since its fly only season. How ass blasted do you think those old farts would get if my nooby ass showed up and threw some line?
>>
>>880716
Extremely blasted. My first fishing experience was trying to pier fish ass to elbows with salty old Vietnamese dudes who didn't speak English. I predictably snagged one of their lines and they were of course very salty. It won't go well, bro. Go somewhere where you can fuck up with some reasonable expectation of privacy, trust me you'll be glad you did
>>
>>880716
You'll have a hell of a time getting salmon on anything less than an 8 weight
You can try but the second you hook up you'll regret it I'm sure
Put that off for next year
>>
Do light rods help casting distance? Like how far could I cast a rooster tail on one?
>>
>>880725
Anything under 1/4th of an ounce you will be casting way farther with a light or ultra light rod. The difference is quite amazing really

>tfw trying to cast 1/64th oz jigs with a medium heavy rod
>>
>>880725
No, not really. Line weight matters much more. And you want a rod that works well with that type of lure because heavy baits on a light rod won't cast well at all. Another thing is to make sure the spool is full of line. If a soinning reel is underfilled, it will hurt your casting distance.

If it is a smaller 1/8oz Rooster Tail, 4lb line and a light to medium rod will give you some good distance. 2lb line will cast it even further but depends what you are trying to catch. 6lb line will give you a fair cast but any more than 8lb and it will really suffer with a 1/8oz lure.
>>
>>880726
Fuck casting 1/4oz lures on UL rods. They start to flex way too much unless it has some nice fast action. But the main UL rod I was using for a long time was a UL Ugly Stik and any size Ugly Stik will already have slow action so that rod really didn't like anything more than 1/8oz and even then I would rather put the 1/8oz lure on a L or even a ML/M with slower action. I recently put that reel on another cheap UL rod with faster action but it is still suited best for stuff closer to 1/16oz.

My M Fenwick has slower action and even with 20lb braid it seems to like 1/8oz to 1/4oz spinners and inlines.
>>
>>880716
Literally wtf
>>
>>880753
As aposed to "figuratively wtf"?
>>
File: 20161016_092700.jpg (2MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161016_092700.jpg
2MB, 3984x2988px
20+ mph winds all weekend. Might be done for the year...on soft water at least.
>>
>>880732
BTW, I've fished that UL Panfish Series St. Croix a few times now and absolutely love it. It is amazing how much faster the action is on it. Would recommend. Also, I never throw 1/4oz lures on the UL setup, always under 1/4oz
>>
>>880725
What kind of reel are you using?
>>
>>880607

this guy >>880016 isnt me i was just butting in to say im from florida and the majority of places i fish DO have a length limit on crappie which is 10 inches. The state record is much larger than 14 inches btw, 10 inches is not that large for a speck
>>
>>880702
Except you want something with much much smaller grit than a file. Look into getting a little whetstone, I have one and it sharpens em up real good.
>>
>>880753
Yeah, at good salmon spots on the river where I live, 20 people will line up like that and cast drifting rigs with plastic beads. Legal fishing begins 1 hour before sunrise, so they are in partial darkness. And somehow never get tangled. I would be so worried to mess up somebody's line.
>>
File: Xj6emb9GCa-8.png (32KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
Xj6emb9GCa-8.png
32KB, 300x250px
Complete beginner here and have a dumb question. Apologize for my shitty terminology.

Was fishing at a lake and I hooked something that must of been a giant or I'm just too much a beginner to actually reel something like that in. I felt a few nibbles on my line, didn't jerk it or anything. All of a sudden, my rod bends like fucking crazy. I, for the life of me, could not reel whatever that thing was in. My question is, is it because I'm using a dirt cheap rod, too big/small of a hook, or did I somehow wind up hooking a log or some shit?
>>
>>880818
>My question is, is it because I'm using a dirt cheap rod,
No

>too big/small of a hook,
No although too small a hook will cause missed hookups on larger fish
And obvs too big a hook and you'll miss smaller fish although I caught a 6" crappie on a 5/0 EWG before

>or did I somehow wind up hooking a log or some shit?
Most likely a large snapping turtle

If you feel quick nibbles that are kinda hard then it's almost always a turtle
>>
File: 2016-10-22 01.31.22.jpg (2MB, 1512x2016px) Image search: [Google]
2016-10-22 01.31.22.jpg
2MB, 1512x2016px
>>880666
I live in Tempe AZ and have no fishing friends. Used to live in Illinois and hit up great lakes salmon runs all the time with friends and local bass in the spring summer and fall and would ice fish all the time. Now that I live here its like I have to pull teeth with people to go with me. No one gives a fuck that I meet.

It's ironic because Arizona has a surprising amount of lakes and ponds and river fishing but everyone is too busy smoking weed or being a piece of shit to go anywhere.

Even bought a Tonto pass for the year to park at some of the lakes so people can ride with me and not pay and people still won't go.

I'm getting genuinely depressed friends of the internet. The last two weekends I have just laid in bed staring at the ceiling. Didn't ever think I would miss the Midwest man...

People here are garbage. It's the city life that turns everyone to shit or something. I'm trapped in a giant sprawling suburb.

Been chasing after flathead and can't figure it out catching them yet. Got a lot of channel cats, bass, trout, etc etc....

Being an adult sucks. People look at you like your crazy if you just ask them at random to hang out or go fishing. I'm only 23 but this shit is seriously making me depressed.

Sorry for the blog post but if anyone knows a local club or meet up or something please tell me. I will even hang out with 70 year olds. I don't care.
>>
>>880823
Also same guy here if anyone knows good bass patterns specifically to the Arizona Area for roosevelt lake and further south or in that area I would like to know. I have only been here a year and just in the last 5 months have gotten new fishing gear as I sold all my old stuff to fund my move for school and to buy new conceal carry guns for my fiance and I.
>>
>>880823
>>880831
Not in Arizona but I may be in New Mexico beginning next year and the fishing must be similar so your post is of interest to me

I live in NC now and would hate to have to give up bass fishing in favor of another target species
>>
>>880823
>everyone is too busy smoking weed or being a piece of shit to go anywhere
bruh I've dealt with that shit since I was 15. I'm 22 now and it still seems like the only thing people ever want to do is get drunk and smoke weed while doing nothing. I like fishing, camping, and hunting so my whole life I've only ever had 2-3 friends at a time since thats all I can find who arent the WEEEEED DUDE LMAO kind of shithead kids.

It sucks but it's what the country is now.
>>
>>880851
Seconded
20 and the guys I salt and ice fishing with are all 65-85
>>
>>880823
>Tonto pass
Sounds racist
>>
File: 1470514408495.png (508KB, 3072x2275px) Image search: [Google]
1470514408495.png
508KB, 3072x2275px
>>880853
It's a pass for waters in the Tonto national forest. What are you talking about? Is Tonto a bad word for natives or something lol.

>>880847
Bass are everywhere here man. The problem is the people of Phoenix are garbage in my opinion. New Mexico looks nice and I have driven through it a few time visiting family back home

>>880851
I get smoking and drinking. I used to do it a lot more in college but at a certain point it's time to be an adult and enjoy life not flashing by in drunk weekends you don't remember lol.

It's seriously disgusting how little of a fuck people I know give about stuff. I need to get out of my apartment and move into a house and get a boat already. Maybe some guys on the for fun tournament circuit are not garbage.

>>880852
I need to find some old guys to hang out with and not be a degenerate and just enjoy fishing.
>>
>>880847
Get into fly fishing on trout streams. There are plenty in NC and plenty in New Mexico. In a day of fishing you hike a few miles in and out of some beautiful mountain forests.
If you've never been out west before the openness is gonna blow your mind.
>>
>>880821
>If you feel quick nibbles that are kinda hard then it's almost always a turtle

This. It kind of helps to have seen how fissh eat. Every fish eats different;y.

Bass tend to inhale the whole thing and run.

Crappie will swallow, semi swallow and more casually go about their way.

Sunfish will nab whatever corner they can fit in their mouth, then swim off trying to suck the rest down.

Gar will snap it up in their bony jaws and swim around for 5 minutes as they maneuver the food around in their mouth.

Catfish will generally mouth a bait and swim a short distance before swallowing.

Red Eared sliders and other smaller species take a piece and either try to swim off with it to avoid other turtles, or use their foreclaws to grab the food and pull it away from their mouth, tearing off chunks. Lots of misses, but the fuckers are smrt enough to know when you're out there "feeding" them and will stay in the area and be really aggressive. Softshells and snapping turtles are more likely to grab a bait and then try to gulp it down and swim off, and tend to get hooked up more on the first good hit, but are less likely to stick around.

When you start fishing, part of the challenge will be missing lots of fish as you try to figure out how soon/late to try and set the hook.
>>
File: please.jpg (26KB, 500x320px) Image search: [Google]
please.jpg
26KB, 500x320px
>>880876
All turtles should be exterminated like the normie scum they are. Fucking bait stealing fags.
>>
>>880877

I'd sooner kill bullheads, hardheads, and pinfish.

With turtles, you can just move, fish when it's cooler, or snag a couple, or go to saltwater, fish faster moving water, etc, and that solves 99% of your problems.

Those other fuckers are almost inescapable.
>>
>>880823
Ehh, you will find a bunch of people who say they want to go fishing. Specifically coworkers. I have 4 different coworkers who always say they want to go fishin and then flake out at the last minute. Eventually you will just give up and enjoy fishin by yourself.

