[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

first aid kit for /out/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6

File: 51CECPtQs+L__SY355_.jpg (26KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
51CECPtQs+L__SY355_.jpg
26KB, 355x355px
post yours or tips
>>
>tylenol/ibuprofen
>ace bandage
>1" fabric tape
>half dozen bandaids
that's been plenty for my multiday backcountry climbing trips. anything less serious i don't need and anything more serious i can improvise and i'd need a helicopter anyways.

inb4 all the antibiotic/narcotic/field surgery retards show up
>>
>bandaids
>disinfection wipes
>bandages
>condoms
>shitload of stolen bandages and emergency blankets from my military service

Protip: Lining a tent floor with an emergency blanket ensures 80% less heat loss to the ground.
>>
Aleve
Benadryl
Vetwrap
Band aids

I know I need more stuff but this is what I got right now.
>>
>>874798
Would recommend adding antihistamine and anti diarrheal medicine. Multiple days out is a bad time to find out you get hives and a swollen throat from a bee sting or some shit, and nobody wants to shit themselves to death when it is easily preventable. Otherwise I agree you don't really need much
>>
Duct tape, super glue, booze that doubles as disinfectant, and two or three bandaid.
>>
>>874819
>antihistamine
i don't have any allergies
>antidiarrheal
i filter my water

but i'm not going to begrudge other people for liking to carry them. i just don't have the need.

it's mostly the
>hurrdurr you should carry nitroglycerin in case you see someone having a heart attack, even though you have no training with it
people here who irritate me.
>>
Okay so lets take this another way, instead of an abstract list can I ask my fellow anons what injuries they're aiming to deal with with their FAKs?

>abrasions
>minor cuts
>deep cuts
>burns
>splinters
>insect bites
>sunburn
>swelling/inflammation
>headaches
>stomach issues (heartburn/diarrhea/constipation)
>puncture/trauma wounds?

I think that's about the extent I need for a few days inna
>>
>>874830
>broken ankle
or sprained, or other lower extremity bone or joint. but packing a splint is impractical. better to learn how to wing one.

arm would be bad too, but significantly less catastrophic since you could still walk (even if you have to leave your pack). triangle sling wouldn't be too annoying to pack, if you're that paranoid, but not too hard to rig one out of a shirt or bandanna.
>>
>>874828
Yeah I know what you mean. I just take like 4 tabs of each in my kit and it adds basically nothing to the weight. I dont really have known allergies or reason to be shitting myself either but sometimes surprises happen. One time I got bit or stung by something on a day hike and had a mildly concerning general allergic reaction to it so I started bringing Benadryl. Prepping for every absurd scenario is weird tho.
>>
>>874841
>it adds basically nothing to the weight.
it's not even the weight i care about, like i said i'm humping heavy ass climbing shit in. i just like less fiddly shit to sort through.

on the flip side when we're backpacking my wife brings a pharmacy (she's a nurse) and last time we actually needed it as one of the people in our group got debilitatingly ill the last night, 12 miles from the car. and her whole kit probably weighs in at less than 2 ounces. but in spite of that i'm still a selfish cocksucker and don't like to carry extra stuff in case someone else needs it.
>>
>>874799
Did you make up the 80% or did you find that number somewhere. Honest question
>>
>>874897
Yikes - what did she end up using from her kit? Like you said a big part of having the pills for me is other's. Another time I was car camping at some campgrounds a couple hours from a pharmacy and some guy a few sites over got stung by a bee and was having issues - I saved his unprepared ass with Benadryl
>>
>>874902
Rescue blankets do indeed reflect 80% of body heat back.
>>
>>874903
zofran, immodium, and motrin. it was enough to hold down the n/v/d to get them home. she really wished she had an iv setup, but even she's not altruistic (/obsessively overprepared) enough to carry a liter of saline, plus the rest of the kit.
>>
>>874821

You should replace the booze, seeing as alcohol cannot kill bacteria spores that get on you.
>>
>>874902
He made it up. They reflect body heat but you have to keep in mind the ground is cold and the blanket is in contact with the ground. It provides virtually no insulation from the ground.
>>
Let's say I fuck up swinging my axe, or it slips out of my grip or something and trauma's my leg & I start bleeding pretty fucking badly.

