[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I came across a few fly rods after my grandad passed. Only

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 14

File: IMG_8126.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8126.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
So I came across a few fly rods after my grandad passed. Only thing is it doesn't state the weight of the rod. Any way I can find out the weight so I know what reel and line I can put on? Also general fly fishing thread
>>
try the fishing general OP

does sage still work?

friendly sage
>>
>>874715
You can usually tell fly rod weight's by feel and thickness if not labeled otherwise

>This is not my guide to determine Rod Weight but it has worked for me. I also had existing fly line that I measured which made it easier

Materials Needed to Calculate Fly Rod Weight

measuring tape
clamp
paper clip
metal washers
accurate scale

Determining the Weight of a Fly Rod
1. Measure the entire rod, minus the grip, in inches. In other words, measure from the very top of the grip (not the butt end, but the other end) to the skinny end of the rod. Mark down the measurement and then divide by 10. For a rod measuring 90 inches from grip to tip, that would give a final number of 9. This represents 10% of the rod length, excluding grip.

2. Clamp the rod tightly to a table, putting the clamp on the cork grip and letting the rest of the rod extend out over the edge of the table. No part of the rod except the cork grip should touch the table.

3. Measure the distance between the very tip of the rod and the floor. Now subtract from that the figure derived in Step 1. Continuing with this example, if the rod tip is exactly 36 inches above the floor, subtracting 9 gives a new number of 25 inches.

4. Pry a paper clip partially open and hang it from the tip of the rod, then begin hanging washers on the paper clip until the rod tip bends down to the mark calculated in Step 3. For the rod in this example, one would add weight until the tip was exactly 25 inches from the floor.

5. Remove the paper clip from the rod and measure the weight of the the paper clip and all of the washers used in bending the rod. This weight must be in grams. Accurate scales can usually be found at grocery or hardware stores and post offices.

6. Divide the weight by the number from Step 1. If the paper clip and washers in our example weighed 30 grams, one would divide that by 9 to get roughly 3.3 grams per inch. This is called the stiffness ratio.
>>
>>874715

7. Find the stiffness ratio and its corresponding line weight in the following chart, and you now know the weight of the rod. In the example used, the rod turns out to be an 8 weight and should be used with 8 weight line.

Stiffness Ratio: (grams/inch) .............Recommended Line Weight (Rod Weight)

1.4 - 1.6 = 3

1.6 - 1.9 = 4

1.0 - 2.2 = 5

2.2 - 2.6 = 6

2.6 - 3.0 = 7

3.0 - 3.5 = 8

3.5 - 4.15 = 9

4.15 – 5.0 = 10

5.0 - 5.9 = 11

While this method requires a little bit of work and some mathematics, it provides a simple way to pinpoint the exact weight of a fly rod. Armed with that information, a fly angler can then make an informed decision when purchasing a matching line.
>>
You got there a silaflex perfexion glass rod from 60's. It used old line measures - in your case nylon hch means it had approx nowadays 6/7# double tapered line. I would go 6# wf floating and give it a try since its glass. It cost around 40$ back then but it sure is more valuable now.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-10-14-01-05-09.png (123KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-10-14-01-05-09.png
123KB, 1080x1920px
Added a pic too
>>
>>874817
Sage rods suck
>>
File: 3634ee2.jpg (147KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
3634ee2.jpg
147KB, 500x333px
Op doesnt even comes in to say ty after i explain every fucking thing about his rod.... Fu op!
>>
OP here. Sorry I work 18 hour shifts. I've read everything and will try to see if I can tell the weight. It's a vintage rod so all I want to do is build it like they did back in the 50s
>>
>>874986
Is it something I should hold on to and let increase in value? It's in prefect condition other than a guide is a little warped but it's an easy fix.
>>
File: IMG_8168.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8168.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>874986
I also have this one. It says "Heddon pal standard #130 7' L "
>>
Op just give them to me please. I explained that you need a line from 60's otherwise its a no go
>>
>>875679
Still captain here... That rod is from 50's worth around 100$ but im sure you can get more if mint condition
>>
>>875679
Btw if its general have some pics too
>>
>>875688
Fuck off. They were my grandads
>>
File: IMG_8160.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8160.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>875694
Nice catch! This is my set up now. Just a cabelas pre built rod. There's an orvis Clearwater I think that's it's called that that I want to upgrade to. 10' 8wt saltwater rod since I live south texas
>>
>>875678
You can try, but it is going to take awhile for the stuff to be worth good money unless it is really high end and special.

