[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to actually go /out/!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 150
Thread images: 57

File: go_out_initiative_v1.7.1.jpg (647KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
go_out_initiative_v1.7.1.jpg
647KB, 1920x1080px
If you are a newfag: a school bagpack, a foam sleeping mat, a secand hand sleeping bag, a home depot tarp, sandwiches and beer is really all you need for an overnighter. No need to get high end shoes or a fancy tent. Trust me, its that easy!

In case you aren't a newfag: please post pics that would be good to illustrate gear. Nothing fancy, just pics where the item is on a light background and clearly visible.

Also, point out mistakes in wording or factual statements. We want to make this one better over time.
>>
>>865524
I'd highly recommend a decent little tent 'two person', its way better then using a shitty tarp especially in wet weather.
>>
File: IMG_0682.jpg (457KB, 1205x1901px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0682.jpg
457KB, 1205x1901px
>>865524
Flashlights are kewl too
>>
>>865524
>Winter almost here
You're going to get some people killed.
>>
File: 6X9silmonktarp.jpg (234KB, 1050x436px) Image search: [Google]
6X9silmonktarp.jpg
234KB, 1050x436px
>>865594

Agreed, will do.

>>865611

There is a headlamp, why bring a flashlight?

>>865624

Found the armchair survivalist.
>>
>>865624
>>865648
tbf, I wouldn't want an ethanol stove for winter weather. You also didn't mention down jackets.
>>
File: not a tarp.jpg (312KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
not a tarp.jpg
312KB, 960x540px
>>865594
totally agree

I think it's pretty reckless to advise a newbie to go /out/ with a tarp for shelter. If camping anywhere other than some garden of Eden you'll have tics, spiders, biting insects, venomous snakes, nasty weather. In 1982 working fast food, I saved up $80 (adjust for inflation: $200 today) to buy a nylon backpacker tent. That small investment made all the difference in my formative years. Today I sometimes go out with just a tarp but pic related is usually a better option.
>>
>>865524
thru hiked the at with:
>hammock
>wool blanket
>home depot tarp
>toothbrush/paste
>spoon
>phone/battery pack
>nalgene bottle
>debt card

thats it, i had 0 experience beforehand, only ate dry food outside of towns, didnt filter any water, pack weighed 15lb with food/water, made it in 94 days

60iq primitives can survive just fine /out/ with little gear, its not difficult at all when youre never more than 4 days from civilization
>>
File: 1462155290123.png (620KB, 574x540px) Image search: [Google]
1462155290123.png
620KB, 574x540px
>>865653
> tbrf, i didn't include climbing rope, and you will die in the mountains.
> tbrf, you didn't include a scuba tank, and you will die in the depth.
> tbrf, you didn't include sunglasses, and you will be blinded at the beach.
>>
File: 1463103270250.gif (3MB, 628x402px) Image search: [Google]
1463103270250.gif
3MB, 628x402px
>>865658
> I think it's pretty reckless to advise a newbie to go /out/ with a tarp for shelter.
> I think it's pretty reckless to go /out/.

Are you by chance a Trump voter?
>>
>>865594
True. But for your first overnight you can pick and choose the weather. Honestly I'd worry more about bugs than rain in the summer.
>>
File: one more hour.jpg (236KB, 864x648px) Image search: [Google]
one more hour.jpg
236KB, 864x648px
>>865856
>>865857
nice pics, you must really spend a lot of time /out/

On my last overnight stealth camped in the state forest after work. Swarms of mosquitoes followed me on the trail. Even with a headnet loose clothes and DEET they were after my ass. At one point I ran to break free. By the time i got to the campsite it was dark. tent was a breeze to put up. After midnight woke up a thumping sound overhead. With flashlight saw that a bat was sniping the cloud of bugs that were buzzing around no-see-um mesh roof. As the great outdoorsman that you are you already know what happens if a bat or mouse bites/scratches you in the woods. or was the thing that just walked over your face just a toad, katydid?
>>
File: 1468638420646.jpg (119KB, 800x532px) Image search: [Google]
1468638420646.jpg
119KB, 800x532px
>>865866

> Won't somebody please think of the children?

ITT, stories to scare newbies that never happened.
>>
Snap, a thread relevant to me. Hopefully I can put it back on track. I have gone fishing in the middle of nowhere with my uncle and father a bunch of times, but that was the most /out/ thing I did. I have recently taken up a more focused interest into /out/ things. I dont mean full on rambo survival, though bushcraft interests me also. My father has taken me to see many places in the U.S. and got me to appreciate whats around me more. So, are there any recommended books for this stuff? I live in middle TN, so how would an /out/ newbie even get a foothold into stuff like this? I walk the trails in a nearby state park fairly often also to get into better shape and to break out of my /in/ mentality.
>>
>>865857
Not that guy but I agree with him, they'd be better off starting with at least a $30 walmart tent, ozark's aren't the worst for their value or pic related. Plus if you buy a warranty Walmart will replace that shit like dozens of times if it ever breaks down. From what I've seen using a tarp straight up is usually reserved for bushcraft, ultralight, and experienced outdoorsmen because you're a bit more exposed. Not something I'd start someone just getting into backpacking with, it could leave them with a bad taste in their mouths.
>>
>>865938
Also, in terms of gear, I think I am set with the exception of a few things. I would take a picture but I gotta work soon and dont feel like laying it all out.
-I have a large fixed blade, a small fixed blade, and a pocket knife.
-I have a hatchet.
-I have a hammock, but no tarp or bug screen or whatever.
-I have bic lighters, matches, and magnesium fire starter.
-I have a headlamp and my trusty flashlight.
-I'm sure I can find a metal water bottle somewhere in my house.
-I am down with boiling water if I find myself needing to.
The backpack I have I dont think would be good for most camping things longer than a day/night, or maybe best as an auxiliary. I dont remember the brand it is, but it has a water bladder so thats a plus?
In terms of clothing, I dont have much that I feel like I would be comfortable doing /out/ stuff with, any recommendations?
>>
>>865950
trade the weight of redundant knives and firestarters for a tarp and a sawyer filter, and you're ready to go.

