[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It Belongs in a Museum

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

File: Missing_Treasure_Hunter-0a77d.jpg (273KB, 1484x1517px) Image search: [Google]
Missing_Treasure_Hunter-0a77d.jpg
273KB, 1484x1517px
Treasure hunting thread
>Gold miners
>Gold panners
>Prospectors
>Archaeologists
>Metal Detectors
>Geocachers

>How do I be Indiana Jones?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_missing_treasure
http://www.treasurenet.com/
http://money.usnews.com/money/personal-finance/articles/2013/10/11/how-to-be-a-modern-day-treasure-hunter
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Trail_of_the_Golden_Owl
https://www.youtube.com/user/ghosttownhunter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCL6FKQZyoM

>Start slow by finding tupperware in the woods
https://www.geocaching.com/guide/

>Don't be this guy. RIP.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jul/26/randy-bilyeu-dead-new-mexico-treasure-hunter

What treasure related outdoor activities do you enjoy?
Post gear, finds, inspiration, tall tales, book and movie recommendations, etc.
>>
>>869960
Any ideas on the Fenn treasure?
I'm leaning towards the Red Desert/Great Divide Basin in Wyoming.
>>
>>869960
That feel when you will never find the spear of destiny
>>
>>869979
I have no clue. Literally since his book is so expensive on Amazon.
>>
>>869990
As I have gone alone in there
And with my treasures bold,
I can keep my secret where,
And hint of riches new and old.
Begin it where warm waters halt
And take it in the canyon down,
Not far, but too far to walk.
Put in below the home of Brown.
From there it’s no place for the meek,
The end is drawing ever nigh;
There’ll be no paddle up your creek,
Just heavy loads and water high.
If you’ve been wise and found the blaze,
Look quickly down, your quest to cease
But tarry scant with marvel gaze,
Just take the chest and go in peace.
So why is it that I must go
And leave my trove for all to seek?
The answers I already know
I’ve done it tired, and now I’m weak
So hear me all and listen good,
Your effort will be worth the cold.
If you are brave and in the wood
I give you title to the gold.

Fenn says the poem contains 9 clues and there were more added on his website
>Clue #10
The treasure is hidden higher than 5,000 feet above sea level.
>Clue #11
No need to dig up the old outhouses, the treasure is not associated with any structure.
>Clue #12
The treasure is not in a graveyard
>Clue #13
The treasure is not hidden in Idaho or Utah
>>
>>869991
Yea, it is expensive. But as >>869991 pointed out, all you need is the poem to find the chest.
>>
>>869960
I worked in the area once where the lost dutchman's mine is supposed to be located. It's in the superstition mountains near phoenix. There's definitely a lot of volcanic rock in that area and so gold seems like a possibility. There were strong copper deposits there which was what they had the mine there for.

Then the other one is called lost lemon mine and I fish in the area it's supposed to be in southern alberta. I think that's just a legend though because the geology of the rockies there isn't especially where you'd expect gold to be occurring.
>>
>>870003
Why hasn't some autist found it yet?
>>
>>870016
There are tons of people who have been tirelessly analyzing and searching for several years now, to no avail. I myself have been at it off and on for a couple years. I'm convinced the solution is simple, and yet no one can figure it out. Who knows what the solution is, or why it hasn't been solved, but Forrest Fenn has assured the searchers that the treasure is still out there, and hasn't yet been found.
>>
>>870007
Regarding the Dutchman mine, are there really head scalping Apaches in the mountains? I want to go searching myself, but was concerned.
>>
File: IMG_20120309_151633-1.jpg (8KB, 386x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20120309_151633-1.jpg
8KB, 386x360px
>>870020
Probably, I wouldn't risk it...
>>
>>870020
Its more likely inexperienced hikers getting snakebites or falling in old mine shafts.

Or drug dealers
>>
Aquachigger is a modern treasure hunter. He's found a ton of stuff but probably doesn't make enough money to treasure hunt full time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhceaO0hRgs
>>
I like WC Jamesons books Buried Treasures of Texas and Buried Treasures of the Southwest and all of those. I dont know how well researched they are but they work as a collection of western short stories too.
>>
>>869979
http://fennstreasure.com/
This guy has a good path laid out
>>
>>869960
If it seems old and valuable it belongs to a museom. Contact the authorities. We historians don't like to say it out loud but if it's of significant importance you will be compensated. If you keep making finds of historical significance a museum or a university may recognize your merits and hire despite your lack of degrees.
>>
>>870203
And before you get excited too much. We don't like telling people that they can be compensated because we want to discourage treasure hunting which most of the time causes more harm than good since amateurs rarely realize what is and what is not of significant importance. People look for gold or other valuable metals but sometimes a rusted nail may prove to be more valuable than a bar of gold. You never know if you find a rusted iron nail from what was supposed to be bronze age.
>>
>>870205
Fuck off you dirty communist
>>
>>870238
yea
>>
>>869979
It's in New Mexico, only reason I don't have it is because I need to get there in the first place.
>>
>>870130
If he's figured that much out, why hasn't he found the treasure?
>>
>>870374

Because that's where he drove from when he planted it?
>>
Ive been reading a lot of Fenn stuff and he keeps saying that you dont need special skills to decipher the poem, no ciphers or latin words or anything like that. He also suggested letting children read it.