Idk if anybody remembers the story about the one dude who told me "For sure we will go at sunrise tomorrow!" So I blew up his phone at like 5am on a Sunday and even went to a lake closer to his place. I was working with dude a couple weeks ago and he says his wife still gives him a bunch of shit about flaking like that which made me laugh.

And all my friends in IL are too busy smoking weed to do anything so I don't even give a fuck that I moved away from all of them. My best friend from up there turned into a thieving junkie after I moved and has been in and out of jail a bunch for the past couple years.
>>
>>880818
If you could actually move it a little bit or feel some movement, it was probably a turtle. When you hook a big snapping turtle, they like to just dig down and try to stay in place but they will claw at the line with their front legs so you can sometimes feel that until they just snap the line.

>>880876
Snakeheads have a fun bite because it is like bluegill to the max. When fishing soft baits, they like to grab half of it and just take off.

>>880877
+1
>>
>>880823
>Been chasing after flathead and can't figure it out catching them yet.

Get a live sunfish between 2 and 6 or so inches long. Hook him through the nose with a khale or circle hook.

Find moving water and then let him loose along overhanging banks, near sunken logs, or any other kind of cover.

>> People look at you like your crazy if you just ask them at random to hang out or go fishing. I'm only 23 but this shit is seriously making me depressed.

Similar thing happened to me when I moved out near Austin. I just went fishing and talked to people who're also out. If you go often enough to the same sport, you'll meet the same people and get to know them. They'll tell you all the good spots.

I talk a lot about fishing with other guys though. We meet up every once in a while, but it's more of a "I'm fishing anyway, and try to make it if you can," thing than a real plan. Nobody's feelings get hurt if someone decides to sleep in or life/work gets in the way.
>>
File: 1476013418815.jpg (50KB, 600x549px) Image search: [Google]
1476013418815.jpg
50KB, 600x549px
>>880884
I don't know any real drug addicts I guess. It's not like a live and work around criminals on a daily basis but I have made like 2 really friends here and neither like fishing.

Both hike which is good but every other person flakes out constantly or pretends to be interested once and never answers a text or call again.

The amount of people who skip out on even the one day trips without an overnight stay is ridiculous.

Everyone says "my girlfriend ....my fat wife .......my fat self......
.. says I can't go blah blah blah blah I got too ducked up last night bro".

It just gets old.

Thinking of buying a Hobie pro angler kayak in 12 or 14 feet and just going alone....

Just depressing I can't find people to regularly fish local water. Even shore and pond fishing people won't come. I live in a City of 5 million and no one cares and the only people I see are retarded white trash rednecks with a 20 dollar Walmart rod or a retarded Mexican rednecks with a 20 dollar Walmart rod who yells loudly about nothing and throws their ghetto version of a drops hot with a no. 5 EWG superline gamagatsu hook with a 3 inch pink worm all while they leave crushed bud lite next to the water line.
>>
File: 1449103391188.jpg (7KB, 250x242px) Image search: [Google]
1449103391188.jpg
7KB, 250x242px
>>880887
I have been using live and dead and everything in between. Just been unlucky at this point I think but hopefully next weekend I can hit a reservoir and get by the dam and stay the night.

If I don't get one at that point I may just be retarded.
>>
>>880889
>I live in a City of 5 million and no one cares and the only people I see are retarded white trash rednecks with a 20 dollar Walmart rod or a retarded Mexican rednecks with a 20 dollar Walmart rod who yells loudly about nothing and throws their ghetto version of a drops hot with a no. 5 EWG superline gamagatsu hook with a 3 inch pink worm all while they leave crushed bud lite next to the water line.

I've fished enough to know that you're exaggerating or don't go fishing often enough. Because you most definitely aren't the only exception to the above.

Last time I went surf fishing, I wasn't catching anything. Then some Mexican guys came over and started catching sharks. They barely spoke a word of English and I barely spoke a word of Spanish, but we still communicated, traded some beer and I learned how to tie a shark rig, the bait to use, and started catching black tips and bullsharks in the surf. They gave me their extra shark and I gave them my Gaffftops. Had a great time.
>>
>>880889
Yeah that's the problem with being an adult. Everybody I work with has real priorities on the weekends or is just lazy while I'm just over here eating Capn Crunch and tryin to kill some snakeheads.

And that one dude just got arrested again Thursday. Tried to call me yesterday from the jail but I missed the phone call and they don't let you call back so I gotta try and catch a call today. I don't even want to hear him complain and shit though. He got involved with a junkie girl, they started stealing shit all day everyday to support their habit, I told him it was going to go downhill really fast when it all started but he claimed they were in love. Now the girl is gone, his kids are gone, the house is gone, and everything is catching back up to him.

He got pulled over in Oakbrook, called me from Oakbrook PD real late Thurs night, got transferred to Dupage where he probably missed a court date, has a $300 bail from there, but after Dupage he is gonna get sent to Lake Co where he has a $5000 bail so he must have fucked up good in Lake Co.
>>
>>880897
I would believe sitting on shore I would meet people like that. I actually want to find a group of people and not some random one off meet up.

I will say every time I have been to Florida and harbor, pier, and surf fished I met a lot of people and got help if I needed.

Something about the college town I live in and people I know is just terrible for fishing.

I could care less if the people I meet are Mexican dude. The point was the people I run into trash the fisheries, yell, and drink in public before shambling back to their car.

My money situation is tight right now so I don't have a boat and can't really buy in on tournaments these days.

I'm very sure I just haven't run into the right people yet but it still sucks man.
>>
>>880898
Lake County is quickly becoming cook county tier crime and drugs man. My dad is a probation officer for cook county. So yeah. Lake County is going to bend him over bad.

When I moved out to Arizona he told me as bad as random border crime is here to enjoy a less corrupt department than Chicago or lake County Gurnee area police. Which I found shocking because he worked under Joe arpaio here back in the day and he STILL says it's better lol.

At least IL has conceal carry these days.

But yeah I need to drop the pot head aquantinces and find some sportsmen. It's just hard in a new city dealing with stupid adult social faux paws and meeting friends. It's easier to hit up women sometimes than find a guy who will actually fish and not cry the whole time or drink or smoke hahaha.

Yes yes....I'm bitching and being a drama queen I just miss my gang of friends and I throwing spoons at day and glow spoons at night during the salmon run lol.
>>
>>880901

I think you mentioned a reservoir. Try the spillway early on weekday mornings. Early mornings are when all the dedicated old timers are out. They're already awake. They're retired and don't have a job to get to. They'll want to be gone when it gets hot and/or big crowds show up.

Spillways are also great places to catch flatheads.
>>
>>880903
Lake Co has been getting fucked since the 90s when the city of Chicago thought it was a good idea to tear down the hood just south of the Loop and build expensive condos and townhomes and send all the nigs to fucking Round Lake Beach and bullshit up there.
>>
>>880904
I will have to check them out then. Never thought of going to the outflow area. Pretty much every single lake in Arizona is reservoir I believe. Not much "natural" water in the Sonoran desert lol.
>>
>>880905
Round lake has become kind of a shit hole. The real treat is zion or Waukegan. Those are true shitholes lol.

The irony is that these days and in Phoenix as well the inner city areas are safer than the suburbs because none of the gang members nig or non nig can afford the high city rent anymore.

Could be worse I guess. They could have let the Asian carp into lake Michigan but somehow that has still been avoided.
>>
File: image.jpg (80KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80KB, 640x1136px
>>880812
>Legal fishing begins 1 hour before sunrise

Y'all can't into late night fishing? That kinda blows
>>
File: IMG_0643.jpg (107KB, 362x358px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0643.jpg
107KB, 362x358px
>low 40's and raining for the last 5 days
>>
File: 1453982194952.jpg (41KB, 375x592px) Image search: [Google]
1453982194952.jpg
41KB, 375x592px
>>880913
>still mid to high 90s at lakes an hour or 2 north of Phoenix and the valley area
>>
File: IMG_3212.jpg (174KB, 575x431px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3212.jpg
174KB, 575x431px
>>880911
Not that guy your responding too but I posted the pic of the people in the river I live near. Starting in august you are only allowed to fish the river with flys so if you go out late at night or super early you are probably snagging. Everywhere else is fine
>>
File: IMG_3213.jpg (288KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3213.jpg
288KB, 1920x1080px
>>880915
>Forecasted 3-4 inches of snow tonight

Just fuck my panfish season up senpai. Only thing I have left to look forward to is the lake freezing over so I can get the ice fishing shit out
>>
>>880916

This is what Texas creeks and reservoirs start looking like during the spring crappie and white bass runs.
>>
>>880920
I hate it so much. They leave shit everywhere. I fish there the entire year and then all of the sudden every year within the same few weeks everything goes to absolute shit and I can't even bring myself up there without raging at their degeneracy. Soon as the snow starts they will fuck off though thankfully
>>
>>880919
Only thing I KNOW I don't miss from Illinois is fucking snow.