inb4 knifefags muh $300 nife can do anything
>>
>>865963
Oh k, really I'd feel fine with the hatchet, and the small fixed blade, was just laying out what I got.
So, how would I go about finding spots to camp? I always hear bad stories about the designated camping places, and honestly I think those wouldnt be fun anyhow. I'd be willing to go somewhere more accommodating that allows dispersed camping, but just knowing the where's and how's is what the problem is.
>>
File: 1436739778692.jpg (11KB, 425x306px) Image search: [Google]
1436739778692.jpg
11KB, 425x306px
>>865938

Surf here, but ignore the tinfoilhat stuff: http://urbansurvivalsite.com/ebooks/

>>865941

I agreed to that here: >>865648

It's the "I went out once and it was cold, so what you say is dangerous."-mentality that gets my feathers ruffled.

This is not a pic for discussing special circumstance-risks in the mountains or the arctic tundra. I can not please your desire to tell noobs that going out is dangerous in my pic.

> From what I've seen using a tarp straight up is usually reserved for bushcraft, ultralight, and experienced outdoorsmen because you're a bit more exposed.

Then you have to look harder. People used tarps before bushcraft or ultralight was a thing. It protects against rain. It has so for decades. Now it's reserved for special interest groups only? Fuck that!

But again, yeah, there is something to be said for cheap tents. I probably will recommend a Coleman Crestline 2, because it appears to be widely available in the US and Europe, cheap and not the worst. Have ordered one at amazon.de for 40 Eurobucks, should be here next week.

>>865950

Seems you need a tarp then. Make sure you bring a sleeping bag and a foam mat, or you will freeze your butt off in your hammock over night.

There is no need for special clothes really, bring the usual stuff that is appropriate for your weather and maybe an extra fleece for insulation when you chill out. If you want to buy stuff, the pic says something about clothes.

As for your backpack, if it's not falling apart it will do. Rig your gear to the outside if you have to.
>>
>>865972
> So, how would I go about finding spots to camp?

This highly depends on where you are, i guess. Around here (Germany, Austria and Swizerland) it's different from area to area.

I personally don't give a fuck and camp where i want to camp. I don't start a fire or cut trees or something, so there is no damage.

Usually, if you camp late and get moving early, nobody notices you anyway. And even if, nobody really cares, unless you look like a hobo having a stroke.

This may be the case where you live, or people shoot you if you camp on their property.

Generally i pick spots that are elevated so i don't drown should there be rain. A bit of wind is a plus usually. Woods are warmer than open spaces. Cold air flows down.
>>
Are 4-season tents required in 20-30°F weather? I recently bought an expensive 3 season tent. I dont want to get an other tent
>>
File: DSC02240.jpg (250KB, 864x648px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02240.jpg
250KB, 864x648px
>>866110
if your sleeping bag is warm enough you won't die.

a winter or even expedition tent will make cold weather camping a lot more enjoyable that's all.
pic related a summer tent in cold weather
>>
>>866110

Not unless you have to deal with high winds and snow. The wind would blow snow into your tent, and of course break it, if it was stronger.

This is why 4-season tents have flaps at the bottom, so you can close them with snow and stones. That way your tent doesn't fly away and snow can't be blown inside.

So, if you have wind and snow, get a 4-season. If it's calm, just cold, get a better sleeping bag. It's the sleeping bag that keeps you toasty, not the tent itself.
>>
File: go_out_initiative_v1.8.jpg (642KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
go_out_initiative_v1.8.jpg
642KB, 1920x1080px
Tent included, pictures when i have it tested i guess.
>>
File: list.png (117KB, 477x979px) Image search: [Google]
list.png
117KB, 477x979px
rate my list! i have like no out gear and want to start getting serious. What am i missing? would should i get instead?
>>
File: scimmia.jpg (77KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
scimmia.jpg
77KB, 800x600px
>>866173

I rate 8/8 for your b8.

> Shitty knife, should not cost more than 20 bucks
> Shitty sleeping pad, cheap, but bad insulation and extremely heavy
> Tent could work, dunno it's weight
> Shitty stove, large and hævy
> Shitty bottle, can't be used to boil water in it
> Shitty axe, overpriced as fuck, this really gets to me, holy fuck man, this is just wrong
> Shitty and tiny ass backpack

Good bait tho.
>>
>>866188

>everything to heavy for manlet
>>
File: yeahbuddy.png (222KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
yeahbuddy.png
222KB, 480x360px
>>866188
Thanks man you were super helpful
>>
>>866217

Show your ultra heavy gear then, fagster.
>>
>>866254

I carry everything in a cast iron pot above my head because I'm not a PUSSY
>>
>>866006
im this anon >>865972
What I mean is, once i have all my gear and am ready to undergo my first trip....where do i go? State parks? wherever i can? I live a bit south of nashville and as I stated before, the parks around here arent really /out/.
>>
>>865524
I'm not even going to read this but I'm 99% sure it's bullshit.

Friendly reminder to newfags /out/ is absolutely the worst hobby board to get advice from, possibly after /fa/
>>
>>866173
everything sucks.
>>
File: DQWindmill.gif (37KB, 1114x946px) Image search: [Google]
DQWindmill.gif
37KB, 1114x946px
>>866355

Fuck you for dismissing something without looking at it. I dare you to do better, snarky internet hero.

