[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BOB/SHTF Rate Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 22

File: 30174967212_194d91ed89_o.jpg (631KB, 1884x2654px) Image search: [Google]
30174967212_194d91ed89_o.jpg
631KB, 1884x2654px
General bug-out bag discussion thread. What's your loadout? Tips/pointers/criticism welcome. I'll post mine to get things started.

Bag: Army UCP 3-day assault pack (UCP) w/ attached CLS 'fanny' pack
Water:
-Army Camelbak
-Plastic Canteen w/ cup and cover
-Collapsible 1L plastic bladder
-LifeStraw
Food/Prep:
-x3 MREs (beef stew all the way, baby)
-BSA folding fork/can opener
-BSA collapsible mess kit w/ pan handle (steel) -Compact stove with x8 fuel tabs
Medical: Combat Life Support Bag (UCP)
-Trauma shears
-x2 CAT torniquets
-Pressure Dressing (L)
-Pressure Dressing (M)
-Chest seal w/ decompression needle
-x2 Muslin Bandage
-Kerlix
-Hemostatic Combat Gauze
-SAM flexible splint
-Assorted NSAIDs
-Assorted painkillers
-Assorted antibiotics
-Assorted blister pads, tums, band-aids etc
-Pad of EMT quick-notes
Heat:
-Magnesium fire starter
-Storm matches
-Bic lighters out the wazoo
-Foil shock blanket
-Sniffle gear (silk thermals, beanie, wool socks)
Sanitation:
-Wet wipes
-TP
-Toothbrush/paste
-Disposable razor
-Deoderant
Misc:
-Folded 2'x2' waterproof map of Colorado
-Compass w/ navigation guide
-Electrical/medical tape for days
-Duct tape
-Trash bags
-Tarp -Biker tent
-Woobie (aka the beloved Army poncho liner)
-Pliers
-Wire cutters
-550 cord
-One of those wire pocket-saws

The bag sits nice and cozy in my closet next to my issue gear, helmet, and load-bearing vest (with attached 1st aid pouch, E-tool, and IV kit), as well as my AR (which I need to buy more ammo for) and my SKS with 200 rounds of surplus 7.62 rounds, 50 of those loaded onto stripper clips.
>>
I'm not a doomsday consumerist. I just bulk up on canned foods and have a storm shelter. I go hiking and camping because it's fun, not because I'm an autist. I literally seen people out there in their milsurp gear fighting trees telling me they training for WW3.
>>
>>874411
OP here, neither am I. Most of the shit I have in my bag or laying around the house I bought primarily for hiking/camping/shooting. The bag serves as a "juuuust-in-case" measure. It provides some (relatively minor) peace of mind, on the odd chance that shit really does go south.
>>
Armyfag here, some buddies and I got into an argument awhile back about which is better the ALICE or the MOLLE II? also what's /out/'s opinion on going out with a ruck or hell even an assault pack?
>>
>>874417

I feel like most people only prefer MOLLE because of the loop webbing system, ALICE is lighter and breathes better. A hybrid of both seems like it would be ideal if you live in a state that experiences a full run of seasons.
>>
>>874426
alice is also cheaper

>>874417
if the bag is specifically made to withstand a combat deployment then why not use it
>>
I do dislike that camo pattern. Anything digital kills it for me, anyhow anyone bugging out when killary wins?
>>
File: IMG_20160303_172532.jpg (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160303_172532.jpg
2MB, 2048x1536px
>>874407
>nice rifle
But I'm biased.
>>
>>874407
>-Magnesium fire starter
>-Storm matches
>-Bic lighters out the wazoo
Just bring the bic lighter.
>>
>>874438
>dat AK
I dig the furniture on the SKS on the right though, what's its origin?
>>
>>874440
When I started I had a lot more steel crap because muh durability but I'm trying to swap to plastics and lighter materials. Any recommendations on what I should leave out?
>>
>>874443

what happens when the bic runs out
>>
>>874417
alice is the better pack, as long as you aren't actually operating.

the main draw back of the full size alice is how wide it is. and it's far back center of gravity.