I'm also not sure the last time I saw real actual rain that lasted for more than a minute to be honest. Probably in like June or early July but it was a lot of rain.
>>
File: download_0.jpg (6KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
download_0.jpg
6KB, 275x183px
>>880921
You can tell the guys under the bridge in the water are the ones who actually care about fishing.
>>
File: 2121213213.png (118KB, 327x333px) Image search: [Google]
2121213213.png
118KB, 327x333px
>>880921
>>880920
>>880916
>snowing, cold as shit
>decide to go to local small lake on a whim to musky fish
>whip up some spoons on the bench
>fill one Thermos with hot coffee and one with hot stew, pack up and drive off
>get to lake
>elbow room only, 3-5 fishermen deep on the shore
>water looks like fucking Lake Havasu spring break packed with fishing boats
>every 3rd line is tangled with neighbors' line
>kids screaming and running around
>trash EVERYWHERE
>MFW

I neglected to check the dates. It is the time when wildlife management stocks farm raised trout. You'd have thought they were dumping gold coins in the water.
>>
File: IMG_0416.jpg (250KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0416.jpg
250KB, 800x600px
>>880911
>coors heavy
Yeah boi. That's the most underrated and under appreciated cheaper beer sold. That's why I want to marry this girl so bad.

>>880922
Same here. It's been so nice here the past couple weeks ever since Matthew passed. Last time I went to IL it reminded me what overcast skies look like since that doesn't really happen in South Florida.
>>
So I'm headed to the NC coast next month to visit family and do some fishing- most likely on the beach or a pier.

The redfish, trout, and flounder bite is on down here in Texas, but I'm wondering what's biting up there this time of year and how I catch it.
>>
File: IMG_3214.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3214.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Why the fuck have I never came in this tackle shop. I've passed it hundreds of times and this is the first time I went in, shits op as fuck
>>
>>880949
Nice.

There is a big saltwater tackle shop a couple blocks from my house. Tons of high end stuff. Only problem is it's all saltwater.
>>
File: IMG_3217.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3217.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I kinda blew it skid, these are all I could find and some of them I just got cause they looked neat
>>
>>880973
Yikes, looks like you missed some key ones like the buggers
>>
>>880987
They didnt have any. They had 4 big trays full of thousands of flies and not a single one had those wooley buggers. Ill try again in the spring when the salmon run isnt in full swing
>>
>>880989
Order some online. Amazon has probably has at least one option for anything you can think of. Otherwise there are specialty websites. Or if you're interested you could get a vise and tools and tie your own
>>
Did some fishing, yet again no luck. Im cursed, but dang I still have a good time.

That pond was beautiful, and once the water gets a bit clearer; since it rained heavy last night.

The odd thing is that from research the park is good for carps and catfish, so it could explain the lack of fishing hitting my mepps... which i lost at the end to a snag 5 feet infront of me.
>>
>>880989
They are really super easy to make, fyi. For the same price of buying a few, you can buy materials to make dozens of them.
>>
>>881003
Id rather just wait till the spring and buy them in person so I know exactly what i'm getting. Not like im going to be doing any fly fishing now anyway, snow is comin
>>
>>881022
for 1.50 a fly and the actual amount of fly fishing I will be doing next spring its really not worth taking the time to make my own and buy the stuff to do so. Im still a memcasting bass fisherman at heart
>>
>>880944
A lot of my nc buddies are getting bull drum and trout
Yesterday a friend posted a fat 47 incher
He got
>>880949
I'm about to look at a new one too
Earlier I checked out fin feather and fur outfitters and it was insane
>>881003
Amazon does but I'd reccomend going to Cabela's, their flies are super clean and you can get most flies by 3 or by the dozen
But you Won't find any wooly buggers under size 10 but you can live without them
You can also get tippit building materials, there
It being salmon season also doesn't help
You should also familiarise yourself with the term "spinner" "run" and "cripple"
If you fish still water trout at all you'll -need- mayfly, stonefly, and caddisfly cripples
But you don't need to worry about dries until spring and terrestrials can wait til June
Just worry about nymphs
You'll need strike indicators and mini solitshot too
Just raid the flyfishing section of Cabelas.com
>>
>>881025
Will bass pro have them?
>>
>>881024
I'd just add that they are fun to make too lol
>>
I haven't been here for a while. Has pepsi gone saltwater fishing yet?
>>
>>881027
Maybe but you will probably have to go online regardless
>>881036
No
But he moved closer to the ocean to ignore it even harder
>>
>>881009
When fishing with lures, I prefer the water to be a bit murky.

For catfish and carp, I like to do a ~1/2oz bell weight or a handful of split shots like 18" above the hook. Then regular Aberdeed or baitholder hook for carp is using corn or treble for white bread. And catfish I will do a baitholder hook with nightcrawlers or the treble hook dip bait rigs if using stink bait.

There are probably Bass if you are running a Mepps, but you have to find the right time and the good spots. Dusk and dawn are typically the best, find an area with smaller fish in a shallow spot and then a dropoff to deeper water and the bass will hang out near that dropoff late in the afternoon when the sun is going down.
>>
>>881038
What's his deal? Does he hate saltwater fishing that much?
>>
>>881009

For big catfish, catch a panfish, cut him in half and stick a size 1 or bigger hook into a corner. Cast the chunk of fish out, secure your rod, and leave the bail open.

When line starts going out, wait about 5 to 20 seconds then set the hook.

If you're on a smaller pond and not dealing with wind or current, weight is unecessary. Hell in my experience, weights are a liability and I avoid them whenever possible.
>>
>>881072
He "doesnt want to be stuck shoulder to shoulder at the peir" and "hates fishing with bait because he doesnt have the patience for it" even through he has everything he needs to fish saltbwith lures except maybe some bucktail jigs
>>
>>881077
Only idiots like Pepsi believe you need bait for saltwater fishing. I can go to the beach right now with nothing but a surf combo and a 2 oz diamond jig and bring something home within the hour.
>>
File: aint even mad.jpg (85KB, 490x386px) Image search: [Google]
aint even mad.jpg
85KB, 490x386px
So i went cliff fishing for the first time today, didn't catch anything but got probably 12 separate nibbles over the course of 3-4 hours

They kept on tapping and tapping but they'd never fully take it

My guess is that my hooks were too large, i had size 4 baitholders and some market shrimp

So i stopped on my way home and got some size 6 and 8 hooks gonna try again tomorrow

what do you guys think my problem was?
this is in socal btw
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>881072
At the lake. The intercoastal is a block from my house and I just drove like 45min out here.
>>
>>881024
Once you start making them you'll not want to stop. Plus, you can sell the extras to make up for material purchases. I do that all the time.

I mean you have time to post on 4chan, right?
>>
>>880874
It's a 3 hour drive for me to get to trout in this state

Think I'll stick with bass fishing haha
>>
File: TANDEM SPOT.jpg (86KB, 803x960px) Image search: [Google]
TANDEM SPOT.jpg
86KB, 803x960px
you guys ever rig your flies tandem. or dropper style?
>>
File: Hungry_Bass_3_29_2002.jpg (187KB, 1194x660px) Image search: [Google]
Hungry_Bass_3_29_2002.jpg
187KB, 1194x660px
>>881110
>not fly fishing for bass.
>>
File: tandem spot2.jpg (107KB, 960x690px) Image search: [Google]
tandem spot2.jpg
107KB, 960x690px
>>
File: bama-riggin.jpg (19KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
bama-riggin.jpg
19KB, 640x480px
>>881113
I need to order some stainless steel wire to make my own rigs. I've done a few chains of stuff before. It is quite effective.
>>
>>881083
Yeah its top kek, with hooks an egg weight and some gulp sand worms you can get so many different things around here
>>
>>881120
>dat rig

is that live bait? he has enough to eat right there
>>
>>881134
>is that live bait?

na, just a bunch of swim baits
>>
File: Camel_Spider-tying.jpg (494KB, 1494x922px) Image search: [Google]
Camel_Spider-tying.jpg
494KB, 1494x922px
>>881120
>line snaps
>$70 in baits and rigs lost in one go

And here every time I get a rooster tail snagged I'm thinking "welp, i'm going in after all..."
>>
File: image.jpg (50KB, 640x814px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50KB, 640x814px
Just got this guy on a Mepps
>>
>>881134
Alabama rig

Why be one baitfish when you can be the whole school
>>
>>881134
They make smaller ones too. Booyah makes ones for bass and you just rig a bunch or jigheads and soft plastics to it. You could run 10 Rapalas if you want to show off. Only problem is even a smaller one for bass is going to weigh 2oz+ so you should be running a heavy setup.

I think a lot of times they only have a hook on the middle bait, so snags wouldn't be so bad. But it def seems like a better trolling bait than casting.
>>
>>881141
I'm sitting in my car eating Combos debating whether to go out there and cast some spinners now that it's getting dark. There are tons of bass in this lake but the clear water makes it such a pain in the ass. Had peacocks, largemouth, and gar chasing baits for the past couple hours and even nipping at them a few times but not enough to get a good hook set.
>>
>>881146
Do it

I came out about an hour before sunset and got nothing on a lizard and was about to head in then I decided to throw a Mepps for a bit and got that guy shortly after I tied it on
>>
>>881039
It was cloudy, still raining a bit but nothing like the night before, and windy at noon. I forgot to fish the dam but that was before losing my only mepps. Are cheap spinner baits just as good? Mepps go for 10$ I think.
>>
File: 20160904_070525.jpg (1MB, 2048x1350px) Image search: [Google]
20160904_070525.jpg
1MB, 2048x1350px
>>881110
>implying you can't flyfish for bass
Buy a 7 weight overhead rod with a medium fast action about 9 feet long
You'll be set
Thatvwill be a little much for trout and a little light for salmon but will work for both.
>>881113
A lot
But seldom get two fish
>>881138
What is that imitating? Its cool
>>881146
Do it
>>
>>881154
I don't know of anywhere a mepps costs $10. The most I've seen is $7, and the average is about $5. I've even got them in packs and the price per individual works out to $3.
>>
>>881157
Looks like it was made more to show off the skill of the tyer and for display. The angle of the hook and the material on it would make it very hard to keep a fish on there.
>>
>>881158
You're right, was just looking at dick's catalog. Probably get a few off Amazon since I got a gift card on hold.