Obviously everyone can claim anything, but: I'm an oldfag, had my first /out/ experience as a kid (this was bushcraft/minimalist style, a term not used back then), made my first longer trip on foot from Bremen, Germany to Montpellier, France in 1995 with a 30kg backpack as that was the custom back then.

I recently crossed the Alps on foot from Venice to Munich and my next longer trip for spring 2017 crosses Poland from the eastern border into Germany.

The pic was posted before and has gotten better with every version (latest is 1.8). It includes many suggestens not relevant to my immediate sourroundings, without trying to cover all environments. It's not comprised of survivalist memes, has no bushcraft bullshit and doesn't advocate campingstoves with builtin USB connectivity.

All the gear i used myself (except the tent in v1.8 which is on order, the Walmart grease pot because we don't have Walmart and the bandana, i have a Bundeswehr Dreieckstuch).

Again, i dare you to do better, fagster.
>>
File: whipsnake.png (582KB, 733x664px) Image search: [Google]
whipsnake.png
582KB, 733x664px
>>866257
Ok then, this time you win.

>>866338
Possible target then: https://www.google.de/maps/place/Walls+of+Jericho+Alabama+Trailhead/@34.9802376,-86.1015621,15z

BTW, you can go wandering around without having your gear complete. You really can!
>>
>>866173
>200$

I remember spending about €70 for mine. What the fuck happened in the last decade?
>>
>>866355
I just read it, found no bullshit
>>
>>866594
Its a bit of a drive, 1 1/2 hours-2 hour drive, and ill have to check it out more. but you have helped me alot.
>>
File: whipsnake1.png (253KB, 886x479px) Image search: [Google]
whipsnake1.png
253KB, 886x479px
>>866608
I opened google maps, looked up where Nashville is, picked a place with less streets in the south and saw the word Trailhead ;).

Do the same for where you live, then your drive or walk isn't that far. It doesn't have to be a very special place to test your gear/skill either.
>>
File: whipsnake2.png (168KB, 886x479px) Image search: [Google]
whipsnake2.png
168KB, 886x479px
>>866605
Thanks m8, spread the word and post the pic.
>>
>>865524
>tarp
Have fun getting eaten by bears and/or cougars
>>
>>866701
Bad bait.
>>
>>866704
Not where I live
>>
>>866616
Out of the others I have looked at, that is the most accommodating. Also, I found that there is a version of what you linked in the TN state borders, just a bit north. I dont mind the drive really, at least compared to trying to go to all the good ones in east TN. I am pretty hyped now, because I have a sense of direction. Also, in regards to my gear posted here >>865950
I realized a compass would be nice, and that the bag I mentioned is a BCG Adults with a 100oz water bladder.
For the compass, does anyone recommend a specific brand from experience? Ive been looking at the 20 dollar suunto brands, only thing I have seem to have to worry about is air bubbles. They seem good sized and are apparently accurate enough.
>>
>>866585
alrighty I stand corrected
>>
File: IMG_20150411_110606.jpg (3MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150411_110606.jpg
3MB, 2592x1944px
>>866701
The mouthbreather thinks he owns a bearproof tent, guys!

>>866711
> does anyone recommend a specific brand from experience?

The one in the pic is a Suunto A-10 (15€), they are available in inch or metric and southern or northern hemisphere (you need northern). It has a declination-correction ring that you should use, the declination in the US is up to 20°! This one has no fluid, so no bubble possible. I can confirm that it works well. However, i carry it only as a backup, i use my smartphones GPS and Osmand for navigation mostly.

As for your backpack, looks fine to me, small obviously, but enough for one or two nights out. I'd maybe remove the bladder and use the meshpockets for PET-bottles. They don't break.

Larger backpacks have a frame that redistributes the load from your shoulders to your hips, but yours will do if you try to keep weight in mind. Obviously you have to rig stuff to the outside.

Pic related, my gear for a few days inna Alps.
>>
File: IMG_20160912_135530.jpg (5MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160912_135530.jpg
5MB, 4032x3024px
>>866731
ITT: Words you don't expect on 4chan.

Pic is from the mentioned Alps crossing.
>>
>>865524

I'm not even looking at your shitty meme collection and can tell it's bollocks.
>>
>>867235
see >>866585
>>
>>867240
Cool you have shit experience.
>Polls

Plz leave
>>
>>865524
what you actually need:
adequate clothing preferably layerable
blanket just in case or something to sit on
water ~2-3 liters
bacon+bread (i also like to bring grill sausages)
knife+lighter
>>
>>867266
oh and i always bring a roll of garbage bags first of all you will have some garbage packaging whatnot so you can put them in the bag and carry back. but you can also waterproof all your stuff in your backpack or make an improvised waterproof shelter out of them if need be.
>>
If you're scared about sleeping alone in the wilderness just remember that there's a skeleton inside of you regardless of where you are.
>>
File: IMG_20160528_020107.jpg (322KB, 999x928px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160528_020107.jpg
322KB, 999x928px
>>867235
Fucking inbred dog. Giving you mother medical care when she was in labour was a mistake. You should have ended there.

>>867266
Yeah, well, i guess different strokes for different folks. I'd rater bring a tarp, a sleeping mat and a sleeping bag for an overnighter. The point of us both is this: you don't need much for a simple and fun night out.

This is what noobs and some farts here actually believe: you have to have the most complete and perfectly stocked backpack or you will die instantly. This shit has got to stop around here!

>>867270
I have never used a roll of garbage bags when out (well, except maybe some plastic bag for garbage of course). However, i see the usecase.