but if you are actually operating with full long term packs, you stumbled into the wrong fucking neighborhood. so i prefer the alice. I don't think the army issues alice anymore, I got my replacement pack in 08 I think, but refused to use it.

also OP is a larping faggot. unless shit has massively changed the regular army would never contract ith camelback to make their pleb packs that get that US stamp. those are cheap as fuck, but usefull packs made by blind and deaf people. I have 3 I think in my storage closet. and I have ops bag that my supply got for us, but it doesn't have the US stamp. because good units get discretionary funds to buy shit.
>>
>>874462
OP here, yeah ALICE gear has been completely phased out for MOLLE. Also the bag pictured is a bag given to me by a friend who got out a few years back, but even the newer assault pack issued to me by my unit (reserve hospital) has the 'US' on there. Pretty sure my ruck has it too. I don't know if it was made like that or added by central issue at a later point.
>>
>>874462
I take that back. I have the original camelback that that pack is based on, but I just opened up the pic. that is a cheaply made peice of shit. I can imagine the army buying the liscence to make that pack, and letting the cripples make those peices of shit.

the material is obviously army pleb issue teir.
>>
File: IMG_20160303_175347.jpg (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160303_175347.jpg
2MB, 2048x1536px
>>874444
> checked

That is Russian. The ONLY lam stk SKS I've ever seen...
>>
>>874466
no the US stamp is put on at manufacturing. it is part of the contract.

if your unit only gets shit stamped with US, you are not elite. and yea all issue packs have the stamp. when I got out the issue pack was a 70 or 80 liter regular hiking pack(think rei brand). but in acu and stamped.

but no one used them. we got fucking switchblades twice a year our unit got so much money.

what do you hospital units even do? just man the giant bases? half the time I ever went to see a doc in the shit it was just a combat medic that signed off that I was ok after I obviosly failed a concussion test. who the fuck can remember 5 words 15 minutes later?
>>
>>874479
Isn't the laminate supposed to be a little bit heavier? How do you like the Russian compared to the Chinese? Mine's late production Chinese and I love it, it eats cheap ammunition and stays dead-on target.
>>
>>874480
Never claimed to be elite. Our budget is pretty shit. I'm an enlisted medic, there's a few of us but we're really just the grunts in the medical sense. My unit is mostly doctors, surgeons, PAs, nurses etc. We just combined with our old sister unit to form an MBB (medical backfill battalion), which so far is the same exact fucking thing but with more personnel.
>>
>>874486
but what is the point? what do you sctuallu do?

my unit was a sapper company. we had medics and a pa in our company. every time we deployed one of the two battalion surgeons just slept on base.

if you aren't attached to actual units, what do hospital brigades do? I used to drive bt one on one base, and they literally had a fucking kick ball league.
>>
File: IMG_20160710_143547.jpg (914KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160710_143547.jpg
914KB, 2048x1536px
>>874483
Weight is of no consequence when compaired to unique.

Chinko stocks are softwood like (similar to) Philipine mohogany.

I prefer the Ruskie to Chinko in every example.

Though I have a penchant for the Norinco SKS-M, for reasons.
>>
>>874494
We basically just rotate for mob/deployment at the big on-base hospitals, send people to Landstuhl, train pre-deployment reserve/guard units on CLS/BLS, provide field medical support for the range/warex/cstx/etc, all sorts of low-speed shit. A couple months ago I got sent to Knox to help run a blood lab for OCS cadets, pretty decent example of what we do on the enlisted side. We're a pog support unit. I.m trying to go regular Army by the end of next year, got nothing going for me on the civilian side.
>>
>>874498
actually that completely answers my wuestion and makes me respect you guys more. I completely forget that medicine is more than me seeing the doctor. but yea, I guess processing all the idiots like me every year is taxing, test wise. but I laugh at your range thing. on the range or a feild exercise the medic assigned to the platoon is first redponder. then the company pa. then the surgeon if someone told him to come. then it is drive 100mph to the base hospital in a soft shell.

