[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are good outdoor activities to do alone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: 1473434539023.jpg (337KB, 550x535px) Image search: [Google]
1473434539023.jpg
337KB, 550x535px
Hello retard from /r9k/ here ironically, I was telling someone to get out but I remembered that lately I was thinking of asking you guys about the outside world. I don't dislike outside I just hate people and populated environments. I have thought about maybe the end of this year or sometime next year just packing a bag full of stuff and going out wandering somewhere.

Obviously that isn't a very fleshed out plan which is why I am asking here. I live in Australia and I know my country is one of the best for outdoors stuff in the world yet I have never done much outside mainly due to money issues or being busy but I am mostly free from those issues now.
>>
>>868604
You're gonna get killed in Australia m8
>>
>>868605
>/r9k/
You say that like its something I would care about
>>
File: autism.png (49KB, 721x164px) Image search: [Google]
autism.png
49KB, 721x164px
>>868604
You dis autist
>>
>>868611
Yes original
>>
>>868604
If you actually care at all about getting into /out/door activities, or want to do some kind of trip wandering across Aus then I'm happy to actually help and give some advice. but ceebs bothering if you're just some shit cunt from Melton who doesn't actually care.

Money shouldnt be an issue for /out/ activities too. As long as you have a car or a bus fare, theres plenty you can do.
>>
>>868617
I don't have a car but I can easily pay for public transport (I have public transport concessions). I was thinking about just hiking or something and maybe some camping. Again it won't be a while if I do but that is the general direction I wanted to go in.
>>
>>868619
where are you based?
>>
>>868622
Illawarra region, NSW
>>
>>868617
I'm not op but keen for aus advice, what's a good cheap hiking tent to get in Australia?

All the cheap recommendations are US/euro tents which kill on shipping.
>>
>>868623
dont know that region well at all sorry. Could have given you getter advice for local stuff if you were in Vic.

My rec would be to start with day hikes or maybe a small over night hike. Probably easiest if you befriend someone/ convince a friend with a car to drive or even just drop you at the trail head and pick you up later in the day. Overnight hiking is great fun, but its a bit daunting which is why day hikes are a good place to start.

For a day hike all you need is sturdy runners and appropriate clothing. Any shorts, any light t shirt, and a jumper will do fine if the weather is mild. Take a small bag with some fruit (remember not to throw your apple cores into the bush though) at least 2L of water and some sunscreen and you'll be fine. For day hikes keeping it to about 6-10km in a day is good to start. Once you do a few that will seem like a small amount probably, but when you're starting you want to keep it nice and light and fun.

I like to take a little note book and make notes on things like plants, geology, vegetation changes, fauna, bird calls, random thoughts. Observations can help focus your attention and make you see and experience the nature more. Its not for everyone but I like it.

When you're ready to progress to overnight hiking then all you need is a larger 50+ L bag, a small light tent, sleeping bag and mat, and some food. Its also good to take a map and compass just in case when on longer overnight hikes.

>>868625
I've always struggled with tents here in Aus. There doesnt seem to be a great range of cheap or mid-tier options. I use a Kathmandu tent that I kind of regret buying.

if there is an Anaconda store near you the Denali Zephyr I and II are both on sale atm for a good price. After seeing that I might even go check out the Zephyr I myself tomorrow
>>
>>868625
Maybe you and op can go in on a tent and snuggle each other's nuggies
>>
>>868604
> fapping
> suicide

Ergo, fap yourself to death.
>>
File: IMG_0374.jpg (49KB, 344x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0374.jpg
49KB, 344x400px
>>868604
Fishin
>>
Photography is easy to do alone. I recently started going out and doing things alone and let me tell you it's so much less hassle
>>
>>868604
*What aren't good outdoor activities to do alone.
>>
>>868604
Don't go /out/ alone. It seems obvious but retards die everyday because they ignore this rule.
>>
>>868623
Hey I used to live down there. Go up my Kiera or Kembla, there's the area around lake Illawarra you can go. It's changed a bit since I was there.
>>
>>869182
> not thanking God for it

Heathen.
>>
>>868604
Get some good shoes and start jogging.
It's really pleasant once you get started, and it will help you feel slightly better about your situation in the long run. It shouldn't be too hard to find a track with few people on it, unless you live in the middle of a city.

Try something like C25K to get started, don't run on hard terrain, and remember to keep running even if you don't feel like doing it that day.
>>
Get a mountain bike, a back pack with some essentials such as inner tubes, pump, small tool kit, lots of water, food, a camera, a spare t-shirt, and some weed. Most importantly, a small gps device such as a garmin, or make sure you download and install something like strava or essentially a bike satnav app on your phone so you can find your way home. Or just remember where you came from.

Get out the house, get on the bike, and get lost!! Literally.. get lost, go somewhere you never wandered to before. Ride easy so you dont burn out. Pedal until your body wants to take a brake. Find somewhere picturesque, such as river / waterfall / canyon / etc. Sit down,roll a joint, smoke it, savour the moment, have some food, drink some drink, and go home. I do this often, something as far as 50 / 60km in a day, just for something to do. Plus (aside from smoking) does wonders to your fitness and mental health :)
>>
>>868604
>hiking
>wood crafting
>cairn kicking
>rock climbing
>mountain biking
>making pretentious Instagram pictures
>canoeing
>fishing
>shitting in geocaches
>camping
>orienteering
>picking a nice cliff to jump off from
>>
>>868604
Start simple mate, find a place like a park or something near you with walking trails and do those first, you'll have to put up with more normies because it's easier, once you've done those then try something a little harder, a little more remote, tell someone where you are going and when you'll be back, that way if you fuck up they know where to look for your body, as much as you want to be alone it's easier at first to go with someone else, it lends confidence and two heads are often better than one, you can go it truly alone once you are more experienced.

Personally I took up sailing to get away from people, I started out with a 14 foot dinghy and now I have a 26 foot boat I've sailed across the Tasman Sea and back three times over the years, I'll be sailing from Christchurch to Wellington in a couple of months time, to spend Christmas with the family then sail on to Hobart Tasmania in the new year to visit friends, I'm not sure whether or not to join YouTube and blog it or stay anon and just keep the adventure to myself.
>>
>>868604
>my country is one of the best for outdoors stuff in the world yet
Not really, just probably better than most of Europe.
and it can be very dangerous to inexperienced people.

>I have never done much outside mainly due to money issues
Hiking is probably one of the cheapest activities known to men.

but... going out alone is possible.
Jumping head into this and going straight for multidays trips is likely death.

Start going out for a one day trips, doesn't have to be round ones especially if you commute by bus, then start making them longer.
Get in touch with the local outdoors community. Don't have to go with them, but their advise will literally save your life.

Always have someone know where you're going to be.
Make sure you bring enough water. For the first few trips, imagine how much you'd need, then double it.
>>
>>868604
go camping. go ride bikes. bring a slingshot and set up some cans.
go find and watch animals(surprisingly enjoyable)
hike.
don't be such a pussy.
>>
>>868629
> at least 2L of water and some sunscreen and you'll be fine. For day hikes keeping it to about 6-10km in a day is good to start.

While I have never hiked in Australia, unless it's an area with streams, 2L for 10 km is outright suicidal, and for 6 it's dangerous (any small thing could get you in trouble).
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.