[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone tried or seen one of these new B and S generators?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 13

Has anyone tried or seen one of these new B and S generators?
since they have just a bit more power they are supposedly able to run an A/C unit.
Anyone have real experience with this?
They cost half what a honda does
>>
File: DSC09723-L.jpg (170KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
DSC09723-L.jpg
170KB, 800x600px
>>878523
>supposedly able to run an A/C unit
>with 2200 watts
>which is usually peak rating, not continuous

unless it's an incredibly small A/C, it's not going to run it. Even a small rooftop camper AC will overload that gen on startup. Need about 3kW for those, 4kW peak/startup.

Good for everything else in a camper though - charging house batts, run small electric appliances, charge laptops/cameras/equipment.

It is parallelable, so two of them together will give you capacity for an AC.

If you're looking for a less-expensive option instead of honda/yamaha, i'd check out the generac units. I have an older ix2000... it works well. The newer iq2000's are even better, quieter, and add parallel capability.

If you're mainly using it to power an AC, i'd just buy a 3kW+ honda/yamaha unit.
>>
>>878523
Nope sorry I stoped buying Bull & Shit products years ago.
>>
>>878611
I have run a small window unit with a 2000 wat honda before but it did trip once in a while .
That one was 1600 continuous and this one is 1700 so I was hoping it was just enough extra to iron out the occasional tripping
>>
>>878523
Friend has one. Burnt lots of oil from day one.
>>
File: IMG_20160905_160028.jpg (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160905_160028.jpg
2MB, 2048x1536px
>Contribing to the death of the planet and all life on earth
>AC fags while /out/
Please go green or move to a cooler place, if you can't take the heat.

Please stop killing the Mother.
>>
File: IMG_0232.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0232.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>878611
What's the word on generic ones?

I have pic related, and it was still like $600 or $700 while the same size one from another brand (Like Lowe's Troy Bilt) probably would've run an extra $100-$200. Honda ones are just overpriced as fuck. I figure mine has to be reliable enough since those small engine designs never change. I probably wouldn't even want to bring this thing car camping though, it is heavy as fuck.

Which reminds me I really should go buy some Sta-Bil for these gas cans. I had the generator still in the box for over 3 years and finally started it up when Matthew was rolling through.
>>
File: IMG_0504.png (647KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0504.png
647KB, 640x1136px
>>878622
>tfw can't even find 2-cycle generators above 1000w because of pussy environmentalists
Why live?
>>
>>878630
>2 cycle

You really are the idiot everybody says!
>>
File: DSC_1288-L.jpg (138KB, 800x532px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1288-L.jpg
138KB, 800x532px
>>878622
and then there's these faggots...

>>878628
Those open-frame generators are nothing like the inverter-type units >>878611 and >>878523.
Those run at a constant 3600RPM... they're cheap and provide a lot more power than the inverter systems can, which is why construction sites love them so much. They're not very efficient since they're chugging away at 3600RPM regardless of the load, where an inverter model will throttle the motor down based on the demand.... but because they're direct-driven, they can pump out significantly more power at the higher end of their rating per gallon of fuel burned.

Inverters don't do well with inductive loads like motors either, so if you're running saws/drills you'll want the open-frame gen for that.

Really depends on what you need it for. High-demand or inductive loads, they're great. Camping, they're awful.

>>878630
>2-cycle generators
Premixing kinda sucks though, and for your average idiot, the chances of fucking up the gen by running it on straight fuel is way higher than manufacturers are willing to take.
A thumper can take a little more variation in fuel quality, and runs quieter.

Hondas/yamahas are quality units... good engines and good electrics. For someone who wants to have a gen on standby and not have to fuck with it when they need it, they're worth the money.
Being a motorhead/electrical engineer, I'm willing to maintain the gen yearly and I have the tools/equipment/skills to diagnose and repair anything that can go wrong with it... so the cost savings of a cheaper one is worth it to me.

>127cc's, kek
>>
>>878653
Good to know. What is that busted rod from? How long did it take to replace it?

>>878638
>he doesn't like torque and fumes
But 2-cycle engines can be finnicky sometimes. They are simple, but after sitting awhile they can take a minute to get moving again. I just have a love of 2-cycle engines because of the power they make from such a small and simple package.

>4 cycle lawnmower
>2 cycle blower
>both sitting for the past year
>lots of rain, landscaper doesn't show up for another week but the grass is long.
Prime the mower and it starts on the second pull. Prime the blower, choke on, pull, pull, pull, pull, runs for 30sec and dies, pull, pull, runs for 10sec, dies, let it sit for 15min, pull again, runs rough for 5 min, finally lets me take the choke off and give it some throttle and runs well.