I know from experience. essayons.
>>
>>874502
It's all good man, I try not to get too butthurt about it. We catch a lot of shit from regular army guys. A couple of the reserve units in our area actually don't have any assigned medical personnel, believe it or not. Psy-ops, civ affairs, shit like that. So they can't shoot til there's a medic on the range. I love going to support those guys, they go shoot and we get to go sit in a soft shell and fuck around. Or we use their weapons to qualify, they always have better shit than us. I legit traded over-the-counter motrin to a bunch of psy-ops guys for a pack of smokes one time. Good times.
>>
>>874497
At the time, Chinko was all I could afford. My local fun shop has a hard-on for legit Soviet weapons so they tend to charge more, the owner's a milsurp 'collector' who buys a good chunk of his own stock to keep at his fallout shelter at home. I'm considering getting into AKs, but I don't know shit about them.
>>
File: IMG_20160325_063757.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160325_063757.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>874508
> missing the wave when pure kits were $250
> sucksdonit.jpg

I waited 2 months for my builder to "get around to it". Worth every day for that ALG trigger, Romy custom build.
>>
>>874512
>pay 250 for kit plus at least as much for receiver + builder fees
>buy wasr-10 for 400 bucks
wow such deal
>>
>>874520
> WASR yummie
> apples vs orange peels on the trail

Sorry, you're not on my level. I went from Bulgarian Arsenal SLR to Nodak custom.

I'm fine,.
How are you, lil'buddy?
>>
>>874407
Op just to let you know... Assholes like me exist. Wearing an military styled backpack says two things "shoot me and get free stuff" why you wonder? If your military, ur most likely was or is apart of the orginal problem. Also ur trained so I'm going to shoot the "officers" first if you catch my drift. Second. If your not military ur an extreme poser fag and are also an easy target and you are a prepper and that means ur carrying essentials. So I'm still gonna shoot you.
>>
>>874548
> ur

Got it.
>>
>>874525
so you've got a taste for shit. got it.
>>
File: IMG_20160131_095534.jpg (806KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160131_095534.jpg
806KB, 2048x1536px
>>874578
> jelly
> clueless

Pick one or both.
>>
>>874548
By this logic it's best to paint LGBT rainbow patterns on your pack and all the homophobic preppers will be forced not to shoot you.
>>
>>874548
OP here, are you suggesting that someone who's willing to shoot a stranger for their supplies is going to pass up on lesser targets? I feel like the dickhead post-apocalyptic raider mentality extends to all potential prey. If I were to wear a civilian pack, and end up in someone's sights, are they gonna be like "oh man no camo, guess I'll skip this one". Don't be a fucking retard.

>Soldiers are part of the original problem
>Preppers are fags
>"ur"
Based on your views, it seems like you're neither well-trained enough to hunt your fellow man nor smart enough to even make an attempt.
>>
>>874458
http://youtu.be/mQ33MxR86D8
>>
>>874433
i imagine not at first, lol.
>>
>>874433
If Hillary wins, I'm moving to Canada!!....oh, wait...
>>
>>874407
See I never understood people who include what you have in your "sanitation" section. If shit really hit the fan shaving is the least of my worries, same with brushing my teeth, or putting on deodorant. That all just seems like a waste of space.
>>
>>874458
Where the hell are you bugging out to that would cause a bic lighter to run out in 3-7 days? Are you burning everything in your wake in case you get lost?
>>
>>874922

Ppl do it in order to keep some form of familiarity in troubling times.
A shave or shower can actually help improve your morale by a shit ton in that situation.
I know it sure did help me during employments, your avg cleaning was just wiping yourself down with baby wipes, so when you did get to shower and shave, you felt brand new.
Also just keeping clean is good for your general health too.

Go google, plenty of study has shown and proven that hygiene is very important during those times, even if it is just a shave. Chances are you're gonna get scratched up or injured, that can easily get infected due to being dirty.
>>
>>874548

You need to go back to school.
Your spelling/grammar is shit.
>>
>>874548
Stop... just stop.
>>
>>874548
I know you're baiting. This would be a good way to get yourself killed though. Going after the hard targets who are actually armed and prepared instead of the soft targets like clueless civilians.
>>
>>875018
>>875006
>>874949
>>874608
>>874596
>>874560