Just look at 30+ year old lures on eBay. They often go for less than the new ones. Nobody ever throws away fishing stuff and it gets passed down so tons of people have Grandpa's tackle box in the attic and they aren't getting shit for the stuff when they go to sell it.

Who knows though. Fly fisherman can be a special type of retarded and if you have some hand made rods by somebody famous, they could be worth a few bucks to the right collector.
>>
>>875810
Thanks for the info man. I'll keep my eye out for classic reels. But the Line you mentioned I can't find anywhere. Any links?
>>
>>875688
What is your malfunction.
>>
>>875660
>Op doesnt even comes in to say ty after i explain every fucking thing about his rod.... Fu op!

You did not post this
>>874842
>>874843

You posted the equivalent of chicken scratch with a keyboard. All that you said of value is 6/7wt and 'Silaflex perfexion glass rod'. It would be so terrible on such a busy board that someone does not respond exactly within 24 hours praising you.

Grow up
>>
>>875989
You loaf of bread even own a fly rod? The dude got those rods from his granpa he aint gotta clue about stuff so post more x2-5y(3+4z) stuff
>>
>>876073
>Inherited fly rods
>Unable to do basic math because of this

I do not understand how you correlate the two but it is probably for the best that I cannot understand stupid.

>aint gotta clue about stuff
OP inherits something he needs more information about but that makes him an invalid according to this poster who has no idea who this person is. Thank you for that laugh
>>
>>876238
Lol welcome to 4chan. Probably a /b/do on his spare time. Thank you for your info though anon.
>>
>>876308
Not a problem, you have a nice rod there.

>If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
>>
>>875679
I've got an old Heddon Pal 8wt. Fiberglass and I think 8ft. It's a rocket launcher. If there's no wind, I love throwing pike flies on that thing.
I'm sure that calculation method works but the easier answer is to take them to a fly shop and ask to cast some lines. I dunno how much help a Cabela's or other big box store would be, but any independent fly shop probably has lines of all sizes spooled up somewhere that they'd be happy to let you try if it results in you buying one of them.
Also, with graphite, if you figure out the factory designated weight, they almost universally cast better when overlined at least a full weight. The truth is, standards have changed over the years and not everyone adheres to AFTMA, and those are even pretty loose.
>>
>>875745
You should check out TFO rods and Lamson Waterworks reels if you want better than Cabelas and Orvis. Likely a better price than Orvis depending on your outfit.

Orvis has a label as the meme brand because most if not everything is overpriced and aimed for the uninformed weekend fishermen who do not mind spending more than necessary for lesser quality than what half of the cost could provide

Poorfags hate it but Sage fly rods are top quality. If you find TFO+Lamson outfit is too cheap price wise, feel free to check out Sage outfits. I would highly recommend the Method Elite outfit (I had 25% discount on the outfit), but I would also recommend waiting for a good discount/coupon for said outfit

I found the outfit with a coupon code on one of their dealer websites not Sage's website, I cannot recall which site but there were only a few at the time that I found with that specific outfit

