[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

going solout

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 14

File: IMAG0408.jpg (2MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0408.jpg
2MB, 2688x1520px
Hello /out/. I need your help.

What do you do if you're going for an outdoor adventure by yourself? I don't really have any friends where I live but I'm trying to get out more, and just go see a thing. But it seems like whenever I get out for an adventure, it feels fruitless. Honestly, I'm trying to simply get out more than sitting at the computer; going out alone has got to be better than sitting in the dark playing video games every day.

I get to a place, nobody around, and I have to ask myself what the hell I'm doing there. Its like theres nothing to do other than look at trees or some shit. I don't really like working out or doing anything physical. What is it you do if you're going on a solo trip somewhere?
>>
File: IMAG0412.jpg (2MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0412.jpg
2MB, 2688x1520px
>>879221
Its peaceful n shit, and I can reflect on my life, but shit, I can do that anywhere.
>>
Not many people can simply enjoy being /out/ for /out/'s sake. If you're having trouble finding purpose, set a goal or specific destination you want to go see. Think up a few things you may want to do on the trail like improvement on building fires, setting up shelters, creating a bird watching log, etc. My goal for this weekend is to do 20 miles on the PCT and work on my ability to identify plant life and fungus. Then I'll head back to camp and get dickered on some rum around the fire all night, and a little light reading.
>>
File: IMAG0377.jpg (2MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0377.jpg
2MB, 2688x1520px
>>879229
I think it would be cool to start a small fire to stare into while the sun is going down, however in CA starting a fire on purpose is akin to punch a pregnant woman.

Overall my goals are to disconnect from constant media like youtube, news, snapchat, etc. Just listen and look at the world as well as space out and daydream.
>>
File: IMAG0363.jpg (1MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0363.jpg
1MB, 2688x1520px
>>879233
My favorite thing to do is drive to the beach when its raining. Theres usually just a couple people doing the same thing I am to smell the rain, listen to the drops on the car, and just sit in silence. But again, it rains about twice a year in CA and its a special treat.
>>
>>879233
>>879234

I'm with you on the fire thing, SoCal here. We're a tinderbox state so there's not many places where you can have a fire in the bush without breaking some regulation or other. On the plus, there's a ton of skirt camp which are developed (with fire rings) that have little to no people in them. As much as I'd like to have a fire while dispersed camping myself, you run the risk of major fines. There are designated "tracker" rangers who can find that shit from 30 klicks off and it's just not worth it.
>>
>>879234
I live in the North East of Scotland and there's miles of beach coastline, I've camped there a couple of times and it's so comfy to hear the waves and pitter pattering of rain on your tent roof, as long as it doesn't get too rough.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-10-12-21-19-44.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-10-12-21-19-44.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
Some places are definitely more /out/ than others. For me, the solitude of nature resets my stress. I have a moderately techy job where I'm glued to my phone and email all day, and travel on planes up and down the west coast for 5-10 days at a time (constantly, only home for weekends)

I live for beauty in nature. I've been lucky enough to see some cool new places, but for the most part I can't get /out/ while working.

When I get home for my weekends, I usually cherish solitude and do things for myself like reading, cleaning, or going out in nature. I've done a handful of solo trips, 3 days being the max so far.

My favorite is middle of the week during off seasons, as you will see 1 or 2 people at most on a trail during the day, and guaranteed to have the place to yourself at night.

The things during the day that occupy most of my time is hiking (to get to the location I'm camping, then I usually set up base, and travel maybe a mile in a few directions from there) gathering wood. Working on fire starting skills (as mentioned already in this thread, and I'm getting pretty good at ferro rods, I started a fire in raining conditions with one last trip) plant identification (like mentioned in this thread) photography, music listening, and also just meditation/contemplation.

In the evening I'll tend a small fire (pic related), cook dinner, stargaze, listen to slow music, read, or sometimes play an nes or snes rpg on my phone. Keep in mind these are things I do while solo, and it's dark.

I also enjoy walking around and picking up litter I see, and packing it out. It really does make me feel better about myself, and is therapeutic to be selfless.

I also love getting high in the middle of the day while I do the listed tasks. Not as fun at night, as it can get lonely, and the mind is in a more fragile spot to get spooked or sad.

Trips like this are the only time in my adult life I've felt the awe of being a child again.
>>
The single most serene moment in my life was visiting lassen NP alone a few years back. Had issues in my life and sine aren't still completely reSolved. But i went to the cinder cone which is a short trail maybe 5 miles rOund trip. I walked through a small forested area that opens up into a field of volcanic rock and ash with rolling reddish hills and sparse trees and boulders. The landscape was surreal when i first came out on the volcanic rock. It was like the surface of mars. And looming in the distance was the cinder cone, remnants of a blown volcano. It appeared as a shadowy pyramid against the blue sky. At the base i realized it was all coarse volcanic rock and hiking up the 900 feet or so was a challenge because every step meant sliding back a few inches. And at the top you can see a downward spiral into the maw of the mound and a few trees are scattered about the upper rim. I just sat down amazed at the spectacle and gazed out on the horizon for what seemed like an eternity. The whole time i saw no one and it was pure and beautiful and it was all mine.

