[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bivvy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

File: solo.png (595KB, 1060x524px) Image search: [Google]
solo.png
595KB, 1060x524px
Is this the best option for when hiking solo?
>>
Most practical
>>
>>869559
>best option
There's no such thing; it all boils down to personal preference.
>>
>>869559
It's all relative.

Personally i'd always choose a lightweight 1 or 2 man tent over a bivvy. Yeah its heavier but you get so much more space, comfort and security against the weather and bugs etc with a tent. If you're adding a tarp to your bivvy, you're encroaching on lightweight tent weight anyway. Many hooped/poled bivvys can be a royal pain in the ass to get into if youre getting into it in muddy and/or wet conditions as they only have one opening at the top which you have to shuffle into without getting shit from the ground all over you. Plus you can keep your pack safe and dry in your tent with you while you sleep, no chance in a bivvy.

I mean I like bivvying for shits and giggles and nights under the stars when you know without doubt you will have good weather, but for a dependable, comfy shelter it's a tent all the way for me.
>>
best for me is my 15 oz tent from Zpacks. Cuben fiber shits on everything else
>>
>>869559
What do you do with your pack if you've got a bivvy?
also if anyone is traveling from US to southern Australia and wants to buy one of those bivvys for me and bring it across I'll take ya out for some hiking and beers
>>
>>869559
have you ever tried just sleeping in the open?

a bivy is nice to have if you are going light. but it will get dewy with your preparation. most nights a tarp or just your sleeping bag should be enough.

I slept outside in just a sleeping bag for almost 300 days in afghanistan.
>>
Your best option is to bring your gf and fuck the shit out of her.

No bivy required.
>>
>>869594
I just want to point out where I live this is what happens when you sleep out in the open... At least in the Rockies where I live. I really can't relate to the guys just using tarps and hammocks.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bear-attack-kills-camper-daniel-ward-o-connor-near-mackenzie-b-c-1.3069202
>>
>>869673
this desu, tarps might be fine on the east coast, deserts or parts of Europe but in the real world they're pretty useless and a good way to get yourself killed
>>
>>869712
so true. the bear sees a man in a bivy and just gives up.
>>
>>869559
Anyone got any experience sleeping in a bivvy in regions with lots and lots of boars?
>>
Personally I can't stand bivvy sacks. It's like sleeping in a sweaty coffin.
>>
>>869841
Why I prefer I tarp and hammock setup. Just use the tarp when above the treeline, and sleep comfy as fuck/lounge around camp when available.
>>
File: IMG_3772.jpg (42KB, 898x886px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3772.jpg
42KB, 898x886px
>>869712
numerous accounts of hikers getting dragged from tents.
>he thinks paper thin fabric will deter an animal with moras for claws
>>
>>869559
>>869561
>>869560

Not really. This bivy is a total utter piece of shit.
Here are soms stats for you:
Avg. Weight (oz./g): 39.0oz / 1106g (One Size)
Price: $320
I own a two person tent that cost $100 and weighs less than this.

To be fair OutdoorResearch has some cheaper and lighter models. There's one that's $120 for 500g.

However, ff you spend the money you can buy 1 person or 1+ person tents that weigh less than this bivy.
And there is nothing practical about a bivy. It sucks.

http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/solplex.shtml
http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/hexamid_pocket.shtml
The only inconvenience of these tents is that they require trekking poles.
>>
>>869584
This one is large enough for your pack.

But better bring a lightweight tarp or ponchotarp for your shoes and to cover your entrance for easy access in the rain.

I have a cumulus bivy, 140 grams, not as good as the one in the pic, but it works for me.
>>
>>870213
You're forgetting its a 4 season bivvy tho. Good luck getting a 4 season tent at 1100 for that price.