Rio fly line would be my recommendation for quality fly line. I have 4 Rio fly lines and a 9wt SA Sharkskin but I'll be damned if the Sharkskin does not rip the skin off my hands while retrieving (other than that it is superb)
>>
>>876387
Thank you, and thank you for all the info. I'm pretty new to fly fishing. I come from bow fishing but I've always wanted to try it. I've only put maybe 8-9 hours into fly fishing. The casting is weird as hell, something I'm nowhere near used to
>>
>>876389
The only thing I have here is a cabelas. I did take it in there and they couldn't tell me so I came in here. I told them I wanted to start out and of course they offered me one of theirs of course. There's a bait shop back home where I'm going to try to make it up one day and get everything matched up
>>
>>876394
I honestly have been looking into bamboo rods, they have that classic look that I love but my wallet can't afford an 800$ rod at the moment. I always thought orvis was hot shit because everyone has one. I ordered a few books on fly fishing so give me some knowledge on the sport. I just wished I lived somewhere like Montana or Wyoming to fish at
>>
Also, anyone can answer this, but can you tell me what fast action and ultra fast and medium mean? Is that the bend in the rod?
>>
>>875021
No. They do not.
>>
>>876671
Action speed refers to the section of the rod that flexes. Fast action rods flex at the tip. Midflex in the middle. Midflex rods are more forgiving, and favor a slow stroke. Mid is best for beginner or novice.
Fast action favors short stroke and faster loads. More challenging to use, but good for wind and accuracy. Everybody was ts fast action, but it doesn't suit all needs. Try both before you buy.
I prefer mid action for stream trout, and fast action for river bruisers and salt water.
>>
File: reels.jpg (2MB, 4608x2592px) Image search: [Google]
reels.jpg
2MB, 4608x2592px
>>876670
>I just wished I lived somewhere like Montana or Wyoming to fish at
Lol, don't we all want to live in the fly fisherman holyland

I would love to live in either state for their fishing mainly, but if I were to move NW I would go move to Alaska so I can get in on those Salmon runs and fishing glacial waters

Orvis is definitely meme and I have recommend multiple times in the past to /out/ that beginners can learn a LOT from Orvis' fly fishing 101 videos. If I had only 1 positive thing to say about Orvis it would be for their videos and none of their actual products/services

http://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/video-lessons/chapter-one-the-basics-of-fly-fishing

Sage is not the ONLY high quality rod/reel manufacturer, but it IS the only one I feel comfortable recommending as long as budget allows

If budget does not allow for Sage outfit, I stand behind TFO rods with Lamson Waterworks reels. I only buy fly fishing reels/rods with lifetime warranty at no additional cost. If the manufacturer is that confident in their product or even back it that much, it offers a peace of mind when you damage either rod or reel

Orvis is like Surly/Rivendell of fly fishing, overpriced, marketed for the uninformed buyers, offer shit warranty when both industries (cycling and fly fishing) call for lifetime warranty on bike frames/fly rods/fly reels; these garbage companies offer 1-5 year warranties. I could understand if lifetime warranty is not an industry standard for bike frames (non carbon), fly reels, and fly rods

Very unethical if you ask me, but what does my opinion matter for that; people are still buying those bikes and Orivs gear and happy with their nonexistant warranty when their rod breaks on the 4th cast but happens to be out of their 3 year warranty because Orvis fishermen often use their gear once a year and tell you about their high quality Orvis gear once a week

>>876682
Good information!
>>
File: IMG_2482.jpg (41KB, 411x216px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2482.jpg
41KB, 411x216px
>>876671
Never heard of midflex like anon said, but I don't fly fish. This image shows what the action and weight normally means. Different actions work well for different baits and presentations. Fast is good when you want a lot of sensitivity and medium can give baits a more natural and less erratic presentation (probably not the best explanation). You can tell the difference when you use them and will figure out your preferences.
>>
>>876939
I forgot to mention that minor modifications to rod/reel will void warranties or if Orvis decides they do not want to honor your broken rod warranty because it was clearly user fault

I have had to send my TFO rods to get repaired, 1 broke because a beadhead hit the mid section of my rod during cast and after a few more windy saltwater casts it snapped right on the ferrule (9wt). The other time I am not sure how but mid cast it snapped (6wt), I assume all the getting caught in trees and pulling at an angle putting the stress on the rod flex instead of fly line finally caught up with it

Now I take better care of rods and do not hit with the fly or when it is stuck I do not pull on the rod; rather I aim the rod directly at the fly, pointing the top guide right at the fly so the rod is as straight as can be. Then you grab the fly line and tug on that since it can usually (if not always) handle more force and the stretching provides a bounce that gets the fly out of the trees a LOT easier than whipping the rod until its out

Both times I sent the rods back, TFO asked no question and shipped each rod back after 2-3 business days at their repair department. Maybe 2 weeks total if you include transit time from my location to TFO and back (TFO is in Texas pretty central location for everyone)

I have also heard many of times that people lose a section in the water and TFO does not charge any additional to provide a replacement section custom fit for your rod so that you do not have 3/4 pieces of a rod and no use