I hope you forgive me, but to keep the gearlist manageable, i'd rather not include everything one could maybe one day use. Also, don't forget that you should have a tarp or tent for shelter if you are out overnight.

In fact, i would like to remove items if possible.

Pic was kit for a few days on the Eiffelsteig, including a smoked Maccarel.
>>
Fuck gear. What about guides for finding places to actually camp that are legal? Im sick of reserving dirt patches for 30-50 dollars two weeks in advance just to dump camp. I feel retarded, but Im never sure if I can just walk about in a state park and camp wherever.
>>
>>867291
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/fishlake/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5121831

You're fine if you don't set your tent up on the trail, pee into a lake, or set the place on fire.
>>
File: IMG_20160505_192022.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160505_192022.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
>>867291
Highly depending on local rules.

I can tell you this, i have wild camped in these nations and never had a problem: Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Montenegro, Italy, Poland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Scotland and the UK.

My rules:

* don't look like a bum, but like a hiker
* don't camp where others make their living or live
* don't make a open fire
* don't cut trees or change anything
* be stealthy (light, noise, colours)

Just do it.

Pic: making hot water for a cup of coco with espresso.
>>
File: IMG_20160513_221017.jpg (2MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160513_221017.jpg
2MB, 4160x3120px
>>867285

If you lost your direction, moss will always grow on the northern side of a compass.

Pic: an old yoda-pepe ready to attack.
>>
>>867290
garbage bags are really awesome.
for example if i want to sit down i grab one throw it full of leaves and it's a fucking pillow! very comfy you also don't have to sit on anything dirty as the bag is clean. they are also excellent survival craft items if things go south and you have to hunker down because of unforeseen events, bad weather, whatever.

for an overnight i often only carry these: >>867266 >>867270
make fire and stay up all night, or sleep a few hours near the fire depending on how bored and tired i am.
for more than one day sure you can load up some sleeping gear. i'm not a huge fan of sleeping bags and tents i like to sleep all dressed up and ready to go you only need a little bit more at night especially if you have fire.
>>
>>867300
this only works in the nawthern hemisphere and also varies widely. it won't ever be 90º off but it can be 45º off which is troublematic
>>
>>867296

Add Finland to it. There is a section in the law called Everymans right that guarantees right to camp as long as you don't damage the woods and stay away from buildings and don't disturb the people around you.
>>
>>867296
>Scotland and the UK.
>>
File: socktree.jpg (1MB, 1581x1569px) Image search: [Google]
socktree.jpg
1MB, 1581x1569px
>>867309
Upon closer inspection i found that i mentioned trashbags under "Groundsheet".

>>867322
Yea, well, drunken posting and shit
>>
>>867290
Who brings a smokedd maccarel /out/? Enjoy getting eaten by bears.

Also, your gear is low end tier, no boots, shit hammock, noname backpack. Just a collection of garbage really.
>>
>>865679
>Debt card

How much money did you save up beforehand? And how much did you actually spend?
>>
>>867341
yeah they are that and much more.
for example you have a large sized garbage bag neatly folded into a pocket of your coat and you get lost in the autumn or winter or unable to return to your car or whatever. have to spend the night out but fire is just not working out for you.

you can throw the bag full of leaves and crawl in it. they will save your ass from rain and cold it's like an improvised sleeping bag slash tent. it's literally a pocket sleeping bag/ground cover/tent it's also cheap and packs very small. only thing is they are not really reusable/long term sure but we are talking about survival here.

i really don't know if there is an item with more use more versatility than garbage bags. knives come close in a way as they can craft you many items and tools. but knives require a lot of time to really shine garbage bags are instant solution.
>>
>>867801
Hostility like that is usually a front for intense jealousy, desu
>>
>>868000
And trips confirms.
>>
>>865857
leave it to a hillary cunt to bring up political affiliation
gtfo faggot
this is /out/
not a trump supporter
>>
>>866709
bears are a huge problem in faggotville
>>
>>867801
i would kill to have a bear walk up to me and ask for my mackerels anon. but sadly they are extinct here. the occasional dumb bastards that wander into the country get shot faster than you can say "PROTECTED SPECIES"
>>
File: wofl.jpg (102KB, 954x531px) Image search: [Google]
wofl.jpg
102KB, 954x531px
>>868000
TRIPS OF TRUTH!

>>867801
No bears in the Eiffel area since forever.
No boots because no need for boots where i walked.
Hammock does what it's supposed to do.
Backpacks brand doesn't matter, kid, it's the function that does.
That collection of garbage gets me /out/, where is yours?

>>868020
Right. We import other animals now. And i'm not talking about wofl.
>>
>>867801
>berghaus
>noname
>>
>>867290
What is Juden Budder Hans?
>>
File: 1466734776286.jpg (196KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
1466734776286.jpg
196KB, 1000x750px
>>868334
wat
>>
>>868334
Studenten Futter aka Trail mix
>>
>>865524
>be experienced /out/ desert fag.
>coming back from month long sojourn into the mojave where I learned how to field map to a professional level
>professor joins up with another professor from another school
>meet and chat with his students
>they are dressed like they're going to the beach and not climbing mountains in 110F temps
>they look miserable and are miserable to chat with
Don't do this. Cover everything. EVERYTHING! Have protection for your ankles, shins, and hands. Carry twice the amount of water you think you need. Bring a first aid kit. Bring salty food and/or gatorade (I like to have 50/50 water gatorade). Get good sunglasses. Have proper holsters and belt pouches for all your gear. Get insect repellent (a lot). Have a topographic map of the area including hill shades and DEM. Buy decent quality gear but don't buy stuff that is too expensive. It will be broken or lost. Never go anywhere alone. If you get lost and can't get back to camp before nightfall, whatever you do don't going wandering around in the dark. Even with flashlights, I have seen people seriously injure themselves by doing this (difficult terrain+darkness=disaster). Walkie talkies are also very good. In a lot of the areas we went, they were the only reliable communication.
>>
>>866733
PET-bottles?
>>
>>867296
I see you are using a Trangia-burner with a simple pot. What are you using as a pot-stand?
Im thinking about doing something similar since bringing a full-sized Trangia cooking set is overkill when Im out alone
>>
So, whats the deal with hating on Cold Steel products? Is it a a justified meme? A friend of mine has a shovel from them and its lasted well through our high school and college years, from camping to clearing out his entire backyard for projects.
>>
>>868684
Fuck off shill
>>
>tfw I signed up for an original patch but didn't want to give my name to a 4chan autist so when it arrived it wasn't actually addressed to me and my housemates just binned it
>>
File: DSC04315.jpg (123KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
DSC04315.jpg
123KB, 640x480px
>>867315

