[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Skin-on-Frame Kayaks and Canoes: field expedient edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7

File: boatfin.jpg (40KB, 343x263px) Image search: [Google]
boatfin.jpg
40KB, 343x263px
Anyone make a kayak or canoe out of a tarp or plastic sheeting before? Anyone regularly use one?

I want a way to move from island-to-island on a slow-moving river, but still backpack back up the river without having to haul a boat. The idea is my friend and I would make sapling frames upon arrival, then leave the frames at our downriver point meaning we'd only need to haul the tarps back. So far this is the only option I can think of for being able to visit islands and sandbars along a waterway while still being able to hike 20-30 miles back to the vehicles.
>>
File: F1Z7R21FG9OH4X9.RECT2100.jpg (551KB, 2100x1734px) Image search: [Google]
F1Z7R21FG9OH4X9.RECT2100.jpg
551KB, 2100x1734px
OP here. I'll just post a few shitty example pics and vids in the meantime.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (352KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
352KB, 1920x1080px
>>
This vid is in Russian, but it's a pretty good looking boat and you can get the jist of it just from watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wgZkWiH4DY
>>
File: plastic-wrap.jpg (271KB, 762x566px) Image search: [Google]
plastic-wrap.jpg
271KB, 762x566px
>>
File: SeaOtterWrap3.jpg (121KB, 950x633px) Image search: [Google]
SeaOtterWrap3.jpg
121KB, 950x633px
Here's a plastic wrap kayak.
>>
File: 20827_2000x2000.jpg (425KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
20827_2000x2000.jpg
425KB, 2000x2000px
Ever heard of anyone turning a waterproof boatcover into a boat?

I imagine if they're made to take some gravel and other highway shit as well as branches and twigs from parking and from shit falling from overhanging trees, you should be able to make a boat out one, right?
>>
>>867708

No never but ive had some thoughts about using it to keep your boat clean in the water for easy cleaning..
>>
>>867738
heh.

Ever try Gel Gloss?
>>
>>867692
I've made SOF before but not with tarp, well I made a test skin with tarp once but never put it in the water.

Polytarp is tricky stuff to join, never found a glue that worked, had to either tape or stitch it, and if you stitch it it isn't much use as a tarp anymore. It'd also be wrinkly and therefore a bit slow. Should work for a short trip like that but be ready to tape pinhole leaks.
>>
I think you're severely underestimating the difficulty in crafting the frame and its subsequent viability as a canoe.

IMO your best bet would be something like a simplified canoe and an outrigger to keep you from tipping,

or,

I don't know what they're called, it's like a round basket boat thing? You make it by weaving the basket shape with the poles buried into the ground, you tie it all off to keep the tension and then cut the branches from the ground.

You'd need a rudder to actually go anywhere but it
'd be much quicker to construct. Could probably still setup an outrigger, too.

Alternatively, don't be pussies and just portage an actual canoe? A canoe is what, 25kg-30kg? One of you carry (or pull with a trolley) the canoe, the other takes the gear. Swap when you get stiff.

But if you have a few days to make a legit frame, and actually know how, then sure sounds good.

Also, they're VERY thin skinned. Think blow up canoes x100. Even a sandbar can be abrasive enough to rip it up.
>>
>>867797
Thanks.

>>867815
>I think you're severely underestimating the difficulty in crafting the frame and its subsequent viability as a canoe.

Nah. I'm aware.

>outrigger

That's more shit to carry and craft in the field.

>round basket boat thing

Not with a pack. Those are super unstable -- unstable if it's just you and a paddle/stick, unusable if you have a pack to haul, too.

>portage an actual canoe

We're not going to portage a fucking canoe 20-30 miles.

>thin skinned

That's one of the problems I'm looking into. There are commercial fabric canoes and kayaks out there already. If I had to make it out of just plastic sheeting, I'd go with the thickest stuff I can find (6 mil), which is twice as thick as a contractor bag. If I can do it better with something like waterproofed 10oz. polyester, super duty 18oz vinyl-coated polyester, or 15-18oz canvas, then that would be preferable.

I can deal with pinhole leaks when we wouldn't be in the boat for more than 20 minutes at a time, hopping from island to island.
>>
Do yourself a favor and google "packraft".

Supai Flatwater in mine. Though the NRS are nice.
>>
>>867844
>packraft
I don't see anything about how small they pack...
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-10-02-09-55-43.png (89KB, 320x480px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-10-02-09-55-43.png
89KB, 320x480px
>>867847
I have to ask, are you stoopid?
>>
>>867815
>I think you're severely underestimating the difficulty in crafting the frame and its subsequent viability as a canoe
SOF is the easiest way to build a boat, even I can do it. It won't be high performance but it won't be too hard to make something that floats. It sounds like OP will be mostly floating downstream. I would make a test boat first though just to make sure I had a decent design and secured the tarp properly.

>I don't know what they're called
Coracles.
>>
>>867825
>If I can do it better with something like waterproofed 10oz. polyester, super duty 18oz vinyl-coated polyester, or 15-18oz canvas, then that would be preferable.
I used canvas waterproofed with diluted silicone sealant for mine: >>864706
>>
>>867698
Wow, that guy has amazing videos.
>>
>>867974
Yes he does. Even though they're all in Russian, there were still several things I picked up from watching them. He's def a Russian bushcrafter, with a whole different toolbox of techniques than those we see recycled amongst English-speaking bushcrafters.
>>
>>867960
looks good
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.