Can anyone recommend good soft plastics that would go well on a weedless rig well? Targeting bass pretty much. Only have these bloodworm and golden shiner baits
>>
File: IMG_0532.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0532.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>881154
$10 is overpriced for a Mepps. They are normally $5-$6.

Some of the cheaper ones are ok but like I mentioned the other day Mepps have some magic added to them. Rooster tails are normally ~$3 and they work well if you want to run those but they have the willow blades which don't make quite as much noise. That's not necessarily a bad thing but the extra noise and vibration can help draw attention in dark or murky water. Dick's and Bass Pro both have sales on Rooster Tails sometimes for like $2ea

Sometimes Walmart will have the South Bend inlines for cheap and those aren't terrible. If you want something disposable for testing new spots that may have snags, keep an eye out for those.

The main problem I have with cheaper inlines is the blade not spinning well, especially at lower speeds. You will notice the difference especially after a pause or twitch on the retrieve it takes a while for the blade to start spinning again.
>>
>>881094
>drove 45 minutes to go to a lake when the intercostal is close by

Jesus fuck man. Can you explain why you hate saltwater fishing so much? This seems rather extreme.
>>
File: IMG_0320.jpg (5MB, 7416x2022px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0320.jpg
5MB, 7416x2022px
>>881160
There are so many different choices. I like Zoom because they aren't too expensive and have a ton of colors and styles. The Strike King Perfect Plastics are great, especially their swimbaits, but cost like twice as much as Zooms.

For Texas Rigs, some Zoom lizards, finesse worms, and baby brush hogs will all work. And a couple different colors are nice for different situations.

If I could reccommend 3 Zoom baits to Texas rig they would be 5" lizards (chartruese pepper), baby brush hogs (junebug), and finesse worms (watermelon).
>>
>>881164
Because I grew up in the Midwest and know what I'm doing. I enjoy casting lures for bass and I can't stand fishing with a ton of people nearby. If I could go to the pier and be the only person there, I would be there every day.
>>
>>881159
Probably but I bet it could be tied functionally by having a regular j hook soldered to the base hook
>>
File: STOP.jpg (58KB, 234x233px) Image search: [Google]
STOP.jpg
58KB, 234x233px
>>881171
>you will never go to a pier that isn't full of illegal vietnamese immigrants

I don't blame you for avoiding the piers. What is it about fishing piers that draws these people out like moths to a flame?
>>
>>881036
He's going tomorrow...
>>
>>881177
>le dead me-me

>>881171
The mullet run is going on right now in florida. These baitfish bring some of the most powerful game fish near the shore and you're pretty much guaranteed to get something if you throw anything into the water. Trust me you'll have tons of fun if you find a secluded beach spot and start chucking spoons from the shore.
>>
File: IMG_2395.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2395.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>881176
We don't have the Vietcong like you guys on the west coast but plenty of minorities nonetheless. I think the Hispanis have better fishing etiquette tho from the stories here but nigs gonna nig whetever you are.
>>
>>881182
That looks like a really shitty spot full of really shitty people, avoid any place full of illegals.

>wake up early in the morning
>go to a secluded beach with a decent rod and a spoon
>enjoy catching something every single cast
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA5mn423F9g

Last year's mullet run was better but I still caught a nice 10 pound jack this year. Hit the beach pepsikek
>>
>>881171
I hear you. I went pier fishing on a friday night a few weeks ago. I'll probably never do that again. Mooncrickets everywhere that were hollering every other second and rednecks that were blaring music on a bluetooth speaker.
>>
There's a sporting goods store near me that is closing. They have a decent selection of Rapala lures for around 7 bucks a piece. Would any of you guys even consider that a discount?
>>
File: feelsgoodman12.jpg (70KB, 800x850px) Image search: [Google]
feelsgoodman12.jpg
70KB, 800x850px
>tfw my local pier isn't shitty and diverse
>tfw it's super active and every time I go I enjoy myself
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--B-hkI3SpI
>even 1rod1cuckfishing says the mullet run is the most insane fishing he's ever experienced
Now that your idol loves it you have to go pepsi.
>>
>>881190
Efingers by any chance? Century old store going down here>>881190
>>
>>881190
That's normal price
>>881202
Fookin namefag faking my trip

I don't watch 1rod1reel
>>
>>881210
>Normal price
If it's efingers like I guessed theyre going out of business cause their base prices are over priced. And their sale is only 33&
%
>>
>>881209
No, it's an MC sports. I didn't think it was much of a deal. I just need to not lose lures.
>>
>>881210
>>881202

Quick witch one of you wants to become a dog.
>>
>>881157
>What is that imitating? Its cool

Camel spider.
>>
>>880668
The one in the middle is.
>>
File: P1012538.jpg (2MB, 2400x1283px) Image search: [Google]
P1012538.jpg
2MB, 2400x1283px
>>
>>881168
Got any tips on how to fish the three different ones, and why those choices?

I figured senkos and a bait fish lure would be better too
>>
>>881218
Yo
>>881223
Cool swimbaits
>>
>>881090
Saltwater? Could be location issue and a problem with hook size.

Squid stays on the hook better.
>>
File: IMG_1948.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1948.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>881190
Depends what it is. X-Raps and some Originals go for $10-$11 for bass sizes and even more for larger salt stuff but Husky Jerks and the Shad Raps or Scatter Raps are normally $6-$8 for freshwater sizes.

If you like Rapalas, keep an eye out for sales at Dick's. The past month or so they have had a handful of Rapalas on clearance because they are making room for new colors and sizes for the holidays.

I know within the past 6mos or so they had a couple real nice deals like the Shad Raps (whatever it is in the orange box) were $4ea if you buy at least 3 and then they had the Shadow Raps (newer ones in the black box) on sale 2 for $10 or something and those normally run $10+.
>>
File: 1465972579057.jpg (356KB, 1163x1385px) Image search: [Google]
1465972579057.jpg
356KB, 1163x1385px
>>880666
Is mystery take box pro worth it? Thinking of asking for it for chrimbus time because my brothers and wife and fa ml ily don't know what to get lure wise and it seems like it would be fun to open monthly if they all went in on it instead of randomly buying me hooks and weight styles and lures I don't use.
>>
>>881090
sometimes it's not your hook size but the way you hook your bait. Maybe you need the bait cut to be smaller and expose the hook more for better hook up
>>
File: 1475169311811.png (472KB, 952x1073px) Image search: [Google]
1475169311811.png
472KB, 952x1073px
>>881234
>not buying yo zuri

>shiggily diggily guys
>>
File: 1474138892047.gif (1021KB, 600x726px) Image search: [Google]
1474138892047.gif
1021KB, 600x726px
>>881237
This is true. Also sharpen your hooks with a diamond file.
>>
>>881232
yeah its in the salt i was meaning to buy some squid or mussels but it skipped my damn mind when i was at the store so all i got is shrimp and i was thinking about bringing some peas to try for some opaleye

>>881237

i was trying a variety of ways to hook it but its pretty soft shit
>>
>>881242
Yeah. Live shrimp work way better. Stay on the hook. Once it's frozen it works better in calm water casting very short distances or dropping easily next to dock pilings for snapper and other critters.

Mollusks like squid and clam stay on better.

You can scrape them off piers for free. Or hit a rocky shoreline and flip rocks and collect crabs. Just check the legal take limits.
>>
File: hi-lo_3_way_swivel_5.jpg (16KB, 426x154px) Image search: [Google]
hi-lo_3_way_swivel_5.jpg
16KB, 426x154px
>>881242
>squid or mussels
100,000Xsquid
everything in salt eats squid and it is by far the most resilient as far as staying on hook.

If hooks are too big for whatever is down there they will steal your bait though.
Try a hi-lo rig with 2 different hook sizes. Stock photo, I don't use the 3-way swivels. I use the pre-made wire ones.
>>
File: 1040hd.jpg (56KB, 700x297px) Image search: [Google]
1040hd.jpg
56KB, 700x297px
>>881249
>pre-made wire ones
more like these
>>
File: IMG_0549.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0549.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>881224
Swimbaits are good. You can Texas rig those with a regular EWG worm hook or get the swimbait specific weighted hooks. If you are going to swim them (retrieve them not on the bottom) then I reccommend the paddle tails. I like these KVD ones a lot but they are pricey so you can go with Zoom Super Flukes (split tail is good for drop shots or fishing them on the bottom) or Swimmin Super Flukes (paddle tail for swimming) and they also have the Jr's which are a little smaller.