I'm going to add a very specific thing related to this!

You can gather twigs, branches, pine cones etc. if they have fallen off a tree (that someone owns).

You can not take a single twig still attached to a tree because it is considered damaging the forest you are visiting.
>>868664

How about one of those wood gas stoves + a Trangia burner? Stove can burn small wood pieces a bit more easily and in a controlled fashion while using the Trangia burner is still possible if wood isn't available and/or is too wet to use.

Or just use a gas burner, it's very effective and light.
>>
>>868725
pussy
>>
File: sku_256330_1.jpg (49KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
sku_256330_1.jpg
49KB, 700x700px
>>868727

OR if you just want the Trangia burner, there's good, cheap copies of Trangia Mini available.

http://www.dx.com/p/locs-portable-camping-alcohol-stove-spirit-burner-black-golden-256330
>>
>>868703
>has real world experience with a particular brand
>welp, must be a shill

Get dick cancer, shit bag.
>>
File: IMG_20160904_092255-small.jpg (258KB, 800x988px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160904_092255-small.jpg
258KB, 800x988px
>>868664
Hope you can see it in the pic. You need 5 pieces from this aluminium wind shield:

http://www.dx.com/p/aotu-9-piece-folding-aluminum-wind-shield-board-for-camping-picnic-burner-silver-343615

Shortem them a bit (scissors will do). Sandpaper the roughness away, poke hole into the sides with a knife (SAK ale works perfectly), insert pegs.

It makes sense to bend the pegs so they stay in place.

4 pieces hold the pegs and thus your pot, one piece is added win-protection and can be opened or closed.

See those thin wires in door? These i use to stake the stand down in soft dirt.
>>
>>868661
PET is the thin, see trough plastic waterbottles are made from. I use them instead of nalgene bottles.
>>
File: IMG_20150816_130609788_HDR.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150816_130609788_HDR.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
>>868725
Bask in the shine of my patches, bitches!
>>
>>866733
All of the A-10's I am finding have fluid. Is your compass a different model or something?
>>
>>865653
Finnish army uses Trangia. It works in -30 C. Why would you not use it in winter? What else works better? Not gas.
>>
>>867290

How is the Eifelsteig? I crossed it a couple of times on dayhikes in the general area, seems like a really busy trail.

I did the Wildernistrail a couple of years back but we went form inn-to-inn because my gf was along and we were advised against camping illegally.
>>
File: IMG_20160912_182256.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160912_182256.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>869370
My bad, it's a A-30.

>>869382
People don't know what priming is. Also, they often not use ethanol.

>>869423
Wouldn't walk it again or very out of season. Not bad otherwise, but yeah, it was busy. No reson for me not to wild camp of course.

If you want a 100% smug trail, give the Harzer Hexensteig a try. Walked it start to end and back in september 2014 (had a long thread here, even met another Anon in Clausthal) and april 2015 again. It's great.
>>
>>865524
noob here
what do you do against all insects and spiders with just your tarp? Ignore them crawling over you?

what do you use the knife for? And the compass and map? Don't you just choose a route before you leave and then follow the trail?

Where did you go in belgium? I live in Ghent, it seems like a pretty bad location to go out. I don't have a car and the train to the ardennes is 3 hours.
>>
>>869773
if you know what you want to do, but not whatyour tools do, you might want to read some books or watch some videos.
Your knife can serve alot of purposes, but its a good idea to give yourself a variety. I dont mean bring 6 knives when you go camping or other /out/ stuff. Based off your comment about a trail, I woulds suppose you'd just have your knife just in case. You never know what a pointy, sharp edged tool can do. As for the compass, if you dont have any experience with them, it would never be a bad thing to learn how to use it, even better if in conjunction with a map.
>>
File: Solo cooking set-up.png (14KB, 700x453px) Image search: [Google]
Solo cooking set-up.png
14KB, 700x453px
>>868757
Thanks for the answer. I'm still thinking about what design I'll go for
>>868727
Funny you'd mention it - I have thought about the same. The reason I'm moving away from it is, that many af these wood gas stoves seem quite bulky or heavy compared to what they do. If I'm making a fire, which I almost allways do when out, I don't care that much for effecient burning of the wood anyways.
So my conclusion seems to be that what I need is a simple devise that will stabilize my pot over my trangia burner and work as a wind shield while also being able to work as a hobo stove (simply lighting a fire inside of it). That way I can use wood when able to and otherwise use my alcohol burner with reasonable fuel effeciency. I want it all to pack neatly insite my 1ltr pot.

