[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PANTS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

File: 900.jpg (188KB, 619x900px) Image search: [Google]
900.jpg
188KB, 619x900px
What do you wear on your legs when it's like -25°c?

I just bought some heavyweight merino base layers, but what else should I get?

I'll be in Scandanavia for the winter
>>
File: 31Qk5CqAw0L._SY300_.jpg (8KB, 231x300px) Image search: [Google]
31Qk5CqAw0L._SY300_.jpg
8KB, 231x300px
Get a coverall like this one.
>>
File: 43000161-2T.jpg (17KB, 180x250px) Image search: [Google]
43000161-2T.jpg
17KB, 180x250px
>>868849
And some boots like those
>>
>>868849
Also: mittens and under-gloves.

A good hat.

A balaclava
>>
What is that for Americans? -15F?

When it gets cold like that here I wear overalls with flannel pajama pants under them, and maybe a pair of shorts under those.

I don't own any designated "cold weather gear" but all you need is layers of warm clothing. I have spent 8 hour days in -30f windchill with layers upon layers and it didn't seem bad at all. Put something wicking against your skin and you're all set.
>>
Although it only gets cold enough to like 0F here, I shovel snow with sweat pants beneath jeans since it was easy to do.

Tuck sweatpants into wool socks, then put the jeans on so the sweatpants dont move around at all.
>>
>>868849
Base layer
+ fleece pants
+ synthetic wind pants

or in town, fleece lined jeans over long johns. I got the jeans at the feed store and they're great. When it's that cold at least you don't have to worry about being wet, unless you do something dumb like go through the ice.
>>
File: m4bn30312_mud_l.jpg (268KB, 1200x1670px) Image search: [Google]
m4bn30312_mud_l.jpg
268KB, 1200x1670px
>>868862
>>868863
>>868864
Thanks for suggesting things that aren't pants?

>>868898
>>868905
>>868915
Ok sounds good.
Heavyweight merino baselayers + fleece pants + synthetic pants on top will probably do me fine.

For the outer layer I'm thinking a fairly simple/casual that's nylon with a little stretch and a DWR should be ok right? I'm looking at the Prana Brion because they look normal and i dont want cargo pockets or any other shit.
just size up to fit my insulating layers underneath and I'm fine right?
>>
>>869266
>Thanks for suggesting things that aren't pants?
How is that a question? What are you asking here?
>>
Snugpack softie trousers or equivalent.

Do not get a onesie because you want to have easy regulation of body heat.

DESU if you're active you don't need much, base + regular trousers + goretex over trousers is what I wear but that's just because what I have and don't need a dedicated subzero setup.

If I did, I'd probably go for something like a mackinaw wool bib trousers.
>>
>>868849
Try to wear clothes which is made of natural materials. For example: wool,fur. Try to not wear synthetic.
I live in Siberia. There is -50 degrees below zero Celsius in winter.
>>
>>869307
>Try to not wear synthetic.
Wool cartel shill detected.

Fleece > wool in many ways, at least the good stuff like Polartec is. It has a couple of drawbacks (gets smelly faster and fire embers melt holes in it) but neither of those are really relevant as a winter mid-layer. I live in Canada, it gets cold here too.

Can't beat down for jackets though.
>>
>>868849
Everyone in the north of Scandinavia has Fjallraven Barents Pro pants with wool baselayer under it.
>>
question /out/

is it a bad idea to wear fleece pajama pants underneath an outer layer like some work pants or jeans maybe?
>>
>>868862
You didn't ask for pants, fuckface.

You asked for something to wear on your legs.
>>
>>868849
Canada here. long underwear is a good start. any pants that aren't jeans if I will be in contact with snow. If I will be in the snow then ski pants over normal pants.

go with mitts instead of gloves as your fingers will be warmer...something with a ribbing around the wrists, not open. scarf and touque/knit cap.

shoes or boots with some tread to keep you from slipping. Soft rubber. you don't need full on kamik boots but something with a warm lining will help. thick wool socks or a wool blend are almost a replacement for the warm lining.

fleece or wool pullover or sweater works well. I have a feeling you will seriously overheat with your merino base layers when you head inside personally. I use fleece base layers because I find I thermoregulate better with them. But wool works for some people, just not me personally. a ski jacket or something along those lines is really needed for the -25C range. You want mainly outer layers that are windproof since that's where those temps really kill you.

The real trick to cold temps is layers though. like me: long sleeved shirt, t-shirt, wool sweater, ski jacket. long underwear, pants, snowpants. you get the idea. if in doubt ask the locals what they'd recommend. Probably the right kind of stuff will be easy to find in scandanavia.
You will be burning up when you head inside with wool. fleece works better for me in that regard.
>>
File: 0131051.jpg (640KB, 940x797px) Image search: [Google]
0131051.jpg
640KB, 940x797px
>>868849
Just get "thermo pants" at a local sports store, that and base layer should be plenty. You don't need too much on the legs if you keep your core and feet toasty.
>>
Layer up, wear alot of wool. I like to wear an merino under layer, a fleece and then a water proof ski winter jacket and ski pants over that.

If I am working then its just the merino under layer and an jacket over that. keeps everything dry that way.

Of course there are scarfs, hats, socks and all the accessories. For boots I used army issued white mukluks. They are bulky but effective. I would just avoid cotton, maybe a hoodie but I would avoid cotton t shirts.

if its -25 c just give up on the idea that you are going to be warm/comfortable. Its a lot better off to be a bit cold and dry than sweating and freezing later.
>>
Tfw /out/ in Texas.
>>
>>868849
You got advice here and it's realy easy to find in google search.

But i will give you my 2 cents and recommend you get a super warm hat (very important!!)
and also a nice pair of warm slippers to wear indoors.
>>
>>869692
>I dont wear pants on my legs
>what is the title of this thread anyway?
>>
>>868849

Long johns and jeans. The Canadian way.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.