None of you grew up during the Bosnia civil war. So kindly kys know it all fags.
>>
>>874922
I do keep a razor in my pack because a beard ruins the fit of your filter mask.
>>
File: IMG_0564.gif (26KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0564.gif
26KB, 400x400px
>>875032
>Bosnia civil war
Judging by your poor typing and grammar you probably weren't alive during Desert Storm. I'd tell you to off yourself but that would be wasting resources. Go to school and be worthwhile for a change.
>>
>>875032

As my exlandlady used to say when I was biting her nipples:
>Easy, killer.
>>
Despite weight, what does /out/ think of stocking good honey? Viscous stuff, considering that you might be treating burns without a lot of sterile materials/tools.
>>
File: 1441575833296.jpg (18KB, 353x352px) Image search: [Google]
1441575833296.jpg
18KB, 353x352px
>>874922
Confirmed for someone who never was /out/ for longer than to walmart and back. Staying clean is important AF.

>>875329
I saw a movie where someone used honey on a wound. Therefore i must stock honey.
>>
>>875032
yes. none of us are over 19 years old.

one of my squad leaders served in fucking bosnia. I probably know more about that war than you, even if you were a kosovo street kid.
>>
>>874922
Having been in the field a few times, as well as innawoods on my own, I can assure you that a simple wet-wipe shower or teeth brushing can do wonders for morale. Source: every single person who's ever been in the military and spent time in the field.

>>875208
Fucking kek

>>875329
I've heard good things about honey when applied to smaller burns, but as a medic, I'd rather haul a shit ton of sterile dressings that would still have the same dry weight. Simple wet compresses over natural remedies any day.

Also, I'm pretty sure there's a specific type of honey that's supposed to work best.
>>
>>875032

I actually did, have posted shit ton of OC pics about it on /k/ and other topics. So shut the fuck up and go write your blog else where faggot.
>>
File: IMAG0173.jpg (4MB, 5376x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0173.jpg
4MB, 5376x3024px
>>874407
Where you at senpai?

I'm in Denver
>>
>>876306
>Brown Bear
>Based 125 grn 7.62x39
>Bro status confirmed

I'm down in Castle Pines now, just moved out of the Parker area. Whereabouts in Denver? Is it tough keeping your firearms close to hand, I know there's some shitty gun legislation in effect in the city.
>>
You people are fetishising a scenario, you know that right?
>>
File: 830932489_11620-L.jpg (63KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
830932489_11620-L.jpg
63KB, 800x450px
>>876306
>>876313
SO screwed up my phone number again, did the same thing last time I renewed. It's valid if they'd dial the right fucking area code.

As long as you stay out of denver you're fine.
And boulder. Fuck that place.
>>
File: IMAG0362.jpg (4MB, 3024x5376px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0362.jpg
4MB, 3024x5376px
>>876313
:)

I moved out of parker last month. I'm in Denver now,
>>876333
Damn, senpai you guys carry huu
Where do you hangout/shoot?

I'm usually up in evergreen

Pic from earlier today, went up the mountain near Evergreen CO
>>
File: i-vwhXMGc-L.jpg (101KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
i-vwhXMGc-L.jpg
101KB, 400x600px
>>876353
When I ride, sometimes I'll take a few mags along. USFS is getting a little tighter on where you can and can't shoot, but you get far enough out and nobody's going to care. Just clean up after yourself, and know where your rounds are ending up.

Rifles, don't really shoot those locally. Cheyenne's got a nice range. Couple places an hour or two south of here that are nice too.

And yes, I carry.
>>
>>876353
Yeah Parker sucked, glad I moved out of there. I've Been shooting at Centennial Gun Club (indoor place) since that's where a couple of my buddies shoot. I've been looking for a decent cheap outdoor range though. I carry, but when I do I open carry (so no permit). I'm more of a rifle guy, honestly. Got inspired to build my first AR after basic though.