You can rig all the baits different ways. Texas rigging with a bullet weight and weedless offset worm hook is normally fished on the bottom and you kinda twitch it and hop it along. Really good in the summer. Drop shots rigs you hook through the nose or wacky rig for worms, there are pics for that on the imgur. Drop shot rigs will keep it off the bottom a bit. You could fish the lizards weightless and run them on or near the top. Or you could just swim them all. Texas rigging is the main one I do since the largemouth love to snatch up baits that are wiggling on the bottom so you let the bait sit for a couple seconds between twitches and when you feel a bite, give the fish a second or two to get the whole bait in its mouth, and then set the hook.

And for Senkos, you could pretty much interchange those and the Finesse Worms. The Finesse Worms are a little thinner though and seem to have more movement but Senkos are popular for wacky rigs.

Pic related is pretty much what I described earlier except I didn't feel like digging for the Junebug Baby Brush Hogs so just grabbed Sprayed Grass. You normally want a natural color (watermelon red), a bright color (chartruese pepper), and a dark black-blue-purple (junebug or sprayed grass) because different colors work well in different conditions. Natural for clear water, dark for murky or muddy water, and then bright for whenever those aren't working.
>>
>>881250
I tie mine in #50-#30 mono with dropper loops
>>
File: IMG_1581.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1581.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>881238
I have a handful but I think Rapala X-Raps are my favorite hard bait.

>>881236
It's bretty kewl. I had it for a few months, had the $10 off coupon so it ended up being $33 for 3mos. Definitely worth the $11/mo because even if you only use 2 out of the 4 or 5 things in a box it is already worth the money.
>>
File: IMG_0517.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0517.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>881236
Oh, and I just realized you asked about the Pro. I did the Pro box for 2 out of the 3 months and wasn't disappointed. Compared to the regular box, you end up getting a second large bait like a $10+ crankbait, and then instead of a 2pk of hooks and a couple 4pks of soft baits, they send you a full 6pk of hooks and 10pk of soft baits. The extra crankbait or whatever itself normally covers the extra $10.

I believe pic related was a "Pro". You can def tell what your extra $10 gets you.
>>
File: IMG_0551.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0551.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>881224
And as long as I got these out, here's another pic.
>Strike King KVD Swim'n Shad
>Gambler 6" Flap'n Shad
>Zoom Super Fluke (and swimmin' SF)
>Zoom Super Fluke Jr (and swimmin')

If the bigger bass are out, those Gamblers are nice. Otherwise I really like the KVD ones because the size is perfect for smaller to large bass and the design swims well and keeps the hook inside forever without getting torn up. The Zoom ones aren't bad though. If you go with any of those, I have done really well with the "Baby Bass" color and almost every compaby makes swiminz in that color.
>>
File: IMG_0552.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0552.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>881224
Just thought of one more thing that you may be interested in.

If you don't want to deal with weighted swimbait hooks or Texas rigging the flukes but don't want to risk losing $8 Rapalas or $11 Yo-Zuris all the time, pic related is a good alternative. Storm and Tsunami are the companies that make these (except the firetiger one with the orange belly is PowerBait I think). A 6pk of Tsunamis runs about $5 so they are <$1ea. The ones with the single hooks coming out of the top are really hard to get snagged on stuff too which is nice. The weights are inside and the 3" ones are pretty heavy so you can cast them really far with 8lb mono or 20lb braid. The ones with the trebles underneath will hook fish a little better but you will also catch a lot of weeds.
>>
File: 26061779.jpg (153KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
26061779.jpg
153KB, 768x1024px
>>881253
>>881256
>>881259
>>881262
Are you open on Sundays? I'd like to stop by your shop and pick up some #3 Mepps.
>>
fly-guys..
Does it make a huge difference if you start learning to cast in a field vs casting in water?
>>
>>881262
Thanks Pepsi, those tsunamis look like a good idea although I don't mind the hassle of Texas rigging, I seem to have it down.

One thing is that id figure you should Match the Hatch and gets lures that resemble bluegill at least, since that's a fish I see around the most. Pumpkin seed is the right color Ive heard of?

Another problem I have is why don't crawdad lures not resemble crawdads' pattern and color? When I see one swimming in a creek my eyes basically snap onto that distinctive belly that they have. You know that crustacean look, like a spider. This is more of a discussion point than a question now.
>>
File: 1470086573316.jpg (36KB, 441x334px) Image search: [Google]
1470086573316.jpg
36KB, 441x334px
>>881253
Damn. I may have to get the stupid box then and look for a coupon code.

>>881256
That's legit they drop a yo zuri on top of all that other stuff. Hopefully I can con the wife and family to go in on it lol.

>>881259
Flukes are legit as fuck with a MOJO rig.

>>881262
Storm is owned by Rapala and I have definitely used them before and agree that they work well in the right conditions.

>>881278
Try a MOJO rig
>>
File: IMG_0553.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0553.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>881270
What a qt.

Pic related is what I got in stock for Mepps #2 and #3. If you are lookin for some 1/4oz Rooster Tails or Blue Foxes, I may be able to direct you towards some of those as well.

>>881278
Yeah I figured you may like those Storms and Tsunamis. They are cheap and ready to go. They don't last forever and will eventually get torn up, but definitely longer than hooking your own. You can probably catch 10 or 15 fish on one before it starts getting beat up and you have to put a new one on.

And the bluegill thing, Storm actually makes those in a couple bluegill patterns and I waited to find the ones that best matched what we have around here. There are larger crappie ones too. But I wouldn't worry, I use the shad ones a lot even though we don't really have them in the lakes here and they still work because it mimics a bait fish. I choose them moreso on the water conditions and use natural lookin ones in real clear water and then some chartruese or orange colored ones if I want it to stand out.
>>
>>881283
Please tell me you have a (hookless) mepps on your key chain
>>
>>881275
I'd reccomend learning in the field with a piece of frayed yarn on the end of a tippit
>>
File: IMG_0554.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0554.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>881278
And on the crawdad thing, it isn't always about perfectly replicating the bait. Sometimes you just want movement out of the bait and you may want a color that stands out. Those Brush Hogs on a Texas rig are great lures because the antennae will float up and dangle a bit while the bait is on the bottom and bass go crazy for it. And then if you have somewhat murky water or are running along green and brown grass or muck on the bottom, the blacks and purples like Junebug really stand out and will attract predators better than a brown color that blends in.

Those Culprit Incredi-Crawd are some of my favorites because of how long and dangley they are. There is a slim version I have in this blue and black sparkle color and I have caught a ton of bass on those.
>>
>>881287
>>881275
Oh and set a pizza box out at 30-35 feet and try to land your frayed yarn on it
As you get better put it closer and farther, wind in your face, wind at your back, coming from the left and the right
Maybe set two boxes out 10-20 feet appart and practice casting from one to the other with minimal false casts
>>
File: IMG_0555.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0555.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>881278
Between the natural brown color and the dark blue/purple color, the unnatural color gets more bites pretty much every time.
>tfw I forgot I had that unopened package on the left
I can't remember when I even bought that.
>>
File: IMG_9934.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9934.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>881285
Kek, nah but I should do it.

I used to have a small Rapala on there with no hooks but all the paint got scratched off and you couldn't even tell what it was within 6 months.

Idk if you can even see it in this pic
>>
>>881294
>drumkey

If I didn't know any better I would swear you were 12 years old
>>
File: IMG_0486.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0486.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>881302
People keep telling me it's a water spigot key
>>
Any of you figure if this would actually work? A light weight version of dropshotin?
>>
File: 20161023_000922_HDR.jpg (4MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
20161023_000922_HDR.jpg
4MB, 4160x3120px
>>881306
>>
File: IMG_1434.jpg (42KB, 500x365px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1434.jpg
42KB, 500x365px
>>881307
Looks like a typical 3-way rig. Drop shots normally have the hook tied in line with the main line and the weight while 3-ways will often use one of those 3-way swivels and then the wire will be useful so shit doesn't tangle.
>>
>>881309
Where are you gonna fish tomorrow?

Hopefully I'm gonna make it out to a new lake about 30 mins away
>>
>>881311
Fuck if I know. I was thinkin about going out early but it is 12:30am and I'm still up so I doubt that will happen. I went to the lake with clear water and tons of Peacocks today and got frustrated by then chasing and nibbling without actually taking the bait. Then stopped by a closer lake when it was dark and didn't get shit for bites. The largemouth must have been chillin though because there were tons of panfish and baitfish hitting bugs on the surface which means the bass weren't out there hunting.

Somtimes the baitfish will be going for the bugs at dusk and the bass or Mayans will be out and you can see the baitfish running around towards the surface. When that happens, I can normally throw an appetizing Texas rig out that way and distract the bass from the baitfish. But no bass even around tonight, the baitfish were in farily deep water going for bugs so they must have felt confident.
>>
File: 213.jpg (23KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
213.jpg
23KB, 300x400px
>>881283
Do you ever use Silverfox inlines? I have some like in this image I bought used in an auction lot. I've never seen that brand before, but they work just as good as the rooster tails.
>>
File: IMG_0557.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0557.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>881316
Funny that you mention it, I just remembered about those earlier when anon was mad that he lost an expensive Mepps. I would've reccommended them but had no clue if they still sold them anywhere.

I think I found them at a Walmart near my house in IL years and years ago and they were cheap, either just under $2 or maybe even $1. They had 1/8oz in black and white and I bought 2 or 3 of each color so I could toss them at new places or risky spots where I had a good chance of losing them. They worked much better than a lot of the cheap ones, almost as good as Rooster Tails.

