[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

book thread /out/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 11

File: lorax.jpg (49KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
lorax.jpg
49KB, 320x240px
book thread /out/
>>
>>873121
>>
Any Collins guide. Pick your subject.
>>
This was a fun read. Man the world was different back then. . .

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/6317/6317-h/6317-h.htm
>>
File: Carolina_Wren_591297_i0.jpg (14KB, 370x265px) Image search: [Google]
Carolina_Wren_591297_i0.jpg
14KB, 370x265px
>>873121
I like my Peterson's Guide for N. American birds but it was a gift and I'm not sure if there are better alternatives. I'm not an avid birdwatcher but I make it a point to keep an eye out when I'm fishing or the sort. I also have a bunch of feeders (thistle, suet, mixed seed, peanut and so on) and tend to feed the birds better than myself. I can't always been onnawater or innawoods so sitting on my steps with a glass of whiskey or wine and watching my feeders has always been a great way to unwind during the work-week. The guide makes for a neat checklist and gives me things to watch out for, plus I've identified a number of birds I've never been certain of.

Also
>TEAKETTLE TEAKETTLE TEAKETTLE!!!
>GERMANY GERMANY GERMANY!!!
>>
Cache Lake Country - Life in the North Woods
by John J. Rowlands

From the NYT Book Review:
--------------
... Rowlands went into the Canadian wilderness, “in the Snow Goose Lake Country,” up the Manitoupeepagee River, as a timber cruiser. As he traveled the country, he came to a lake that gripped his imagination. “I have seen maybe a thousand northern lakes, and they all look alike in many ways, but there was something different about that little lake that held me hard.” He built a log cabin on the lake, which he named Cache Lake, and his story unfolds in the wilderness with his friends, Chief Tibeash, a Cree Indian, and Henry Kane, an illustrator whose work appears in the book.

The book is loosely organized by seasons. Here’s the opening to the May chapter:

“When May comes to the north country it reminds me of a fawn walking out of the woods alone for the first time, wide-eyed and uncertain about what to do next. A timid month is May, and not sure of itself, for though the days may be warm, the nights are often sharp with frost and sometimes windowpane ice comes on the coves. Once in a while we have a snow flurry – “robin snow,” we call it.”

“Cache Lake Country” is a gem for many reasons – a simple narrative, the ways in which it conveys the work-a-day joys and exertions of life in the wilderness, the woodscraft techniques it illustrates, and the slow and pleasurable way in which the soul of a serene man is revealed. In the introduction to the edition that was given to me (The Countryman Press), Verlyn Klinkenborg, not a mean writer himself, calls it the best book ever written."
----------

Highly recommended.
>>
Obligatory.
>>
File: 51Z1kVYnfqL.jpg (53KB, 335x500px) Image search: [Google]
51Z1kVYnfqL.jpg
53KB, 335x500px
this
>>
File: 51r4otI7FaL.jpg (43KB, 326x500px) Image search: [Google]
51r4otI7FaL.jpg
43KB, 326x500px
>>
File: into thin air.gif (93KB, 304x475px) Image search: [Google]
into thin air.gif
93KB, 304x475px
...I think Krakauer's "Into the Wild" sucks, though. Why would anyone want to read about the failure of some idiot hippie outdoorsman wannabee for 224 pages?

"Next chapter: Oh look, he's still dumb and full of fail!"

Fuck that. I deal with too many retards in real life.
>>
>>
List for kids:

The Sign of the Beaver
by Elizabeth George Speare

Hatchet
by Gary Paulsen

Big Red
Snow Dog
Haunt Fox
Lion Hound
Stormy
...and pretty much anything else by Jim Kjelgaard
>>
File: 13233987702.jpg (187KB, 935x1500px) Image search: [Google]
13233987702.jpg
187KB, 935x1500px
A great trapping and wilderness book.
>>
Finished up the Revenant last week.

The movie was better.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.