[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tents

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

File: tent.jpg (21KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tent.jpg
21KB, 500x500px
Hello /out/

What is the best tent in your opinion? I have heard some people say that tents person tents are better than one person tents for going hiking.
>>
File: room with a view.jpg (2MB, 1728x2304px) Image search: [Google]
room with a view.jpg
2MB, 1728x2304px
my personal preferences:
>free standing dome
then you don't have to worry about staking in rocky or sandy terrain
>2 person
only a pound or two heavier than 1 person, the extra room is nice even if you're solo, and provides flexibility for going with a second person
>2 doors
very nice with a second person
>>
Cuben fiber zpacks tents are great. I have a solong 6 by lightheart gear, you set it up with trekking poles, love it.
>>
If I'm going anywhere with trees I'm bringing my hammock. Super light and easy setup also 10x more comfy.
>>
I just bought the ground cover and rain fly of the cheapest tent I could find on REI. I don't need the actual tent. Where I live there's hardly any bugs that eat at you while you sleep.
>>
>>876231
Only faggots buy ground covers since they cost almost as much as the tent and serve no purpose except to flood your tent
>>
File: Marble-Range.341.jpg (171KB, 1068x667px) Image search: [Google]
Marble-Range.341.jpg
171KB, 1068x667px
I picked up the Kelty TN 2 just yesterday. Looking forward to using it next weekend.
>>
OP here.

Quick question, how long does it take on average to set up your tent?
>>
>>876456

5 minutes or less
>>
>>876456
literally about 90 seconds. i love my tent.
>pull tent out of sack
>shake open and lay flat
>straighten pole 1
>insert ends into corner eyelte
>attach quick connect hooks
>repeat with pole 2
>done
if i want to put on the fly that's about another 90 seconds, mostly just spent making sure it's the right direction for the doors.
>>
>>876198
hilleberg soulo
>>
Hilleberg Staika.
>>
>>876325
My tent cost me $300. The ground cover was only $60 and has never caused flooding. Just because you don't know how to pitch a tent doesn't mean everybody else is retarded.
>>
>>876325
>serve no purpose except to flood your tent
Are you retarded? It's literally just a tarp cut to the size of your tent, how would it cause flooding?
>>
>>876198
I actually own that tent.

bretty good but it'll probably fall apart in a few years
>>
>>877026
It wouldn't flood my tent because I'm not retarded enough to use one. Have you ever been camping? Or do you stay home so your gear does get worn?
>>
>>877457
Don't get butthurt because you can't set up a tent properly.
>>
>>877460
Seems like you are the angry one. I'm just laughing at noobs who buy footprints because they serve no purpose except bragging on here about having cash to waste and flooding your tent if it rains.
>>
>>876198
>Tents person tents
You can't get better than that
>>
>>877617
>can't prevent flooding
>blames it on the ground cover because he can't set it properly

You keep saying it over and over again instead of posting why your tent floods so we can help you, so I'm assuming you're just trolling.

The only way a ground sheet can flood your tent is if it's larger than the tent itself and water drops run down the sheet and under the tent. This has nothing to do with ground sheets causing flooding, but the person who didn't set up their tent properly. I live in Michigan and it's almost always wet or a bunch of dew at night and my tents have never flooded.

If your ground sheet is larger than your tent for some reason, you need to roll it up under the tent. If that wasn't common sense for you, then you need some more experience being /out/.
>>
>>877457
I like how you deftly avoided answering the question.
>>
There's literally no way a groundsheet will cause flooding unless you pitched your tent in a spot where it was going to flood anyway.

Prove me wrong.

Protip: you can't
>>
Well I get a lot of compliments on my pants tent.

Hope this helps.
>>
>>877432
Same here. I bought it for casual camping with buddies/my girlfriend. It's light weight enough for me and cost like 35 bucks on amazon at the time.
>>
File: Cu_y7LNWgAEXlBA.jpg (112KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
Cu_y7LNWgAEXlBA.jpg
112KB, 1200x675px
>>877767

A simple Google search for "tent flooding from a groundsheet" brings up dozens of examples but let's just look at the first one from Cornell university. You can call all these people idiots and liars I suppose

http://www.lns.cornell.edu/~seb/philmont-drytent.html
>>
>>876325
Don't know how to set up a tent with a tarp huh?

If the ground cover is too big, it WILL flood your tent because rain water will fall on it and run under the tent without sinking into the ground. This happens to lots (I'd guess most people when they use a tarp the first time. I know it happened to me, you just don't think about it.)

So fold that shit in on the sides so that it is a little smaller than your tent footprint. They work, there is a reason people use them.
>>
>>878981
Also, your rain fly has to direct the water down onto the ground and not onto the sides of your tent. If the rain fly doesn't have deep enough coverage (as with a good four-season), the rain will run down onto the lower side of the tent and from there it will be conducted via surface tension UNDER the tent. If you're using a groundcloth of some sort, the water will accumulate between the tent and the groundcloth and all will be suck.
>>
>>878992
Like I said, footprints are for pretentious fags and they serve no purpose except to cause flooding
>>
>>878240
>http://www.lns.cornell.edu/~seb/philmont-drytent.html

A bunch of retards complaining about how they can't pitch a tent. A few people even posted how to solve the issue but everybody refused because they know everything and are faggots. Similar to >>879040

>but it'd on a .edu site they must be geniuses

Jesus Christ liberals aren't allowed here.
>>
>>876325
>not sealing the bottom of your tent yourself regardless of what waterproof "rating" it is
>not knowing where to pitch your tent
>not trenching your tent

If you're tent is getting flooded, it's going to flood regardless of a footprint or not. People who don't use footprints are the same type of fags that don't use sleeping pads. It's like you want your tent to deteriorate faster because you're gay. But I'd assume it doesn't matter when you only go hiking a few times a year and aren't really /out/.

Get better
>>
I have a 600 dollar tent from Zpacks, not letting the abrasive ground touch my 600 dollar cuben fiber palace. Groundsheets are for smart people.

>2016
>not having a 600 dollar tent
>>
>>879056

> A few people even posted how to solve the issue

Yeah by putting the ground cover inside their tent. Try again.
>>
>>879065
Do you have another pad to protect your groundsheet?
>>
File: 20161020_162129.jpg (1MB, 2314x1699px) Image search: [Google]
20161020_162129.jpg
1MB, 2314x1699px
really loving my Solong 6 by Lightheart Gear. Super light, you set it up with trekking poles, and the awning is a great feature. I will never buy a tent that doesn't have one.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.