What would I need to prepare for something like that?
>>
>>875104
direct pressure, elevate.

i'd ball up my shirt and hold it against it as hard as i could until bleeding slowed, then wrap it in place with an ace bandage.

i'm sure someone's going to come in and say quickclot, but that's overkill for the odds that you're going to need it, imo.
>>
File: EDC-1.jpg (248KB, 660x991px) Image search: [Google]
EDC-1.jpg
248KB, 660x991px
Medicine has been brought up in this thread and I would like to focus that thought on the EDC front and get some feedback. Pain killing, inflammation and fever reduction all seem addressable with a combination of ibuprofen and acetaminophen. Allergies and nausea can be handled with diphenhydramine which leaves diarrhea to be addressed with loperamide. While keeping in mind that this is an edc tier setup the only weaknesses I can see are that no opioid painkiller is present for extreme situations like broken leg etc and no antibiotic for infection. What does /out/ think of the importance of the last two options?
>>
>>875158
>What does /out/ think of the importance of the last two options?
not important to carry. antibiotics won't be needed emergently, and if you need narcotics you're probably not self extracting anyways.
>>
>>875160
Valid points indeed. What thought of a needle and thread combo? I saw a video where a pen tube was used to store them on a keychain. I have made them and they work but had cut it out of my keychain when I was streamlining. Not too much added space for the ability to sew somebody up in an emergency though.
>>
>>874765
my tips I guess:
-gauze and hockey tape can make much more versatile bandages that suit any situation and stick better
-iodine disinfects wounds and also can disinfect water. great 2 in 1.

for the iodine water purification use no more than 3 weeks in a season. 10 drops per liter/quart and let sit for 30 mins if at a moderate temperature and increase to over an hour for cold water.
>>
>>875160
>>875158
For antibiotics, I would say a small tube of antibiotic cream would be the best bet. You aren't going to find much use for oral antibiotics but if you cut yourself on something nasty you would use it for sure even if you might be fine not using it
>>
>>875168
see >>875135
if you aren't trained to stitch someone don't do it. if you're really concerned about a straight, clean cut throw some good butterfly bandages in your kit.
>>
>>875197
I have thought about ointments but am unsure where to build them into my available space. I have seen little single use diy straw tube packets that might fit in a pill container but that much ointment would only handle a small scrape and at that point what is the point? I should have made mention that I am looking at keychain sized solutions.

>>875199
Roger that. If it can't be handled with duct tape I would probably only make things worse with an attempted stitch job. Sensible thoughts indeed.
>>
>>875206
How about filling a glass dram jar and carrying a couple q tips
>>
>>875232
I mean like fits on a keychain. My edc tries to be true minimal real use edc that is 100% always with me down to the last piece.

My cell phone has flashlight capabilities and has my wallet built in. I carry a handkerchief and my keychain holds down the rest. Leatherman PS/SP combo has a blade, screwdriver (flat and phillips), tweezers, pliers, and wire cutters. Mini Bic wrapped in duct tape for fire and first aid. Paracord fob for cordage and soon pill capsule for medecines. I almost don't want to add the pill capsule but I have days at work where my back gets bad and when I run out of my regular stash of ibuprofen it wouldn't hurt to have a backup.
>>
>>875269
It would be nice if I could find a Keychain flashlight that could also hold four pills but I haven't been able to find one. I have thought of making one but we shall see. The light isn't really needed with the cell phone around but redundancy is nice.
>>
>>875158
Paracetamol/acetaminophen can provide pain relief comparable to opioids. You don't need narcotics.

>>875160 is right about antiobiotics, you don't need them emergently. Irrigate the wound and cover it to limit infection. See a doc if you want antibiotics.
>>
>>875104
Dressings and a bandage. I can fit two small 10x10cm combine dressings and a bandage (and everything else) in my FAK (smaller than 7x4x3inch).

Place the dressing over the wound and apply direct pressure. If possible, you can elevate the limb to help slow bleeding like >>875135 said. Place more dressings over the wound if you need, but never remove them. Apply pressure until the bleeding stops and then secure the dressings with the bandage.

I agree with the other anon, that quikclot is really overkill. Bleeding can be controlled in the overwhelming majority of cases through direct and indirect pressure and elevation.
>>
>>875232
waterproof match case for qtips

does anyone have any advice for innawoods sutures? i was thinking veterinary supply might be the easiest way to get what i want to put in my bag
>>
>>875424
If you need to ask, you're probably not trained. So my advice is don't. Just use steristrips, tape or bandages to keep the wound closed until you get it thoroughly cleaned and closed by a professional.
>>
>>875437
seconded for steri strips, my friend who works emergency room trauma recommended them to me
>>
I keep a loaded .44 in my med kit in case I need to put myself down. Also a small flask of liquid courage to get the job done.
>>
>>874952
it can if it's fucking everclear lol
>>
File: 1467431717008.gif (866KB, 245x245px) Image search: [Google]
1467431717008.gif
866KB, 245x245px
>>875450
so real
>>
>>874821
>>876554

You shouldn't be pouring alcohol into a wound anyway. Iodine would be a better antiseptic, but even then it should only be for when the wound is massively dirty. The best thing to do is irrigate it with saline, or clean water (not from a bottle you or someone else has been drinking from either).
>>
>>874828
>antihistamine
>i don't have any allergies

some snakes and insect toxin can be treated by it. it can save your time for going to hospital
>>
>>875405
>Paracetamol/acetaminophen can provide pain relief comparable to opioids
A few shots of whiskey do the trick, too.
>>
>ace wrap
>bandaids
>neosporin
>aspirin and ibuprofen
>a handful of nitrile gloves
>some sterile gauze
>paper tape
>alcohol preps
>cortisone

good for
>cuts/scrapes
>punctures
>bites/irritations
>stuff stuck under skin

splinters and thorns are covered by my multitool, I got tiny tweezers.