If it were not for my Sage rod performing better (in my opinion) than my TFO rods, I would only recommend TFO based on their perfect customer service

I have not had to send reels back to Lamson Waterworks for any issue but I also baby the reels as I do rods (aside from the early days when those 2 broke)

Always clean your fly line, reel, and rod after fishing freshwater but most important is after saltwater, lube the reel after months/year of use
>>
>>876946
You say clean your line after use...just rinse it off? Or is there something special I need to put on it. Also greasing my reel. Just take it apart and great the insides?
>>
>>877212
For the reel, once again I don't know shit about fly fishing but there are some things you want to grease and others you want to oil. Bearings and stuff get oil while gears get grease.
>>
>>877282
This is the same for all reels in my understanding

>>877212
For my reels I just rinse thoroughly especially if saltwater, if grungy water or saltwater I will use Penn Rod&Reel cleaner as well as water

If it feels like it could use some lube, I have been using a synthetic fishing reel oil; I think Abu Garcia brand

I baby the fly line though so I make sure I unwind the reel up to backing and make sure clean water hits all throughout
>>
So I came across these guys this morning after I got off work. They're extremely expensive, but I've read nothing but good reviews about them. Link is below

http://lelandfly.com/product-category/rods/leland-rod-company/saltwater-flats/
>>
>>878311
>http://lelandfly.com/product-category/rods/leland-rod-company/saltwater-flats/

Their rods do not look anything impressive for the price, they are rebranded Loop rods and reels (can spot Loop manufacturer on reels if you look at the close up pictures). Also if you look at the ferrule connection it looks like they have a gimmicky design that I have not seen on any other fly rod ever

The most important question anyone should ask why buying a fly rod of any price (and reel if possible); does it come with a lifetime warranty or some shitty Orvis warranty?

Leland comes with lifetime warranty, I have included my live chat session below. $50 then $10 so $60 to replace a broken part of your fly rod (and you do not need to ship your rod to them, they just grab another cookie cutter section and ship to you). TFO charges $25 and will custom fit the sections to your rod as well as touch up any ferrules and inspect the rest of your rod; only $25 and they do above and beyond

I am not sure what Sage charges but I imagine something at or under $50 and you have to ship the rod to them as well so they can properly fit the broken section
>Livechat below
Hi, we're here to answer any questions

→What is the warranty on Leland Fly rods and outfits?

Keith Westra: If you break a section there is a $50 fee plus $10 shipping to replace the part.

→Lifetime warranty?

Keith Westra: We also do not require you to send back the rod.

Keith Westra: Yes.

→Thank you
>>
>>878412
Unless Leland offered 70%-90% off on their lineup, I would not think twice about ordering one of their fly rods, at that price I would purchase Sage all day every day.....or buy 3-5 TFO rods for less than the price of 1 Leland rod
>>
File: IMG_20161018_153144.jpg (121KB, 1150x706px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161018_153144.jpg
121KB, 1150x706px
>>876946
Fly bro. I have a Wright an McGill rod. Im not sure if its a flyrod or not. Its flexy as all hell it says like °7 and something I can't read. It has no action on it. And i have planned on refinishing it. Its a fiberglass rod and the outter coating is just like flakey kinda like how cured old shellac gets. Ive narrowed it down to being around the late 50s. Its got all the original eyes but someone had rewrapped a few eyes before me. Anyway the rod is shot as far as collection goes and ive spent time on getting the cork handle (was actually stacked cork so I know it wasn't anything great) removed because it was all eaten up by god knows what, probably roaches. And removing the eyes so I can rewrap everything and refinish the rod.

Two questions... Wtf do I refinish it with? And is it a fly rod? Here's the handle part..
>>
>>878427
I am not 100% sure but that is likely a spin rod handle; most if not all fly handles are the bottom of the rod and spin handles usually are in that section

Reel mounts above grip in spin fishing, Reel mounts below grip in fly fishing; I am sure that this does not hold true to every fly rod ever made but for the majority this is true

I would contact this company and ask some question about finishing/refinishing a rod (I imagine the coasting is the same for spin rod)

They have been pretty good with customer service a few years ago and I hope they still are

http://www.flyrodbuildingkits.com/
>>
>>878460
I meant to include that most rod building is done with blanks and those blanks are already coated most of the time and only need the epoxy to add the eyes

That looks like it can be a fun project rod, fly or spin fishing it has it's own history which most of the time is priceless

Good luck and ask any questions you have!
>>
>>878427
Lol. I guess its a rod meant for catching minnows... This thing is so flexy/whippy.