For me, i like being out and even more i cherish those brief moments of solitude. You can let your thoughts wander, forget all the worries and concerns of adulthood in a technological era, observe the signs of wildlife, imagine the history that the landscape tells, listen to the wind howling through the trees, ponder the infinitude of the universe. That shit is just my jam. It just might not be for everyone.
>>
I have literally never gone backpacking NOT solo
It's not hard, just don't be an idiot, tell someone where you're going and when you expect to be back, and take a first aid kit
>>
>>881386
I think I might be an idiot, I didn't fully read your post and thought it was another "is it ok to backpack alone, /out/? thread
>>
>>879234
>>879233

Where in CA are you? I'm in the bay area and we have a ton of good spots doable in a just a few days. Went solo backpacking last night at the Forest of Nicene Marks, near Santa Cruz. It was pretty cool but I went alone to Henry Coe a few weeks previously and it was spectacular, didn't see anyone at all after i got off the main road.
>>
>>879221
>I don't really like working out or doing anything physical
then stay inside, fatty.
your fatness is polluting my outdoor experience.

the thought of going into the woods and meeting some clueless obese turd smelling of of tacos makes me sick to my stomach.
>>
>>881434
stfu faggot
>>
File: IMAG0419.jpg (2MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0419.jpg
2MB, 2688x1520px
>>881394
Down in SoCal. My job takes me to the ocassional remote location where I can wander and see wildlife without another person within miles of me.

>>881434
Whats wrong with the smell of tacos?
>>
File: IMAG0421.jpg (2MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0421.jpg
2MB, 2688x1520px
>>881516
I think these were up on Figueroa mountain?
>>
>>879221
Bring a GoPro and make YouTube videos of your trips. It is less lonely when you have an audience.
>>
File: IMAG0360.jpg (2MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0360.jpg
2MB, 2688x1520px
>>881542
There is a radio show host that described how to be a successful radio presenter or youtube star. He put it simply: "sit in a room alone, and be interesting".

Frankly, I'm not very interesting and usually have little to say. Its one of the stronger reasons why I'm single and have no friends; people take my silence as being unhappy or disinterested. I don't think I could make a video of shit, no talking, and have anyone watch it or care about it.
>>
You could try birding, looking for amphibians/reptiles, or plant/tree/fungi ID. Or just generally take notes on surroundings and ecosystem. Good ways to kill time and learn something.
>>
>>879251
Furryboots ye fae?
>>
>>879221
>theres nothing to do other than look at trees or some shit.
I personally have a huge admiration of nature and can always find something new to see/discover even if it's woods I've walked in many times already. Appreciation of the beauty of the wild can be a powerful motivator, you just have to find it.
>>
>>881545
My first video has 30,000 views and I never spoke a word. Making videos just keeps my brain occupied and the results are encouraging. Alternatively, there are hiking clubs and group hikes if you need to be around people.
>>
>>879221
I'm in the same boat as you OP. None of my friends are willing to leave their rooms and go do something fun outside. All I want to do is go on hikes and look for rocks (rock nerd here). Why does nobody share my interest
>>
>>879221
Grass is greener m8, I only wish I could ditch the assholes who tag along with me on my nice quiet hikes.
>>
I got a hardon for nature when I got interested in Herbs n shit.
Still can't tell any plants apart besides yarrow, but slept outside for over 80 days now, alone.
Am only 20.
>>
>>881761
OP here, frankly is draining to be around people, especially people I don't really know. I'm super introverted so talking with strangers or trying to meet new people take a lot out of me. I enjoy being alone, but I know I should probably get out more.
>>
>>881820
I'm in socal too, and have pretty much hiked about everywhere in sd. What you describe is very similar to me. I also only hike alone and don't really like to be around people for the most part. Even passing people going the opposite direction annoys me since they like to stare and act cool by talking loud.

I even go as far as putting earbuds in and pretend like I'm listening to music so that nobody asks me anything on the trail. If someone needs help, I don't mind but it's usually some stupid shit like if I can take their photo.

Just go out there and enjoy the fresh air, and the scenery.
>>
>>881820
>>881882

We all should get together and get blasted out in the woods.
>>
File: IMAG0375.jpg (2MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0375.jpg
2MB, 2688x1520px
>>881888
Sounds like a terrible idea

>>881882
I'm in Ventura, Malibu is a short drive, Figueroa Mtn is nearby, Santa Barbara is close, and the beach is always there.

I'd love to be able to watch military planes come and go from vandenberg or other bases, but they really don't like you within 50 miles of their base.
>>
>>881890
>Sounds like a terrible idea

Good, I only said it out of courtesy. I like to get nude when I'm bush-drinking.
>>
File: IMAG0328.jpg (923KB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0328.jpg
923KB, 2688x1520px
>>881891
You seem like a stranger danger kinda person. I would go home at the thought of encountering a person like you.
>>
File: IMG_0403.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0403.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>881893

I'm really a great guy once you get past the nude part.
>>
File: IMAG0379.jpg (2MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0379.jpg
2MB, 2688x1520px
>>881896
The only nudity I wouldn't mind being involved with is with a female. Not in a sexual way, just casual nudity watching a movie or hanging out kinda thing.
>>
File: IMG_0723.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0723.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>881898

Sounds like a good-old-plutonic-time.
>>
>>879221
I have never been on an outdoor adventure by myself, but if I ever get around to it, I would probably enjoy my surroundings and contemplate my life. Honestly, when you go outdoors, you should just relax and leave all your problems behind, its not worth stressing about your problems back at home.
>>
File: IMG_0729.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0729.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>
For you SoCal guys in this thread, can you explain what permit is required to do some dispersed camping in the Cleveland National Forest? The official websites aren't very specific to the details and there are a handful of permits to choose from. Don't think I've ever had so much confusion with just wanting to backpack for a week in the bush...

What's the exact process?
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.