[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

trappers?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 13

File: mår.jpg (11KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
mår.jpg
11KB, 300x168px
long time lurker here, just wondering if there are any trappers out here on out? Post your setups, traps, catches and what kind of animals you trap.

Just bought 12 conibears 160 for trapping martens. Doing it as part of wildlife management up here in scandinavia.
>>
File: 20160902_185652.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160902_185652.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>866856
Skunker harassing my quails, I'm allowed to trap on private property
Also got a wild cat
This is using the 220 connibear
>>
Ive been thinking about hunting and trapping.
Any noob advise?
>>
>>867658
Find out if your state has a fur trappers' club and if said clubs put on a clinic weekend. They will likley administer your state'a trapping liscene test there. The sport is dying so most old hands are more than willing to teach a newcomer. Also trapperman.Com forums.
Source: Guy who had his first trapping season at 21 years old this winter past
>>
I used to trap more as a teenager, but don't do it very much anymore. A couple years ago when fur prices went through the roof I got back into it for a season and ran a muskrat line. 110 conibears, 1 1/2 coilsprings, and -- for the first time ever -- some colony traps.

I'm sold on colony traps for 'rats. Those 12 traps outproduced dozens of conibears and foothold sets combined. They produced when I used them to block runs cross-wise for other traps! If fur prices go back up, my plan is to use a few 160's or 210's (single-spring 220's) and colony traps everywhere else I can.

There are guys in the Dakotas catching 5000 rats a season like that. (Protip: you can trap all public right-of-ways out there) When muskrat pelts were averaging $12 a piece a couple years ago, think about the kind of money they made for 6 weeks of hard, hard work pulling huge corn-fed 'rats out of ditches and marshes.

I wish raccoon prices would go up, since there are huge Wisconsin coons everywhere where I live now. Tons of mink, too, but with the rise of mink farms that pelt will never go back up again.

Canines are the only consistent money south of the taiga, but they're tough to catch in numbers unless that's all you do like the coyote guys on the northern plains or the fox guys in Pennsylvania.

Canadians, Russians, Scandinavians -- anyone with a long line in the subarctic can still make a living off of catching martin, wolves, wolverines, and lynx. I think global warming will probably lead to the collapse of those prices, too, someday soon.

Pic is of a book I read many times as a kid, highly recommended for any anon starting out. Also, don't forget to read your buyer's fur handling guide. (like this one: http://www.nafa.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/NAFA_PeltHandlingManual-E-web1.pdf )
>>
>>867658
Take a trappers education course if your state offers one. It is highly worth it. Or find a trapper in your area and try to be his apprentice. Remember to practice safe and humane dispatch methods and use sets that will dispatch the animal quickly and humanely. Use your fucking head when you set your traps. If you see dog tracks or if it's a high traffic area, just move on and set elsewhere.
>>
File: 20160820_142744.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px)
20160820_142744.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Not wild fur but a ranched silver fox, this thing was one of the most beautiful furs I've ever seen.
>>
File: full-14666-299767-image.jpg (47KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
full-14666-299767-image.jpg
47KB, 640x480px
>>867788
Different anon but would like to add some to this post because some anons will likely be curious on catching these numbers. It isn't as easy as buy traps and go catch these large numbers of fur. You MUST HAVE WORK ETHIC. The guys that catch those numbers are hands down some of the hardest workers you will EVER meet, they don't trap for two months and have 10 months of vacation. They are working their asses off 24/7/52. They also spent years establishing their lines and honing their skills when prices were low so when the prices went back up they reaped in the rewards very well. It isn't a 9-5 job, some of the pros are literally running 18-24 hours a day some days because they know it's the only way to catch a thousand fox or 5,000+ rats or 2,000 coon or 500 coyotes in a season. Pic related, you just got done running your line for 12+ hours pulling and moving sets , 20+ beaver(that's a decent day on a beaver line but FAR from a GREAT day, you wouldn't believe a GREAT day on a line...) an otter and some rats. Now it's time to skin these critters. Are you a fast skinner? 10 min average per beaver, that average includes unloading the beaver from the truck, sharpening knives and all the little things, yes people can skin beaver in just 3 minutes but they likely will not keep up that average. Not a fast and efficent? 20 or 30 minute average. Then the rats and otter. Then you have to get your truck and equipment ready for the next day.
>>
>>867813

100% agree, anon.