This could be done by using a simple metal can with holes in it as a pot stand/hobo stove and then have a "soft" windshield as well sice the can has a smaller diameter than my pot.
Another solution could be something that can be stored in my pot but folds into a larger diameter (like many windscreens do) and then just ad a way to hold the pot at a good distance to my burner on the ground.

>Pic related 1000 hours in paint
>>
File: images.jpg (11KB, 275x184px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
11KB, 275x184px
I have a dual sport and am wondering what I should have on her for when I go out. I'm going to get rope in case I need to pull her up, but stuck to what else I should have?
>>
File: IMG_20150907_170332569_HDR.jpg (3MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150907_170332569_HDR.jpg
3MB, 2432x4320px
>>869865
Rope is good - mule tape packs small/light and works well for recovery.
Alsp bring some carabiners and a short length or two of rope to make pulley if needed.
Tools to fix whatever may break. Spare bolts are good to have.
Basic first aid kit and knowledge on how to treat injury.
Map. GPS is nice too.
Pretrip before you leave: fluids, bolt check, light/electrical check.
Wear your gear.
Clear safety glasses or goggles in case you're out after dark.
>>
File: spoider.jpg (44KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
spoider.jpg
44KB, 800x450px
>>869773
> what do you do against all insects

The most dangerous insects are ticks. They sit on top of a blade of gras and quest, they wait for something to grab, usually your trousers or gaiters. You have to check your trousers/legs every stop, best tuck your trousers into your socks. Permethrin soaked gaiter solve the tick problem. Not a problem under a tarp of course. Check if ticks are in your target area at the time you are there. Never had a tick in Belgium.

If i have to expect gnats, i sometimes bring a net and put it over me. Mine is noname from amazon, maybe 15 bucks, but i plan to get a lighter, smaller one. Mostly i don't bother.

Lastly, if you sleep in a forest, there are sometimes lots and lots of spider. They walk over you in search of prey (sleeping gnats for example). Actually, they seem to run! Let them. One found the entrance to my sleeping bag and walked straight over my face. They are bros, i let them be.

Pic related, typical forest runner.

> what do you use the knife for?

I sometimes make tent pegs, cut my bread, spread butter, split apples or clean my fingernails. But thats really it. Can be done with a sharp potatoeknife if you want to be frugal.

> And the compass and map?

First, my primary orientation is the smartphones gps and osmand. Compass and map is a backup in my case. Your route is sometimes not what you expected, not doable, boring or you go straight where you should have gone left. It's good to be able to reroute.

> Where to make camp

I slept near Antwerpen between a strip of forest and a canal. It was a horse riding path, so i made sure to be as close as possible to the bushes. Another spot was a forest near Maria-Aaltar. Sure, Belgium has no wilderness, but there is plenty of opportunity for stealth camping and adventure. Not glorious, but it's something.

>>869784
Wood is messy, i would make the simplest potstand possible and maybe another one for wood later. All those hours in the paint school finally paid off!
>>
>>869880
>mule tape
Never knew about this, thanks!

I'll get some of that mule tape and carabiners and a first aid kit to keep in her pouch with the reflective safety vest. The rest of the stuff, which houses my standard hiking gear, will be in my backpack.
>>
File: download_20160419_120835-L.jpg (68KB, 451x600px) Image search: [Google]
download_20160419_120835-L.jpg
68KB, 451x600px
>>869987
Commercial electrical contractors go through a fuckload of the stuff, usually have the tail ends off spools that aren't long enough for them to use, so they just toss 'em. There's about 80ft of the 1/2" stuff left on this roll.

Tie loops in the ends of the mule tape - Fig8 knot works well. Because the stuff's so light, it's hard to throw... a carabiner on the loop on the end makes it a lot easier to pass to someone.

Balancing your wheels makes the highway ride a lot more comfortable.

Carry a copy of your owners/service manuals and parts fiche on your phone. Helpful when you need a spec for a bolt, or for putting things back together.

And wear your gear.
>>
>>868760
>>866733
So why PET bottles verses a metal one i could boil and drink water from? or is that a dumb idea?
>>
File: DSC05968.jpg (2MB, 3820x2145px) Image search: [Google]
DSC05968.jpg
2MB, 3820x2145px
>>
>>866737
Question to all, particularly this anon,
What do you all take photos with?
>>
File: image_3.jpg (2KB, 93x125px) Image search: [Google]
image_3.jpg
2KB, 93x125px
>>870125
No, not dumb. Its a choice you can make. Things in the pic generally work and are tested, but aren't gospel or sufficient in all circumstances.

Protip: bring a pot, use it to boil water and still benefit from the light and cheap PET.
>>
>>870125
bring one metal container sure preferably stainless steel. but you can carry a hundred pet bottles for the weight. so why go all metal?
>>
>>870218
These pics are made with a Nexus 5x smartphone. Can recommend (battery issues with stock rom, use CM13 to turn all that google crap off, have a week of battery).
>>
>>868760
pet is fine for non long term storage.
for long term you need pe container.
>>
>>867300
Whoa! She's a fiesty one!
>>
>>865974
>Make sure you bring a sleeping bag and a foam mat, or you will freeze your butt off in your hammock over night.
Wait. You're not telling anon to put the sleeping pad in the hammock and lay in the sleeping bag, right? Coz anon could just as easily (and with far more comfort) do away with the sleeping pad and use the sleeping bag as an underquilt. The weight and volume formerly allocated to the sleeping pad would be better spent on tarp and bugnet, yes?
>>
>>866173
>gerbershit tanto, half serrated
Replace with something else, with a pointed tip and no serrations. Even a basic Mora will do better.
>heavyshit airbed
No dude, just no. Replace with sleeping pad and sleeping bag
>tent
Haven't read reviews, but that's a good size for you and your gear with enough room you're not against the walls.
>propane stove
Ew. For car camping, sure. If you're actually out in the woods you'll want something way lighter, like a triangia or even several cans of sterno would save you weight.
>vacuum bottle
Single wall is what you want, so you can boil water and cook in it.
>$200 axe
Fuck, dude. Not necessary. I've got an estwing ebdba, it cost me forty bucks. Double bit hatchet. It works to process firewood and to do basic woodworking (log notches to aid in lashing, etc.), no sense in getting your pic related just to get /out/. I'm sure someanon will grouse about "just get a folding saw" but it's really a matter of preference, varies by user, ymmv etc.
>tactical bladder
Sure, if that's the style you want. Bladder is good.