>>876357
Same, I strap on my Makarov when I go for a ride, keeps people from fucking around (small cafe racer, not very loud). Know any decent spots to shoot in the Castle Rock area?
>>
>>874443
my bic lighter got wet once and stopped working (it will work again once it's dry, but that can take a while), a magnesium fire starter is waterproof
>>
>>876330
>no fun allowed
>>
>>876330
> am not
>>
>>876702
>Centennial Gun Club

Not a fan desu

I just go outdoor range in the mountains, easy to reach if you have a truck/suv

If i need to get some rounds downrange, i would just go to the arvada range, or the one in lakewood
>>
what`s a good beginner-moderate shortwave radio
>>
>>877207
bump
>>
>>877944
Try Sangean or a used Icom
>>
I assume most of us live in a city of some kind. If you don't, then where the fuck are you bugging out to?

Tell me realistically what your ideal bug out plan is? Something major happens, you grab your bag and rifle, and walk through the city hoping nobody, especially military or police stop you?

How far do you actually plan on going on foot? Is it 2 miles, 20 miles, 200 miles?

I know its prudent to stay prepared for anything, but I still have never heard a reasonable and realistic bug out plan.
>>
>>877994
>I assume most of us live in a city of some kind. If you don't, then where the fuck are you bugging out to?
I live about 10 kms out of a town of 3,500 people. My BOL is about another 12 kms away in the next valley.
>>
>>877994
people frequently mention bug out location as destination, and a bug out location is usually some sort of cabin
>>
>>874940
You mean you aren't supposed to use your bic to keep warm?
>>
>>874922
the marginal stuff you can do without, but there is sanitation that promotes function, namely your feet and groin. not maintaining good boot etiquette will reward you with mushy, pudding feet that will destroy your socks, destroy your feet, and be uncomfortable to walk in. once that mushy feet reconsolidates, it will callous and promote corn growth, which is bad for comfort and blood circulation. you can rough it on most things sanitation, but the things that reigned above all to soldiers that went to places like vietnam, keep diligent to fight things such as jungle rot (emaciated flesh due to prolonged exposure to moisture and chaffing)
>>
>>874407
How the fuck do you even use that scope? It'd be flush with my face.
>>
>>878131
Why would you leave a tiny town to live in the wilderness?

>>878169
Yeah no shit. Wander 50+ miles to a shack in the middle of nowhere on foot. Thats usually the plan I hear like they'll just go for an afternoon walk to their "cabin". But when you ask how they'll deal with adversity such as military checkpoints, they visibly blow a fuse.
>>
>>874407
A better question, how would you survive without your little bug out bag? Can you build a simple shelter with no tools? Can you flintknap? Make a bow Drill?
>deodorant
Seriously nigger?
>>
Dutchfag here, first time poster.

What are some basic necessities to have when SHTF (since I'm Dutch that would probably be a flood or CME/EMP)? Guns out of the question and I will stay inside my home.

Stuff to get firewood and firestarters? I have absolutely no clue, you guys maybe got some pastas/images or just type it out if you feel generous. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>878544
oh,

I'm not in a floodzone but the entire area that runs this country is. So they won't be able to help at all. That why I need to be able to survive inside for about a month.

If the world is gonna end, I'll be dead anyway, no point in prepping for a nuclear holocaust
>>
>>878516
wouldn't the reaction by personnel at checkpoints entirely depend on what sort of shtf scenario has occurred? Seems like it'd depend on if people were allowed to travel or if uncle sam was trying to keep everyone in one place so he could herd em into muh fema reeducation camps

>>878538
pretty sure deodorant can be used for other shit too my guy, i've used it on bug bites before. pretty sure its handy for blisters too.
>>
>>878538
Well, I still carry a lighter and either my knife or my gerber with me everywhere I go, should shit go down and I don't have anything else I've still got those. I can build an a-frame, and assuming I lose my lighter I've also done a bit of flint-knapping. I've honestly never made a bow drill myself, seen it done.
>>
>ITT
>basement dweller trumplets debate about what they are not gonna do when Clinton wins

protip, you actually could have gone camping and use some of that pristine gears of yours for the first time whilst you have been shitposting on /out/
>>
>>878570
>complains about shitposting
>shitposts

ok bud
>>
>>877994
I actually wonder this a lot when I see BOB threads on here and /k/. My theory is that none of them really have a real idea where they're going or what they're doing when they get there.
>>
>>878722
> get /out, start walking
> start dropping shit you're tiered of carrying
> begin writing your wish list

> repeat

How little it's done.
>>
>>878722
yeah, its usually something like
>I'll grab my sks, 1000 rounds of ammo, a backpack of crap I collected for $14 at walmart, and I'll just read a survival book to learn how to do things if shit really hits the fan!
>Then I'll hike 600 miles to my uncles cabin and use my pocket knife to trap rabbits and craft a hammock!

