[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Uneasiness

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 11

File: images.jpg (32KB, 485x303px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
32KB, 485x303px
Serious question here. How do you guys deal with that uneasiness when your exploring some where new(or in general) by yourself.
I get the "out of comfort zone" stuff but is that really it?
>>
the people I know just don't go out into the woods without a gun.
>>
Where I tend to hike noone is there. More afraid I might injury myself then running into a stranger. To be honest just get comfortable enjoy the area. I normally look at trees and ID them as I walk. You get use to it. I carry bear spray as wolves, bears, cougars and lynx are very common here among other animals. No need for a firearm. I also carry a Esee 3 but thats more for harvesting cheeky nibbles as I walk.
>>
>>869701
I bring a doggo with me and cary a spear
>>
>>869701

I just bring my Marlin Model 1895 lever action. Chambered in .45-70, so it can handle any thing around here.
>>
American southwest here, I carry a .44 magnum or a 357 magnum.
>>
>>869701
suicidal thoughts help for solo trips.
>>
You're feeling uneasy for a reason. Chance are you're being watched by a sasquatch. Be careful.
>>
>>869701
i talk to myself out loud.

also part of that is yelling occasionally so as to spook off black bears that might be right around an hidden corner.

also focus on slow controlled breathing. my breathing becomes irregular when i get nervous. usually goes in sync with some stupid song stuck in my head and i don't know if that causes the anxiety or what but when i cut it out and concentrate on normal slow deep breaths i calm down.

respect the place you're at. if you have that mentality of "i mean you no harm" it will have no intention of harming you back.
>>
File: 1466353263612.jpg (28KB, 570x374px) Image search: [Google]
1466353263612.jpg
28KB, 570x374px
>>869749
>>
>>869701
I stop, close my eyes, and take a few good deep breaths. Calms me right down.
>>
I recognize that as the anxiety I sometimes experience. Fires are kick ass, but I let mine die as it gets dark, so my vision adjusts, and a drink relaxes me.

I feel no anxiety with a dog (she died a few years ago) or a human companion. Nothing. Goes completely away. I rarely camp completely alone.
>>
Is this a thing? I feel way more comfy innawoods than in public...
>>
>>870211
It is literally in our genes. Humans evolved as migratory creatures, walking 100s of miles over short periods of time. There are in fact very few mammals with the same endurance capacity as us. Over long distances human can actually out-perform horses. That said, Asians tend to get very nervous when they are alone/in nature/non crowded space. It's unclear if this is a genetic trait or if it's mostly conditioned by the environment and the fact that they live in very densely populated societies.
>>
>>869701
Pistol-grip 12ga Mossberg on side of pack, 10mm Glock 20 in drop leg, Ka-Bar Big Brother on left shoulder strap, plus a Winchester Safari gun in .375 H&H if in bear country. When laying camp I create a sharpened log pole barrier on all sides and string paracord through it to trip anything that might try to sneak through. I carry a couple of No. 4 coilsprings as well and put them around the tent. Sometimes I'll make punji stick traps, or build multiple fires around the campsite so I can throw lantern fuel molotovs if necessary. I also started using battery powered IR motion sensors last season that wake me up if anything crosses the first perimeter. Once I have enough money I'm going to get some FLIR goggles, too.

When hiking I constantly talk to myself in different voices about tactical things, liquor, and girls I've seen in Playboy so that any animal or human with malintent is led to believe that I'm not one person but a rogue squad of security contractors on a live ammo/weapons hot training mission where they're supposed shoot anything threatening as the training scenario is supposed to present them android enemy targets at random intervals. Sometimes on a long hike I'll fire the Mossberg and then rapid fire the Glock at nothing and then cheer in a couple of different voices things like, "Yeah! Got another lifelike training android! Get some, yeah!" and "Kill anything that moves!" Depending on the terrain, I'll bring along ziplock bags of children's underwear soaked in chicken blood and leave a pair here or there along trails and at campsites. If I had a source for shaved monkey fingers, I'd probably place those nearby as well. Lastly, I bought one of those spiky anti-rape devices for African vaginas and put it in my butt to deter any probing ayys. Honestly, I feel more comfortable in nature than I do at home.
>>
File: 1470994663763.png (1MB, 852x854px) Image search: [Google]
1470994663763.png
1MB, 852x854px
>>870211
Are you me?

