[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Water purification

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 8

File: maxresdefault.jpg (672KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
672KB, 1920x1080px
I've never been to much anywhere else but my local trails and the streams are clean enough to drink straight as long as you don't deliberately drink turbid water but do other anons have any tips or such for finding and purifying?

I have a Sawyer Mini (I don't buy the gorillion gallon guarantee but it seems solid enough) but am thinking of pairing it with a fluid pump from ebay or something because the dirty water is going into the inlet so a solid seal isn't particularly important with the pump itself.

Do others use iodine or chlorine and how would you compare it with other methods? It seems convenient but I'm wary of expiration dates and supposedly it causes stomach troubles but have never used it so wouldn't know.
>>
>>879204
the wawyer mini is good for what it does. but apparently you actually used it, unlike thr morons that recommend it here.

get a first need. they are expensive. they have a few pages of instuctions. and the replacement filters cost almost as much as the unit.

but trust me. it is the absolute best filter, unless you are a "15 pounds is to much" hiker.

they save on weight just to wait. pottery.
>>
i got a katadyn pocket. never had trouble with it and the filter lasts forever.

>iodine or chlorine
just no

just my opinion though
>>
>>879204
i cant imagine not having a camp fire so I usually sport two 48oz stainless bottles for a majority of my water needs then use a sawyer or my pump katydyn when I am on the move/emergencies. I hate iodine or bleach to purify and never personally carry it.
>>879209
what are your issues with the sawyer?
>>
1) Stainless steel Kleen Kanteens. No plastic coating or spray or any garbage like that; you can put them right in a fucking fire with the cap off and boil water directly in the canteen. Usually I bring coffee filters/bandanas/cheesecloth for solid filter and boil it safe.

2) If I can't boil water and I need water, I've fucked up badly, but I still have a backup, which is Katadyn micropur tablets. They're not iodine< but they are a chlorine dioxide tablet, however they don't leave any taste (that I notice). I like the Katadyns because they're the only tablets that kill Cryptosporidium and Giardia on top of your standard bacteria/virus garbage. The only downside is that if you're super paranoid and think it's crypto water, you have to wait 4 hours. You could still just scoop it in your canteen, tablet it and then carry on hiking though.
>>
>>879399
it takes fucking forever as a gravity fed. like op stated. and you pretty much have to have 2 bags and 2 tubes to use it.

I own one. I keep it in my truck for emergencies. they do work. and if you are that patient, go ahead and use it. I prefer pump filters though, and the best one I have ever used is the first need.

pretty much any pump filter can also be used as a gravity filter, if you end up crossing a source near camp.
>>
>>879204
:o)
>>
>>879204
>pic

Yet another demo of a product where they filter water directly from the source instead of putting it into a cup, allowing the sediments to settle then filter it. Either these companies never actually use the product or they really love selling you replacement filters. Even in a "clean-looking" body of water you should allow it to sit and settle for a while.
>>
>>879204
>the streams are clean enough to drink straight

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterborne_diseases
>>
>>879500
damn nigger
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>879485
Picked this up for my latest /out/ing. Squeeze bag is 1L. Filled my 3L bladder in about 5 minutes. Worked like a charm and only cost $10 more than the regular Sawyer Mini.
>>
>>879503

They pretty much are if you're up north enough, especially if you get it straight from the glacier or spring. I wouldn't try it anywhere highly populated or touristy though.
>>
>>879594
You may want to read through that link in its entirety. Parasites and organisms still live in those areas.

http://alaskacenters.gov/alaskan-diseases.cfm
>>
>>879611

90% of them are transmitted through fecal mater, avoid that and you should be safe-ish. It depends how good your immune system is too, don't try it if you're one of those people who gets food poisoning 900 times a year.

Or just boil or treat your water. Pumping water through a little tube filled with a bit of charcoal isn't going to do much.
>>
>>879204
I use a katadyn hiker because I can fill my camelbak through the drinking tube by way of some adapters. Never have to remove it from my bag. Don't have to deal with trying to pump and hold the bladder either.
>>
>>879624
>90% of them are transmitted through fecal mater, avoid that and you should be safe-ish
Iy
It's impossible to know whether or not something has shit near the stream upriver from you, but the chances are always high.
>>
>>879204
I use the mini as well, works for three years now. I would use chlorine tablets, but they take ages.