Any time I could press /k/ into actually fleshing out how their trip would go, its usually walking through wooded areas (in a city) at night with the aforementioned gear, tens of miles to a shack somewhere with no running water or electricity. Its the most idiotic plan I read 80% of the time.
>>
>>878516
My and my girlfriend's plans generally involve getting south to her mother's town where there's pure springwater wells and her friends and family have a wealth of varied practical knowledge.

Note that such plans are for unreasonable fantasy emergencies like zombies and the like.

In actual emergencies like the kind that happen all the time here in florida, it isn't all that hard to wait shit out. I'll likely still have enough gas to get to the stores that are still open because they like profit so much they use gas generators to sell you shit. It's a hilly city used to torrential downpour so no significant part of any area gets impassibly flooded. Except the ghetto part. They're fucked.

For me, BOB prep is more of an absurd hobby like card collecting, honestly. There are worse things to spend your money on.
>>
>>874417
ALICE pack and frame with MOLLE shoulder straps and hip belt. Best of both worlds. Google "hellcat ALICE" for more info.
>>
>>874508
Look up AK operators union on youtube.
>>
File: OP.png (591KB, 600x410px) Image search: [Google]
OP.png
591KB, 600x410px
>>874407
>High caliber medical supplies

If you need these you're going to die regardless. Even if you can use it most of this stuff is designed to keep you alive until you get to a hospital, which are going to be flooded to fuck or non-operational in a SHTF requiring you to bug out. You also can't self-aid most of this stuff because you'll be plus some bullets and minus some blood so if you're going alone just drop it.

Take ammo food or nothing rather than your field ambulance.
>>
>>878800
at the very least make a field kit that incorporates redundancies. distilled grain alchohol, duct tape, an amount of cotton cloth, iodine. there is nothing unmanly about using bandaids
>>
>>874548
This is pseudo true; if you run into a random dude in the woods and get the drop on him you would shoot him either way, but in a city (when you start your bugout) you'll attract more attention with "I spent 5 grand on this shit" look. The difference would probably be academic though.
>>
>>878804
Nope, but you don't really need dressings for sucking chest wounds either. Antibotics, alcohol wipes, duct tape, bandaids, mole skin, bandaids and other shite makes sense, stuff for bringing an unconscious man back from the dead doesn't.
>>
>>878765
>>878805
>>878807
>>
>>878800
Well, thing is in a situation like that you're bound to run into other people, many of them non-threatening and some of them surely in some need of medical assistance. I know /k/ommandoes have their whole "other people slow you down" credo, but if I can render aid using my particular skill set, then I will. I have a self-aid kit on my chest rig that's for easy access for personal use.

>>878804
I've got some cotton cloth, tape, iodine etc scattered throughout the bag, I'll keep that grain alcohol in mind though.

>>878807
A chest seal for a sucking chest wound costs me nothing and weighs very little, and is far more effective as an intervention for that type of injury.
>>
>>879024

Even if you happen across a guy who's all fucked up and needs this stuff you'll probably be too late. Judging by your list you know your shit but unless you're there when it happens there's only so much one guy can do.

That being said if you plan on moving as a group or already own that stuff you might as well have it.
>>
>>874407
>How do you like the sks?
>You a yugo fag
>>
>>879139
If I can do something that might help, or ease someone's passing, then I'll do so as long as supplies permit. But you're right, if I come across someone too late then there's most likely not a lot I can do. I have roommates, as well as family living in the area. If the situation allows it I'd be trying to ensure their safety, so that's an additional incentive to pack the extra weight. I keep a duffel full of odds and ends in my vehicle in case someone is traveling with me, I can pass off another of my rifles and some basic supplies to someone if they're traveling with me.
>>
>>874407
>>874407
Comments welcome on this list.

