[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's rustle some jimmies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 12

File: alpiv-hiver-2_0.jpg (372KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
alpiv-hiver-2_0.jpg
372KB, 1200x900px
What's the ultimate /out/ activity and why it's mountaineering?
>>
I'd say solo ultra long distance thru hiking (like Alaska - Patagonia)

>hiking and camping through many environments
>climbing mountains, crossing deserts
>carrying most everything on your back minus resupply
>can be done at leisure or speedy
>requires many many more skills than any other activity
>>
>>869468
personally I think what those people on naked and afraid were doing was pretty amazing. I mean to go out and try to live off of like a knife and a firesteel and that's literally all is pretty hardcore in my opinion.
>>
File: Untitled_Panorama1.jpg (2MB, 3277x1271px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled_Panorama1.jpg
2MB, 3277x1271px
>>869468
Because it involves all of the basics of practical /out/ knowledge and, depending on how technical you want to get, allows you to get into some pretty advanced shit.

I haven't been on /out/ in a while but is this typically like something that people argue about or something? Why wouldn't climbing a fucking mountain in extreme terrain be considered god tier /out/ shit?
>>
>>869468
I'm still struggling with minimizing gear...I always over load.
>>
>>870198

There's just some gear you NEED in the mountain, and those are some kilos you can never get rid of
>>
I'm watching a doc about K2 and people who died there in 2008. Fucking hell, mountaineering is hard as fuck.
>>
File: IMG-20161006-WA0000[1].jpg (26KB, 1328x747px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20161006-WA0000[1].jpg
26KB, 1328x747px
>>870610
Thats probably (one of) the most difficult mountain(s) on earth. Only very few even try it, so average mounaineering is doable.
Pic related is me 2 days ago on the Zugspitze when we realized the weatherforecast was wrong and we had to turn around.
>>
climbing and bouldering is cool

might not be ultimate but still cool
>>
>>869468
>Mountaineering

More like trash-the-mountain-as-you-constantly-leave-gear-and-garbage-behind-neering
>>
>>871447
lol that's not even that bad. I was once ascending to advanced camp alone (stupid I know) and it whited out so I could only see 3 meters.

There was a group ahead of me who's footsteps I was following, but then a light snow started.

Wasn't scared like that in a long time.
Luckily soon it cleared so I could be 10-15 meters or so and in an hour of what would be called dashing on any other terrain I caught up to them, even though they started 3h before me.
>>
>>869468
Moon walk, I would say
>>
>>871497
The problem was we were the first to ascend after the snowfall the day before, so we had no visible path and since we could see maybe 10 meters we couldn't find the entrance point to the wall (we actually passed it twice, but couldn't see it). We searched for an hour and turned as time was running out.
>>
File: terra-nova.jpg (51KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
terra-nova.jpg
51KB, 600x300px
I'm gonna say going on a historically accurate voyage to the south pole, that'd be pretty hardcore
>>
>>869468

Mountaineers couldn't survive one week /out/ without at least $2k a gear. Bushcrafting is the god tier /out/ activity.
>>
>>872295
Keep telling yourself that. Pussy.
>>
>>872295
When is the last time your life was on the line if you made one slip up while bushcrafting?
>>
>>872295
delusion the post
>>
>>872295
Go back to /k/ faggot
>>
>>869468

>high levels of fitness
>technical prowess
>nerves of steel
>alpine bivvying

What's not to like?

Provided it's mountaineering like in OP. Classical mountaineering is fun too though.
>>
>>870198

Go through your gear after every /out/ing and note anything that was superfluous. Apply to next trip.

Have a solid layering system that weighs nothing and covers a broad range of conditions.