If you see them for cheap, go for it. If they still want like $2.50 for them, just get Rooster Tails.
>>
File: IMG_0558.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0558.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>881316
>>881319
Thinking about it, I don't think I have had any major issues with any of the cheap inlines. The only ones that are total shit are the Bass Pro XPS and Lazer Eye inlines and those still cost close to $4ea I think so you are much better off getting Rooster Tails.

The main issue I mentioned earlier- a lot of the cheaper ones, especially with the willow blades, take a bit of speed to get the blades spinning. Mepps blades always pick up right away, but sometimes after a little pause with the cheaper ones you gotta get them back up to speed for the blade to get going again.

Idk how Bass Pro fucked up their inlines so much. The blades just sit under the lure instead of spinning and the only way to get it going is to straight rip the thing through the water as fast as you can. I'm glad I only bought one of them.
>>
>>881309
Thanks peeps. Mine was more intended for catching little fresh water dink fish on bread balls. But fuck it. Over complicated.
>>
File: IMG_0559.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0559.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>881324
I mean it's not a bad idea, keep the weight heavy and tighten up the line and you should be able to suspend it off the bottom. Same reason the 3-way river rigs like that pic work. With bread balls and shit, I normally just run the weight a good 18" up the line so the bait at the end has some slack to move around and possibly even float up.

Another popular thing with walleye and river fishermen is pumping up their worms with air. You just take a syringe, poke it into a nightcrawler, an fatten it up with air. Works well with the 3-way rigs because the nightcrawlers will float. Maybe you could try that?

>>881323
>>881316
One more cool old school inline in this pic, blade says "Mitchell" and "Made In France". The last post had Abu Garcia inline spinners.

And even these cheap ass Eagle Claw inlines that come in random little kits work better than the $4 Bass Pro ones.

Also big 1/2oz Rooster Tail just because I think they look funny with that super long weight.
>>
>>881319
I used one yesterday and caught a couple bass and several bluegill. From what I can google, they are not in business? "Silverlake Tackle Co. Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania".

>>881323
>>881331
Yeah, I had the Silverlake one stall like that. Always a quick jerk on the line and a drop will get just about any spinner to spin if it isn't line-fouled. In fact, I've added that to my routine when the lure hits the water decades ago.

The Bass Pro one is probably missing a bead or something.
>>
>>881324
Just buy a sabiki rig and trim the hooks off to the legal limit allowed for you. Problem solved. They even make them in lightweight flurocarbon.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>881332
From what I hear, it's not defective or anything and they are just trash. It's not that the blade doesn't spin at all like when the line gets caught up, but you have to run it really, really fast to even get the thing started spinning and then maintain a ridiculously fast retrieve to have any hope of keeping it going. And even trying to keep with a faster retrieve, the blade doesn't spin 75% of the retrieve. The reviews on the website have a bunch of people saying the exact same thing and reccommending Rooster Tails instead. There are a lot of 5-star reviews too which confuses me and I'm guessing half of those people are retarded and have never touched a Mepps. A few of the bad ones are from "Top Contributors" too.

And that company is probably out of business. I bought those things years ago and the small companies come and go or just stay really local.

With good inlines, even with willow blades, you shouldn't even have to give it a jerk to get them spinning. After a cast or pause, they should pick up again as soon as you start reeling. With cheaper ones you just gotta deal with it sometimes but those Bass Pro ones are unacceptable. The blade doesn't start spinning, it gets stuck under the lure, and the thing shoots to the surface because the blade underneath acts like a wing.
>>
File: IMG_0561.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0561.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>881332
>>881340
I think I may have just figured out why they are so shitty...

One, the blades are really long compared to other 1/4oz inlines. But I don't think that's the main cause of the shittiness. The blade on that Bass Pro inline is really thick and heavy compared to the other companies. With the other inlines, the blade is maybe 1/4 of the weight of the whole lure, most of the weight is in the bead in the center of the spinner.

That Bass Pro inline, it feels like the blade makes up 1/2 or 2/3 the weight of the entire lure because of how thick and large it is. So instead of the blade spinning around the rest of the lure like it should, the blade wants to stay in place and the rest of the lure is so light in comparison that it just doesn't work. It would be like a helicopter where the rotors weigh twice as much as the body of the helicopter. If that happened, the rotor would stay in one place while the actual helicopter spins in circles.
>>
>>881333
Not even that, buy a sabiki rig and cut it half way between every other hook, then tie a loop in one and for a weight And a swivel to tie to your line
Then you wind up with 6 rigs
>>
>>881368
Yeah that makes more sense honestly.
>>
>>880823
This isn't because of the city, it's because the Southwest has no fishing culture, the only parts of our country that have a really strong fishing culture are the east coast, great Lakes region and Alaska, even the west coast and Hawaii are really just small communities of fishermen and it would be hard to find fishing buddies, but definitely easier than the Southwest.
>>
>>880889
Just hang out with the Mexicans, sounds exactly like pier people here in Florida, just clean up after them in their wake and have fun. Scumbags are way more fun to hang out with.
>>
>>881449
>Scumbags are way more fun to hang out with.
+1
>>
>>881340
If the retrieve is that fast them most likely they are for hard striking lunker bass. The fast retrieve usually scares away smaller fish, but triggers the older larger fish into instinctual striking.

Alternatively, it may be used well as a jig, if the action is good enough.

>>881343
Interesting theory. Try modifying it. First put a split shot sinker under the blade where ever there is wire enough to put one. You can also tie on more tail that has stiffer hackle to produce more drag on the body. Also try a plastic grub with a curly tail on one of the hooks. It has a split ring under that hackle where the hook attaches. That means you can swap off all sorts of things that will add weight and/or change the profile.

If that doesn't work, try bending the blade slightly with padded pliers. Make it slightly more convex laterally (remember that paint may chip when doing this too much).

If it still doesn't work, pick up a pack of willow blades & new wire then replace the old blade.
>>
>>880889

Yes, if you can afford a peddle driven fishing kayak do it. Paddling heavy/stable fishing kayaks like Lure is a bitch and the speed is abysmal.
>>
>>881141

No wonder he ate that shitty meme lure, thing looks like it's almost starved to death.
>>
File: 1471387591202.jpg (72KB, 894x894px) Image search: [Google]
1471387591202.jpg
72KB, 894x894px
>>881447
Yeah I think you're spot on with that man.
>>
>>881470
That's what I've heard. I'm trying to decide between one that's easy to stand in or one I just sit I. And carefully stand in during calm water
>>
File: IMG_5827.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5827.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>881469
The blade on that one is already more concave than Rooster Tails. It is just a straight up shitty design. It isn't even made for a fast retrieve because half the time you get it going fast to try and get the blades spinning, it surfaces before it works correctly.

>>881471
>living in denial
>>
>>880668
No, but she's clearly had children before.

The one on the right isn't bad. Terrible lighting making her look a little frumpy, but she's got those big ole jiggly boobs.
>>
File: IMG_0153.jpg (116KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0153.jpg
116KB, 900x900px
>>880913
>first day all week it hasn't rained
>beautiful blue sky's with sun shinning
>30 mph winds and 40 degrees

FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKK
>>
>>881480
Who's the fat retard in the middle that can't say no to high fructose corn syrup?
>>
>>881484
I'm not even sure I remember what 49 degrees feels like.
>>
>>881485
Skid
>>
>>881488
Kek. Really?

Needs to skid odd off some pounds then Jesus christ.

Gotta love a guy too fat to walk to the end of the dock.
>>
>>881496
gotta love a guy too autistic to see an obvious joke
>>
File: IMG_1072.jpg (152KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1072.jpg
152KB, 640x1136px
>>881496
He does work at McD's and wear a fursuit most of the time. I hear you can get away with a few extra pounds without it showing when you have a suit on.
>>
File: jen.jpg (151KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
jen.jpg
151KB, 720x960px
>>881159
i'm on the same forum as this guy. it was tied for show iirc. he ties some incredibly realistic flies. mostly case flies for display.

>>881162
undressed mepps aglia were on sale $1.99 at walmart last time i was there. but not the flying c's which i needed for salmon... ordered my stuff last night going to make my own, itll be cheaper in the end.

>>881143
most A rigs are 5 arm. a hvy swimbait rod will throw them. in caliifornia you can only have 3 rigged with hooks so the other 2 are dummies or you can add more flash with willow blades. they work well casting to schoolies.

>>881120
what do you do with the wire to rig tandem flies? I just use floro and a swivel..

>>881176
>non licensed fishing

tends to bring out subsistence fishermen.
you have a problem with them dont fish piers.
I enjoy pier fishing. I stake out my spot position my pier/beer cart, set the rods out to make a little more room for myself, bait up, toss a little chum, pop a coldy and wait for the fish show up..Its a little more social than loner fishing, some people might look over if you 420 blaze it but they rarely say anything.
one other thing is the sense of camaraderie, you hook something big and everyone is happy for you, people usually help with the landing and even provide their own net to help you out. shit some will even take your picture.
I dont see whats not to enjoy? theres been plenty of times ive been alone on a pier.
pier fishing is a fun distraction from lonely guy fishing.

>>881184
>>wake up early in the morning
>>go to a secluded beach with a decent rod and a spoon
>>enjoy catching something every single cast

you wish thats what every fishing trip is like.

>>881190
nope. check online bro.

