[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to tie a tent and sleeping bag to my pack?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

Got a redwing 50L recently. How can I securely... well, secure it to my pack?
>>
Get a bigger pack.
>>
>>870534
what I do with normal backpacks, is attach a carabiner to each shoulder strap, and then attach the secondary bag to both biners. this works either top or bottom of shoulder strap.
>>
Anyone have experience with military hiking backpacks?
I'm thinking of investing in one because the molle is great for expandable storage.

Any recommendations?
>>
>>870534
I cringe every time I see someone with a big ass bag and tent like that. Get a down bag, a good one, and a cuben fiber tent. You won't have to put anything outside because it will all fit in the pack
>>
>>870550
I'm a college student so money's not exactly at my leisure. I'm just trying to work with what I got.
>>
Easiest thing to do is get another backpack that will fit your tent and sleeping bag and wear that on your front and the redwing on your back.

Best thing to do is get better gear. $1000 or so us all you need for top of the line ultralight gear. Get a job over Christmas or stop smoking cock or whatever you college boys do.
>>
First off get a better stuff sack for your sleeping bag. Second you have cord and loops on your bag. Just put the cord through the loops for your tent and hitch your sleeping bag draw string to your beaner
>>
>>870540
What's your budget, how long will you want to be out without resupply and how good are you at carrying shit? These are questions that must be answered before any advice.
>>
>>870745
>actual /out/ advice.

See if you can use your sleepingbag as a liner of sorts for your backpack, it might end up looking like a fucking mess and not work. If it does fit and doesnt eat up all the bag space then try and tie the tent along the top above the rear pocket if it weighs <10lbs. If more secure it along the bottom but keep it close and above your ass.

If sleeping bag does not inside tie it above tent on the bottom portion of the bag.

Techniques and design vary on how to do it, shit will look jank but if it's secure and the weight is distributed along your hips and not your shoulders then it doesn't matter much. Snagging on branches or getting rips in the bag may be an issue with external ties.

Use ropes and compression straps if beaners don't work.
>>
File: IMG_20160912_131912.jpg (5MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160912_131912.jpg
5MB, 4032x3024px
>>870555
And thats ok, fuck the snobs.

Well, you take string and tie the heavy stuff on top and the light stuff to the bottom.

I guess the sleeping bag can go inside when compressed and if you don't bring a kitchen sink.

Pic related, i can fit everyrhing inside, except my sleeping pad (4 weeks alps, 50l pack as well)
>>
>>870555
Look for a Kelty external frame pack around yard sales and thrift stores. You can usually get one for about $20 or less and it'll carry all your gear plus have room to strap your tent and sleeping bag. Recommend a pack cover for rain though.
>>
>>870534
> not buying ultralight tent and sleeping bag.
What are you, some poorfag plebian?
>>
>>870540
can "molle is great for expandable storage" be a hot new /out/ meme?
>>
>>870540
Yes, in the military.

You are retard for buying one for a variety of reason, but mainly because the webbing and external bags will weight more than just buying a bigger proper hiking bag. Not to mention the cheap heavy materials and poorly thought out design these kinds of bags almost invariably have.

Stop cosplaying as a /k/ommando and buying a hiking backpack like everyone else faggot
>>
>>870534
Just watched this:

youtu.be/5e0RacBvd3E

The guy talking seems dead. His grin is so artificial. OH GOD! I THINK HES A COMPUTER ANIMATION!
>>
File: 27.jpg (65KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
27.jpg
65KB, 800x600px
>>870534
since you're trying to hold three or four relatively squishy shapeless things together while they bounce around, i'd suggest bungees.
>>
File: 90703909.jpg (180KB, 736x1082px) Image search: [Google]
90703909.jpg
180KB, 736x1082px
>>870534
>How to tie a tent and sleeping bag to my pack?
wake up its.. already 2016.
>>
>>870534
have you considered just stuffing the bag inside your pack? It fills out the empty spaces, and just leaves you you're tent to deal with.
>>
Why would you tie a tent inside a backpack? What's the point?
>>
>>870534
that seems like a pretty big tent ? you can fit an inexpensive 2 man tent you can find at a regular sporting goods store on that bag.

if you can store your tent poles separate you can put your tent in another bag and see if it fits inside your pack.

you can separate the polls
>>
>>871986

Because its more efficient to have your equipment inside your bag and carried as close to your centre of gravity as possible. It compromises your balance and wastes energy having things strapped onto the outside of your pack.

I pack my tent into the bottom of my pack in a "U" shape, poles and pegs go in the corners next to the internal frame, then I pack my sleeping bag into the "U" and everything else fits on top of that, compressing the sleeping bag as I pack. Most packs open at the bottom so you don't have to unpack your pack to get your tent out when you're ready to make camp.
>>
Thats a crazy big tent and sleeping bag famalam. Just use rope and do some nots and tying. thats what I did for a few hikes when I was carrying 2 peoples gear and my 65L was struggling. Shits awkward af on the outside tho; next time just get smaller packing gear so it can all go inside
>>
>>870536

50L is way more than enough for an overnighter. I use a 38L for up to 3 nights including a good amount of food.

It's worth noting however that some packs are inefficiently designed and make poor use of the volume they have. Too many small, useless pouches and pockets for example.
>>
>>870540
I've an Eberlestock G4 that hasn't seen nearly enough abuse. Damned fine pack but it really needs a rifle or something to fill the rifle compartment; compression straps at the least. Anything to eat up the sway that the compartment creates whilst empty. That aside it has been as phenomenal as it was expensive.

Bungied side pockets are great for water bottles or canteens. The long, zippered side pockets accommodate my tripod and sighting scope without issue. I've MOLLE'd a tear-away IFAK to the belt for quick access but the face of the pack is more than adequate to strap an bulkier, full medkit for the qualified who wish to carry one. Between the belt, face and sides there is enough webbing to satisfy the most compulsive types who need an individual holster or bag for any given purpose. The central compartment is wide-open and accessible from either the top of the pack or via zipper on the front. Built-in, replaceable rain-cover is included and stows away at the bottom of the pack. Plus whoever it is that makes their 3L hydration bladder (I forget the name of the company at the moment) appeared extremely reputable based on the research I did prior to purchasing it (It is sold separately). Plus the gap between the two front-face compartments is a rifle-rest by design. During trips to the range I find it is the feature I enjoy the most.

All that aside I haven't bothered looking into Mystery Ranch, Kifaru or any of the other big name tac-pack producers so I might be missing out on something. I just know Eberlestock wasn't a total break-the-bank investment for myself and I've been pleased thus far.
>>
File: 1470345377566.png (143KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1470345377566.png
143KB, 640x480px
>>873565
hhill, pls!
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.