Climb/ hike easy stuff with too little gear and see how far you can push it.
>>
>>871474

L E A V E

N O

T R A C E
>>
>>869468
Cow tipping. The ultimate balance between strength and concrete will power
>>
>>869468
I don't want to spend thousands of dollars to climb a wall?
>>
>>869468

How well crampons do against solid rock? Is he fucked if there's no ice?
>>
>>872718
Surprisingly well. I enjoy it. Plus it sounds fucking cool.
>>
>>869468

I would think "alpine" style climbing would be superior to mountaineering. Fast, light, little room for error. I just cringe when I see people loaded to the hilt, climbing at a snails pace up a mountain.
>>
>>869468
>What's the ultimate /out/ activity

Sex outdoors.
>>
>>872979
Has anyone ever alpined Everest
>>
>>872979
It is physically harder, it accomplishes a clear goal, and there are lots of specialty tools for ascending that require a lot of skill and experience to set, use, and retrieve properly.

The gear can't be helped. Mountains won't climb themselves.

>>872295
>>872714
The fuck is wrong with you fools? I have like 8-12 thousand dollars worth of tree climbing (and some rock climbing) gear.
Do you not have jobs? Are you established adults yet? Do you spend your money on drugs?
>>
File: 20160917_101252.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160917_101252.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>873198
I forgot my fucking image.
>>
>>873200
Nice, post more.
>>
>>873200

That's not a room of an "established adult" rather someone with priorities of the immediate gratification and no real vision of the future. Balance. Having it means you don't have climbing gear that can buy a small jap crap car yet a domicile that looks like an Indian reservation rental.
>>
>>873198
Idk if anyone has ever told you this, but you have autism
>>
>>872471
That's the joke. Mountaineers don't follow LNT
>>
>>873200
So you're a full on gear faggot, got it.

I don't even think we had that much shit in the climbing cache at the last park I worked at, and we actually used that shit everyday.
>>
>>873200
I can't see where the hell are 8-12k dollaridoos in that gear. Pls enlighten me, senpaitachi.
>>
How to get into mountaineering when living in area with no mountains for 200 miles?
>>
>>873817
Move? Having a well paid job that allows you to travel?
>>
File: 20160929_144719.jpg (401KB, 480x800px) Image search: [Google]
20160929_144719.jpg
401KB, 480x800px
>>873766
That's just the gear that I use every day.
Lots of cool, but ultimately inferior ascenders, descenders, carabiners, and ropes are not there, as well as my old saddle and rigging gear that just live on the truck.

I climb trees for a living. I climb trees when I get off of work. This is the result of more than half a decade of collecting tools. That rope in the back on the left is 5/8" ultra tech. 42,000 abs. Costs about $8/foot, 200' long. Most of my other ropes are between $.80 and $1.50/foot and vary from 80 to 200 feet.
The triple action carabiners start around $20. The fancy ones go up to around $50.

That blue thing is a $350 multiscender. The climb helmet (which has been upgraded to a protos now) was $125. It has a $200 communications system installed. The pruning saws are $75 and $120 for the two pictured... even rings and small rigging plates vary from $5 up to $70. It would take me all day to itemize and list the price for everything that I have.

I don't have autism. I am good at what I do. Very good. And I make good money doing it.
The old lady kindly lets me make a huge mess when I am feeling it, as long as I pick up everything within a few days. As you can probably imagine, it can become quite a pile. The house is a rather nice 3 bedroom with a fenced in back yard in a halfway decent neighborhood. I'd like to be a little more suburban, but it can't be helped now.
Picture is why I need a 42000 pound rope. This storm damage was pushing the working load limit.
>>
>>873764
Tree climbing is rather gear intensive if you do it professionally and want to be capable of handling anything that comes your way. I get a lot of trees that the average tree service just doesn't know how to tackle.
>>
>>873974
Living the dream, anon. What is your academic background, if you don't mind me asking?
>>
>>873834
You don't even need that well paying of a job. Two hundred miles (Travel can be really inexpensive if you are willing to work for it and play the game. Most of my expendable income is used for travel. And if that guy is 200 miles that's an easy long weekend trip or a leave friday night after work. Get a close airbnb and be at the spot first thing in the morning.
>>
File: 1473902231258.png (3MB, 1440x960px) Image search: [Google]
1473902231258.png
3MB, 1440x960px
>>873986
High school dropout. I was ready to go get fucked up and waste my life.
Spent a couple years couch surfing, ended up somewhere where they could use an unskilled hand. Then I found out that this was stimulating like school never was.
The certifications require experience and knowledge, no schooling is necessary.
>>
>>870074
>Why wouldn't climbing a fucking mountain in extreme terrain be considered god tier /out/ shit?
because it isnt?

