[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best material for extreme hot climates? I want to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 6

File: plplpl.jpg (305KB, 900x1038px) Image search: [Google]
plplpl.jpg
305KB, 900x1038px
What is the best material for extreme hot climates?

I want to know if a dry, desert climate material would work in a wet, humid climate.

Could a material be good for both?

There's so many combinations of cotton, polyester, nylon, aramid, rayon (50/50, 60/40, 65/25/10, 70/30, 100% cotton).
Then there's twill, battle rip, etc. I don't even necessarily need military BDUs but I really would like camo similar to 3 color or desert digital. I asked dozens of people and places and no one could give me a straight answer.

And would a soft shell or gore-tex be good for the night time desert?? I'd like to wear it in the snow, too.
If soft shell or gore-tex is what you recommend to begin with that would be grand because I'd like to save weight.
>>
File: fsg.jpg (57KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
fsg.jpg
57KB, 480x640px
I've worn the same commando wool sweater in both -15F weather, and out Black Rock Desert in the intense sun.

Got a bit sweaty, but the lightest of breezes cooled me down well.

The answer is always wool.
>>
File: wtfdidyoujustsayabout.jpg (1MB, 2048x2560px) Image search: [Google]
wtfdidyoujustsayabout.jpg
1MB, 2048x2560px
>>868437

Ok I'll give you breakdown I used in the past with much cool.

If you have tents and sleeping bags for your trip I think your soft shell should be fine for sitting around camp fire at night and going for the 2am bush shit etc.

Day time and if you mobile get the following:

>Columbia UV sun shirt

Lose fitting sun resistant shirt for wearing over your T shirt or under garment of choice. Get a light colour like Tan or White stay away from Blue/Grey/Red as they get super warm because of the sun baking the colour.

>Pants

It kind of comes down to how you roll usually. I use Rapid Dry nylon pants with long/short leg conversion zips to make it into shorts if I want to go for a swim etc. Also has allot of pockets!

>Shoes/Boots

I always use desert boots that you can find almost anywhere. Trick is to use them with good breathing and sealing socks as you want to keep sand out and still be able to get warm/cold air in out of your feet. Thin cotton socks usually does it. Some say wool but seems to me it will make your feet take up allot of moisture and blister badly as soon as you take shoes of for the night.

>Hat/Buff

Get a hat to cover your dome. Be weary of mesh top hats as sun can still cook through your hair into your scalp. Rather go for light colour like tan/cream don't get white as it will fucking blind you from sun reflection off sand. Baseball cap with a buff or one of those 9/11 burka things should be more than efficient.
Soak your buff/jizz rag with water to keep your head cool when you traveling on foot. Do this only if you have spare water of course.

>WATER WATER CAMELBAGS BOTTLES FLASKS CONTAINERS PURIFIERS EVERYTHING YOU NEED NOT TO DIE.

>Sunblock High Factor SPF50 minimum. The spray can one's last for ever and has good distribution vs hand-lotion shit last time I was in desert I used the spf 75 and was fine.
>>
Linen is the best fabric for hot weather.
>>
What uncle ray writes about cloting in arid enviroments:
Wollen socks inside lightweight leather boots. If not available consider ex-military desert boots.
Underwear should be loose-fitting cotton. He likes to wear shorts, but long trousers are needed for evenings and to protect your skin from thorns, insects and the sunif if its very hot. Hats are a must against the sun and heat. Generally he advises lose-fitting, tightly woven cotton.
About the wet, humid climate: Here all the praise of cotton will become a problem. Cotton is only a good choise in arid conditions as it holds on to moisture (your sweat!) which will help you keep cool. In wet conditions - especially if it can get cold - you would want to stay the hell away from pure cotton fabric (50% cotton in shell-layer like trousers or wind/work jacket is OK, and is very common - like in military clothing).
So to sum that up you'll have to compromise somwhere. I'd say go for loose-fitting trousers in nylon-cotton or poly-cottonfabric in a light, rip-stop version. The same can be aplied to the shirt/light jacket that you might wear in the hot climate. That jacket or shirt is still usable in wet climates but less esential as you would bring a waterproof shell anyways. Choosing a loose wool shirt if you dont need a jacket might be a good choise since that would double as a great inner-layer for other climates

For insulation down has by far the best weight and packability. Down must be kept dry which is no problem in the desert. Down is also good for cold climates and generally as something that stays in your packthe whole day untill you put it on in the evening or mornings.

For something insulative that you wear while active (for cold climates and in the night in arid climates if you're doing tasks there, i guess) a simple fleece shirt is propably best. It is lighter than a similar wool shirt and will dry quicker. It will get more smelly, but that is less of a concern when it's not the closest to your skin.
>>
>>868765
About you question regarding shells:
Both softshells and hardshells (gore-tex or similar) would work in the nighttime in deserts, NP. However bringing a softshell would not make that much sence if you're already bringing someting like a thin BDU jacket (you allready have something windproof). A packable down jacket or just a fleece would again be more insulation for less weight and volume. If you dont wear a windproof jacket in the day you will need one if the nights can get cold to wear on the outside of your insulation if that insulation is not wind-proof in itself. In that case you could might just as well go for a hardshell since you will need something rainproof for the wet invironment anyways.
>>
>>868539
What do you mean soft shell is good for a campfire?
I'm ignorant and assume that soft shell would be good to repel snow and would also repel sweat in a desert. I'm also ignorant as to how much you actually sweat in a desert.

I also had no luck finding sun resistant shirts.
Also couldn't find and rapid dry pants.

I'd like to have something more durable for the pants besides linen plus I don't think linen would be good for the sun if I wore it as a shirt.

....still wondering what percentage blend for BDUs are best. I need to make sure the pats, especially, are durable. Leaning towards rip-stop/battle-rip.
>>
>>868437
well you can always wear a BDU, but I'm pretty sure you will be pretty miserable.
If you are looking for comfort you have to adapt.
>>
I did a bunch of work in the desert this past summer wearing lightweight all cotton BDU pants and moisture wicking underwear. It was pretty comfortable. The bagginess of the pants and the light weight made them very breathable, and I don't remember getting too sweaty.

I doubt something similar would be good for humid climates, though.
>>
>>868765
Nothing about wool? Except socks
>>
>>869702
He doesnt mention it in the section about arid climates but otherwise he praises wool a lot. I guess wool could work as a good alternative to cotton in extreme heat/dryness as long as its thin-weaved (just keep in mind that wool fabric in itself is not very tough). That wool would then also be great in cold/temperate conditions unlike cotton
>>
File: arab.jpg (67KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
arab.jpg
67KB, 800x800px
A thawb always worked well for me
>>
File: 1475602311749.jpg (34KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1475602311749.jpg
34KB, 600x450px
>>868437
I prefer to wear a 100% dress shirt and some breathable summer pants.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.