>>881224
flukes

>>881275
field first. you can learn to cast all you want in privacy of your own backyard..a strip of bright colored yarn or cloth will act as a fly dont forget watch the loop and the end of your line to know when to cast.
>>
File: IMG_0712.jpg (1MB, 2245x1627px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0712.jpg
1MB, 2245x1627px
>>881470
>Lure is a bitch
that's your opinion....
>>
>>881484
same here but mid 50's
>>
File: 78.jpg (79KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
78.jpg
79KB, 720x960px
>>881447
try facebook. theres tons of fishing groups for all the regions you just named. you can easily find a partner of two to fish local areas.

also the west coast has a huge fishing community theres no problems finding partners to fish with be it sw, fw, ducts, rivers, delta.. ect...

>>881488
as I imagined...
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>881120
Jesus that must be a heavy as fuck rod

>>881447
I swear everybody around me always has a pole in their truck, but maybe that's because I don't live in the city and I live right next to a lake...
>>
File: image.jpg (749KB, 2155x1257px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
749KB, 2155x1257px
>illegal vietnamese immigrants that don't know English throwing lures within inches of hooking someone every time they cast
>nobody says anything
>someone steps within several FEET away from me right before I cast
>get called out by some guy

God I wish piers weren't so fucking crowded. Even if you look before you cast and try to be safe someone will run in the way at the last second. On the plus side I got a pompano
>>
>>881555
>this is why Pepsi fishes freshwater
Checked. And noice feesh.
>>
>>881558
I'm going to the beach or a secluded spillway to catch fish later. You can still go saltwater fishing and avoid people.
>>
File: china1377133566544.png (54KB, 626x560px) Image search: [Google]
china1377133566544.png
54KB, 626x560px
How do we fix the asian fisherman problem? They are a plague to the environment and anyone who wants to have an enjoyable fishing trip.
>>
File: IMG_0571.jpg (481KB, 1038x539px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0571.jpg
481KB, 1038x539px
>>881567
Same way we fix the fur(fag) problem.

I can't wait til Trump is Prez
>>
File: image.jpg (110KB, 600x739px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
110KB, 600x739px
>>881567
>>
>>881510
>you wish thats what every fishing trip is like.
It is during the mullet run in florida. I'm not even exaggerating here.
>>
Question for anyone who ties flies here: what's hackle feather specifically? Can I shoot crows and use their feathers for flies? I really like using things from animals I've hunted for stuff like that.
>>
big bass chasing the Mepps on the first cast

must be the change of seasons
>>
File: IMG_0573.png (727KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0573.png
727KB, 640x1136px
>>881711
Nice. The past two weeks we have had slightly cooler weather and then Friday night we had a cold front c ome through and it is like perfect. The fish weren't biting shit yesterday but maybe the pressure was off. I'm just hoping the weather will stay fairly cool and after a couple weeks the water will start cooling off and bass will be hitting a lot more.
>>
>>881567
This isn't me
Its not autistic enough
>>881583
>>881572
See above
>>
>>881730
Fuck off stop trying to impersonate Skid
>>
File: IMG_20161022_170442.jpg (497KB, 768x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161022_170442.jpg
497KB, 768x1280px
>>881735
No I really am skid
I can prove it
>pic related
See?
>>
>>881744
w2c that sunfish pillow?
>>
>>881524

The Lure is objectively slow, stop shilling.
>>
>>881755
They have those things at Bass Pro sometimes

>>881744
Where did you stick the fleshlight on that one? Mouth or asshole?
>>
>>881776
Oh I dont own it (yet) and I don't put my dick in things
>>881755
That was in a shop near me called Kames Outdoor Supply
>>
File: IMG_20161022_170518.jpg (469KB, 768x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161022_170518.jpg
469KB, 768x1280px
>>881786
>>881755
>>881776
There were more too
>shork, ketfish, biss
>>
>>881786
So you attached the dragon dildo to the pillow and ride the sunfish?
>>
>>881789
Yeah I remember seein a bunch of freshwater ones when Bass Pro had a big basket of them right by the entrance. Bass, bluegill, trout, etc
>>
>>881789
No I'm the real skid
>>
File: IMG_1477.jpg (16KB, 236x314px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1477.jpg
16KB, 236x314px
>>881794
Yeah that is definitely the right trip

Ever since Skid went on hiatus for that month he came back with a different trip anyway so I doubt that is even him. You must be the real Skid.
>>
File: 20161023_192526.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161023_192526.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Only keeper I caught all day and it's the biggest speckled trout I've ever seen. Should I mount it? I'm strongly considering it.
>>
>>881808
Stuff it and put a fleshlight in it.
>>
>>881809
Do you think it's worth mounting?
>>
>>881808
How long is it?
And don't mount it but take about a dozen good photos of it and take accurate measurements
Bring that to the taxidermist and he'll make it
>>
>>881811
Ignore him
>>
>>881808
How big is that? it only looks like 20-25 inches or so which is large but nothing to really go crazy about.
Nice ass trout but you don't actually mount it, you take pics/measurements and a taxidermist will make an exact copy of it for you.
>>
>>881811
As in have someone make a fiberglass mold of him? Sure why not.
>>
File: 20161023_182635.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161023_182635.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Yeah I was under the impression that they don't actually mount saltwater fish, they just make a replica. I should have specified that that was what I was considering. I'll go measure it in just a minute and post the length.
>>
>>881811
Yes it is
>>
>>881819
21 inches
>>
>>881853
Hella

Measure the largest girth and take about a dozen pictures from different angles, then take those pics and measurements to the taxidermist
>>
>>881773
It's almost 90#'s and not meant to be a stealth concorde like vessel. I have the 13.5 and it tracks and paddles fine. I didn't buy the 10.5 or 11.5 because I believe you're right, they'd be like paddling a bath tub.
>shilling
I could care less if you bought one. Just don't spread incorrect information unless you own one and are reviewing it. The 13.5 is orth every penny and delivers exactly what it promises. Only fault I have with it is the cutting board/bait compartment is too far from the seat to be practicle while paddling/on water.
>>
>>881859

I do own one you retard, every day I regret not saving my money for something peddle driven which is significantly faster.
>>
>>881819
You can so either, use the actual skin or a complete replica. I spent a day fishing with a guy that uses the actual skin. Was interesting.
>>
>>881860
length?
>retard
really, name calling... on an anon board. You got me good.
>>
>>881863

11.5 and now you will insist how the 13.5 doesn't have that issue even though it is the same exact yak but bigger and heavier. Even if the 13.5 gets a little more speed than the 11.5 a peddle driven will still be significantly easier to cover distances with and in less time. Not to mention being able to fish while moving.
>>
>>881863
>>881859
>>881860
What about this
>buy trolling motor on craigslist for less than 100 dollars
>cruise hella fast

Alternatively
>tiny outboard
>1hp or so
>rip through the water at blistering speed
>>
>>881866

Suddenly your kayak becomes a boat which needs to be registered. Suddenly it becomes even heavier. Now you have to deal with batteries/gas. You're no longer silent on the water and you aren't getting any exercise either.
>>
>>881867
Trolling motors don't necessarily make it to where you have to register. At least here.
>>
>>881869

Fine good for you. They do here though.
>>
>>881871
I have to register anything that goes in the water that's any more than a pool toy
>>
>>881871
>makes blanket statement
>gets mad when someone says that's not necessarily true
>>
>>881875

It's true for me and that's why I don't use a trolling motor. You didn't refute a single point I made so I can't say I'm upset.

>>881874

That sucks.
>>
>>881875
Don't forget
>muh kayak too slow!
>make it faster? What are you stupid?
>>
>>881878

Hmm either ghetto rig my kayak to be faster or get a different kayak that is designed to be faster and easier to fish with. I think I'd rater go with a different kayak. Not surprised that you of all people want the ghetto rig though.
>>
>>881880
a trolling motor isn't really ghetto rigging it... they make compact motors and batteries specifically for kayaks.

I own one and it's wonderful, way faster than paddling and the battery lasts 3/4ths of a whole day fishing. Sorry about your autism.
>>
>>881865
>11.5
I paddled that one before I paddled the 13.5 and I hear ya. It's a bathtub, too wide for its length. It's heavy, mine is heavy as fuck BUT it's still exactly as advertised. I can stand on mine and use it like a SUP if I want. Rails are the shit for accessories. I use mine in ponds and ocean and once it's moving it definitely holds speed well.
A pedal-paddle would have run you about $1400 more than I'm guessing you paid.

Bummer you don't like yours. I love mine, but I took them out and tested prior to buying. Sure I'd love if it were 40#'s lighter when I come back in and the tides gone out. Sucks (even with the wheel) to drag 90# across 150ft of beach.

Find a place to try before you buy if you sell your Lure and go paddle. I know a few people that hate theirs. well maybe not hate but love it on open water but hate the shallows.