Missing fire starter, first aid, cordage. Probably could use more, but I think that about covers the basics.
>>
>>870321
Then you need 2 or you freeze on top
>>
>>870339
Two uncompressed sleeping bags are still gonna be waaay more comfy than wrestling with a sleeping mat in a hammock. Sleeping pads are for ground dwellers. They'll work, but nowhere nearly as well as a tq/uq.
>>
>>870357
>>870339
>>870321
I think i have something that would work, but id have to test it out. It can zip up like a sleeping bag but is thin(ish) and i believe has a wool interior.
>>
>>867807
saved $4.5k, spent $2.6k
>>
>>870723
Good, having emergency dough is important.
>>
>>870425
Just make sure you've got dead air space around you; that's what acts as insulation.
>>
>>867801
>they don't sell that brand in my country
>therefore you're shit since i believe your gear is "low end"
>>
>>867801
>bears in the eiffel
>you need a backpack brand i have heard of
>you need boots for everything
enjoy your moms basement. post a pic when you eventually leave it
>>
>>870328
>No dude, just no. Replace with sleeping pad and sleeping bag
i'm with him on the airbed i can't sleep on these crappy foam mats.
>>
File: 1402264933100.jpg (95KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1402264933100.jpg
95KB, 640x640px
>>867300
>letting moss grow on your compass
Disgusting.
>>
>>865857
what kind of cooked mental acrobatics did you have to do to make a link between what was said and political affiliation
>>
>>865658
nah dude my first long trips were with a tarp when i was a teenager, they're just fine. stop being a pussy.
>>
>>866110
A 4 season is simply stronger to withstand wind and snow loading. Unless you expect those conditions, don't bother. It won't be any warmer
>>
>>867801
His gear is low end but well selected, no /out/ memes you probably own like jungle boots and fjallraven

>bears
>in europe
>>
File: tarp-poles-wind.jpg (3MB, 2816x2112px) Image search: [Google]
tarp-poles-wind.jpg
3MB, 2816x2112px
>>865594
I had ordered the Coleman crestline 2l for 40€ from amazon last week. Didn't expect it to be this useable. Of course it's heavy. Since it's available almost everywhere i will add it to the pic.

>>870209
Mirin your Pathfinder.

>>871183
This is what speaks against an airbed: bulk, weight and most importantly, isolation. Comfy alternatives exsit. But, if you are out in the summer and don't mind the weight/bulk, sure, why not.

>>871268
You seem butthurt. Are you butthurt? I hope you are butthurt.

>>871341
So true.

>>871394
> His gear is low end but well selected, no /out/ memes

Thanks, i was going for the memeless theme, hehe. But tbqh, i wouldn't say it's low end, probably more mid level tier:

- backpack Berghaus lite 50l something something, 160€
- shoes Merrel Moab Vent, 100€
- sleeping pad Thermarest Prolite Plus, 120€
- knaifu Victorinox Hercules, 60€
- headlamp Petzl tikka+, 40€
- rainjacket Berghaus something something, 80€
- pot Esbit 750ml titanium, 45€
- stove Trangia burner, 15€
- bottle Nalgene stainless steel, 25€
- hammock DD biviy hammock, 80€

So yeah, this is about 700€ worth of gear in the picture. It adds up. Don't confuse commonly available stuff with low end. For example, a Trangia burner is by no means low end, it will work for years and years, replacement parts are available since the 60ies and there is lots of accessories you can get. Good mid tier quality.

It should be noted that some of the gear is sold at higher prices. And that, if you take your time, you can possibly get it all a bit cheaper online somewhere. Or, get a cheaper variant in the first place. The sleeping pad for example is awesome and i like it. But it's not what i started with. I started with a foam camping mat for 10€ which worked perfectly as well.

Point is, if you don't have dough, get the cheap stuff and go /out/. If you have more money and experience, replace it, piece by piece.
>>
>>869916
It's not a spider.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opiliones
>>
>>869880
>Clear safety glasses or goggles in case you're out after dark.
This. Walking at night should be avoided, but if you have too... I used to train military stuff, clear safety glasses saved my eyes from being poked by sticks numerous times.
>>
File: 1474671199685.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1474671199685.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>871431

I stand corrected.
>>
>>870221
>>870222
So, any recomended PET bottles?
>>
File: 1464518637479.jpg (261KB, 581x581px) Image search: [Google]
1464518637479.jpg
261KB, 581x581px
>>871675
The one your water was in when you bought the water.

Mine is a 1.5 litre. I hear smartwaterbottles are a bit more robust than the cheap water bottles, but we don't have those.

Any water or soda bottle really.
>>
File: 20161009_221544_HDR-1.jpg (604KB, 2987x1674px) Image search: [Google]
20161009_221544_HDR-1.jpg
604KB, 2987x1674px
>>865524
I have that headlamp.

It's really bright and the red led mode helps to save battery.

