[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I into archery? Im thinking of getting a recurve just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 9

How do I into archery?

Im thinking of getting a recurve just for cost and learning reasons, eventually getting a compound to use for hunting when i get the hang of the recurve.

Whats a good budget for babbys first bow? Im a strong guy so i could handle a relatively high pull strength

What accessories do i really need for a basic target shooting setup, maybe venturing into some small game before going compound
>>
Bow
Arrows
Target
Expert advice doesn't come free, that'll be $14.99 please
>>
>>866040
>Whats a good budget for babbys first bow?
You can get a Samick Polaris or Sage for less than $150 and both will work pretty will.

>Im a strong guy so i could handle a relatively high pull strength
Bows use different muscles (And in a different way) than most people usually use their muscles. Don't think that just because you're strong, using a bow isn't going to feel awkward as fuck at first. Generall, something with a 30/35 lb. draw is good for beginnings. Any more than that, and you'll probably develop some bad habits.

>>866040
>What accessories do i really need for a basic target shooting setup
A bow, a target (unless you're going to a range), a tab/glove, an armguard, a stringer, and arrows. That's pretty much all you really need.

And I really want to stress the importance of getting your technique down with a recurve before moving to a compund, if that's what you want to do. Every time I go to the local range, I see people with terrible technique using compound bows and wondering why they shoot inconsistently. Don't be one of those guys.
>>
>>866040
>pic
>shooting that many arrows into 1 target

Seems like a good way to break your equipment.

Also, this is the only video you need to watch, OP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEG-ly9tQGk
>>
I'm just getting into archery too, OP.

what helped me out a lot was light up notches. I was able to find my lost arrows, figure out how they flew, and it greatly increased my ability to hit a target.
>>
>>866040
if you are really strong you might just start at 40 lbs
it is adviced to start at 25 to 30 lbs to develop a good form

most take down recurve bows in the 100-200 dollar range come from the same chinese factory so it is wise to look at other manufacturers

the sage is said to have stacking so better take the journey (same bow, just longer) if you are tall and have a longer draw

you are better off with some protection for you draw fingers and for your arm and maybe a quiver

the most important thing are the arrows; they have to be right for your draw and need a certain weight

>>866082
don't fall for this video, its trick-shooting

start at a very short distances (maybe 5 yards), if you hit about 80% of lets say 100 arrows in a small space move 1 or 2 yards further away and repeat
this way your brain remembers the distances
>>
>>866040

If you want to shoot compound as your main game, I'd recommend you just do that. Compound and trad are quite different in terms of form and I reckon the line that people push about recurve form carrying over to compound is a bit dubious. Either is worth taking up though - I shoot both myself.

Re: recurves, everything mentioned so far is pretty accurate. You'll definitely want the armguard. On arrows, I'd go carbon straight off. Something like a Gold Tip Hunter in a 500 spine with feathers. Gold Tip has a lot of modularity in point weight, which makes tuning substantially easier.

On compounds, you don't get good form by shooting a recurve, you get it by learning and practicing good compound form. Just like with a recurve, you don't just pick one up and pull on the string, there's a way to put your hand on the grab, a way to rotate your bow arm, a way to draw the bow, etc.
>>
>>866226

If you do go recurve, instinctive shooting (i.e. >>866187 ) isn't the only option. Worth looking into shooting with a 3-under release and gap shooting too. See what works for you.
>>
>>866082

It's at a event, they don't care.
>>
>>866040
Used fiberglass recurve off ebay- $20
Arrows from Walmart (be sure to get correct length)- $3 a piece. (Buy like 10-12, whatever the packs or cheap arrow heads come in).
Bail of hay for backstop- $4 (get 2 and stack them)

Then if you like it, move up to something else.
>>
>>866040
Buy a Sammick Sage and then go to a shop to get arrows made. Trying to learn archery with shitty arrows is just an exercise in futility.
>>
>>866187
>don't fall for this video, its trick-shooting

All archery is trick shooting anon. All archery needs practice. You are just jelly and fully triggered by his skills you will never reach while sitting in your chair.
>>
>>866040
Maybe make your own?
If you are a beginner, a homemade one will be very light and you can learn how to master it before spending cash.
Im interested too in bows and crossbows but dont want to spend cash.
>>
>>868164
Or maybe he's triggered by all the bullshit claims Lars makes in that video. Seriously, it's been thoroughly debunked numerous times, and Lars himself even made a damage control video saying that he lied about a bunch of shit but didn't think it was a big deal because time constraints and reasons.