the gloves are in case of having to touch someone else's blood, only time I used them was when gutting a fish one time.
>>
>>874905
Radiation heat loss is minor compared to conduction, convection and evaporation. Reflective mylar reflects radiated heat and also reduces evaporation. You still need isolation from the ground (conduction) and the air (convection).
>>
>>877499

>gloves when gutting a fish

You keep em tucked away next to your tampons to, princess?
>>
File: IMG_20161017_232747939.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161017_232747939.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>874765
not pictured
>cyclobenzaprene
>comfrey diluted in olive oil
>prescription anti inflamatories
>sports tape underwrap
>lighter

pictured
>vicks vapor scrub
>canvas sports tape
>iodine singles
>neosporine singles
>qtip singles
>krazy glue
>imodium
>sterile guaze pads and wraps
>leatherman
>muh booboobandaids

honestly, if you can't fix it with sports tape and super glue, RIP

muscle relaxers>painkillers, will stop acute spasms and allow your muscularskeletal functions to continue, plus cyclobenzaprene has some dope side effects that you will appreciate while you're busted as shit and hiking out
>>
>>878056
If it needs to be glued, it needs to be cleaned. Please don't glue a wound together without cleaning it properly. You need to irrigate the wound. Iodine /can/ be used to clean it, but it delays healing and can have some other unwanted affects when used in a wound, so it shouldn't be your first choice.

Personally, I don't think anyone should worry about wound closure when /out/. It really can wait to be done properly by a professional. Or at least until you're home, in a cleaner environment.
>>
>>878056

What in gods name would you need cyclobenzaprine for?

Aren't they generic Flexeril muscle relaxers? Don't see where that could be useful while /out/
>>
>>878190
I really just use the iodine for the tip of a blade
wound closure is usually sports tape sticky side away from skin, and superglue to hold tape in place, using superglue on bare skin is a rare event and usually a non emergency, like a minor hand wound. seriously, super gluing the edges of the tape so it wont peel is super helpful

>>878211
L4 L5 chronic issue, been in a few bad crashes, sometimes my neck locks up or the shit tier rib damage flairs up my chest wall and I can't breath. you're probably right but I have a standing script, also they make good trade currency with locals.
>>
>>877509
Tampons are good for bullet wounds.
>>
>>878395
bullshit they are, they aren't even sterile, let alone anywhere near the side of the cavity created.
>>
Tea tree oil.

From burns to ear infections to mouthwash, it's wide variety of uses is helpful in one little bottle.
>>
>>875135
>elevate

Even though it doesn't hurt, it's nothing but a meme. If you have to go out of your way or inconvenience yourself to elevate an extremity, don't.
>>
>>878395
Not if you have internal bleeding, which is the overwhelming majority of the time.
>>
>>878497
>which is the overwhelming majority of the time.
Sauce?
>>
I've got a slightly different layout. I take care of a few properties, from about 100 acres up to helping out on a 2000 acre farm, but mostly just do the properties. Since I drive there I have a lot of material with me. I have bandages for normal wounds, as well as compression bandages for snake bites (if I can even react and get help in time), cleaning agents, a tourniquet I have been trained and taught to use in case I fuck up or whoever I'm with fucks up and shoots me, and other shit.
One thing I do have which people find weird is wax strips. On one property is a plant called Gympie Gympie, which when you brish past it leaves hundreds or thousands of tiny silicon needles in you fucking you up with toxins for life. I lightly brushed past it once with a long sleeve shirt on and it was insane, I am lucky I had the wax strips close by to get them out. I still get pain sometimes.

>>878395
Nope. They are made to suck and soak up blood, not promote clotting. GL with your death.
>>
> tips

Don't carry one, you won't ever need it.

And if you do, you will need one the size of carry on luggage to be of any real use.

And to use all THAT SHIT you'd need training anyway.

Just use a bandana, which you should have anyxay.
>>
>>878565
> silicon

Yeah right.
>>
>>878588
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dendrocnide_moroides
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_dioxide

I forgot people here don't know shit and should have added references.
Here you go.
>>
>>878593
> wiki

You trust that open source, citation needed, commie disinformation site?

Retard.
>>
>>878599
this is your daily reminder that you are a soldier in the info war
>>
>>878584
My FAK is less than 7x5x3 inch. In that I carry a bandage, two small combine dressings, a triangular bandage, wound cleaning items, multiple minor wound dressings, some adhesive wound closures, tape and some OTC drugs.

I can easily manage the overwhelming majority of possible injuries with this kit, and it's tiny.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.