If I ever put together a BOB it'll contain:

-BSA personal first aid kit + triangle bandages
-Doxycyline, Advil, Sudafed, Mucinex DM, Prilosec, Tums
-Freeze Dried foods
-Gatorade/drink mix pouches
-Candles+Bic
-Prescription bottle with matches/striking surface
-Ferro/Magnesium fire starter
-Quart bag filled with dryer lint
-Natural rope 50 ft x 2
-500 yds 50lb mono fishing line + hooks/bobbers
-Stinkbait+pantyhose
-Small can opener
-Whisperlite with MSR cook kit and 1L fuel bottle
-Sierra cups and spoon
-Bivy+tarp+sleeping bag
-Camelbak unbottle 100
-Nalgene 1L bottle
-Katadyn water filter with camelbak adapters
-One change clothing
-3 sets underwear/socks
-Leatherman
-Old timer 70T
-Benchmade 9101 Auto Stryker
-Ruger MkII + 1000rds
-Marlin 336 in .30-30 with 100 rds
-2 bars dial soap
-Toothbrush+medium tube toothpaste

Other items COULD include:
Bow saw or Folding saw
Axe or Hatchet
Rite in the rain pad/pen

I don't have a bug out plan because I'm better off bugging in where I live. If this were an INCH bag I'd be swapping the whisperlite for a wood fired stove and double the rope. Anything that needs to be dry would be packed in it's own ziplock freezer bag.
>>
>>874407
>lifestraw
>hydration bladder
>painkillers
>tums
>deodorant
>disposable razor
all this is garbage, and no knife?
also your pack sounds dumb heavy
>>
>>874940
exactly. OP has so much useless shit for a bug out its ridiculous. You can tell someones skill set and experience by what they bring in the field with them. He pretty much neglected to think about the absolute most important thing about bugging out so that he could bring 1000 other items.
>>
>>879609
get rid of all the useless plastic and shit.
>>
>>874494
Fuck yeah another Sapper browses this board.
>>
File: IMG_20161006_051747-1.jpg (271KB, 1244x1734px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161006_051747-1.jpg
271KB, 1244x1734px
>>878759
While good advice, I wasted alot of time looking into this less perfect solution.

Far better and cheaper option, pic related.
>>
File: IMG_20161006_051825.jpg (944KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161006_051825.jpg
944KB, 2048x1536px
>>880239
I wrapped two leather laces around the top frame crossbar last nighr.

I got it at Cal Ranch store for ~$40.
>>
File: IMG_20161020_222327.jpg (913KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161020_222327.jpg
913KB, 2048x1536px
>>880240
> wrapped leather

Rawhide laces about 48" long.

Bigger, better design than from 50 years ago. FAR better suspension!

Elastic web is motorcycle helmet webbing.
>>
>>879875
Elaborate...
>>
>>879609
I totally disregarded toilet paper and baby wipes in this list.
>>
>>880336
go space age, cut all non essential weight. i get that sterility is a factor, but ounces make pounds
>>
File: bad bag.png (12KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
bad bag.png
12KB, 360x360px
>>879609
dude your bag sucks
>>
desu the rare amount of times i see sock redundancy stressed upon worries me. they have a wise assortment of uses, not to mention are central to comfortable long term boot living
>>
>>880347
>>880347
So what do you classify as "non-essential" in my list? I pack compartmentalized in ziplocs so that my bag floats and everything that needs to be dry, is dry.
>>
File: BOB_response.jpg (140KB, 1163x342px) Image search: [Google]
BOB_response.jpg
140KB, 1163x342px
>>880356
I figure my lack of bug out plan would explain my quantities, and 4chan thinks my response is spam.
>>
My baby - rate her ;)
>>
>>874922
I agree with most of your post, but I would atleast brush my teeth. Getting a tooth infection could mean death when there is no dentist or adequate medicine available.
>>
>>874548
I've never seen such a badass
>>
>>880356
>ruger mkII
>rifle
Visit /k/ more, it's a .22 pistol
>>
File: IMG_20161022_022925-1.jpg (694KB, 2024x963px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161022_022925-1.jpg
694KB, 2024x963px
>>
>>882414
.22 is accepted by many to be the perfect shtf rifle. those currently simple living would say its the 12ga
>>
>>882480
>882480
I have that same MSR pocket rocket! Its super precarious cooking with even a small skillet. Is there a small platform I can buy or a reasonable shelf or stand I can make to hold a pot or pan without thinking it'll tip over so easily?