Personally I love paddling and my shoulders.
>>
>>881928
I mean its literally 3 feet wide
Though I read that a lot if that weight (probably 20 lbs) is in the seat
Maybe you could get a seat with less metal in it and shave some weight?
But regardless of who designed it, 36 inches wide is 36 inches wide and the best 36 inch kayak will still be slower than a 25 inch kayak
You basically have to pick: do you want slow and stable, or fast and tippy?
The medium ones are okay but you're still kinda slow and you're still kinda tippy
You just have to decide "how much is standing up worth"
also wouldnt tgat wheel jist clog with sand and youre no longer rolling it, just dragging it?
>>
>>881964
I love mine, it's the other guy that wishes he go a pedal.
Set is heavy but it's the best one out there IMHO.
All of your points are valid.
>>
>>881964
My wheel has never clogged but on sand it is pretty much dragging. Moving it on solid ground or hard pack is like slicing butter with a warm knife.
>>
File: f76g8h9ji0.jpg (103KB, 1080x810px) Image search: [Google]
f76g8h9ji0.jpg
103KB, 1080x810px
I've been using my 6 weight St. Croix Rio Santo paired with an Okuma 5/6 reel for a few summers now for bass but I want to get something setup for great lakes steelead/salmon.

I know I need at least an 8 weight for a standard 9 foot rod & I can get away with a 7 weight if I get a switch/spey rod.

I've been looking at switch rods in the 11' rod as they seem to be the ultimate for what I'm doing but the price point is pretty steep.

Anyone have any experience with Bass Pro's white river fly shops stuff? They've got a switch rod outfit at a pretty reasonable price. $300 for rod and reel as opposed to paying $300-400 for just a Loomis or St. Croix rod than the reel on top. Kinda sounds too good to be true though

http://www.basspro.com/White-River-Fly-Shop-Black-Watch-Switch-Rod/Kingfisher-Reel-Fly-Outfit/product/1412240737052/
>>
>>881982
I've got no experience with it, but its probably going to work okayly
I would say that you should know that a switch rod does nothing well
It sorta spey casts. It sorta overhead casts but both could be better
Though it seems you've done your homework
I'm sureitll be fine
>>
>>881968
Personally I'm thinking a sun dolphin either Bali 12 or journey 12
I'm pretty sure they're they're the same aside from colour and one rod holder but eh
It seems like a good balance between stability speed and maneuverability, and the 395 pound capacity is nice because I'm fat as shit and gives me a little over 100 pounds of gear which I'm contt with (I doubt I could break 50 if I tried)
>>
>trout season is closed
>I didn't even use my fly rod once this year

Fuck me, at least I caught some nice bass this year. I need to move farther south.
>>
>>882024
Reddington anon?
You can fish for other things
Panfish are fun and easy, as are bass
>>
>>882033

Nah, I've been fly fishing since I was a young kid, haven't in quite a few years and wanted to catch a couple trout before season closed. Next year I guess, maybe I'll get a new setup in the mean time. I still have the one I got at a yard sale when I was 14. Not to sound like a snob or anything but I am over panfishing.
>>
>>882036
Where do you live?

Usually a lot of places up north have good fall and winter walleye and perch.
>>
File: 32rfeavsdrf.jpg (247KB, 1402x911px) Image search: [Google]
32rfeavsdrf.jpg
247KB, 1402x911px
>>881997

Yeah maybe I'll just buy a quality 9 foot 8 weight for now and buy a proper Spey rod later on. Thanks for the insight skid.
>>
>>882024
Not gonna lie, I love bein able to fish (comfortably) year-round. Sure there is ice fishing but it isn't the same as working lures for bass.

I wouldn't mind living in like TN or North GA though where you maybe get into the 40s during winter but their summers are probably warmer than we get here.

>>881997
Skd
Why do you type like this?
You could form whole paragraphs like normal people.
And then hit the "Enter" key a couple times when you want to break up the text and start a new paragraph.
But you don't need to hit "Enter" after every sentence.
>>
>>882076
I don't type like that pepsi. Please ignore the fake skid.
>>
I'm going to a thrift shop soon. Same place I got my $15 waders which have been lasting me.

They have fishing rods but I didn't see any reels last time. What rods and for what price should I be looking for?
>>
>>882093
Much better. That troll skid needs to get b&

>>882113
Post what they have when you get there. I mean if you see any of the major brands like St. Croix, G. Loomis, Fenwick, Abu, Shimano, etc then grab them. Idk about fly rods though. Just google it really quick because a St. Croix rod could be $90 new or $500 new.
>>
What do you guys know about fishfinders. Thinking about picking up a garmin striker 4dv. Seems to be the best deal on a finder with gps plotting and down imaging. 200$ budget
>>
Speckled trout guy here. From what I've seen on the Internet, it's cheaper to use the skin and make a mount than have a fiberglass one made. Is there a difference in quality or something? Does fiberglass replica look better? Thanks for yalls help in this matter.
>>
>>882076
Idk
It
Just
Happens

I don't
Even
Think
About
It
I
Just
Do

It
>>
File: 20161023_175337.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161023_175337.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
What the fuck is this fish? Caught in Murrells inlet south carolina, right before the trout
>>
>>882255
looks like a sea robin
>>
>>882136
I have the striker4 but not the DV, wish I had got that one as I'm dumb as mud when it comes to reading mine. I'd recommend.
>>
>>882255
if it made duck like sounds it's a sea robin as other anon stated. I caught one that s around 16" this year. Was loud as fuck.
>>
>>882155
The fiberglass ones hold up better; humidity and water won't hurt them, repairs/replacements will be easier, etc
>>882255
Sea robin
>>
>>882255
Sea robin. The bane of flounder fishermen.
>>
>>882246
Skid's imposter pls go away

>>882279
Why do they hate em so much?
>>
do i have to buy a new jig/spinner/balls everytime my hooks start rusting

how do i keep my hooks from rusting
>>
>>882312
Have you tried to ask them nicely?

Try using your white privilege.

Don't trigger them to become rusty.
>>
>>882313
Cringe, go back to /pol/.
>>882312
Put some of those little slica gel packs in your tackle box. I know some people put one in with every lure in their box to keep them good.
>>
>>882312
Keep them dry after use?
>>882313
That was terrible
>>
>>882312
That sucks they are getting rusty. Are they really old or cheap ones? Are you keeping the tackle box in a really humid place or a shitty box? Are you getting water in the tackle box?

I always put lures away wet. Especially Mepps because the hair skirts stay wet for a couple hrs after casting them. Never had a big problem with stuff rusting.
>>
>>882313

Cringed, hard.
>>
File: 65dc.jpg (73KB, 534x712px) Image search: [Google]
65dc.jpg
73KB, 534x712px
>>882312
keep the lures you use in a separate box, preferably a box with drain holes and ventilation.
rinse your lures off in clean water after you fish.

buy some split rings and replacement hooks and change out the rusty hooks and rings.
>>
>>882325
>buy some split rings
Not really possible with jigs and spinnerbaits like anon mentioned.

He must be putting them away soaked though. Sometimes when I'm fishing in the rain the boxes will get wet and I try to leave them open when I get home for a couple hrs so they dry. But never had rust issues just from putting lures away wet so it has to be really cheap and shitty lures or anon is doing something else stupid.
>>
>>882333
I got rust one one of my silver bladed mepps lure... I thought they where aluminum...
>>
>>882335
Really? Damn. Never had it happen to a Mepps. They are either stainless steel or nickel coated I'm guessing. Not aluminum.
>>
So I'm super new and teaching myself how to fish in Florida. I got hooked on multi species and micro fishing. Freshwater has been pretty easy but with saltwater I'm only catching the same like three or four species, I'm using little bits of squid on either 8 or 10 size hooks with a weight and just dropping it in the rocks. I tried casting out into sea grass beds but never had much action. Anybody know good rigs or tips for fishing seagrass? Or saltwater micro in general?
>>
Say cheese
>>
File: IMG_2272.jpg (393KB, 1801x1825px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2272.jpg
393KB, 1801x1825px
>>882341
>>
>>882313
I cringed

Back to /pol/ you alt-right cretin
>>
>>882336
Has to be nickle coated. But its kay its on the comet minnow one that ive yet to catch a damn fish on ever....
>>
>>882350
I used to run those a little bit but never did any better or worse with them it seems. Natural brown with a gold or silver blade always a best.

I have a Comet #5 in my tackle back that has to be from the 70s or maybe early 80s.
>>
File: 1451173944327.jpg (7KB, 231x218px) Image search: [Google]
1451173944327.jpg
7KB, 231x218px
tried the new fly rod at a pond today for pan fish

didnt catch shit
>>
>>882361
May of just been the day. Try tomorrow. Dawn or mornings are always best for me with panfish.
>>
>>882343
Half of /out/ is /pol/
>>
>>882378
Like half your sister is my cock.
>>
File: IMG_8191.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8191.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>882378
I need to post moar fishing threads on /o/

And a good portion of /out/ is /k/, and /k/ is a bunch of nut jobs who argue on /pol/ so I think that's where it comes from.

We gotta get to 309 so I can go to bed...
>>
>>882380
Are you saying we're fucking you with large penis or that you're a bitch half filled with autistic shitposters?
>>
File: 20160812_185410.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160812_185410.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>882383
>>
File: IMG_0481.jpg (174KB, 848x1131px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0481.jpg
174KB, 848x1131px
>>882384
Wut?
>>
>>882325
Christ I never seen a trout that big
>>
File: 20160812_195555.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160812_195555.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>
>>882383
I think there is some /b/leed over too.
>>
File: IMG_0531.jpg (52KB, 362x278px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0531.jpg
52KB, 362x278px
>>882399
>>
File: IMG_1075.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1075.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>882339
No little fishes in the ocean
>>
>>882282
Because you catch shitty sea Robin instead of flounder lol. They are cool fish but on the north east there are so many of them.
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 102

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.