>>879209
You sound angry.

>>879399
Fire is my backup plan.

>>879435
You spelled Kleen Kanteen wrong, its spelled Nalgene or Guyot stainless steel bottle.

>>879542
The mini isn't that much slower. Problem is getting the water in the bag sometimes. I don't get people complaining about 5 or 10 minutes. In the olden days you had to make fire or pump until your wrist broke.
>>
>>879793
getting water in the bags is pretty simple with the simplest of containers. Pour into the bag. Dont try to submerge. Have a cook pot? Then you are set.
>>
1. Get a lifestraw
2. Put it in your nalgene
3. Fill said nalgene with river water
4. Drink
5. ???
6. Profit
>>
>>880162
Have you ever actually used a lifestraw?
They are awful.
Idk maybe you are really good at sucking >;)
>>
>>879204
Thru Hiker here. Didn't filter water for 80% of the PCT. Boiling is my fail safe, so I don't have to carry any extra gear. I can always start a fire or rely on my camp stove and filter particles with my bandana.

I judge streams by their flow, whats up hill (switch backs, chemical run off from roads, or camp sites someone or a horse may have crapped), the source (snow melt is ideal), distance from the source (further upstream the better), aeration of fill point, clarity (not just silt and floaties but looking out for algae and other biological debree), temperature (colder better), animals around (cows grazing, bird infestation crapping, tadpoles in a pond), and mainly how much water I need to carry to the next source. Always drink from the uphill portion where the stream would cross the trail so as not to drink where people have tread. I try to drink as little water as I can if I'm skeptical until I get to the next water source. Then I rise and refill, even if it gives me just a little peace of mind.

Gardia and water born diseases wont kill you. Get a spot device if you are worried about being in the middle of nowhere with diarrhea. Filtering water sucks. Get a steri-pen if you must, so you can keep all dem minerals. DON'T BUY A SAWYER.
>>
>>879204
I would always err on the side of caution and filter or boil if you're just starting off. It's difficult to eyeball water and say it's clean.

Like you, my preference is for the sawyer mini, because we do a lot of through hiking, and starting a fire every time you want to boil water for 6 people is too much hassle.

Purification tablets are a good backup in case your filter breaks or gets lost on a trip, They're very lightweight, but practice using them before you go and see if they upset your stomach,
>>
>>879500
do you make some moonshine with it, my dixie friend?
>>
>>879500
Yes... 'water purification'
>>
>>879633
If you drink from a spring there is no "shit upriver", only underground rivers and spongy rock
>>
>>880227
well water can still be infected. it has to be tested every year where I live from a certain bacteria that can affect immunocompromised individuals. Well is 60 feet down.
>>
>>880227
>car crash above underground stream
>oil leaks onto road
>rain starts
>washes oil off road onto ground
>seeps into ground and makes way to underground stream
>water is now shitified
>>
>>880223
>>880225
It is only used for water distilling. I have no need for making spirits. I make my own wine at home already. Using that to make spirits would make some really nasty tasting spirits. Not that spirits are not already nasty tasting. If I were to make spirits, I'd not be using copper, and I'd have a mini-distillery license and inspected distillery equipment. It really isn't that expensive considering the savings you'd be getting. I'm not sure why the hicks don't get licensed properly.
>>
>>880203
Yeah, I can't see not boiling water after filtering it. Though, I have a rather large stock pot I use for such things. I don't find it to be a hassle. I just plan ahead and when we have cooking fires I also filter and boil water to top off the reserves.

