[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lost axe

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

File: axe.jpg (175KB, 2501x1591px) Image search: [Google]
axe.jpg
175KB, 2501x1591px
/out/! I LOST MY AXE. I don't know where I lost it at either!

there are no flea markets where I live to find cheap used axe heads because my area sucks.

and I'm never gonna buy another crappy axe from the home improvement store that has a fucking head glued onto some shitty fiberglass shaft that ALWAYS comes lose.

but I don't wanna shill out 200+ dollars for a GFB. what are my options?
>>
Get a friction fit axe aka a tomahawk. By design the head can't fall off the handle without you knowing.
>>
>>877461
I would suggest looking over the axe thread with 200+ posts. It has a lot of good info.
>>
http://www.knifecenter.com/item/HUBH840061/hults-bruk-salen-20-inch-hatchet-hickory-wood-handle-leather-sheath

Get this.
>>
>>877461
Husqvarna axes, Hults bruk/hultafors, fiskars etc
>>
>>877461
>harbour freight
>$8
Who cares if it breaks
>>
>>877658
i would care if i was in the middle of the woods and it broke, unless you want to buy a bunch and lug them all around
>>
File: 20150928_183228~01.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20150928_183228~01.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
I highly recommend the Husqvarna Multi-Purpose axe. Mine cost me about 70 bucks on ebay and with a little care, it's damn near the quality of GFB.
>>
>>877683
>>877527

Thanks for the recommendations. All I need it to do is cut into hardwoods without glancing off because bad profiling or the edge keeps constantly get dull.
>>
>>877683
Grans is a fucking meme, they are decent axes but not the best.
>>
>>877461
buy a cheap ass fiskers the head will never come off you need to put a lot off effort into destroying one and they cost near to nothing. not the best edge but easy to sharpen. mine never has any problems tho still has the factory edge after many hours of work still cuts excellent.
>>
>>877697
Not really a meme, but a lot of what you pay for is the finish they give their products.
Husqvarna is like GFB without the final touch. (which you can give it yourself)
>>
>>877461

Have you tried axing around? Maybe someone saw it.
>>
>>877461
Do you have a Stihl dealer around? I picked up a Stihl forestry hatchet, and it's quickly becoming a favorite.

The forestry axe is still a little short unless you want a pack axe, but their "splitting axe" (not their splitting maul) might do the trick.

I think I paid $30 for the hatchet. They seem very high quality for the money.
>>
>>877792
I like you.
>>
>>877771
Grans only became popular because of Ray Meats and other fat fuck wannabe outdoorsmen
>>
>>877714
I love my fiskers, it still has the factory edge as well. My buddy liked it when he used it and got the same one but his didn't hold up like mine. I imagine they don't have the best QA.
>>
>>877841
I do.. But they proxy through ace hardware.

I found a flea market thats open during the weekend only about an hour away. Gonna try there first...

While all good suggestions. Have been said. Id like to find one for 5 or 10 bucks, even if its just a head. My last one I made its handle out of liveoak and it was a great axe. So if I can find a lose head or one with a busted handle for 5 or 10 bucks. Ill much rather do that.

Also what the fuck, WHY are shovels so expensive new?!?!? I can see why the mexicans steal ours from the job sites...
>>
>>877943
some batches turn out soft some too hard and chip. i think most are perfectly fine.
i also think they tried to outsource their flagship product to china too, but backed off for multiple reasons.
>>
I've only bought my axes and hatchets from the hardware

I don't even know what brands they are

They all work well enough

Around 15 dollars for the hatchets
40-50 for the axes
>>
>>877921
How does why they became popular figure in?

GB makes an objectively superior axe compared with Hults, Wetterlings, Council, Snow & Neally, Husqvarna, etc etc. Superior design, materials at least as good, and consistently top notch construction. Whether the difference is worth the cost is up to each person but for many of us who use an axe often it is.

Sure Mears is a bit chubby but he is a Brit and that is how most of them are made.

If you want truly absurd out of whack price to performance look at Best Made or Neeman or Autine. Neeman makes the equivalent of a parade axe, sells them for $500+, yet he is so busy he goes long periods without taking orders.
>>
>>878225
Husq doesn't making their own axes you fucking sperg.
>>
>>878225
Best Made Axes are made by Council Tool, looooool wow you are a special kind of faggot.
>>
>>878225
In what way are they superior? Please enlighten us, Axe Master.
>>
>>878225
Fuck, why not some $600 dollar racing axes am I right? Why not a japanese Ono axe? Why not a german made Helko axe? or a german made Iltis Oxhead axe? Wait what? you didn't mention Rinaldi! I mean come on man, COME ON CAN YOU EVEN INTO AXE, FAGGOT?
>>
>>877652
I recommend Husqvarna. I got one of their carpenters axes a few months ago and love it
>>
>>878823
Im enjoying everyones opinions so far. Thanks for that. After the flea market trip if it comes up empty then ill try to decide who I want to go with as far as buying new. I can't just see just yet 80+ dollars on an axe... To me thats expensive mainly because im poor. And somewhat because im cheap.
>>
>>877461
next time engrave it with some contact info

and or some red paint
>>
>>878225
what? they machine hammer their axes like everyone else a gb axe head is made under 2 minutes. nothing superior craftmanship about it.
same mass produced stuff.
>>
>>878225
>Neeman
he really is more like an artist tho and mass produced gb axes go for half his price??
>>
>>878517
Best made axes are just Council Tool axe heads with a fancy painted handle and fancy price tag.
>>
>>878828
>im poor.

Not poor enough to keep track of your shit, apparently.

Save up, buy a nice axe, and maybe you'll learn not to lose your stuff.
>>
>>878520
Either epic or massive sperg. I'm going to tip both my fedora and ball cap to you sir.
>>
>>878864
that's not necessarily bad. fewer reheats, the better
>>
File: counciltoolshudsonsbayaxe.jpg (14KB, 360x335px) Image search: [Google]
counciltoolshudsonsbayaxe.jpg
14KB, 360x335px
>>877461
how about this?
https://www.amazon.com/Council-Hudson-Bay-Protective-Sheath/dp/B00QMK04K8/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1476943497&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=councit+hudson+bay

or the more polished version
https://www.amazon.com/Council-Velvicut-Premium-Hudson-Sheath/dp/B00QSEEQP2/ref=sr_1_5?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1476943773&sr=1-5&keywords=council+hudson%27s+bay
>>
>>878976
Yeah this. How do you lose an axe? Break, sure, have stolen, sure, but just lose without recollection?
>>
>>877461
fiskars x15 is actually quite amazing for the money. They dare you to try and break it. If you do they will replace it. Its a pretty soft steel so you have to touch the edge up quite often but that shouldn't be a problem to anyone who appreciates sharp edges on all equipment. Geometry is very nice. I can fell trees or split wood with ease. Reviews for this axe are phenomenal across the board (check youtube or google.) Costs 35 dollars on amazon.
>>
>>879326
Hudson bay is such a fedora tier axe design.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.