[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Day hike food

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 9

File: download.jpg (18KB, 274x184px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
18KB, 274x184px
Sup /out/. Going on my first day hike this week and I don't really know what food to bring. Looking for some suggestions.
>>
>>871722
>day hike
just bring a cliff bar or a sandwich
>>
File: dowhatyoumust.jpg (68KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
dowhatyoumust.jpg
68KB, 720x540px
>>871722
I like fried chicken, just make sure to wrap it well so the grease doesn't get on the rest of your shit.

Bring napkins.
>>
Some trailmix, oatmeal, Harvest Crunch shits amazing, really whatever you want.
>>
File: IMG_2295.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2295.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>871722
>>
>>871722
One part raisins, two parts peanuts. Mix in gallon Ziploc bag. GORP.
Good
Old
Raisins and
Peanuts
That will be sufficient to keep you from starving to death. Then again, so would nothing at all. It's a day hike, gorp plus water and you're g2g.
>>
I'm allergic to peanuts. What's a good mix of foods to bring like trail mix that won't kill me halfway through a hike?
>>
>>871839
Replace peanuts with another protein/fat source, like pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, flaxseed or hempseed. You could also use roasted chickpeas (garbanzo beans) if you wanted to.
>>
Packet of muesli, tube of condensed milk. Add muesli to cup, pour in hot water and wait for it to soften, when softened not not too watery add in condensed milk. A very simple but filling hot meal. If you cant be bothered cooking then plain flour fajita wraps, speak with cream cheese, lay out cooked chicken, salad and sauce then top with some kind of stronger cheese, cheddar etc.. A few of them with a flask of tea and a snack bar makes a good lunch that will keep well.
>>
>>871839
Maybe nature is trying to tell you something?

I kid, I kid! Replace the offending peanuts with pumpkin seeds like >>871846
said. It's October, after all.
>>
It doesn't matter what you bring or not, it's only a day. Bring a salad, a sandwich, a thermos of soup, whatever. You're not going on an endurance hike or anything big. Any food wil do. A few snacks might be helpfull though. A fruit, a cereal bar, even chocolate.

What matters is what you do with your garbage after you've finished eating.
>>
File: 11401545495_3a97070feb_b.jpg (72KB, 480x319px) Image search: [Google]
11401545495_3a97070feb_b.jpg
72KB, 480x319px
Bread, butter,salami, cheese, grapes, water and wine.

I also bring pic related and some coffee.
>>
>>872620
Those Moka pots are pretty heavy have you considered getting an aero press? Super light and desu the coffee is way better too lol
>>
File: 1464518637479.jpg (261KB, 581x581px) Image search: [Google]
1464518637479.jpg
261KB, 581x581px
>>872624
300g extra weight isn't a problem on a day hike for me.

Are you a child?
>>
>>872635
For day hikes only sure the weight isn't as much of an issue, the more relevant half of my argument which you haven't touched is that the Moka pot coffee is just shite compared.
>>
File: image_3.jpg (2KB, 93x125px) Image search: [Google]
image_3.jpg
2KB, 93x125px
>>872640
Compaeed to your plastic gadget? M8, Bialettis are around for 80 years, guess why.

Confirmed for manchild, hairless chest possibly.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (38KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
38KB, 480x360px
biltong
>>
>>872642
Your argument of "it's new so it can't be better" is flawed. I have both devices. One is clearly better. Go ahead, call me a kid again without addressing my argument whatsoever. It makes your point well I'm sure
>>
>>871722
>Day hike food

Same thing I eat when I'm home. You can prep it at home or on the trail if you want to spend extra time prepping and cooking on the trail.

