[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Primitive Technology

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

File: Screenshot_2016-10-08-16-43-03.jpg (3MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-10-08-16-43-03.jpg
3MB, 2560x1440px
>Search catalog for primitive technology
>no thread

Even /tv/ has a thread for the new vid

https://youtu.be/rrlr02YDr5A
>>
>>871598
Primitive is the only way to truly go /out/
>>
>>871602
I think it would be an interesting experience to go /out/ for a few months and see how far you could go doing nothing but primitive tech. You go with the clothes on your back and that's it. With the intent of making your own clothes at some point.
It's like irl age of empires.
>>
>>871598
went out and tried it. It's pretty impressive how far he gets that thing to go. you can really get some force into the throw though.
>>
>>871602
Considering all the things he has built so far, it's a pretty good living.
We have to back lads, back 2000 years ago and start over.
>>
i thought he was going to show improvements by adding feathers, oh well
>>
>>871598
I used to use an atlatl for a short time. Pretty neat and easy to make. Hard to source the materializes for spear here due to trees being all gnarly and shit.
>>
>>871617
and yet his throw is quite weak. notice how his arm doesnt straighten on the pre throw backwards cocking position. I dont think his spear thrower adds much if any extra force than a normal throw.
>>
>>871669
look around 3:20 old aboriginal guy, he knows what hes doing, he gets a more full backwards extension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBI6-vpp0Bg
>>
>>871669
Show us how it's done then. Upload a video.
>>
>>871684
see>>871673
>>
In during I want to fuck him because he's my husbando
>>
>>871669

Yeah, he's throwing like it's his first time or something. What a fag!
>>
Pottery wheel when
>>
>>871669
>I dont think his spear thrower adds much if any extra force than a normal throw.

Physics says otherwise regardless.
>>
>>871784
of course but the way hes using it my normal throw without the spear thrower would be equal to his
t. ex javelin athlete and spear master
>>
>>871787
The way you measure it is against his unaided spear through against the atlatl-assisted throw. Not you against him. Because the latter is meaningless.
>>
>>871790
>through

I swear to god I hate autocomplete. I had to undo the second "throw" but missed the first.
>>
>>871790
yes a comparison like that wouldve been great to show the power of the device
>>
I fucking love the guy. Watching his videos is like half fascination, half meditation.
>>
>>871787
So what you're saying is that with a little thought and ingenuity, a complete novice is able to perform at the level of a "javelin athlete and spear master"? Sounds like a useful tool to me.
>>
>>871787
You're a fucking idiot.
See
>>871931

>>871823
It's max comfy
>>
>tried his rope twining technique the other day
>have been twining things every since

It's addicting as hell.
>>
>>871931
>>871975
not saying that at all, if youd stop getting your little pink panties in a twist youd acknowledge what im saying

a half cocked arm means the spear thrower is only making up for the missing arm extension.

therefore its not delivering any extra force that a normal , full force throw without the spear thrower will provide
>>
>>872188
Which isn't at all true. Simply not fully extending won't reduce it that much. In fact, there's no way you can reduce it to that point and still be able to throw it with the atlatl.
>>
>>871632
Fuck off you fallen angel shit lord. Man is a rising beast meant to spread civilization across the universe. Go back 71 years and pick up where Lil Addie left off.
>>
File: 1466432355528.png (48KB, 882x549px) Image search: [Google]
1466432355528.png
48KB, 882x549px
>>872195
Man will never successfully colonize another planet in our solar system. If we are lucky, we'll have O'Neill Cylinders. If we are extremely lucky we will have generation ships that can travel fast enough to other star systems. Though, I doubt our species will make it that far.

But, there's nothing at all wrong with knowing where we came from and what it took to get this far.
>>
this video has been awarden the Kaczinsky Seal Of ApprovalĀ®
>>
>>872191
you are right, i was just being pedantic and looking for banter
its not easy to use those things
>>
>>872241
I fucking hate that infographic.

Scientific development doesn't regress. It's utilization and public availability might be suppressed due to religious or political reasons, but they never go away as long as one book containing the knowledge of it is kept.

