[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/out/ hacks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 14

File: DIY-water-filter.jpg (67KB, 851x429px) Image search: [Google]
DIY-water-filter.jpg
67KB, 851x429px
If your compass breaks while /out/ and you need to find your direction, a snare wire and small magnet can be used to create a makeshift compass. Cut a piece of snare wire about three inches in length. Stroke one end of the wire--about one inch in length--with the magnet in a straight direction to concentrate the electrons on that end and magnetize the wire. Suspend the the wire from a thin piece of cordage and out of any elements which may affect it's direction like wind. The magnetized end of the snare wire will now point you in directional north. Test the accuracy of the wire by slightly adjusting the suspension and see if the wire will point back to north.

Post your /out/ hacks.
>>
>>875207
>Good thing I always have magnets in my EDC.

Said no one ever.
>>
>>875214

Magnets are in a lot of electronics that you may not even know of. Pop them open and take a look.
>>
>>875219
Oh no my GPS battery died! Lets rip it apart and create a nigger rigged compass so I can find my car again 1 mile back on the trail!
>>
File: IMG_0395.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px)
IMG_0395.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>875207
This is one I learned from here that hopefully everybody knows about.

For sharpening you're knoife, the bottom non-glazed rim of a ceramic coffee cup makes a good final step for sharpening. I bought a little Smith's diamond sharpener with a "Coarse" and "Fine" and the fine side probably only gets the edge 8/10 sharp. The coffee mug gets it to 9.5 and is ab easy alternative to going full knoife collector and dropping a bunch on Japanese bricks.
>>
File: IMG_9532.jpg (21KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9532.jpg
21KB, 300x300px
>>875842
Also obligatory post:
>sharpen your knife and start a fire at the same time!
>>
File: IMG_20160824_174647.jpg (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160824_174647.jpg
2MB, 2048x1536px
>>875843
> so tired of ypur redikuless shit
I use bread bag clips for clothesline pins on trips over 3 days.

Keeps my washing out of the dirt when the wind is up.
>>
File: pissbottle.jpg (39KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
pissbottle.jpg
39KB, 500x500px
Stuff one of these in a spare sock when hiking to camp. Save the empty for late night emergencies.
>>
>>875856
>save the empty to refill with a more piss.
>>
>>875870
lel
>>
>>875870
then chill it inna river so you can have a nice coors light with dinner each night
>>
>>875829

That's not how that works at all. You're a very angry little guy.
>>
File: IMG_0397.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0397.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Here's some of my fishing laziness. Probably not the best practice, but I like to pre-tie Texas rigs. Flourocarbon for the line (or just mono if you don't have flouro), surgeon's loop to attach to the snap swivel on the main line, and then tie a combination of hooks and weights. Much faster to swap soft baits and sizes if you have fishing lure ADHD like myself.

It's something to do on those stormy afternoons when I want to be fishing but don't want to get struck by lightning. Plus it a soft bait isn't working and is still in good condition, I can leave it on the hook and use it again at a later date when the water conditions are more favorable for that setup.

Even when using swivels or snaps, remember to re-tie them once in awhile since the knot will always be the weakest point in the line.

>>875856
But why the sock? Does it really need to be in a sock?

Kinda just being an ass but at the same time I'm curious if there is a reason.

>>875853
At least I gave one good tip.
>>
File: IMG_0398.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px)
IMG_0398.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>875880
A couple more fishing tips. This one was really useful:

Use small rubber bands to tie the hooks together on lures. It keeps them from getting tangled together. I have spent 10min trying to untangle Rapalas from eachother trying to get a specific one.

The rubber bands can be found at any drug store in the hair care section by the combs and scrunchies and shit. A bag of 300 is only a like $2.
>>
Why not use the sun?
>>
File: IMG_0400.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px)
IMG_0400.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>875884
And the last tip/hack I can think of right now:

Be careful storing soft plastic baits with other soft plastics and lures. Chemicals in some soft plastics can destroy (melt) other soft plastics and rubber and colors can leech into eachother.

Pic related. The grey and white soft minnow was stored with the firetiger Rapala. There was a rubber band holding the Rapala's hooks together (see above) and the minnow melted the rubberband over the past week. The liquid black rubber band coated the Rapala and soft minnow as well as the tackle box. Some soft plastics will destroy skirts on spinnerbaits and jigs too, so be careful storing them together and if you use a soft plastic as a trailer you may want to remove it before storage.

As for the colors leeching, the Super Flukes on the right of the pic, the bottom one used to be completely white before being stored next to the chartruese one. Now it is tinted yellow. I have a bag of silver PowerBait worns and threw a couple of green ones into the bag with the silver ones, and they are now all green.
>>
>>875885

Unless you know the angled degree of the sun based upon which season it is, it will throw your course off. It can give you a general idea of direction, but over long distances even a few degree in the margin of error can be the difference of dozens and dozens of miles.
>>
File: liquids.jpg (118KB, 867x617px) Image search: [Google]
liquids.jpg
118KB, 867x617px
>>875880
>why the sock?
insulation keeps it cool for a couple hours
>>
File: IMG_1422.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1422.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>875886
Just thought of one moar fishin hack.

