[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Splitting Axe

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

I have a Gransfors Bruks Scandinavian Forest Axe which I've been using for a bit of wood splitting.

Wondering if it'd be worth getting a proper splitting axe. How much of a difference would it make?
>>
It makes the difference that you go from being a VIKING to being a regular dude.

Do you really want to do that, son?
>>
>>868480
It is ok, they make a splitting axe and a maul, so you can still be a VIKING as long as you buy the Granfors Bruks Splitting Maulâ„¢
>>
>>868495
I'd just get the Splitting Axe. I like the curves on its handle more than the Mauls straight handle.
>>
>>868495
>>868573
Main difference between a splitting ax and splitting maul is that the maul has a wider taper and the poll is elongated and specially heat treated so you can pound in steel wedges with it, whereas a splitting ax would crack at the eye if you tried to pound steel wedges.
>>868474
To answer your question, if you burn wood in your home and you burn large, knotted pieces, than a splitting ax would work better because it goes through knots easier and the fine grind on the scandi forest ax might chip on knots, whereas the splitting ax has a very obtuse and "dull" edge angle.
>>
>>868474
>Would using the correct tool for the job make a difference?

Srsly dude? Of COURSE it'd make a difference. If you're talking about processing a lot of wood, and don't have to carry the damn thing, then get a full sized axe.
>>
>>868474
i have the wetterlings splitting maul and it's great
>>
>>868693
I know it'd be better, I'm asking if it would make a significant enough of an impact to be worthwhile for someone who only occasionally chops wood.

>>868663
Thanks.
>>
>>868663
If i can get them for the same price, would you recommend the maul?
>>
>>868474
>wood splitting
Get a splitting maul you dolt.
>>
File: morakniv.jpg (691KB, 1971x1306px) Image search: [Google]
morakniv.jpg
691KB, 1971x1306px
>>868937
or just a murrah and a rock
>>
File: splitting axe.jpg (24KB, 799x539px) Image search: [Google]
splitting axe.jpg
24KB, 799x539px
When I go out to the cabin I have to wood prep tools: a husqvarna hatchet and something extremely similar to the pic I'm posting.

I haven't tried every kind of splitting tool around but I can tell you this style works very well. It's not stupid heavy and it'll split big logs.

Of course, at the cabin I'm splitting 2 foot diameter logs that were bucked with a chainsaw and I would never be situation in the woods, so I would take it on a hike in camp.

Also, trying to split those logs I'm talking about with wedges would take longer and be a big pain in the ass with just a hatchet.

After I get them down to a certain size I obviously switch to the hatchet for kindling prep and whatnot.
>>
>>869419

*wouldn't* take it on a hike in camp.
>>
>>868886
Still depends what you're splitting, if you're splitting woods that don't split very easy like knotty oak then get a maul and steel wedge, otherwise a splitting ax will work just as good, you just can't pound steel splitting wedges with it.
>>
>>868877
That depends on how often you chop wood and how much disposable income you have. That's a decision you have to make.

Personally it's night and day and if I were processing firewood regularly I'd get a full sized axe.
>>
>>868474

>Gransfors Bruks
>a bit of wood splitting
>a proper splitting axe

>tips fedora
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.