[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any advice on running in icy conditions?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

Any advice on running in icy conditions?
>>
Don't fall.
>>
yes, don't
>>
move someplace that doesn't freeze
>>
File: run-bottom-middle[1].png (100KB, 247x268px) Image search: [Google]
run-bottom-middle[1].png
100KB, 247x268px
>>870382
Yaktrax run version (the ones with coils on the back and carbide tips on the front, not the ones with wire coils all over) have worked really well for me.
>>
File: screw1.jpg (481KB, 640x510px) Image search: [Google]
screw1.jpg
481KB, 640x510px
>>870382
Screw Shoes like your pic work very well but I studded the whole shoe, heel to toe.
http://skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

Or sometimes I'll carry >>870503 if I'm not sure how icy it will be.

>>870451
I tried that once. It's boring. Winter is fun.
>>
>>870382
crossfitfag detected
>>
File: IMG2043_-L.jpg (108KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG2043_-L.jpg
108KB, 450x600px
Ice studs.
>>
>>870524
>version (the ones with coils on the back and carbide tips on the front, not the ones with wire coils all over) have worked really well for me.

I would fear that they pierce through the sole and hurt my feet.
>>
>>870661
good idea, will try once it gets icy out there
>>
>>870758
>I would fear that they pierce through the sole and hurt my feet.
The screws? They don't. I've been using them for years.
>>
>>870382
dont
>>
>>870382
yes, do something more useful. why not make a basket and fill it with ham, or even better, go into your living room and throw gravy everywhere
>>
File: DSC_0619.jpg (899KB, 1400x884px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0619.jpg
899KB, 1400x884px
I use Hillsound microspikes
>>
>>871299
I don't... what
>>
>>870382
Yea, make sure get your wrist set by the doc when you break it.
>>
File: screw shoe.jpg (233KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
screw shoe.jpg
233KB, 750x1000px
>>874121
I can run on smooth ice with these >>870524 and it's safer than running in the rain. Also studded a pair of hiking shoes for walking on shore ice in the winter.
>>
>>870524
>>874146
I've done this. It fucking sucks. Sure it is great if you are ice fishing on a lake, but the instant you touch anything like concrete or asphalt you are fucking skating.

>>870503
>>871310
These are far better. You can slip them on and off in a jiffy for whatever terrain.
>>
>>874182
I never noticed that, maybe it depends on the screw pattern you use. I usually only use them when it's bad enough the paths in the park are mostly covered with ice and hardpack, but I still have to walk down to the park on pavement and there are usually still some bare sections, and the only problem I've noticed is noise.

Yaktrax and similar are good for mixed conditions or to bring just in case but I find if you use them a lot, the springy rubber bits can break and the carbide studs fall out (the latter are replaceable but it's still annoying).

I've also tried Stabilicers and they're nice and grippy but invariably one of them slips off my foot and if I don't notice in time, it gets lost, they really need a velcro top strap like the yaktrax.
>>
Microspikes have lasted longer than any other brand traction ware I have tried.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.