It goes hand in hand with meal planning.
>>
>>880272
Not everyone wants to sit around camp all day
>>
>>880382
It doesn't take very long over a good fire. 30mins tops for the entire production. Use stainless steel canteens so you can put hot water right into it without waiting for it to cool off.
>>
>>880271
>Implying only rural people make moonshine
>>Implying copper is inferior for making all distilled spirits
>>>Implying you can't use wine to make fantastic spirits
>>
>>880393
>Spend an hour tearing up the forest for fuel, break my 3 Mora's batoning, making a fire , boil water, burn myself pouring it in canteens, pass out while hiking from the extra weight of the canteens and the boiling water I am carrying around, wake up, drink boiling water, burn mouth and die.

>Mfw I'm dead and never have to do that again
>>
>>880455
>30mins tops for the entire production.

>somehow this stupid fuck is such an idiot and can't do it all in 30mins
>thinks that water doesn't cool down.

How on earth do you get dressed in the morning without help?
>>
>>879500
Any lead in that solder you used anon?
Really nice job though, gonna have to make a larger version of that for the creek out bck of our cottage.
What do you use for pre filter if at all. I figure we could clean up water fast enough that we never have to lug any again.
>>
>>880194
>I judge streams by their flow,
So you never saw a dead deer or some other critter rotting away in a stream anon? Seen shit like that way to many times to ever not purify what I drink. and not over cook what I hunt for that matter.
>>
>>880271
>If I were to make spirits, I'd not be using copper,
>>880402
>>>Implying copper is inferior for making all distilled spirits
Pros and cons of copper in the distilling process please, and lets act like we're all family here, OK. No need to disparage the truly /out/ like those "hicks" are.
>>>>Implying you can't use wine to make fantastic spirits
How does that work, you just remove the pure alcohol from the wine? seems lot a lot of extra work unless you're talking about using that super cheap shit that come's $8.00 a gallon cause that would be a fairly big added cost, no?.
>>
>>880194
Another thru-hiker here. I filtered about 80% of my water with a Sawyer. Didn't filter for the Sierra Nevada, but did bring Aqua Mira as backup.
>>
>>880500
Copper is a good compromise of being inexpensive, being mostly neutral and at the same time durable and an excellent heat conductor to condense spirits. Glass is the 'ideal' material for the actual distillation for the purest product possible except it is expensive, fragile and purity is largely overrated in terms of anything but vodka.

If you wanted to really make alcohol on the cheap 50lb bags of sugar and yeast will yeild you gallons of ethanol for maybe two or three dollars on the 140 proof gallon.

You can also make rum with the same restaurant supply connection and that's probably more recommended if you want something other than neutral alcohol and 'birdwatchers mash' is famous for the cheapness and taste, if distilled correctly.

That being said if you like wine continue making wine but some like spirits and like the process behind it. If you are after cheapness of getting hammered buying jugs of vodka are still the best bet.
>>
>>880500
>>880556

Mostly stainless is only used if it's a cheap bargain product or you're making a neutral spirit like vodka.

Copper

The reasons that copper is often used for distilling are as follows: it is a great conductor of heat, it will remove sulfur compounds, and is an easy metal to work with.The main drawbacks of copper are higher cost and the fact that they are more difficult to keep clean.
Stainless Steel

The best features of stainless are, it is less expensive than copper, it is very durable, and also easy to clean. The main drawbacks with stainless steel are it is not the best conductor of heat, and stainless steel won't remove sulfur compounds from the wash.
Stainless / Copper Still

Sometimes the best solution is a compromise. Depending on what you're using the still for and what features you want, a stainless boiler with a copper column might be the best solution.

Copper reduces bacterial contamination.Copper prevents the production of ethylcarbamat which is a toxic substance formed from
cyanides (cyanides are found in the stones of fruits).
Copper also improves the quality of the final product. If the quality of the mash is not microbiologically perfect, copper will improve the aroma of the final product.

>All cut and pasted from multiple sites you could have googled you lazy, millennial piece of shit.
>>
>>880460
Silver bearing solder used for water pipes. I'm still in design and testing phase right now. Currently making a silicone rubber seal (450F) for it and I need to install an inlet on one side.

Technically it won't need pre-filtering, but I'd want to filter it through at least a coffee filter-level filter first after having set for 10 or so mins to remove sediments. I want to be able to make muddy-brown floodwater and turbid mud puddle water safe to drink with it.