Still, you're running lines and doing HARD work wading through marsh and shit 18-20 hours a day for only 6 weeks. It's a lot like working on an oil rig. 6 weeks for ~$50,000..........

..............but not when 'rats are only $2.95 each or whatever the last fur prices were. Fucking coons down to TWO-to-SIX DOLLARS?!? In 2014 the Chinese bought all the fur everywhere and prices were awesome, but we won't see prices like that for a long time.

On the other hand, martin, wolf, wolverine, lynx -- the long-line trappers in northern Canada, Russian, Finland, etc. -- many of those guys don't have to work 18 hour days all winter. They literally have locked-in prices and fur contracts with Fur Harvesters and NAFA. That's a completely different world from trapping muskrats.

So yes, one should not quit their day job to go trap. But, if the Chinese and Russian economies start doing awesome and major fashion houses showcase fur on the runway like they did prior to the 2014 season (pic related), it might be worth it to take a vacation from work and bust your ass on the trapline for a few weeks.
>>
File: IMG_20150820_192406.jpg (810KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150820_192406.jpg
810KB, 2048x1536px
I'm a trapper, ama.
>>
>>866856
Haven't done much recently. my trapping access is drying up. I don't expect great prices since Russia and eastern Europe buy most of the fur. Russia is hurting with low oil prices and much of last years furs didn't sell. Muskrats are my biggest by far. My uncle catches a lot of coons .
>>
>>867833
It's a lot like commercial fishing, heck commercial fishing is real good training for it.
>2.95 rat average
I could be wrong but I believe it was lower, around 2.50. At least for MN 'rats.
Prices will be even worse this year sadly... oil prices just need to start going up and our fur will be pulling in money again. I don't want $12 rat averages though, 5 or 6 bucks is perfect. At 12 bucks a slough will be hit by a dozen trappers in a season and at every bridge there's a handful of trappers, entire lines or stolen etc. At 5 or 6, money is made and the riff raff is kept at home.
People say trappers can't hurt rat populations but prices hit 12 bucks, every hut, trickle and run is hammered like a cheap hooker and then there's no longer any rats the next few years, then prices tank, little to no trapping pressure and suddenly every pond has huts...
Back in 2013 I invested in almost 400 1.5s to hammer rats (not because of prices, I've always trapped and was finally of age to make money to invest in equipment to fulfill my dream of longlining.) I go to scout and not a single fucking hut anywhere, the year before there were thousands of huts in my area. The huts are back this year and even at predictions of 2.00 averages money can be made... time to fulfill the dream.
>>
>>867833
I actually work at FHA, fur prices look like they may rebound this season. but yes, things are not doing amazing price wise
>>
i want to trap a european roe deer, for reasons.

how to do it, i would prefer homemade setups that cant be traced back to me, due to legal reasons.
i can not go out and shoot them, the only way to get one is using traps.
trapping is highly illegal over here, but i need to catch a roe deer.
>>
>>867835
you should make a toe coat out if it
>>
>>868068
Reasons why it'll rebound? Specific animals?
>>
>>868068
Any inside info on the Chinese fur market?
>>
>>868194
Foot snare. It's been used to trap deer since cordage existed.