I had this on a while hiking 10 hours at night.
>>
>>871407
>This is what speaks against an airbed: bulk, weight and most importantly, isolation. Comfy alternatives exsit. But, if you are out in the summer and don't mind the weight/bulk, sure, why not.
bulk is not that much of an issue they pack around the size of a blanket roll. the weight tho they are fucking heavy, i think about 2kg maybe more. about the weight of a rifle.
>>
>>866173
Mostly shit.
>overpriced serrated knife
Just get something dependable and non serrated, don't spend more than 40 bucks
>air mattress
It's top-tier for comfort, but is heavy, bulky and non-insulating. Just get a nice foam pad for $30.
>generic 3-person tent
Potentially not shit, if it isn't heavy.
>giant stove
Get something way smaller/lighter if you aren't car camping.
>le hip water bottle
Just get a thermos, it keeps temperatures way better.
>insanely overpriced ax
Just get a folding saw. It'll work better for wood.
>le tacticool tiny backpack
Get a good pack from a reputable brand. Minimum 50l to carry all your shit.
>>
>>865857
Fuck off retard
>>
File: DSC02701.jpg (641KB, 890x574px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02701.jpg
641KB, 890x574px
>>871301
>stop being a pussy.
https://youtu.be/hHdZZbGtvR0

this was about 200 yards from my last camp
In the spring I'm more concerned about tics
baby tic are the size of a grain of sand and
emerge from the leaf litter and soil
Ever had to pull one off your eyelid innawoods?
>>
File: 1475190000499.gif (2MB, 280x202px) Image search: [Google]
1475190000499.gif
2MB, 280x202px
>>872076
Bringing a tarp isn't the law, if you think a tent makes more sense, by all means, bring a tent. It's all your decision. In your case it seems to sense.

But, most people, under most circumstances, don't need a tent to go out.

Stop fucking with snek, you god damn rocket ape, snek was warning you loud and clear.
>>
File: 1475187661048.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1475187661048.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>871901
Told you so. As long as it has a bright setting for the walk and a low setting for the camp and can be worn on your head, it's fine. BTW, i use cheap batteries in the summer, but lithium in the winter. Lithium is pricey, but work a lot better when it's below freezing. Energizer Lithium, feels good man!

>>871675
If it's clear, had water in it and is squishy, it's PET and it will do.

>>872049
The easily offended are the easily manipulated, cockgobbler.
>>
>>871407
Miltec headlamp 10€
Plastic-handled mora 15€
Sigg bottle 15€

Now we're low end, saved you 80€
>>
File: Cabelas Alaskan Guide SnowCamp.jpg (44KB, 624x472px) Image search: [Google]
Cabelas Alaskan Guide SnowCamp.jpg
44KB, 624x472px
>>866110
>Are 4-season tents required in 20-30°F weather?

What’s critically important with a tent is FULL FLY that completely covers the tent “body”.

Nylon is nylon, it don’t retain heat for shit (that’s what your sleeping bag is for) but a full fly does create a bit of an insulating layer of air between the fly and the tent, slowing down heat loss. Notice how much snow is on the near tent (with a fully fly) compared to the typical Wallmart tent in the background, with just a small bikini fly on top.

But your real issue is rain.

Nothing ruins a good time like being wet, so you want to keep rain away from the tent body or it will soak thru the tent walls and your sleeping bag will end up wet and a FULL FLY does just that.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5USJfxjMzMY
>>
File: Therm-a-Rest.jpg (40KB, 750x375px) Image search: [Google]
Therm-a-Rest.jpg
40KB, 750x375px
>>866173
>knife

Get a better knife, budget $100.

>air mattress

Don’t bother with that air mattress, it’s is _guaranteed_ to spring a leak, leaving you flat in the middle of the night. Get a Thermarest type self-inflating foam-filled mattress, in fact get two with the connector kit, as you’ll presumably want to bring a chick along at some point.

>tent

I dunno about a $60 tent but it looks like it’s got a full fly and that’s what’s important.

>stove

Good choice, it’ll last forever and unlike all the faux eXtreme backpackerfags here, you can actually cook a meal instead of choking down shitty freeze-dried twigs and bugs.

>bottle

$30 for a bottle? What are you going to do with that? Get a 3-5 gallon water jug instead.

>axe

A Homey Depot axe from the garden dept. is fine and at $20-some, a lot cheeper.

>hydration pack

I guess, if you plan on doing a lot of hiking.
>>
>>866173
haha, I also appreciated this.
>>
File: 1398837257365.jpg (169KB, 584x800px) Image search: [Google]
1398837257365.jpg
169KB, 584x800px
>>866163
This is a good and helpful thing you've done here

Thank you.
>>
what are some good flashlights for cheap?
for like 50-40 dollyas
>>
File: 1475878122404.jpg (132KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1475878122404.jpg
132KB, 720x960px
>>873945
Thanks mane, glad you like it.

>>874243
I can recommend a Petzl XP+, 40€.
>>
>>865950
Flannel shirt and cargo pants. A pair of boots or sneakers. That's it.
>>
>>874364
Pair of light gloves and a buff or scarf, as well as earplugs. All for better sleeping.
>>
>>865524
Thanks for making the thread m8, I'm enjoying it and learning stuff
>>
File: ROLGvTv.gif (3MB, 589x331px) Image search: [Google]
ROLGvTv.gif
3MB, 589x331px
>>873945
>>875508
Again, my pleasure, i know the pic is useful, despite the amount of bad comments from some angsty kids.

I'm taking pics of different gear to replace the stock images. But this will take weeks of work, you have to remove the background and so on. So, yeah, we are getting there, eventually.

Right now i'm living the wage slave life, making money for next years trips.
Thread posts: 150
Thread images: 57

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.