Anyways I figured it was probably a spinner. Just wanted to make sure. I'm going to buy some of that flex coat. As thats what I read. Anything that doesn't crack or flake after a year is good for me. I plan on using it as a blue gill/dink rod. Anything over 3lb looks like it would break the rod.... Lol
>>
>>878466
That sounds ideal, blue gill/panfish can be fun to catch on an ultralight setup and if you can keep them they make a great fish fry
>>
I'm trynna get into the flyfishing game, brother-in-law recommends a Redington combo outfit...anyone got any experience with em?
>>
>>878498
Give a price range and I can help

Honestly Redington can be Walmart tier to decent depending on budget; but not really high quality as much as economic sometimes

My favorite recommendation is for a TFO rod and Lamson Waterworks reel if your budget is near $400-$500

If you want to spend more which is hard to advise someone just getting started, you can look at Sage outfits for a good rod/reel; most of their outfits if not all come with Rio Gold fly line I believe, great quality line

The above brands all include lifetime warranty for rod/reel, even TFO below includes lifetime warranty on that rod; TFO is possibly the best fly rod manufacturer for their price range ESPECIALLY because of their amazing customer service

If your budget is around $200, I would recommend a TFO fly rod with any non-plastic reel, a weight forward fly line and either a tapered leader (5x size probably) or make your own out of regular fishing line

You should be able to get everything at Bass Pro for $170~ rod/reel/backing/fly line/leader/quality rod sock with divider included

http://www.basspro.com/TFO-Signature-II-Series-Rod-and-Hobbs-Creek-Reel-Complete-Fly-Outfits/product/12092605220111/

The link above is what I am recommending but I do not see a 4 piece option which is far more ideal than 2 piece for traveling and storage; I would recommend a 4 piece 6 weight rod/reel/line setup to any beginner

6 weight is perfect for medium sized trout and under as well as handles bass well as all panfish; there is enough rod for a backbone but not too much so there are still decent fights

If it was not clear already, warranty warranty warranty. I believe Redington offers a standard 1/3/5 year warranty with their cheaper lineup and possibly lifetime with their higher end; it would be worth it to know how much it costs to send it in and if they honor all damaged rods or require certain conditions before honoring warranty repair
>>
How do I learn to fly fish? Serious question, I also have inherited a fly rod from my grandfather and I want to catch salmon. I go trouting in the woods behind my house but it's really just an excuse to go sit by the lake and drink a few beers, I would like to become an actual salmon angler.
>>
File: IMG_0488.jpg (457KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0488.jpg
457KB, 1200x1600px
>>878626
If anybody wants to write a guide for this, seriously email it to me so I can post it in the Pastebin on the fishin thread
>>
>>878533
>make your own out of fishing line
Question about that. I've heard from a lot of old timers they use mono, but when I go to say bass pro or cabelas they tell me otherwise. Is it just so they can make an extra buck or is there a difference between the two
>>
OP here. I've done some research and I think this will be my new outfit
Reel :http://m.vailvalleyanglers.com/p/waterworks-lamson-guru-ii-reels?avad=47611_ac82698f&utm_source=affiliate&utm_medium=cl-NA&utm_campaign=avantlink-35567

Rod:http://www.cabelas.com/product/TFO-MANGROVE/2186460.uts?productVariantId=4425313&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=04322665&rid=20&gclid=CjwKEAjwkJfABRDnhbPlx6WI4ncSJADMQqxduT5VOZuty5ZjJFUj_WB4Z05I861S8EE6eavaLPwYsxoC843w_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'm going to get it in an 8wt so I can use it down south on vacation. If I'm wrong about using it on saltwater please tell me because that's the main reason for upgrading from my current rod
>>
>>878730
Smarter imo to use a tapered leader that you buy. They're not that expensive and the fewer number of knots you have the better (knots are always weaker than the line itself, and are a place to collect vegetation).
>>
>>878730
You can definitely make your own leaders and tippet, the main difference is tapered leader vs balanced leader