I can't find an illustration of the one I'd recommend, but the snare loop is set in a triangle across the ground. If you come across that one, it's the old "non-wire" method for foot snaring deer and bear.
>>
>>867859
Can you / Have you / Do you use colony traps for 'rats? I put away most of my footholds after I started using them as I found them to be that much more productive.
>>
File: 1475296998351.png (405KB, 628x418px) Image search: [Google]
1475296998351.png
405KB, 628x418px
>>867813
I live in canada any advice for someone who wants to get into the hobby as small time and nothing wholesale just make leathers and hats and maybe get meat on the table?
note there are alot of rabbits and foxes also racoons.
>>
trap thread?
>>
>>868318
Yes I use them when I have the opportunity, they are very efficient my only problem with them is I find that they are a little too efficent in some spots and are a little unethical depending how they are set. If I jam them right in front of a den I have pretty much a 100% chance of catching all the ones in that den, there's nothing left to chance. Where in runs, if the rat wants to it has the opportunity to go over the trap or in a bottom edge it can go over/around. My goal when prices were high was to make up over a hundred colony traps and when ice first hits, take a nice run out on a big slough and set the runs. The amount to be caught would have been ridiculous but as I said before, where were the rats? Looking back I was also way in over my head for what I was dreaming of at that point in time.
I like the footholds for my trapping methods because I drive my boat up to a hut, attach my traps to my stakes and set 1-5 traps on a hut either on their little feed piles on the sides or where they crawl up and down the sides to build up their huts. Hundreds of traps in a day and good catch rates, then come winter when ice is thick I can turn around and use my footholds in the huts or if I want I can turn around and run some pockets for coon/mink/rats if I don't want to be out on a marsh all day.
>>868380
Your best bet is to learn how to trap beaver, they are by far the tastiest animal in the wild. I'd pin the flavor on being a beefy venison. I've fed it to many people and they all go "wow, that's actually delicious." The fur can be used for warm clothing or buckskin, the tail can be eaten or the tail leather can be used to make wallets and more. I know Canadians are very progressive with their trapping, they want to ensure the best methods are used. I'm almost positive their are loads of associations that offer classes on it or that can direct you towards a trapper in your area to help you out. Are you in a more populated area or an area more rural?
>>
>>868386
Gtfo with your degenerate tranny shit, you fags ruin every board.
>>
>>868386
go back to /b/ child
>>
>>868386
Degenerate, in the oven with you...
>>
Bump to keep alive.
>>
>>867313
Jeez it got completely fucking rekt.

Did you use any bate/what bate did you use?
>>
File: 20161006_235858.jpg (4MB, 2018x1938px)
20161006_235858.jpg
4MB, 2018x1938px
>>870746
Dead quail :(
I put the trap where I knewe animals were coming from, under the gate there's dirt dug up
Unfortunately the skunk sprayed as it died
>>
>>868300
Why would you help someone poach deer?
>>
>>870749
I was actually really curious if they sprayed when they died, thanks for answering the question.

Do you have any quail-raising tips?
>>
>>870753
Eh not really they're easy to raise. Nothing complicated if you have specific questions I can answer em.
>>
>>870755
>>870753
I used to have some and they bred like crazy, whenever I was walking through their enclosure I had to watch out that I wasn't stepping on eggs.
>>
>>868248
underrated
>>
>>870759
Yea animals that grow faster has crazy sex drives. Quails get mature in 8 weeks and lay eggs almost everyday. Honestly quail are for suburban people, if I had space and my town allowed me I'd keep chicken.
>>
>>870753
Depends on the dispatch method, some ways they spray when they die, other ways though don't.
>>
>>870814
Best way to take care of skunks is to use a syringe on the end of a long pole filled with denatured alcohol. Just walk up to them slowly and sing a calming little song, then poke them in the chest and inject. With this method I've never had one take more than 2 minutes to loose consciousness and die. Also this way I've never had one spray.
Next best method would be a .22 to the lungs, they seem to always spray when you pop them in the head.
>>
>>870752
i poach deer myself for religious reasons.

nothing wrong with it.
>>
>>871738
Sure, but trapping deer is highly illegal more so than regular poaching (at least in Ontario) if you're going to hunt deer maybe try to follow local ordinances. If someone finds a deer in a trap you're in big shitrouble. Also if deer in trap gets on news libs will throw more shit on hunters
>>
>>871768
this is the reason to use traps that cant be traced back to you and set them up in some distance to trails
also check them every few hours to reduce your risk.