>>880402
I didn't imply anything.

>>880500
Copper isn't very good for distilling, but stainless steel is very expensive, while glass is merely impractical for a base camp water distiller. Most distilled spirits are filtered after distilling them.

The worst part about using copper is the flavor it adds. It is like drinking liquid pennies.

>>880556
>>880604
Most of your post is incorrect, kid. It is obvious you don't have any actual experience in the matter. Please, refrain from posting. You are now filtered.
>>
>>880708
>Most distilled spirits are filtered after distilling them
To get rid of large particulates you fucking dumbass, only vodka and certain spirits are filtered through things to do anything but that. Kill yourself.
>>
File: slow-clap-fails-01.jpg (87KB, 700x678px) Image search: [Google]
slow-clap-fails-01.jpg
87KB, 700x678px
>>880735
>states a fact
>someone else states the same fact
>"kys" is thrown around for some reason
>>
>>880745
>Doesn't know what he is talking about
>calls others kid
>>
>>880253

>oil
>seeps into ground

Oil floats you mong.
>>
>>879204
We had to use iodine on a school camp for ten days. The flavour took a little to get used to but I didn't get any stomach trouble. Most of the time we were drinking clean mountain water but one time we had to fill our bottle from a stagnant creek. The water was disgusting but none of us got sick.
>>
>>880762
iodine is much more effective if you remove every particles possible to remove also.
>>
>>880172
yeah they're fucking easy to use unless you have small lungs pussy
>>
>>881079
>using your lungs to suck through a straw

You are supposed to use suction in your mouth, nothing past that.
>>
>>879204
can anyone redpill me on iodine tablets or liquid as water purification?
for week long excursions into the forest
i don't mind the taste. im just wondering if it has any side effects
>>
I had a decent experience using my sawyer just with the normal squeeze bottle thing. My mate just filled up straight from the river though, I was doing it mainly to get a good feel for how it worked. It wasn't that much slower.
>>
>>881274
>redpill
Please stop, I go to /pol/ but it's so fucking overused and out of place anywhere but there.

Anyway, it works well and is more or less indefinitely shelf stable if you are into the whole bulk buy or prepping thing. If you are really allergic to shellfish it might cause a reaction becasue it's extracted and purified from them and somepeople get some problems from it potentially messing with your gut bacteria. Has the benefit of being a disinfectant in the concentrate form.

If you are going to buy it I'd recommend getting bulk 99.9% pure from chemical supply stores, Polar Pure is literally that in a small brown bottle and marked up 3 or 4 times. Follow instructions to make the disinfectant drops and keep it away from sunlight.

All chemical sterilization needs to take at least 30 min but ideally 3 hours at 50+ F if you want it to be as effective as it can be.

The main problem is that Cryptosporidium and to a lesser extent Giardia doesn't get well destroyed from iodine or standard chlorine, chlorine dioxide is the only widely available chemical that works effectively and fast but unless you buy it individually wrapped it will expire in a matter of a couple months.

That being said many people have used just the basic sterilizers and have been fine so it's up to you to determine what is your best course of action.
>>
File: 1460588677078.jpg (11KB, 284x284px) Image search: [Google]
1460588677078.jpg
11KB, 284x284px
>>881079
> mfw breathing through a lifestraw during a housefire
>>
>>881274
>im just wondering if it has any side effects
my gf has serious skin problems if she overdoes iodine. it's like contact dermatitis and took us a long time to figure out it was caused by the iodine pill. good news is if you stop taking it it goes away.
>>
File: sawyer vs sawyer.jpg (3MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
sawyer vs sawyer.jpg
3MB, 2560x1920px
WATER FILTRATION PSA

>>879204
DONT FALL FOR THE SAWYER MINI MEME
JUST GET THE SAWYER REGULAR

the sawyer mini weighs like an ounce less but is 10x more of a pain in the ass to filter with
the rate of flow is much lower, and you have to squeeze much harder
>>
>>879398
Fuck is wrong with iodine?
>>
>>881726
Doesn't do much against protozoa like giardia and crypto
>>
>>880472
>So you never saw a dead deer or some other critter rotting away in a stream anon?
I just walked 2650 miles through 25 national forests and 7 national parks and didn't see one dead animal in a water source. I wouldn't imagine a dead critter in a stream would be a cesspool for bacterial growth anyway, streams are usually very cold and it would probably be carried away within the week it died. In any case, if one were to pee in an olympic swimming pool full of fresh spring water, it's not like the other 660,000 gallons are going to be so tainted I wouldn't drink it. Worry about a dead critter or reasonably any bacterial source is ridiculous considering how many gallons are flowing past you every second in a stream with high flow...