You pay $ for tapered line, if you do not want to spend the extra $ you can easily use regular line

The fish do not care if it is tapered or not, it may help presentation but ultimately is not the deal breaker

That being said, I buy my leaders tapered and ALWAYS use tippet with tippet rings. By always using tippet, I do not decrease my leader length; this is also not a secret tip it is actually a common suggestion to all fly fishermen

>>878735
>Braid- and saltwater-safe Tactical Guides
The rod looks good for saltwater and I personally know that reel will do perfectly fine with saltwater

Definitely make sure to thoroughly rinse the reel and fly line as well as rinse the rod off with fresh water then towel dry before storing into sock/rod tube

Looks like a solid outfit OP, you will need to pick out fly line and backing as well as placing the backing and fly line onto said reel

If you do not know how to do that, I would recommend you find a website that allows you to include your fly line and backing so they may spool it for you

I had 2 different fly shops order specific fly line that they normally do not stock to place on my reels only charging the amount over their credit

Most fly shops will include a credit/fly line with your reel as well as backing (or charge for backing $10-$15 and offer free fly line/credit towards), I would make sure where ever you buy your reel from that you get some sort of fly line credit as that is more common to find than not

>>878626
Where about will you be fishing and for what type of Salmon

>>878631
I do not mind answering questions but I can make a book out of a fly fishing guide with how much information I include, too much to condense for a short and sweet guide
>>
>>876939
>>876946

I agree that a good warranty is a huge incentive to choose one brand over another, especially when you spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars on a piece of equipment. It's also (sometimes unfortunately) a reason to avoid newer companies that might not be around ten or twenty years from now to replace your broken rod.

But don't you think that "no questions asked" warranties inflate the price of fly rods?

I'd be curious to see what you think of this blog post:

https://blog.southerncultureonthefly.com/2016/08/04/the-rod-warranty-circus/
>>
File: IMG_8294.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8294.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>878777
I'd honeslty like to purchase maybe one of those guides. I'm still pretty new myself. Also I got home from work and snooped through everything that I inherited and I found another rod. Would this be a good mix with that waterworks reel I posted? It says 7/8 so an 8wt should work right? Sorry if I sound dumb, I've only blowfished and spinning reel
>>
>>878835
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHAKESPEARE-ALPHA-FLY-ROD-FY1310-8-2-PIECE-ACTION-7-8-VERY-NICE-/172351169124?hash=item2820ee2264%3Ag%3AMLkAAOSwYIxX5BiE

Fishing Type: Freshwater Fishing
Fish Species: Trout, Bass, Crappie, Blue Gill, All Freshwater, Bass

It looks like it would do well with that 8wt reel and in freshwater application, but likely the guides and reel seat if not even the rod itself are not up for saltwater fishing

I would say to go for it if you are limiting fishing to freshwater; if you want to in the future you can purchase a rod for saltwater at that time

Make sure the guides are smooth, it would be painful to buy a new reel, line, leader only to have a eyelet/guide carve into them

Fly lines are semi delicate but not fragile, just take care of the line and it will work just like any other tool when properly maintained

Everyone has to ask questions at some point, I am glad to help where I can!
>>
>>878840
Thank you. I think I'll just invest in the links I posted earlier
>>
>>878840
I'm involved with my university's fly fishing club and get discounts on TFO, Redington, and Cheeky products. I'd like to set my younger brother up with a 5 wt for Christmas, and I think I'll get him a TFO rod for reasons explained above, but of these three manufacturers who makes the most durable and dependable reels?