The guy has impressive skills, but he's a very specialized trick shooter that lies about the history behind his style and its effectiveness. If you want to do what he does, you can, but it won't be very useful for anything besides making videos that will impress your facebook friends. Either way, it's obvious trolling to share in a "how do I do archery?" thread.
>>
>>868468
this. And the retarded movie-and videogame inspired community defending him

it looks cool though and i'm sure there are many ways to approach archery but this one is not fittting in ops hunting context.
>>
File: three draw styles.png (178KB, 800x366px)
three draw styles.png
178KB, 800x366px
>>866040
Practice for what is comfortable. Remember to curve your forearm so the string does not slice it like a thin kebab. I tilt my bow slightly to the right (right handed shooter) so the arrow remains on the bow easier. Some people use scopes and thumb releases but if you stick to a simple, low draw weight recurve like the other anons say then you will be fine with just your fingers. Try gloves if you find the string wrecks your fingers too much. I found just toughing through the pain makes it easier to shoot later on
>>
>>868885
When aiming, remember to focus on nothing but what you want to hit. The center of the target, an apple on Johnny's head, that rabbit you want for stew, etc. When you release the arrow, don't push it or slide your hand. Just uncurl your fingers or thumb to allow the string to go. It will handle it. Never take your eye off the target. Even after you shoot. A slight nudge from the string hand or the hand on the bow might push your arrow off course. Wait until you hear the arrow contact the target before you make a move.
>>
>>868887
>Off-ByOne Kenobi

Aiming is up to you too. I've seen people pull the arrow behind their ear and use both eyes to aim. I've seen chaps pull to their cheek and only use their dominant eye to aim. I am sure there is a proper way to do it, but whatever works for you. As long as you hit the target reliably I don't think it matters how you do archery
>>
File: 1870 - Samurai Archers.jpg (357KB, 1400x1124px) Image search: [Google]
1870 - Samurai Archers.jpg
357KB, 1400x1124px
>>868889
>>
File: Hungarian horse archer.jpg (566KB, 1369x1054px) Image search: [Google]
Hungarian horse archer.jpg
566KB, 1369x1054px
>>868890
When you get good enough, try taking your skillz on horseback
>>
File: different arrow heads.jpg (121KB, 452x556px) Image search: [Google]
different arrow heads.jpg
121KB, 452x556px
>>868892
Don't mess around with real arrowheads either. When practicing, stick with the basic blunt style that Walmart and Target sells. They do the job but won't absolutely destroy your practice target
>>
File: toxic arrowhead.jpg (143KB, 1399x879px) Image search: [Google]
toxic arrowhead.jpg
143KB, 1399x879px
>>868893
I mean look at this thing
>>
>>868894
I saw a demo on those on youtube, they fucking shred
>>
>>868893
Field points, dingus. Not blunts.
>>
>>866082
>posting Lars. Why, man?
>>
>>869043
Exactly, blunts are for small game birds.

in an unrelated note: self bows. Any one here make their own bow?
>>
>>868894
lemme guess zombie hunting arrows?
>>
I have a 50 pound samick sage.
It's fun.
>>
>>871107
I'd guess for turkey.
I've seen some bad ass shots where they cut off their head.
I doubt I'd ever be that accurate.
>>
Go to a range.

There is a range near me that does "cheep date night" one a week. 2 people shoot as long as they want for 30 bucks. They give you pretty good bows and ok arrows to use. My plan is that I'm not spending money on archery stuff until I go at least 20 times.
>>
My dad recently gave me his old recurve bow. It's been on a shelf unstrung in his closet for the better part of two decades. I was thinking of taking it out sometime soon (I have some ranges in the area) and giving it a shot.

Is there anything I should do before stringing/using it? I know that bows can get messed up if left strung for long periods of time; can the opposite happen? Do I need to "stretch" the wood or anything? Last thing I want to happen is to try it out and have it snap -- even if I can never use it again, the bow's beautiful and I would rather leave it as a wallhanger than turn it in to a scrap pile.
>>
>>871107
These are for big game believe it or not

The idea is to create holes to bleed out. Theres mixed reviews though some say theyre great some say not so good things
>>
>>872415

Not really. Have a look at your string and see if a new one is in order maybe. Look for fraying, areas of wear, that sort of thing and get a new one made if you need to (it kind of goes without saying not to just throw some paracord or whatever on there - also, if in doubt, get a B50 string rather than D97, fastflight, etc).

Bow shouldn't need any stretching or anything. If you've never strung a bow before, get a bow stringer and use that to do it.

Couldn't hurt to check over the limbs and see if there's any damage or delamination.

Also, if you're totally new to this, do it with your dad.
>>
>>872461
Yeah I was going to play it safe and get a new string regardless.

I've strung it before, albeit with a stringer and my dad's help (IIRC it's 60-lb pull and I was 12 the last time I handled it). I'm picking up a new stringer as well because it looks like it's on its last leg.

I checked, and I didn't see any cracks, bubbles, or warping. I may have missed something because I'm not very familiar with it, but at the very least there are no gross defects or damages.