If you can't trust the mountains to give you fresh water, why do you trust whatever shitty pipes run your tap miles around the city to your faucet?

>>880502
Yeah I was teased a bit for never filtering, but I never got sick and I'm sure as hell glad I didn't have to sit around filtering water for 10 minutes multiple times a day. Sawyers don't work if they freeze anyway, it's hard to remember to toss it in your bag every night.
>>
>>881796
>everyone lives near or and hikes on the Appalachian trail
Is there something in the water that forces everyone to talk about it and only frame everything in it? Like toxoplasmosis but more annoying?
>>
>>880271
because it costs money and because they don't like the government horning in on what they do and because they have this outdated romantic view of moonshining
>>
File: images.jpg (6KB, 204x247px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 204x247px
little tip for you sawyer filter guys, use the smart water bottle cap shown here to clean out your filter. I always hated carrying that bulking syringe
>>
>>880708
TOPKEK copper absolutely does not add any fucking "penny" flavour you fucking cunt.
>>
>>880708
Scary filtering guys, this guy is serious about his filtering. FILTER THE FILTERS GUYS
>>
>>880708
Must be why all the premier liquor distillers use only stainless steel and unobtanium.
>>>>oh shit they don't.
>>>>>>Except for vodka makers who use triple distillation rigs because they are taking the nastiest fucking alcohol to make vodka and that's the only way to remove flavour
>>
>>880500
Brandy is one liquor that is distilled from wine for instance.

Technically every kind of hard alcohol starts as a "wine"

You create your "mash" let ferment, remove solids, and what's left is essentially wine.
>>
>>882238
Can't you just blow on it?
>>
>>879204
>I've never been to much anywhere else but my local trails and the streams are clean enough to drink straight as long as you don't deliberately drink turbid water

>tfw there were times you could just drink water from streams and rivers and everything would be okay
>>
File: glacial-water-columbia-icefields.jpg (276KB, 1440x960px) Image search: [Google]
glacial-water-columbia-icefields.jpg
276KB, 1440x960px
>>882757

>tfw there were times you could just drink water from streams and rivers and everything would be okay

>not living by a clean water source, Your ancestors were failures.
>>
>>880393
you do realize what nalgene bottles were originally used for, right? every science lab in the world has this little pressurized washing machine that heats water vapor to around 250degrees.

you can pour boiling water into a nalgene. it will get really soft, but it will not destroy it.

and if I had stainless steel.canteens, why not just boil in the canteen?
>>
>>882757
It actually wouldn't, the natives just got used to drinking really terrible water and you just kind of dealt with parasites if fecal remains are any indication.

Most modern filtering and purifying proceedures is because most people don't want to be bothered drinking terrible water from infancy up. You would drink most water and be fine if you just pay attention to clarity and source.
>>
>>882862
They tend to tip if they get a boil going on because of the narrow base. Though this isn't really a problem if you just hang them with a wire.
>>
>>882971
Actually they suffered from malnutrition, parasites and lived short brutal lives. Do not romantisize the "noble savage"
>>
>>883027
Obviously most died in infancy and adolescence but once you hit 20ish and you don't make it a point in your civilization to drink wine boiled in lead you hade a decently good chance of living to 60s.

Child mortality really messes with the figures
>>
>>883050
Mid 40's Max.
>>
>>882974
I always stack mine against rocks, I never even thought of that. next time I put hot water in a nalgene I will hang it from 550. althou I guess I will need gloves for that.
>>
>>883246
The 550 will melt retard
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.