>Because it involves all of the basics of practical /out/ knowledge and, depending on how technical you want to get, allows you to get into some pretty advanced shit.
mountaineering and hiking in the woods are both /out/ activities and couldnt be more different.
digging snow caves at 20k feet and hammocking a few meters above ground are also hillariously unrelated.
>>
>>873761
They follow it more than most hikers. Usually the only time you leave gear behind is for a safety issue, not a lazy, littering cunt issue.
>>
>>873200
THICK
>>
File: 1469486266548.jpg (108KB, 538x528px) Image search: [Google]
1469486266548.jpg
108KB, 538x528px
>>875699
Bahahaha
>>
>>873200
What's that black box called? Seems to provide lots of storage.
>>
>>876473
... a box.
They are like 50-80 dollars.
The wheels are junk.
I think mine came from home depot. Or lowes.
>>
>>873225
You can sleeps in yo car, but you can't drives yo house.
>>
>>873019
Messner etc.
>>
File: Stihl.png (502KB, 461x640px) Image search: [Google]
Stihl.png
502KB, 461x640px
>>873200
>Husqvarna
Come on man. Stihl is where its at.
>>
>>878577
Most loggers and tree care folks use Husqvarna.
>>
>>869468
>once I fucked up mountaineering.
>my gloves got worn down, wet and wouldn't grip anything,
>my path i took up collapsed after knocking off a rock that caused the ones below me to fall off.
>My rope was at my camp on the top of the mountain, and at a few points I had pretty sizable rocks fall on me
>which hurt like hell.
>halfway up I ran out of adrenaline
>wrote on my arm and the inside of my first aid kit my Parent's address and how I'd like to be buried
>almost Recorded video apologizing to my family for dying this way, plead with whoever found me to give my stuff to my dad
>decided not to
>used my mora companion as a pick/anchor point
>at some parts had to do a leap of faith to the other side of this rockside vein (about 2-5 ft in width, about an average 70-80 degree slope)

The entire reason I almost died was I wanted some water before the sun set. It's a dangerous as fuck hobby.
>>
>>873200
>>873225
slightly agree with anon, replace the damn couch cover with at least a native/scandinavian homey pattern, earthen lamp and solid or matching native/scandinavian pattern drapes, and cover up the top of that fish tank with something to make it look clean. Huge props on gear tho.
>>
>>871474
Better than these fucking fagheads and dirt-bikers who think it's their moral duty to shit up all the trails/woods/mountains with their bullshitmobiles and their prepubescent farting exhaust pipe
>>
>>871474
No mountaineer would do that. The only ones that leave their garbage or anything at their camps are paid expeditions, and those are mercenaries leading casual hikers into the mountains.
>>
>>878766
you sound like an huge fag giving interior decoration advice.
>>
>>878577
I am a stihl man. That old husqy 257 was my first pro-grade saw. 5 years for me.
He's good to have around.

I sold my banjo to buy it when I started out on my own.
>>
>>878766
Lol.
Native fish, btw. All hook caught.
>>
>>879515
Better advice than you could give
>>
How about caving?
>>
>>879937
Mountaineering, caving, and SCUBA are THE three ultimate /out/ activities.

Everything else is practicing for those
>>
>>879555
Good trips
Also that's neat as fuck mate
>>
>>880276
I can respect this position.
It's wrong, but I can respect it.
>>
File: 20161019_153738.jpg (426KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
20161019_153738.jpg
426KB, 640x480px
>>874023
Today's beast of a sweetgum.

I want to start climbing mountains. These trees just ain't big enough.
>>
>>882484
>I want to start climbing mountains
Go ahead mate, the world is your oyster.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.