[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Virginia/Kentucky hunting for a Canadian

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: Hog-Hunting-300x199[1].jpg (15KB, 300x199px) Image search: [Google]
Hog-Hunting-300x199[1].jpg
15KB, 300x199px
Hey guys,

I'm a Canadian interested in going to the US this December (say from the 25th to January 5th) to possiblity hunt whitetail/boar/roe deer with my wife.

- How does Crossbow hunting work for Virginia/Kentucky or nearby states? I saw that most allow it till January 15th

- Being a poorfag, how can I get in contact with someone who owns land so I can rent it for a week? I'll bring my own gear and a camper, I just need a place to do it. Outfitters might be too expensive, I'm seeing 1k for 2 people ...

- Can I use public land and if yeah then how? Any maps available out there?

It'd be really good if I could escape harsh winter here and go for some fall-like season hunting!
>>
>>872701
Well, I'm in Georgia.
>most state public land hunts are by lottery/raffle. But they also work by a point system, so if you don't get picked this year, you skip ahead of people next year, until you're eventually guaranteed a slot after a couple years if you don't get picked.
>there are restrictions on using rifle during bow season, but bows can be used during rifle season.
>Canadian/out of state tags are expensive. I might pay $50, you're going to pay $250-$500 depending on state/tag type.
>my local hunting clubs are $1,000 a year for membership.
>no idea on how to find a land owner. Everybody around here is basically "locked in" to whatever they have going on. My neighbors sons have had massive family fights over using their deer stand, hunting grounds are protected and coveted. We have Floridians here constantly for the club owned land, but local land is saved for uncles or old college roommates.
>>
>>872724
Oh ya.
Whitetail deer are a precious commodity.
Wild boar are a nuiscence.
No bag limit, no age/gender restrictions, open season all year long.
You might even find a farmer that will pay you to kill them.

A friend who works forestry was invited on a hunt next spring.
Free cabin, all we have to do is bring guns, ammo and food.
>>
>>872724
>Georgia
>250-500$
Damn man, that's expensive.
I read up some info on Public Hunting Lands for Virginia State Parks and here's what I've gathered:

- Anyone can enter public lands with a 18$ license
- Hunting archery permit for non-resident is 30$
- Deer license is 100$

Limit of 6 deer (2 per day) out of which at most half are does.

Primitive camping is allowed for the duration of the outdoor activity (tent trailer is OK).

Does it sound too good to be true?

For around 500$, I get to camp for 2 weeks and hunt deer.
It's like a wet dream
>>
Can confirm that anon. I'm a VA resident and I utilize a local public wildlife management area for those reasons. The thing that will fuck you in the end will be having to buy a nonresident hunting license with all applicable add-ons. They are more expensive for nonresident.
>>
>>872919
Let me add that you can go to VDGIF website and download Google Earth kml files related to your interests.
>>
>>872919
>>872923
Sweet anon. Thanks for the info.
I've got a question though, are the public lands "divided" and occupied by local residents? Meaning, If I go put my treestand on a sweet spot is someone going to come over and slash my tires for having taken "his" spot?
It happens all the time on Crown Land (public lands) here in Canada. Folks take care of their spots for generations and are generally very aggressive towards "tresspassers".
I'm afraid that a Canadian coming to hunt on VA land would piss a lot of people off.
How does taking spots work on public lands? You just go there and pick a spot and hunt?
Also, if SHTF, is there a park ranger you can call?

Thanks!
>>
>>872726

>Whitetail deer are a precious commodity.

Most of the US is overrun with deer. Its not uncommon for me to have 5 in my front yard at night and I live in a subdivision
>>
>>873182
The ones that I am familiar with are not like that. I've never seen an established hunting stand on these lands unless they are a blinds on the water. There is a regulation against erecting permanent structures on public land. To be honest, I've only ever seen other people where I go on two occasions. Like the other poster mentioned, down here, hunting land is nothing less than sacred. Public access lands are pretty chill though and the worst part is having to run into other users.
>>
>>873182
There are DGIF officials that check in on areas (never come across one personally) but I would suggest that you find the number of the local sheriff/police department. They will be able to respond to a situation much faster.
>>
>>873605
>>873609
I appreciate the info and advice anon.
I'll post my results on /out/ end of December or beginning January!

Honestly hunting seems to be 100x more chill in the US than in Canada.
You guys have lifetime hunting licenses, 6 deer limit per year, no limit on hogs, etc. You could literally go hunting every weekend. Makes me wanna immigrate.
>>
>>873227
I didn't mean to imply that they're rare, they're just thought of as one of the most important elements of the area.

Road between my friends house and mine is 55mph.
I'll drive it at 35-40 because here's so many deer out and about. I think ive done the drive twice in 2 years and not seen atleast one deer. They're on my lawn nightly (I'm sure they hang out in my forest).
>>872739
Damn- Virginia is nice to out-of-staters.
I think ga is crazy high because we get so many people from Florida.

http://www.eregulations.com/georgia/hunting/hunting-licenses-fees/

To hunt deer you need a hunting license AND a big game license.
>resident hunting license- $10
>non-resident- $100

>resident big game- $9
>non-resident- $195

>Trapping- $35/$295
>Gator- $50/$200

At least we have a veteran lifetime license that covers everything except federal migratory bird stamps. One time price of $400 and you're covered until you die.
>>
Oh this is cool.
They actually have a website where they pair up hunters and farmers with wild hogs.
Hunters helping farmers.

http://georgiawildlife.com/HHF
>>
And I think I was mistaken on the lottery for public land use for deer.
Looks like its only for gator, anyone can use public land if they purchase yet another license for deer ($19 resident, $73 non-resident-)
>>
>>873653
Any time, good luck this season.
>>
>>872701
I think Wyoming is cheaper. I know an out of state tag costs 125USD, not sure if it's more for a non-citizen tho.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.