Two cycle turbocharged diesel engines are awesome tho.
>>
Why can't I buy a stirling engine designed to be suspended over a campfire?
>>
>>878668
>2 stroke, turbo-diesel leafbower

You just can't help.
>>
>>878674
Kek, that might be overkill. But they used to have 2-stroke turbo diesels in a lot of trucks. Emissions kinda killed it though but they are still used in off-highway applications. Those giant diesel engines in tankers are 2-stroke. And with forced induction like a turbo or supercharger, the whole working theory makes much more sense since the air coming in is under pressure and forces the exhaust out.
>>
File: chargetechplug.png (149KB, 620x620px) Image search: [Google]
chargetechplug.png
149KB, 620x620px
One of these and a full size 12 volt 250 watt rooftop style solar panel will do the same job as a small generator. But with none of the noise, and it never runs out of fuel.
>>
File: powerhouse.jpg (17KB, 425x425px) Image search: [Google]
powerhouse.jpg
17KB, 425x425px
There's also this, but 434 watt hours is a little excessive for probable camping needs, and it's $500
>>
File: DSC_8527_-L.jpg (148KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_8527_-L.jpg
148KB, 800x533px
>>878668
>Good to know. What is that busted rod from? How long did it take to replace it?
R&R on that engine. I got a screaming deal on those two gens, but they weren't in very good condition. Went through both, one works awesome, other one needs the ignition coil fixed. Teardown/rebuild, including splitting the case and servicing the inner sanctum of the engine, was probably an evening not counting the time it took to clean all the parts and wait for sealants to dry.

>>878673
Because physics; conservation of energy specifically. You could probably build one, but it's not going to produce enough useable energy for anything more than maybe illuminating an LED or two.

>>878679
Turbo'd snowmobiles are a lot of fun. I just don't have the bank account to run with mod-class guys on the race track, so I keep my motor stock and improve the transfer of power from the engine to the track. Modern N/A sleds are still more capable than 99%+ of the riders on them.
>>
>>878681
No way could that setup even come close to running a small a/c unit
>>
>>878690
build your own with 18650s, its probably what that unit contains anyhow. or any random lipo-cells with correct ratings.
>>
File: victa_power_torque.jpg (77KB, 800x1134px) Image search: [Google]
victa_power_torque.jpg
77KB, 800x1134px
>>878668
>runs for 30sec and dies, pull, pull, runs for 10sec, dies,

That will be down to the carburetor rather than the engine its self. If you used ethanol blend fuel that will not help.

I have pic related. It sat in the shed for all of winter with fuel in it and started first pull afterwards with the same fuel.
>>
>>878616
What's wrong with Briggs and Stratton? I can get their generators on the cheap, and I was thinking I might pick one up soon.
>>
>>878523
I sell these and hondas too... Honda is really good and briggs is really good just 2 times cheaper.
>>
>>878877
It's fresh fuel. Somebody on /o/ mentioned a certain jer in the carb may be clogged. I could believe it. I hadn't fired it up in a few years and then I ran it for the first time a few months back. It didn't want to go full throttle or have the choke all the way off. This was the second time I had it running in years.

But then after runnin like that for a bit the other day, I was finally able to run the throttle up and turn the choke all the way off and it seemed to run fairly smooth. Maybe some fresh fuel cleared something out. We'll see how it runs next time I fire it up.

I had a cheap Weedeater I was fucking with like a year ago and that probably needed a car rebuild and I just ended up buying a new one. I wanted to keep it and play with it but finally tossed it when I moved a few weeks ago. I changed the fuel lines and it would start up for a couple seconds and die so it was either getting flooded or starved of fuel.
>>
>>878703

Yeah but the inverter and various other converters inside, and handy form factor. I'd be buying it for that, not the cells, which as you say can be bought off the shelf.

At $500, assume the cells are $300 of the cost. That's about the going rate for a 400~Wh ebike battery. The remaining $200 is for the case, the inverter and other power electronics.

That's not unreasonable and you could easily spend more building your own unit with the same capabilities which would be ugly, jerry rigged and less compact.
>>
>>878698

It could run a heat pump however
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>878877
>>879049
>press primer
>line pops
>check out lines in fuel tank
>crumble

Time for some new fuel lines...
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>878877
Fresh fuel lines and drenched the carb with some cleaner while I had it apart.

>inb4 not /out/
I'm gonna be /out/ workin on that farmers tan this weekend
>>
>>879060
wut
>>
File: i-tSRCnbm-L.jpg (107KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
i-tSRCnbm-L.jpg
107KB, 800x600px
>>879109
>>879141
fuckin computer decided to go apeshit on me

anyways

run non-ethanol if you can get it - lasts a lot longer and won't chew up plastics/rubbers. Pure-gas.org, maybe call around to marinas or fuel depots that sell race gas. 91E0's what I feed all my small engines - easier to tune, runs more consistently, and it lasts longer without needing fuel additives like Stabil or seafoam.

Fueled my bike with 91E10 commuting last week, since I didn't have round-trip fuel capacity. Bike ran like shit on the way home... dumped that fuel out and fed it to the truck, refilled the moto with 91E0... ran much better.
Part of that could also have been the half-gallon or so of 85E10 in the hose, so I didn't really even get 91E10....

If it's feasible... drain the carb for storage. Catch can on the drain line, crack open the drain valve. If the carb has an AP, twist the throttle a few times to flush that out.

Protip: Soak the carb parts in pine-sol and hot water .... cleans all the varnish and fuel shit right out.

I also try to run my engines up to temp at least once a month... fire the gen up, let it warm up, load it with a 600W halogen for a few minutes, unplug that and let the motor/throttle settle back at idle, then shut it down.
>>
>>878622
I'm kind of with this guy actually. why the fuck even go out doors if you need A/C to keep cool. Put a hammock under a couple of shady trees and call it done. or let the breeze into the tent. go for a swim in a lake.
>>
I ran a 12000 btu ac, an xbox 360 and tv, one light, charged 3 phones and ran 2.1 speakers continuously with my generac 3300
>>
>>879060
>Can't run A/C
>can run backwards A/C
>>
>>879921
What the hell is backwards ac?
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.