[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Eggs while /out/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

File: egg.jpg (5KB, 180x229px) Image search: [Google]
egg.jpg
5KB, 180x229px
How do you pack eggs while backpacking, out?
Dehydrated eggs aren't as good as the real deal and the plastic egg containers are a waste of space as soon as you use your eggs.
I'd like to crack half a dozen eggs into a thermos along with chopped up veggies and precooked bacon for a comfy first morning meal. In cooler climates this would be fine year round but I'm in the southeast US so I'm worried about spoilage when the highs get into the 80s and 90s over the summer.
Anyone have any ideas?
>>
Train a chicken to follow you around.
>>
A ziplock of ice in the thermos?
>>
Get eggs in a paper carton, burn it when you're done?
>>
>>873840
>how to scramble eggs while hiking to your camp
>>
Eggs coated in oil won't spoil. As long as no air gets in, they're good. Not sure how to pack them though
>>
>>873840
This right here works.

I save back a dozen eggs from my chickens before a hike. Put them in the paper carton and put it at the top of my pack wraped in a shirt.

When I use 2 for breakfast I just off the extra packaging and toss it in the fire. Then wrap the rest back up and on with my hike.
>>
>>873877
It's never busted on you and gotten eggs all over your shit?
>>
>>873879
Fist don't strap your rain cover or what ever you have at the top of your pack down so tight that it crushes them.

Second WALK don't run and skip down the trail like a fairy about to get some dick.

Dear lord people do you throw your packs on the ground and kick them down the trail like a can?
>>
>>873825
As long as they have never been refrigerated
>>
Haven't tried this one personally yet but putting your eggs inside a Nalgene with rice as packing sounds like a good option. The downside is you can't carry very many inside. Maybe carry the raw ones inside the nalgene and carry extra hard boiled eggs in the top portion of your pack.

http://wegetoutside.ca/2012/08/how-to-a-better-way-to-carry-eggs-while-backpacking/
>>
>>873825
I own my own chickens. I pack them in an egg carton and put that into my stock pot with the other cooking supplies and ingredients. That's all. They stay good for weeks.
>>
>>873825
pocket eggs
>>
File: egg.jpg (123KB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
egg.jpg
123KB, 1136x640px
>>873825
>>
File: 1452436385018.jpg (155KB, 1148x435px) Image search: [Google]
1452436385018.jpg
155KB, 1148x435px
>>873882
>Dear lord people do you throw your packs on the ground and kick them down the trail like a can?

Pretty much. Other than myself and one other person, literally everyone I've ever seen huff a pack anywhere has thrown it around like a ragdoll or dropped it hard when taking it off. I have no clue why, but they always wine that ____ got broken "somehow!?"
>>
>>874225
The thing I don't get is one of the most common trail foods is banana and peanut butter on tortilla. I don't know about y'all but I can crush a banana with less force than an egg.
>>
>>874231
Might as well mash everything up into baby food.
Eat that trail schlop
>>
>>874231
>most common trail foods is banana and peanut butter on tortilla

I don't even. Are they 14yo?
>>
File: RUOfSrsBird.jpg (79KB, 1100x300px) Image search: [Google]
RUOfSrsBird.jpg
79KB, 1100x300px
>>874225
>literally everyone I've ever seen huff a pack anywhere has thrown it around like a ragdoll or dropped it hard when taking it off.
>they always wine that ____ got broken "somehow!?"
I often carry binos, a kindle or food like eggs with me, so I just got used to treating my rucksack like there were some invaluable ming vases inside all the time.

better be safe than sorry, especially since there are few legit scenarios where you *have* to throw your backpack around. so it's basically just people being idiots
>>
>>874287
Yeah, I treat my possessions with respect to myself. They are mine and I'd rather not buy more any time soon.
>>
>>874290
I wish I had the money to just buy new gear every time instead of acting like an adult.
>>
>>874221
The whole chicken? This is what your post says, grammatically speaking.
>>
>>874454
I've been waiting for this ever since I posted it. It is till correct grammar since the main subject is still eggs.
>>
i heard settlers used to keep eggs in a box of campfire ashes. keeps em pretty safe and preserves them for awhile i guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUYgguMz1qI useful video.
>>
File: 696008.jpg (23KB, 440x440px) Image search: [Google]
696008.jpg
23KB, 440x440px
Comes in 2, 6, 12.
>>
Also, if you're an Amerifat buy farmers market eggs, they'll last longer than grocery store eggs because the natural antibacterial coating hasn't been washed off.
>>
>>873825
>How do you pack eggs while backpacking, out?
you put them in an egg holder... eggs are fine for months if you don't wash them and keep them cool (not fridge cool just well under body temperature)
>>
>>874610
looks nice
>>
>>873857
>eggs in carton survive ride in truck over bumpy roads
>wont survive a day in your pack
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.