Thanks Anon!
>>
>>866040
coming from 5+ years working in a pro shop. The first thing you need to do is identify is your end goal, meaning hunting (anything at all), target shooting (serious and competitive), or just being that asshole who has a bow and thinks their a bamf and wants their friends to try it too.
If you want to hunt, skip all the bullshit and get right to a compound bow, drop $700 for a fully set up Mission bow, and you'll never look back. Compound is the easiest style of shooting to learn and the only real option when it comes to serious hunting. (not the hurr durr i shot a squirrel hunting).
If target shooting is the object, and you want to git gud then go with a Hoyt or Win&Win entry level with aluminum riser (about $550). If you go with a fuckboy wood on wood bow your going to plateau in a few short months because the bows generally more inconsistant and lack features necessary to add accessories like plungers, clickers, and possibly even stabilizers (things that every self-respecting recurve shooter uses to improve consistency).
A sage is a good bow for someone who wants to shoot a couple arrows a week and hit a target not much further than 18 meters.Sure you could learn some fundamental elements using one, form, posture, anchoring, and aiming, but even so, after you learn those you will still be hitting 3's and 4's half the time do to the one-step-above-shit-tier quality of your equipment.
Go to the nearest pro-shop with a decent budget in mind, and they will steer you in the right direction.
>>
>>871079
i've been interested in trying, but i haven't found any proper wood for it. the trees immediately local to me are too knotty.

then again, i haven't exactly looked very hard.
>>
How do I go about choosing what broadhead to get? I just got a 30lb recurve bow?
>>
>>874609
30 lb is not that much engery so it needs to be smaller two blade design for best penetration

are you allowed to hunt with that draw weight?
>>
>>872661
Your post comes across as a bit elitist, a "my way or the highway" attitude.

What would you recommend for someone who has literally zero archery retailers nearby and wants to learn to shoot barebow?
>>
>>872661
You can hunt with a recurve, quite easily i might add
>>
>>868468
>>868610
>it's historical so it needs to be boring

you seems like fun history-majors guys
>>
>>868414
>>871079
Check out backyardbowyer on youtube for diy bows. PVC bows but they have anywhere between 30-60#.
>>
File: 20160906_152710.jpg (983KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20160906_152710.jpg
983KB, 2560x1440px
>>866066
All the correct advice is here. Samic sage is a great option due to being able to swap out the limbs for heavier ones once you start to advance. Also work on your technique/form and dont forget to follow thru after you release
>pic is my sage 40#
>>
How does one know if their compound is set too heavy?
I've got a mission craze and I see a lot of people saying 40 lbs is a lot.
Which is cool and dandy but it sounds like a lot if everyone's saying that, and I'm only 155 lbs at 5'7". My hand can wrap around 2/3rds of my arm at the biggest point

Idk. This far in this sounds like a stupid and weird question, but I'm too far in to quit haha.
Tldr, if I don't feel like it's too much, then is it not too much?
>>
>>872661
Fucking hell i hate you "proshop shill" fucktards.
>hurr durr if u dint spend $500+ ur gettin crap
>muh eqipment
You tards are the reason i stopped going to the range. I get condencending shit from u idiots for having "inferior equipment" yet am able to hit consistently tight groups. All the while the $1000 training wheel compundfags are shooting like Michael J Fox with cringeworthy form and not following thru their shots.
Eat shit and kill yourself frienddo
>>
>>874789
Its only too heavy if you're blowing through your target and can't find your arrows.
Higher rate will have more accuracy and more range, so run it (generally) as high as is comfortable.
>>
>>874816
So I suppose I'm in the green then, thanks anon
>>
>>874789
40# is a lot for a recurve since there's no let-off. It's actually on the lower side of average for your body type. But that's fine if you're just starting.
The only real way to know if it's too much is if you have trouble drawing it back.
>>
>>874984
Sorry, lower end of average for a compound.
>>
>>874636
I live in Maryland, and 30# is legal to use. There are a metric shit ton of regulations here, holy shit.
>>
>>866040

don't piss off this autist

youtu.be/8p3NvizhnU4
>>
>>866040
Search for a club or training site near you. You need a trainer and let him handle the first bow and arrow.

I´m training now for 3 months, my first bow was a recurve for 100 Euro and per Arrow 7 Euro. It´s normal at my range to do a 5 Arrow run, so you shoot them with 3-6 people and the pick them up.

Even just with the Arrow you can do many things wrong, you need the correct spine-shit and many other things. It´s the best to join a club and have a real trainer.
>>
>>875138
regulations are a good thing

i know 30 is enough if the shot placement is right but what happens when you hit bone?

what bow do you have?

i recently switched from a 30lb fiberglass stick bow to a 40lb recurve for target shooting and it is a huge difference when shooting around 8 gpi
>>
>>875342
Samick sage, I was told it was a very good beginner bow, and that you could swap out the limbs for higher #' arms.
>>
>>875342
meant to say GPP
7 on the 30, 9 on the 40

>>875343
good. at least not a fiberglass stick
>>
>>875349
Its true I can just swap the limbs out right? I didn't get meme'd on did I? Also any recommendations on arrows?
>>
>>874984
The mission craze is a compound,
Regardless, it sounds like from you guys that if it feels too hard, it's too hard?
>>
Anyone here ever hunt a bear with a recurve?
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.