[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/out/ fiction

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: ellienorton_daysevil.jpg (248KB, 900x1150px) Image search: [Google]
ellienorton_daysevil.jpg
248KB, 900x1150px
What is your favorite /out/ novel?

Currently reading The Crossing by Cormac McCarthy, I couldn't recommend it enough.
>>
Holy fuck that was a depressing book.
Fucking riveting but god damn.
I read that fucker over 20 years ago and its still with me.
>>
Jack London is king. But i also like Tolstoy, Thoreau...
>>
the swarm by f. schatzing.

anyone that hasn't read it should.
>>
>>879692
also anything written by Thomas thiemeyer
>>
>>879461
>>879474
Of the four McCarthy books this was far and away my least favorite, why did you guys like it?
>>
>>879955
McCarthy books (I've read)
>>
Cache Lake Country: Life in the North Woods
by John J. Rowlands
First published in 1947

If you liked Dick Proenneke's documentary "Alone in the Wilderness", this story is very similar.
>>
>>879461
The Crossing is a book I've recommended on these threads many, many times, so I'm quite glad you brought it up.
>>879955
I personally enjoyed the grueling, episodic structure of just following this journey from which much was learned about humanity and about the character himself. It's an excellent display of the ceaseless oppression of human nature and, well, nature-nature too.
>>
>>879955
I only read pretty horses and
the crossing . I like crossing better but was never up for going for another round of fucking depression so I stopped there.
Love his wring and would not change anything , but right now I just cant take the heartache
>>
>>879990
>>880012
I thought The Crossing was pretty bloated. I don't know if getting an award for Pretty Horses went to McCarthys head, but every other side character in The Crossing had this boring righteous soliloquy to deliver. I thought it came across as pretentious on the authors part.
>>
>>879461
Oh my god, I fucking love the border trilogy. You have to read all three. If you haven't read All The Pretty Horses, please do and then read Cities Of The Plain. All three come together so amazingly in the end. Cormac McCarthy is an absolute genius.

Also, be sure to read Blood Meridian. His Greatest Western.
>>
>>880030
Have you read any of his other books. Most of them are just like this. In fact, The Road, No Country For Old Men, and All The Pretty Horses are the exception for his writing. McCarthy LOVES soliloquy. The Crossing was a beast to read as a result, but was true to McCarthy form.
>>
I've been reading Robinson Crusoe.

I never realised how much shit he started out with, it's hardly /out/ at all.
>>
Hatchet
>>
>>881257
this. and walden. and travels with charley in search of america.
>>
>>880684
Seconding Blood Meridian. I'd also add Outer Dark and Suttree, though they're a bit less outdoorsy.
>>
The road is my favorite book by McCarthy, however the crossing and blood meridian are both great.
>>
>>881257
>dat orange drink
>>
>>879649
Second London. To build a fire is fucking amazing
>>
>>881257
God I loved that book when i was a kid. After I finished reading it I was telling my mom and Dad how awesome it was. The next day my Dad gives me an Estwing. Anytime i went /out/, didnt matter where or for how long, i took that Estwing.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.