[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Maybe I'm a little behind the times, but all these bushcrafters

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

File: 260px-Kuksa_2006_09_09.jpg (24KB, 260x282px) Image search: [Google]
260px-Kuksa_2006_09_09.jpg
24KB, 260x282px
Maybe I'm a little behind the times, but all these bushcrafters on YouTube have recently started carrying these wooden cups called Kuksas.

What's the deal with these? Some sort of fad?
>>
My father was a pretty big /out/ist, and I recall him having one like 30+ years ago.
>>
>>878105
>Some sort of fad?
yes.

the implication is that they're so outdoorsy, handy and artistic they made it themself, but the only people who are going to believe it are people want to believe it to have an excuse to suck their dick, either figuratively or literally.

not to say there aren't people who could make one, but i would be utterly shocked if even 1 person out of 1000 who carried one made it.
>>
this is probably a cultural thing, I'm from scandinavia so for me it's just a pretty common and traditional cup, my grandfather liked to carve these things
so it's not a fad to me

you can of course by these pre made in the store if you want
>>
>>878105
They've always been around in Scandinavia, but recently they've been made popular by a tv show called Nak & Æd.
>>
>>878105
Why would someone carve a possum effigy on their cup?
>>
>>878105
they are being taken as a viable example of what you can actually craft in the bush that has huge application. containers are not easily found in nature, and the ability to create one makes for an excellent paradigm for those trying to promote 'bushcraft'
>>
Dave Canterbury made one with powertools, so yeah, no more meme than that.
>>
>>878105
>Some sort of fad?

yes
>>
>>878151
How do you carve it without an adze and a bent knife? Nobody carries that shit into wood.
>>
>>878179

Glad I'm not the only one who saw that
>>
File: kuksa.png (1MB, 1079x1037px) Image search: [Google]
kuksa.png
1MB, 1079x1037px
>>878123
Here in Finland it is quite common to have a diy kuksa. In some schools they even teach kids to make those.

I carved this one from birch burl which is traditional material for finnish kuksa. Spoon knife and puukkos used for carving it were forged by me.
>>
>>878105
I came across these about a decade ago, thought they'd make for a cool camping mug.

With the rising interest of "traditional bushcraft/woodcraft" it was only natural for people to discover this. Its a little more difficult to make than spoons/forks
>>
>>878207
there's no requirement to do it outdoors
>>
>>878207

Charcoal burning my man.
>>
>>878324
Well didn't think it was very effective on anything but punky wood.
>>
>>878123
I even made my own spoon knife to make one. The wood has been curing for a few years already. I'll be using black cherry. So long as I can get a split-free section that is. Otherwise, I'll just use green sycamore wood.
>>
>>878207
>Nobody carries that shit into wood.

I do.

>>878332
It works well enough, just takes a while and it can split the wood badly.
>>
i use a plastic one.
it doesn't really do anything a plastic cup can't though.
>>
Is it alright to make these with pine? Which wood is acceptable to use?

Should any finishing layers be applied once it's carved like a laminate to preserve the wood?
>>
>>878356
Use birch.
>>
>>878304
>>878338
local variance and anecdotal evidence don't change my opinion on probable overall homemade:store-bought ratio.
>>
>>878370
No one said it did.
>>
>>878354
people make things like this because they're nice, not because they are trying to be more practical
>>
>>878369

Birch is a non-native species where I live.
>>
>bushcrafters on YouTube
>fad

bingo
>>
>>878105
>started

lurk more faggot
>>
>>878424

You're on the wrong board hos.
>>
File: DSC00232.jpg (2MB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00232.jpg
2MB, 3000x2000px
>>878105
bought one from the Sami in Kilpisjärvi, then went trekking for 2 weeks in Norway. Shits gold, ther is so much fresh water in those mountains that you do not need a bottle, just carry a kuksa on your belt or ruck and drink straight form the rivers and creeks whenever you want. Also, cold stuff stays cold in it and hot stuff hot, and because wood is a great insulator the cup itself does not get hot (ever burnt your lips on a steel cup?)
>pic related, mountain spring in Norway
>>
>>878105
>bushcrafters on YouTube
who watches this cancer anyway?
the point is to go out, not sit in front of you computer and eat chip watching "outdoor" youtube whores in cargo-shorts beg for likes and subscribers
>>
>>878465
to get tips and inspiration for trying new things

>the point is to go out, not sit in front of you computer
some of us manage a balanced lifestyle, where we're both outdoors and indoors

you're here shitposting on /out/ and then you give others shit for spending time online
>>
>>878465

Look at this guy.. Dumb piece of shit. Where do you think people learn the information they need to help them while /out/? They ain't going to school for it I'll tell you what. Books don't offer shit except a technical explanation whereas a visual allows better retention for memory, and you get to see the technique behind it too. Garbage shitposter, don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>878481
YT camwhore detected.

>>878465
Kid detected.
>>
>>878485

>>>/b/
>>
>>878304
That's awesome that they'd teach that in school.

Do they teach a lot of outdoors education in Finland?
>>
>>878535
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sloyd

It's not outdoor education exactly, but woodworking. I'm Norwegian and did some woodworking projects in school too.
>>
>>878356
Not advisable. Pine will leach sap into whatever you're drinking.
So unless you like your water/coffee/booze tasting like turpentine, I'd use a different wood.
As for finishing, a thin layer of food safe oil inside and out every now and then will help preserve the wood.
>>
>>878465
>he says on 4chan
>>
>>878535
>>878546
>>
>>878123
>make wooden cups
>sell wooden cups
>chastise the people who buy said wooden cups because they didn't make it themselves
God you sound like a shitty person to hike with.
>>
>>878430
ooohhh that is gorgeous.

Is it legal to build fires in Norway? I would love to go /out/ but if I can't build a campfire, I'm not going to enjoy myself as much.
>>
>>879005
from 15. september to 15. april you can build fires everywhere
the rest of the year you have to "use your head", and only put campfires in places where it's obvious that a forest fire can't start
>>
File: IMG_20140911_115016.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140911_115016.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
>>879005
What kind of shithole do you live in if you think that is gorgeous?
>>
>>878105
Family has a lot of friend in Finland and I find the Sami really interesting, I want to try and carve one.

Plus they look lovely
>>
>>879037
dude i'm not either of those people but if you want to be a dick go to a different board.
>>
>>879047
Not him but in fairness this is 4chan matey, friendly bants and suggestions to kys are to be expected.
>>
>>879037
Georgia.
Its beautiful in some places but ugly in others. I love Scandinavia though. It enthralls me.
>>
>>878105
I want to make one with mesquit.
>>
File: IMG_20160416_134058.jpg (1MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160416_134058.jpg
1MB, 1944x2592px
>>879047
Do you have a problem with people who identify as a dick, you homophobic faggot?
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.