People think i'm crazy to go by myself, but i like it. I carry a Victorinox SD for protection.
>>
>>870225
People thought that man who lived with bears was crazy, too. And then a bear ate him.
>>
Honestly, I can handle animals.

I can't handle people. Animals are predictable. You can take precautions. I'm much more scared of human beings in the city.
>>
>>869707
A-alfie? Please teach me your fungus whispering ways..
>>
>>870252
>>870253
>>870254
>>870255
>>
>>869728
L O W
R A T E
O F
F I R E
>>
File: pleased.gif (2MB, 331x197px) Image search: [Google]
pleased.gif
2MB, 331x197px
>>870220

Now this is effortposting.

o i was laffin
>>
>>870220
kek
>>
>>869749
any more info on sasquatch? i want to believe but feel skeptical about the whole thing.

went for an overnight in the san gabriel mountians and definitely felt like i was being watched.
>>
File: 03318259.webm (939KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
03318259.webm
939KB, 640x480px
>>869701
stop beeing fat
>>
File: 1475413314349.jpg (31KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1475413314349.jpg
31KB, 512x512px
>>870220
>be innawoods
>see a well armed neckbeard man child while checking my traps
>he starts firing off rounds at trees for no reason
>weapons are dry
>doesnt know how to reload
>drops weapons and pulls out a weird looking dildo
>starts pumping into his ass
>"did you see that, mom? I got'em!"
>mfw
>>
>>869701

You know, I've actually never been uneasy or nervous when exploring new areas in the woods... Well, not *never*, I used to get a little scared when I'd going hiking off trail alone, particularly in areas that would be really easy for me to get jumped by a predator - How'd I get through it? I just kept going. I would tell myself, "Nothing is going to happen - fact number one. If something happens, at least you die in the woods - fact number two". And I just kept on hiking, low and behold I found myself out of a narrow, heavily wooded pass, and atop a beautiful mountain, gazing down at where I once was. It was a great experience and I haven't had any problems since then, I find complete bliss when I'm hiking alone.

Oddly enough though, I get real nervous when driving a highway I've not been on ever / in a long while.
>>
>>870220
100% Utah
>>
>>869796
That's a good tip

>all these samsquanch posts

Im from NZ so I get this feeling hunting here. There is nothing that can kill me, or even hurt me in the slightest.
>>
speak softly and carry a large stick
>>
>>869701

I strip down naked, put on my dragon dildo penis extender. I don't think I'll be bothered by any one or any thing.
>>
>>870250

Alfie doesn't carry an esee 3. He carries a bk 7. He also lives in the uk. So he doesn't have any predators there.
>>
>>870250
I only pick 3-4 kinds of mushrooms, Lobster, oysters/angels wings/clams, chantrelles and ClubCavaris. I miss alfie why'd he have to stop uploading...
>>
>>870368
There's nothing I can say to convince you that sasquatch exists. In saying that, I do know for a fact that they're out there. Carry a very bright flashlight with you. Do you own any firearms?
>>
>>870643
I think he lives near me as it happens.
>>
>>869765
>not rapping death grips
>>
>>870392
im the opposite

i feel like my car is my little spaceship, whereas im extremely vulnerable innawoods. keep guns within reach eitehr way tho
>>
File: 123.jpg (90KB, 481x489px) Image search: [Google]
123.jpg
90KB, 481x489px
>>869713
>>
File: bigfoot.jpg (28KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
bigfoot.jpg
28KB, 480x270px
>>870834
>I do know for a fact that they're out there
>>
>>870907
top pip
>>
>>870922
Hilarious. You can laugh all you want but it doesn't change the fact.
>>
>>871284
>fact
>>
File: image.jpg (197KB, 800x607px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
197KB, 800x607px
>>869701
I have the opposite feeling. Exploring is my comfort zone; my uneasiness is sitting at a desk all day
>>
File: FireSilhouette.jpg (913KB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
FireSilhouette.jpg
913KB, 3072x2304px
>>871344
fukken same.
>>
I was taught that feeling means a Windego is near. Banish all strong emotions to not draw it closer and be wary of any large trees you don't recognize if you know the area.

Seriously tho, if the wild really terrifies you beyond functionality just bring a gun. If you're somewhere with no large predators make a spear/walking stick to function like a security blanket.
>>
>>870211
I dunno, sounds like an American thing
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.