[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Climbing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

File: Jager_Rallye_Bundeswehr_3.jpg (521KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Jager_Rallye_Bundeswehr_3.jpg
521KB, 1920x1080px
Do they usually leave gear behind? How does that work?
>>
>>869595
certain things get left behind. mostly caribeners and straps. you can't help but leave them sometimes on a repel. I throw away straps, but in my opinion left carabiners are a pay it forward thing.

you may find some nuts every once in a while, but if their owners couldn't get rhem out I doubt you can. and I am not going to use a nut that was in a crack for god only knows how many thermal expansions.
>>
>>869598
Do you have time to answer some other retard questions made by someone who likes the sport itself but has zero experience or knowledge about it?
>>
>>869599
I'm sure most climbers would be glad to answer questions from somebody who is genuinely interested.
>>
>>869604
Thanks. Any good book that you recommend to learn the basics of climbing? People who do solo climbing, how do they come down if they don't carry gear for rappelling?
>>
>>869613
The standard answer is Freedom of the Hills, but if you're more interested in rock climbing instead of mountaineering I'd check out how to rock climb by John long.

If you're soloing with no gear then your only option would be to down climb or walk off if that's available.

You can still carry gear for rappelling if you are soloing.
>>
>>869613
> People who do solo climbing, how do they come down if they don't carry gear for rappelling?
Usually they walk. A lot of the big rocks that often hear about people free climbing (e.g El Capitan in Yosemite) have regular hiking trails that go up the backside.
>>
>>869617
>Freedom of the Hills
>how to rock climb by John long
I will look into that

>John long
I'm watching some videos from the 80s made by him, quite nice.

>>869618
Yeah I kind figured that, they can't just magically come down. thanks lad.
>>
YOURE NO STEVE CLIMBER
>>
https://youtu.be/os_tQdhLI9Y?t=1m32s

mike barter has hours of easy to understand knowledge he shares on his channel. it's my go to if I have any questions about things you read about in freedom of the hills encyclopedia
>>
>>869652
Yeah, he's awesome.
>>
>>869652
Good call. Faultless ropework and dumb Canuck outdoorsman humour all in one.
>>
>>869649
Yeah, but Steve Climber is.
>>
>>869613
solo climbing is actually incredibly rare, accounting for probably some miniscule fraction of a percent of all climbing. It just gets a disproportianate amount of attention because of obvious reasons.
But yeah, they walk off or sometimes (rarer) down climb.

keep in mind I'm talking actual 5th class climbing, most people you meet /out/ who talk about soloing are talking 3rd/4th class which is a whole different thing, while trying to make themselves sound like it's 5th class and they're all badass and whatever.
>>
>>870013
>free solo climbing is actually incredibly rare
you missed a word there. I regularly rope solo, and I know a school teacher who does the same. rope solo climbing is actually incredibly common.
>>
File: via-ferrata.jpg (229KB, 1278x852px) Image search: [Google]
via-ferrata.jpg
229KB, 1278x852px
>>870013
op here, what do you guys think about via ferrata to get into it? I know that's different from actual climbing but how is it seen in the community and how is the sport itself?

Also going to the gym and start from there, is it a good option?
>>
>>870025
via ferrata is dope
>>
>>870025
Via ferrata is cool for sure. People like to hate because it's not pure climbing, but I mean-- unless people are going around saying Via Ferrata is just like climbing, I don't really see the issue. I prefer sport climbing, but really whatever gets people out there is neat.

>tfw want to get into trad but all of my climbing friends are at my level and none of us have any trad experience
plus dat money sink
>>
Never done it. I imagine it would at least get you used to exposure and familiarity with harnesses.
>>
>>870034
I was in the same boat, eventually saved up over the years, then went to Devil's Lake to learn how to place gear via rope solo. I forgot the name of the rock out there, but it's basically petrified sandstone, and has alot of horizontal cracks, aka, perfect placements for cams.
>>
>>870025
Forgot to answer your question about the gym sorry bro

Gym is great, especially if you have a buddy to go with. Just happened to get into climbing at the same time my best friend did, so I always have a belayer buddy. It's as little more tricky if you want to go solo, but if your gym has auto-belays you can check those out, or just look for someone else soloing. Ask them if they're there solo and want to trade belaying. Generally people are friendly. There's always bouldering too, but that's like a completely different beast. I wasn't really into bouldering until I was top-rope climbing for a few months, now I fucking love it since I'm actually a little decent.
>>
>>870094
I would really suggest avoiding artificial rock, especially as a beginner. Unless you are trying to become gymnastically strong, real rock will teach you real technique, and in my experience, is a completely different skill set than climbing on plastic.