Thanks.
>>
>>878943
Should let me use that discount anon kek.
On a side note though, I did find an "entry level" sage rod for $100 more than the TFO I was looking at. I don't know which route to go. Both brands anons have vouched for. I'm very indecisive if you can't tell
>>
>>879015
If you're in the US and in college see if you're school has a fly fishing club and look into the TU/Costa 5Rivers program.
Pro deals on the three mentioned above as well as Costa, Rio, Loon, and flymen fishing co products.
>>
>>878943
Reels are an easy buy; if you do not plan on fishing saltwater then almost any reel will do

Ideally you get any reel that is NOT made out of plastic/has plastic gears; the black reel to the left of this picture is the one that came with my TFO outfit from Bass Pro, it is a basic Hobbes/White River reel and I do mean basic but changing that out will not get more fish it will make retrieve easier as well shooting
>>876939

All you need a reel for is to hold the line on, most if not all of the action is done by the rod and fly line

I did not know of TFO making fly reels and if you can find any similar to the link below for around that price range I would get it, just confirm no plastic parts
http://www.basspro.com/White-River-Fly-Shop-Intruder-Fly-Reel/product/120829053246141/

If your budget is $100-$200 for a reel I would recommend Lamson Waterworks reels; since I have no experience with TFO reels I cannot recommend them honestly, I saw a few of their models and at that price I would not think twice about buying a Lamson reel as opposed to TFO

TFO makes rods, fly and spin, exceptional rod builders

Lamson makes reels, exceptional reels because that is all they make and they make it right

Sage makes some of the best fly rods I have ever seen/used and their reels definitely are of quality but equal in my opinion to Lamson Waterworks reels; the only reasons you would pick one over the other is price/design/drag dial on Sage reel

I think a TFO rod for your brother would be a great pick out of those 3, mainly because of that lovely lifetime warranty they include no questions asked

As beginner fly fishermen you should _expect_ to break a fly rod within the first few years, it is inevitable. Sometimes it is from improper storage, sometimes a fly hits the rod mid cast, sometimes you catch a tree and bend the rod too much, it happens you can only do your best to avoid
>>
>>879015
I would say Sage is better than TFO all day but it would matter which rods you compare with

Although, I believe your choice with the Mangrove was a good pick, paired with Lamson Guru II reel I think you would do just as well with the TFO rod as Sage for this outfit
>>
>>879094
>>879097
Browsing through Lamson Waterworks website I found this. I can see a similarity in the two reel manufacturers, but I personally believe that Lamson has surpassed Sage in this specific department

>Late in 1998, we acquired Lamson from Sage Manufacturing
>>
>>879097
Honeslty I picked the one that looked the "coolest" kek.
>inb4 good looks doesn't mean good performance
>>
>>879347
It's a good pick, seems very balanced for the three factors they graph

http://www.tforods.com/fly-fishing/rods/mangrove-series.html

I have the BVK for my saltwater 9wt and I have only good things to say about it. A significant factor in my decision was the green color, but mostly the overwhelming positive reviews for the BVK specifically with saltwater
>>
OP with my last question. I've always just thrown my rods in the bed of my truck and drive to wherever I'm going. I know flow rods are a lot longer and thinner towards the tip. Is it safe to ride with them setup, or should I just play it safe and build them when I get to my fishing spot
>>
>>880199
I always build on location, it's not really a nuisance and I enjoy doing so

If I do not have the patience to assemble my rod/reel, then I can be sure I would not be patient enough to fish that at that time
>>
File: DSC4484.jpg (154KB, 1499x899px) Image search: [Google]
DSC4484.jpg
154KB, 1499x899px
>>877212
>Clean reel
Rinse fresh water. Lube generally unnecessary for fly reels, sparingly if you must. under no circumstance allow lube to get on drag if cork or synthetic disk.

>Clean line
If noticeably dirty, I like a two sink setup...strip Lin from reel into soapy water basin, strip through soapy cloth into clean water side. Then strip through clean cloth back onto reel. You may apply line cleaner like Slick at this point, which really helps fly line sail through guides.
>>
>>880202
>I always assemble on location...
FTFY
>>
>>880202
Put together rods on site. Fly rods by nature are prone to car window, tailgate, tire run-over and other catastrophes. Ask me how I know. Best routine is to assemble rod as last task when reading destination, and reverse task order when leaving. Rods get broken mostly at the truck, or when pulling out of a case when the fly you left on is hooked in the cordura.

For convenience I like rod cases designed to hold two 2piece rods with reels attached when in car or boat. Four to six piece tubes when flying.
>>
File: 1472095585397.jpg (44KB, 480x674px) Image search: [Google]
1472095585397.jpg
44KB, 480x674px
>>883173
Don't know whats in those wipes, but if they contain alcohol I wouldn't use on fly line.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.