Try pepperoni rolls or even calzones.
>>
File: bialetti_moka_express-large.jpg (40KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
bialetti_moka_express-large.jpg
40KB, 300x300px
>>872656
Seems like "it doesn't have an established track record of 80 years" argument to me. Why buy new when something old works just as well? Seems like a waste.
>>
>>872649
MY NIGGA
>>
I live off pasta sides, packaged tuna/chicken/spam, deli meat and cheese if it's cool outside, snickers bars, oatmeal, and I carry a small bottle of olive oil for extra calories
>>
>>872826
The Moka pot you linked has a critical flaw in that the water must be heated with the grounds already in the apparatus. This means the grounds are brought to temperature gradually rather than being introduced to brewing temperature water like in just about every modern brewing setup. This means the beans burn over the heat-up period and create off flavors in the final product. Add to that that it produces a final product with a ton of coarse ground material left over in the drink due to not being filtered and you get bad coffee no matter what you do. Just because it's been around for a long time definitely doesn't mean it's great. If you don't care about the taste then whatever, I was just suggesting something that allows more control over every single variable that matters when making coffee that isn't bad tier. In addition, the Moka pot has a pressure valve in it that can become blocked from coffee grounds or other obstructions, which would make it explode
>>
>>872853
I didn't link anything. How are you so inept as to be burning your coffee grounds?

>explode

Morons who don't use a filter nor keep their pots clean have that happen. Using a tool incorrectly and not properly maintaining it is what retards do.

This is on the tard level of complaining about how you can't get your cast iron skillet clean without a brillo pad.
>>
>>872656
Your argument is flawed, one is better based on YOUR OWN PERCEPTION ONLY.

KILL YOURSELF.
>>
>>872624
>aero press
>he wants leeched plastic flavor coffee and non-durable coffee maker

Shill
>>
>>872887
Aeropress is fucking junk. Never again.
>>
>>871722
If it's a day hike it really doesn't matter. Bring whatever you like
>>
>>872885
You posted a picture of the moka pot. Would be much better with a filter, but the design of the apparatus itself forces you to burn the grounds no matter what you do. Maybe you just don't mind pleb coffee?

>>872887
>hating on cooking grade plastic
>recommending something made out of ALUMINUM as safer

Enjoy your alzheimers

>>872888
Most people don't use them exactly as instructed, but instead invert the press and let the grounds steep in less-than-boiling water of ~180F before pressing
>>
>>872964
>ALUMINUM SCARY, PLASTIC BETTAH
Shill harder, faggot. I prefer not having petroleum byproducts leak into my coffee, thanks.

For the record, I just boil coarse grounds in my cookpot and filter them out with my teeth as I drink the delicious sludge. Maybe you should live a little more.
>>
File: image.png (186KB, 393x352px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
186KB, 393x352px
>>872656
Wrong mate, you got the dude very wrong.

>>872853
The amount of exploding Bialettis is staggering. Their owners bodys line the streets.
>>
Any of you guys do bulletproof coffee? I've been drinking "bulletproof tea" lately. ie. I make a cup of tea and mix two tablespoons of coconut oil and unsalted butter into it.
It's good for about 438 Calories and 49.4 grams of fat.

Actually this wouldn't taste so great on the trail because you've got no blender. I've made it without a blender though: it's drinkable.
>>
>>873203
That sounds tasty. But why not use only butter?
>>
Just bring a Subway sub and some Gatorade packets. Maybe some trail mix to snack on.

Also, what will you be doing? Just hiking? I go on 4-7 day fishing trips and don't carry much because I'll be eating fish. But when I go on hiking/camping trails, I pack much more.
>>
>>871722
On a day hike just pack a lunch like a little kid going to school...
>>
>>873195
your picture frightens me
wtf is that thing
>>
make your own trail mix is always a winner and since you pick whats in it you will like it. raisins are clutch becasue they keep you from needing to poop.

i make 3 (because someone always forgets food) bigish sandwiches and wrap them in aluminum foil that ill eat for lunch. i keep it simple so it stays easy on the stomach.

then two apples and/or 2 bananas if its not buggy out.
>>872888
>>872887
>>872624
i love my aero press-- i use it to filter my coldbrew but on a hike i swear by this

https://www.amazon.com/Maxim-Korean-Instant-Coffee-sticks/dp/B019B9019K/ref=pd_lpo_325_tr_t_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=3YHFDV4ZR67MD3NZAJJX&th=1

some crazy vet who married a woman he met in korea introduced me to it. its fucking perfect for the trail.
>>
>>874151
do craisins work as good as raisins?
>>
>>874151
>maxim instant sticks
I've visited korea and I have no damn idea where the hell they come from, even a pavilion in the middle of the mountains had a water cooler with a hot button and a box of the stuff. Bizarre shit.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.