Considering that we still have historically accurate records of what was discovered during the so-called dark ages, then nothing of value was lost. It's not like someone invented the steam machine and then the church came and was like "NO" and then it was only to be rediscovered several centuries later.
>>
>>872482
I'm most butthurt about the burning of the Library of Alexandria.
I wonder how much we lost due to writing not even being invented yet. Gives me a bit of anxiety desu.
>>
>>872562
We can only wonder, but I believe we would have extensive records of early kingdoms in Africa.
>>
>>872575
WE
>>
>>872576
and here comes the shitposting
>>
File: Aeolipile.jpg (11KB, 189x351px) Image search: [Google]
Aeolipile.jpg
11KB, 189x351px
>>872482
Yo misunderstand. Lost technology is lost when someone hordes it and doesn't allow anyone to use it at all. It is lost when it is stored in some dusty library never to be used until 50 years later it gets reinvented or someone finally finds the book.

If you don't use the technology or your civilization turns to ash, you lose a great deal of advancement.

>It's not like someone invented the steam machine and then the church came and was like "NO" and then it was only to be rediscovered several centuries later.

It is exactly like that. The aeolipile was the first steam engine in the first century AD. That technology was lost until the late 1600s. The technology behind the antikythera mechanism was also lost and rediscovered.

Now what the church did wasn't to stop advancement, but to tightly control it. This massive restriction and acidic environment lead to less development and the loss of previous advancements due to their being shelved by the church. All things that helped the church were of course allowed, the biggest being the printing press. Which helped to end the dark ages after 1450. The printing press is one of the big things pro-religious people use as an argument that the church did not suppress technology during the dark ages, yet it seems they also don't know when the dark ages ended and when the printing press was invented.
>>
>>871632
2000 years ago the Romans were wreaking shit all over Europe. Try 10,000 for pre agriculture
>>
>>872597
The Church didn't suppress the steam engine, a society built on slave labor was simply blind to its application.
>>
>>872482
STEM CELL
>>
>>872643
>missing the point
>>
>>872597
>tightly control scientific advancement
>the technology encouraged and promoted leads to the end of the ones trying to maintain control

Pure pottery

> Inb4 it's poetry retard
>>
File: pottery.jpg (99KB, 659x659px) Image search: [Google]
pottery.jpg
99KB, 659x659px
>>873172
Why would it be poetry? :0)
>>
this guy is a god. i freak out every time he makes a new video. did you see the fucking recent forge. starts out with a fucking stick and then turns it into a legit machine out of mud and twigs capable of melting iron, wtf
>>
>>872241
>Dark Christian Ages
Name one medieval scientist repressed by the church. And don't get started in "everyone was too scared to practice science".
>>
>>871787
Do you have over 300 confirmed hits?
>>
>>871602
I really disagree with that, what he does is basically related to shit like history and archeology perhaps, what he makes is the sort of shit you can see in museums.
But his videos are not about enjoying the outdoors, going on adventures or anything like that.
>>
>>874646
Galileo, murdered by kikes on spikes
>>
>>874598
Yeah, it's amazing. And educational.
>>874711
Kek
>>874716
>But his videos are not about enjoying the outdoors, going on adventures or anything like that.
Of course they are.
>>
>>874867
>galileo
>16th century

>was actively being a cunt to the church at all times and was being shitty to the pope to his face

Gee who would've thought?

Now can you name any actual medieval scientists?
>>
>>872562
Reminder that there was no >the< burning of the Library of Alexandria

There were several
>>
>>872597
>acidic environment
Don't use buzzwords and elaborate
>>
>>874963
Really? That makes me even more pissed.
>>
>>871673
It is worth bearing in mind that the Aboriginals are exceptional at this as it is right of passage for men in communities that still keep these traditions going. Remember that it was the role of aboriginal men to hunt game such as kangaroo with these simple weapons so you had to be both a powerful throw and an accurate shot. I think that this guys video is still decent, he shows the basic mechanism of the tool and I doubt he will actually use this to hunt.
>>
>>875339
Yeah, google is your friend

One is even believed to be accidental

People love to blame Christians for burning down the library, but what few people realise is that the whole history regarding the library is a clusterfuck. Even before christians had anything to do with it, the library was called "destroyed" by some sources, and the final burning of it was done by Muslims some time later.

When people mention the Library in any discussion regarding religion, I get massively fucking pissed. It's a telltale sign of people not knowing what the fuck they're talking about and just throwing up the shit they were force-fed with on the internet
>>
>>875484
Didn't know about the accidental fire. Looks like I have some googling to do.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.