I'm envisioning a metal grill about 8 inches in diameter or square, with 3 or 4 post legs to hold the pot, and the burner sits just under it. Picture a bar stool with a hole for the burner, or just a metal mesh to allow heat to evenly spread.
>>
This seems like the thread to ask. I wear fox river socks, love em.

I'm stocking a three day bag, now, are there any comparable socks, but cheaper? I don't want to spend 32+ on kitting out my bag with enough comfy feet protectors, but I will.

I feel like I have to ask because "good socks" is a broad brush to paint with
>>
>>882526
My Fox River are my least favored two pair since moving to Darn Tough and esp Smartwool.

They have lasted for over a decade, though.
>>
>>874407
>Bag: Army UCP 3-day assault pack (UCP) w/ attached CLS 'fanny' pack
why US?
>>
>>874407
You'd be better suited with an innocuous children's backpack IMHO, who the fuck is going to steal a my little pony kit? You've just made a target of your self m8.
>>
>>880362
Also, your feet are your most valuable resource you can't drive. Underwear is essential too. Keeping clean not only improves morale, but also health.
>>
>>882493
Just get a whisperlite. You can run it on gasoline when your fuel source runs out. When your canisters run out you're out of fuel completely.
>>
>>882685
>Seeing a grown man with a children's backpack
>Not killing him on sight for being a total fag
>>
>>882964
Take it easy francis, I don't want to cook lunch out of my work truck with gasoline.

I would consider buying one if it weren't $100 because remote fuel tanks and lower cooking platform makes sense. But that kinda money for stamped steel and a fuel line is retarded.
>>
I also live in denver, north part.

As far as your bag, whats it for? Going to a friends house? Do you have other property somewhere you need to get to? Just anything that might go wrong?

If it where me, this is what I'd do
1. dump half your first aid kit, you should avoid getting in fights, and just need to survive the first 3 days
2. Add at least some real food to the MREs, tuna, GORP, beef jerky, flavored rice and beans, something.
3. Take some laxatives for that too, and a bunch of OTC meds. Walking 12 miles up hill with a 60 pound ruck sucks. Sleeping is way easier if you can pop 4 tylonel for your aching back.
4. I take 2 compasses and 2 maps. They're too valuable not to.
5. why do you have pliers instead of a good leatherman?
6. Why do you have wire cutters at all?
7. Dump the crap pocket saw, either get a real one (sven saw) or use a hatchet (husqvarna if you can't afford grandsford bruks)
8 add a second water filter. again 2 is one, one is none.
9. add 2 encrypted thumb drives with copies of SSN, birth certificate, marriage certificate, house deeds, car deeds, bank account numbers, all that stuff you need. insurance policies, phone numbers of loved ones and friends, maps food info, etc. 2 is one, one is none. Make it a secure, but easy to remember password, like MyAKisReallyCoolButIWontLetYouShootItEverCommie

more coming.
>>
>>883837
cont

I carry 2 10 liter dromsdary water bags. If I can fillup one and lug it back to camp that's better then going out 2-3 times a day. They also can come in handy where ever you're going.

Add cash too. Lots. No way it will hurt, and it can be a lot more fun to hit up a B and B while the toxic sludge gets cleaned up than go camping.

I'd also opt for pistol (glock 19 probably) over a rifle, unless it's really an end of the world situation, then I'd take an AR and body armor. There's really no good reason to choose 7.62 over 223, and the weight is a big con. I'm planning to avoid getting shot at.

The biggest thing is have a bunch of plans. Have 5 places to go with people you know, theres safety in numbers. it can be friends or parents, even friends a state away. In the vast majority of situations you should just stay home, this bag is for the minority of situations when you actually do have to leave. Consider that.
>>
Anytime I see BOB threads I always go back to this guy.
https://youtu.be/4DSveLiEbSM
Thread posts: 128
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.