[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GPS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (21KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21KB, 300x300px
In nine months I will be leaving the Marine Corps. In that time I was thinking about getting a good civilian GPS since I will no longer be working with MGRS. Right now I am extremely familiar with the Garmin Foretrex and was wondering what other options are out there.
>>
Use a cellphone you stupid fuckin' jarhead
>>
>>866238
Yup.
>>
I jsut got one because raisins. Can you just talk about how to use it properly please?
>>
>>866238
No cell service where I go.
>>
>>866324

>SATPHONE
>>
>>866235
freebee from afghanistan? yes?
>>
File: DSC02514-L.jpg (174KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02514-L.jpg
174KB, 800x600px
>>866235
Figure out what features you want. Form factor, external I/O (Bluetooth/short-range radio, USB, serial, external power), size/form-factor (Handheld, wrist-mount, dash-mount, touch-screen vs. hard-buttons), etc.

Any device worth spending money on today can download and display maps - These can be additional $$ (Garmin Topo or CityNavigator) or free (sites like openstreetmap, gpsfiledepot). I don't recommend a receiver without an external/MicroSD card slot.

Foretrex is decent. Montana's kind of "the standard" for trail/offroad use. 6x/7x offer hard buttons, and the 7x has the big heavy-duty 4-pin round connector.

Phones ... have better screen resolution, maps update real-time as long as you have service... I don't care for the UI much. Takes too many buttons/keys/menus to do what a "real" GPS does with one or two buttons.
>>
You download maps when you have service/wifi obviously.

Put phone on airplane mode and use the built in locator it has.

How do people not know this? Gaia GPS has made handhelds useless.
>>
>>866270
The best way is to just go out and use it man. Take a walk around your neighborhood drop some waypoints and just get a feel for the system before you take it inna woods. Other than that always have a compass cause you never know when you'll need it.
>>
>>866478
This
Also, I use my compass with a GPS often.
When stopped, a GPS isn't very good with directions (Doesn't know which direction it's pointing). The electronic compasses kind of suck unless you cal it regularly; the altimeters are even worse.
>>
>>866235

Garmin etrex 20 is a great GPS I recommend it. I use my for hiking, MTB and even in my car when the sun's too hot to put my phone up on the windshield.

I hate touchscreens when out and sweaty/dirty, so the etrex has that little joystick which is OK and resistant. You can "buy" commercial maps at torrent sites, and I load up with OSM. Get a solid few days out of 2AA, no recharging needed.
>>
>>866542
Have 20x too, the only drawback is no button lock.
Apart form that you can even even add picture overlays on the maps, though the image size must not exceed 1mb iirc (with sum fiddling you can even overlay google map tiles)
>>
>>866560

Yeah it's a pretty flexible device. I don't have any problem with the button lock as I either have it carabinered on my pack or in my hand with a lanyard. For the fancier stuff I still always have my android phone turned off buried in the pack with offline maps.
>>
>>866235
mgrs is civilian, you fucking retarded faggot. the stupid watch gps in your pic will work fine if u can steal one. otherwise there are far smaller watch gps solutions now.

you either aren't even in the military, or are in some pussy area. you apparently don't know shit about basic gps.
>>
File: Beavis.png (28KB, 122x121px) Image search: [Google]
Beavis.png
28KB, 122x121px
>>869018
> mgrs
Military Grid Reference System
MILITARY

Usually I buy/print UTM maps, which is the same thing without letters in the coordinates.

The Foretrex 401 works fine for me. I tried using the GPS in my phone, but it takes way to long to find my location and the battery life of my phone is nothing compared to the battery life of the Gamin.
>>
>>866235
Garmin 64a, love it. Works well, just bought it last year for use in the Adirondacks. Great maps, tracking and lots of bells & whistles. It's buttons and not touch screen which is preferred in wet conditions.
>>
>>866324
Osmand can download maps for offline use
>>
>>866542
>>866560
Is the etrex 30 worth it compared with 20? Or, are the altimeter/compass reliable?

Also, how detailed are the included maps? I expect to be more than what a TomTom-alike device will have, at least for the main hiking paths on Western Europe.

Im' seriously considering to buy it.
>>
i am using the garmin gpsmap 64s and i can highly recommend it
>>
>>866235
A shit bag enlisted Pvt will not need a GPS unit. They will be issued only to important people like officers and NCOs. Now go sweep the motor pool
>>
File: DSC03195_.jpg (62KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
DSC03195_.jpg
62KB, 800x533px
>>872553
>altimeter/compass reliable
If you calibrate them often (weekly), they're decent.
GPS elevation is fine for most uses.
Compass ... unnecessary fluff IMO. Carry a cheap one, they're a lot more useful than the electronic one in the receiver. That one's irrelevant when you start moving anyways.
Take a few steps in the direction you want to shoot, and the GPS will update your heading. When you're stopped, it'll wander around.
>>
File: i-N2Nz4Qx-L.jpg (137KB, 799x600px) Image search: [Google]
i-N2Nz4Qx-L.jpg
137KB, 799x600px
>>872553
>how detailed are the included maps?
Basemap is pretty much worthless. Major roads/highways, country boundaries. GPS is still functional with the basemap, just doesn't have the detail or POI's underneath your user data (tracks/waypoints/routes).
>>
File: i-4CsHpr9-L.jpg (183KB, 799x600px) Image search: [Google]
i-4CsHpr9-L.jpg
183KB, 799x600px
Map page on this screen (Garmin CityNavigator) is the same location as the map screen in >>874425, only difference is that >pic related has CityNav loaded.

>Some free options
GPSFileDepot dot com, if there's something useful that fits your needs on there, free is a good price.
Coverage/consistency may be hit-or-miss depending on how much area you want in the map. Manufacturer's maps are better at that, especially at a country- or continent-wide level.

GPS still functions the same with additional mapsets loaded, you just have a better library for roads (name, where they go, type of road (highway, side-road, trail)) and points of interest (food, fuel, hotels, auto service/repair, shopping, etc).
>>
Anyone have a Garmin Oregon 750t? Worth the money?
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.