trapping is the only way to catch them alive.
>>
>>872007

>implying dedicated libtards wouldn't wait in the woods for your fat ass to come waddling back
>>
>>871768
in the end you get a deer. does it really matter how you do it ?
>>
>>871738
>i poach deer myself for religious reasons
>religious reasons
>religious
>>
>>871053
Use acetone senpai
>>873159
>shitpost
>>
>>868194
You can't make a vague yet intriguing post like this and not explain why you need the deer
>>
>>868300
thank you.
>>873265
this board is sfw lets keep it that way.
i recently saw someting on radom that i would love to try
>>
>>873409
Anon pls no.
You´ll make baby jesus sad.
>>
>>873409
You mean /degenerate/?
>>
now I don't know much about trapping, but ewe have a ourselves a bit of a fox problem

and recommendations?
I work metal so I can make traps if needed

only concern is accientally catching retard dogs or possums or shit like that
>>
>>875357
You're probably not going to be able to make a good trap or catch a fox without any knowledge or experience. And if you try to do it without any knowledge or experience, the only thing you'll catch are retard dogs and possums (and skunks).

Find some books on trapping at your local library and start there. I mean it. Once you're at least basically familiarized with some terms and concepts, you'll be able to recognize which information to seek out. At that point, look at getting a book on fox trapping by Russ Carmen, Tom Miranda, Ray Milligan, or S. Stanley Hawbaker. You probably have state or provencial Trappers' Association in your area, too, and these guys are willing to teach newbs.
>>
>>875368
well I suppose I'm glad I asked
>>
File: 161014_140637.png (308KB, 880x495px)
161014_140637.png
308KB, 880x495px
So I was half trolling and half serious in a trapping post I made on /k/ and got sent here. I'll copy/paste.

""So one day I want to hunt.

But I am a lazy bastard. Ironically I'm also impatient.

So I was thinking about traps. Naturally it's controversial, because of humane harvesting and danger to humans.

So I got an idea.

A "friendly" bear trap device. Something that at worst would bruise a human leg, and at least give it an "Indian sunburn".

Behold my pic! I used the RB6 Frost trap because its square and not circular.

The red lines represent where there would be no metal. Instead something like an engine drive belt cause they are flexible and have teeth. The metal parts in blue would overlap ensuring a very tight fit of the flexible red lines. The yellow line is a hinge which are a one way ratchet, maybe with 9000 teeth to ensure its as tight as possible.

The trap can have a code on it only humans can understand, like.... Words on how to free yourself.

So, whatcha think?

Humane, doesn't break skin or bones, etc. I'm just worried about animals chewing through the flexible jaws so should I add a smoke grenade laced with sedatives? Can opium be air dispersed? Lots of that around here. A mix of opiates soluble in propylene glycol in a soup can and a road flare under it that ignites when the trap is triggered!!!

Guys I think this is genius. ""

OK so my meme shitfest aside and intentionally stupid wording, would this idea work?

Motor belts have teeth and last millions of engine cycles. They are tough as hell.

I used a video game trap because it has two jaws instead of one which would keep the animal from slipping out because of extra overlap.
>>
>>876088
yeah already exists

but bear trapping is illegal most everywhere anyway
>>
>>868248
sounds pretty comfy
>>
>>876088
Why not just a Belisle footsnare?
>>
>>872014
If they're out in the woods, just put a bullet in 'em and bury a libtard.
>>
>>879157
This post is so stupid it deserves only a Reddit-tier reaction image.

Congratulations sir.
>>
>>870753
Live trapping skunks and covering the cage and slowly submerging them keeps them from spraying. They don't get alarmed, which is why they spray.
>>
File: images (1).png (3KB, 152x200px)
images (1).png
3KB, 152x200px
>>879269
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.