Sure, Zpacks are good. But I would be happy with a 1.1kg bivvy I knew I could use in any conditions.
>>
>>869559
I used one of the military surplus Bivys last weekend down to 50F no problem. I wear a sea to summit bug net on my face when they are an issue. I know this isn't/out/ approved but it's worked well for me.
>>
>>870747
you could probably sleep in just the bivvy and be fine at 50. I slept on mountaintops (well technically hilltops, but a mile high) in just a military sleep system(bivy + 2 bags) also, I went through sapper school patrol phase in god damned february in lost in the woods eating an mre a day and sleeping in the same system. that was so fucking cold.

a bivy will definitely work. I have medals that prove it.
>>
>>870819
You definitely gotta air the bivy before about day 3 or it gets humid in there. I try to hang it up inside out as soon as I reach my destination for the night.

I actually cut these sticker vines so I wouldn't puncture my pad, ground cloth, or bivy when I was /out/ last. Didn't cut them short enough and they ended up poking holes through my ground cloth and z lite, but not the bivy.
>>
>>870819
You get medals for sleeping in a bivy? STOLEN VALOR
>>
Whats the best bivvy+sleeping bag combo for winter on a budget? I'm in the PNW, and I was thinking a somewhat cheap bivvy with a pretty nice sleeping bag and a tarp under the whole thing. But if anyone has suggestions on which actual models to get I'd greatly appreciate it.
>>
>>869712
literally thousands of people hike the CDT and PCT a year, months spent in bear country, with a tarp
>>
>>871397
Shh, this board is larpers wearing jungle boots Jacking off in their local state park with rifles
>>
>>871397
I sleep in bear country in a bivy under a tarp. I don't bear bear bag either. I'm carrying a 40SW too for all you gun nerds. Bear defense and bear hunting don't seem to distinguish themselves.
>>
>>870212
> nice
Fapping now.
>>
Alpkit Hunka XL.
>>
>>871455
do you carry special rounds
or just fmj
>>
>>869559
the Lynx 1 is a nice modular setup from Alps Mountaineering that lets me leave my tent inner at home when I feel like it bringing it. Doesnt weigh too much, easy to set up keeps does a great job of keeping the condensation point away from you and your gear. 3 seasons tho.
>>
>>869559
Nah. it sucks when it rains. Even a pup tent is better than a bivy in the rain.
>>
>>869712
>thinks your shelter has to do with bear encounters
>doesn't mention bear bagging once

Seriously. Avoiding bears at night is as easy as using the camp triangle. Keep your bear bag (with all smellables including toothpaste, chapstick, deodorant, shaving cream, bug spray, etc not just food) inside it 50 yds away from your tent, and keep your cooking area an equal 50 yds from your bear bag and tent in a triangle of sorts.

NONE of you arm chair experts mentions this to people asking how to be safe in bear country.
>>
File: 1440195252784.jpg (99KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
1440195252784.jpg
99KB, 650x650px
>>871797
Sounds nice, i'll look into it.

>>871802
Thats why you bring a small tarp or ponchorarp.

>>871808
Because this is a bivy thread, you salty cunt.
>>
>>871866
>Thats why you bring a small tarp or ponchorarp.
I prefer a tent with a vestibule. I understand this is a bivy thread, but OP asked an opinionated question so I offered my opinion.

>>871866
>Because this is a bivy thread
Whatever dude.
>>
>>869584
too bad im going to Queensland..
>>
>>871808
>using the camp triangle

How exactly? I know this is probably dumb but I thought those were rang to signal dinner at summer camp.
Pls no bully
>>
>>869673
Lol he was in the cuck tent while his fiancee slept in the camper. gg
>>
>>871808
>carrying chapstick, deodorant, toothpaste and bugspray without using it on yourself
camp triangle is useless if you smell like half the things you've hung up elsewhere
>>
>>871455
Have fun shooting something after you've been disemboweled while snoozing. Unless you're so operator you don't sleep.
>>
File: tmp_5047-images(35)-1008218278.jpg (5KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_5047-images(35)-1008218278.jpg
5KB, 225x225px
>>873539
>>
>>873539
Nevermind, I figured it out.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.