Avoid random people holding the rope for you. Their technique and attitude is generally unknown to you, unless you are a 3rd party and can watch them belay for they hold the rope for you.

Bouldering is rockclimbing 101, if you want to learn how to climb, go bouldering, if you live in a city, there is a whole subsection of climbing called buildering. The only thing to consider while bouldering, unless you just want to train free solo mindset, is your landing zone, and how it changes as you move around on the rock.
>>
File: 88cirque1475_57lft.jpg (94KB, 483x725px) Image search: [Google]
88cirque1475_57lft.jpg
94KB, 483x725px
>>870023
>free soloing HARD is incredibly rare
you also missed a word there. 5.0-5.9 is pretty damn common in my area, especially for long, easy ridges and traverses in the 5.4-5.8 range. i know more people who do that than who rope solo. not me, though. i'll simul easy stuff, but i have a kid, i stick to a rope

>>870025
via ferrata's gay. might as well just hang a ladder over the crown of your roof and go up and down it. gym's better. good place to make friends with climbers, learn to belay, get a feel for weird body positions, learn knots and stuff, some gyms organize outdoor trips.

>>870034
>tfw want to get into trad but all of my climbing friends are at my level and none of us have any trad experience
learn to build bomber anchors, then climb shit way below your level to practice placing gear, and have your second fuck with all your placements before they clean them to see how solid they are. swap leads so they get practice placing pro, too.
>dat money sink
yeah, that part sucks, but if you buy half a rack and a partner buys half a rack you're each out only about $400, and shit lasts a looong time.

>>870156
eh, fake rock is fine. it's not identical, but it's similar, and is a good, controlled place to learn safety fundamentals, and get an idea about moving vertically.

but i agree 100% with not trusting randos to belay you.

and just for giggles, here's a pic of my dream climb
>multiday approach through grizzly country
>2500'
>goes free at 5.10c or pull on one piece past a roof to drop it to 5.9 c1
>>
>>870178
gym rat granite cuck confirmed

you don't meet people rope soloing because we avoid you
>>
File: thumbs up.jpg (39KB, 428x288px) Image search: [Google]
thumbs up.jpg
39KB, 428x288px
>>870180
what braj? don't want to hear my beta on my heinous proj? it's pretty gnar. i took a sweet whipper on it last time i was out here. but i'm gonna send it today.

;)
>>
>>870183
you troll every climbing thread
go back to account required land faggot
>>
File: smug dog is smug.jpg (92KB, 640x580px) Image search: [Google]
smug dog is smug.jpg
92KB, 640x580px
>>870186
>call me a gym rat granite cuck without provocation
>i'm the troll
>mfw
keep pretending like you rope solo because you don't want to have a partner, not because no one will be your partner.
>>
>>870186
>actually knows what he's talking about
>b-b-but he's trolling
>>870189
Thanks for the trad recommendations. I'll gauge interest and see what comes from there. Not gonna lie, I'd love to eventually get on some big walls eventually, but I just dropped a ton of cash on mountaineering shit (and snowboarding is upcoming up soon,) but One Day.
>>
What is it with all the saltiness in the climbing threads. No one has to front, your ego can't get hurt online.
>>
File: 1445984800932.jpg (67KB, 614x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1445984800932.jpg
67KB, 614x1024px
>>871147
>confirmed for didn't read any of the first 23 posts in this thread
>>
>>871147
>/out/
>gym

if I want to /fit/ I go to fit
>>
>>870341
quit being such an elitist faggot, you probably climb like a bitch anyways.
>>
>>869598
>caribeners
>straps
>repel
carabiners, slings, rappel/abseil.

I'm sure you're a good person m8, but pls.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.