If you use the flat Plano type boxes for storage but are having trouble fitting larger lures like spinnerbaits in your box, customize them! A really sharp razor blade will work but be careful. I like to use a Dremel with a tiny cutting wheel. Once the little dividers are back in, the compartments hold their shape well.
>>
>>875207
Or you know, use your analog watch and the sun to find north. Or just look at the terrain or 2 landmarks and your map. Or put a stick in the ground and track it's shadow. Or if it's dark, use the northstar.

Your macguyver shit is probably the least likely and least practical way you'd find north without a compass.
>>
File: Don't look at the log.jpg (237KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Don't look at the log.jpg
237KB, 1024x768px
>>875207
Fill 2-liter soda bottles half full of water. Put them in the freezer at an angle so that the water nearly touches the neck of the bottle. Freeze the water. When you go out and need to take water with you, fill the soda bottle all the way up with water. Insulated it inside your sleeping bag, blanket, or other such thing and it will stay ice cold nearly all day long.

>>875856
>>875895
I used an old winter wool sock for exactly that to keep drinks cool in the summer. You take a plastic container like an empty cottage cheese container and put the sock into it and fold over the excess on the outside. The really long wool socks are enough to fill the inside completely and cover the outside all the way down the side. Just about any glass, bottle, or can is able to fit snugly into the container. It works better than using those specially made drink coolers because it can accommodate many sizes and shapes.

Right now I'm using an old sun-bleached balaclava instead. Wool is best since condensation won't ruin its insulating effectiveness.
>>
>>875842
You can also make your own ceramic knife sharpeners very easily. Just get some white clay, make the sizes you want then fire them unglazed to at least cone 6 for porcelain. You can make tons of them in one batch and make them artsy for holiday gifts too.
>>
>>875842
Another great surface for that final edge is the top of a car window. Ground glass puts an even better finish on than a coffee mug, presumably because of imperfections in the ceramic's finish.
>>
>>875207
or u could look at the fucking sun.
>>
>>879437

That's not how that works, and it's already been explained why that doesn't work.
>>
>>875853
>He can't go out for 3 days without washing his clothes

You sound like a fag
>>
>>879452
the sun doesn't rise in the east and set in the west?

yea you aren't gonna hit a specific mark on your map. it isn't my govt issue compas with the sight. but you can damn sure tell which way is north from the sun and the stars.
>>
>>875207
Or, you know, bring a spare compass.
>>
>>879482
no. you don't need a compass at all. but if you bring one, just bring an army issue tritium.

"wow, I wonder how to get to that giant mountain we can clearly see. better check the compass."
>>
File: fog.jpg (118KB, 1707x1280px) Image search: [Google]
fog.jpg
118KB, 1707x1280px
>>880307
>>
>>879475
>the sun doesn't rise in the east and set in the west?
Only when it's an equinox. On the solstices it can be off by a hell of a lot.

> from the sun and the stars.
How do you bring those with you on a cloudy day?
>>
http://www.wikihow.com/Use-an-Analog-Watch-as-a-Compass
>>
>>880331
>Only when it's an equinox. On the solstices it can be off by a hell of a lot.
It's not hard to figure out - the Earth tilts 23-degrees, so the sun's path across the sky moves 23-degrees every 6 months. Then it moves back over the next 6 months. You just need to know not where, but WHEN you are - in relation to the previous solstice. If you know that you have a pretty good idea where north is at any given time of year.

>>880331
>How do you bring those with you on a cloudy day?
If it's raining significantly you're likely not traveling, and if you are traveling in inclement weather during a survival scenario you're taking a BIG risk. If it's just light rain or overcast you can usually see the sun through the clouds.
>>
File: IMG_0534.jpg (71KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0534.jpg
71KB, 640x1136px
>>879482
Who needs a compass?
>>
>>880535
Does that even work when you have no service?
>>
>>880625
I actually think it does. I turned it to "Airplane Mode" when I took that pic so no cell service and it still worked. Only thing that changed was it didn't show the city name but still had the coordinates.

That's why people still use phones as a GPS innawoods but you need an app that allows you to download the maps before you lose cell reception.
>>
File: i-RSGW3Jc-L.jpg (139KB, 799x600px)
i-RSGW3Jc-L.jpg
139KB, 799x600px
>>880535
My biggest issue with electronic compasses is the need to calibrate them regularly.
Most of the time it's as simple as doing a couple circles (truck's needed 2 circles, do it in a parking lot or something) periodically. My phone has a figure-8 process to recal the direction.

GPS track is still more accurate than an electronic sensor. Start moving, get a couple track points, and derive a heading from that.

>>880625
Yes, that sensor is completely independent of the network.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.