Also supposedly people looking for it have at one point been within a few hundred feet of it, but he didn't say who or where.
>>
>>870459
The guy is a frail old geezer, do you think he's going to go halfway across the nation to plant a damn treasure?
>>
>tfw someone already found the treasure and didn't say anything, becoming one of the world's greatest time-waster trolls
>>
>>870767
I know the guy who did the golden owl mystery says he goes back to it now and then to make sure it hasn't been found yet.

>tfw there never really was any treasure and these authors are the trolls themselves.
>>
>>870374
This, its somewhere around phimont ranch and taos.
I am going next week to check the spot where I think it is.
If anyone wants me to check theirs, post it here and I will have a look.
Will post picks.
>>
Archaeology is NOT treasure hunting.

>>870203
Is absolutely correct, if you find something with historical significance, report to your local museums or universities.

Stop looting.
>>
>>869991
Ha.

Hahaha.

Oh God, it really is simple.

He's put it in the water under a waterfall in Yellowstone. Most likely Firehole Falls.
>"Begin it where warm waters halt"
Where Firehole Falls drop.
>"And take it in the canyon down"
Down. As in the direction down. Not down through the Firehole Canyon.
>"Not far, but too far to walk"
Not too far to swim.
>"Just heavy loads and water high"
Heavy gold in deep water.
>"If you’ve been wise and found the blaze,
>Look quickly down, your quest to cease"
Again, if you've been smart and found Firehole Falls, just dive down.
>"Your effort will be worth the cold"
The cold water.

Firehole Falls is in 6000ft above sea level. It's not a structure, it's not a graveyard, it's not in Idaho or Utah.

Enjoy the gold, faggots. Cap this post for when you find it.
>>
>>871365
Oh, and for the record, people have been within 400 feet of the place because they've been checking out the nearby rivers, but never Firehole Falls. At least no record on those infamous blogs refer to it.
>>
>>871365
Oh, and for the "home of Brown" thing? Brown Trout live in the Firehole River and Falls.
>>
>>871365
>>871367
>>871371
Okay, if it's not in the water, then it's DEFINITELY in that tiny cave across the water.
>>
>>871365
>>871367
>>871371
You glorious faggot, I hope you're right. I also hope you're wrong.
>ambivalence
>>
>>871376
Okay, some faggot from Thrill of the Chase have been to Firehole, but he just checked the area between the road and the water, not in the water or in the tiny cave across.
>>
File: thatfeelarino.png (29KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
thatfeelarino.png
29KB, 633x758px
>Live in one of the last nations to be settled by Humans, metalworking Europeans only arriving in the early 1800's
>Very low chance of ancient treasure

That being said my brother found a horses skull once.
>>
This Fenn Treasure have me intrigued.

So the dude said he would've died with his treasure if he hadn't overcome cancer. That points to the location being very personal to him. This is also backed up by the poem, where he asks people to just take the chest and leave, as to not disturb the place. He mentions that there's a fishing spot along the Madison River that he's the only one alive who knows about. He also talks about how his father would drive his family a couple hundred feet off a main road and drop off their gear, only to return hours later and find it still there, plus saying that treasure hunters have already been within a few hundred feet of the treasure. This makes me draw the conclusion that the treasure is hidden at that fishing spot, and that the fishing spot is a few hundred feet off a road running alongside the Madison River, most likely across the stream.

He also states that you "Begin it where warm waters halt" and "And take it in the canyon down". Given that the Firehole River runs out into the Madison River, and that the river then continues through a canyon, plus that he mentions that it's "Not far, but too far to walk", I believe the spot is between the end of Firehole River and Madison Arm. Why Madison Arm? Because he mentions it's "Below the home of Brown", and there's a FUCKLOAD of Brown Trout in Madison Arm.

Thoughts?
>>
>>871421
It's in NM
>>
>>871486
What makes you say that?
>>
>>871365
And when you go there and don't find it, you'll either say the treasure was never real or that someone else got to it first.

You should go anyway, the while point is getting people to plan cool adventures outdoors.
>>
Are there any Caribbean pirate treasures to be found?

I want to scuba for treasure
>>
>>869960
>It Belongs in a Museum
Fug, I read that in his voice.
>>
Oceanographica.net
>>
>>875010
Interesting
>>
bump for gold
>>
>>871421
Gotta love riddles
>where the warm water halts"
Engine coolant stops flowing when you park- where his father pulled a couple hundred feet off the road.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.