[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Poncho liner aka "Woobie"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 8

File: Poncho-Liner.jpg (88KB, 500x335px) Image search: [Google]
Poncho-Liner.jpg
88KB, 500x335px
What does /out/ think about "woobie"? First time I heard about it. This guy:
http://taskandpurpose.com/why-the-woobie-is-the-greatest-military-invention-ever-fielded/

...is jizzing all over with excitement, but Amazon reviews do seem to be quite entusiastic. Plus it does take little space.
Worth it? Original military ones arent that cheap either, is it quality?
>>
Reviews in question:

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Military-Weather-Poncho-Blanket/product-reviews/B001L0VX2W/ref=dp_db_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
>>
>Don't leave home without it.

>Of all the pieces of U.S. military kit I've ever seen (through 20+ years of miltiary service), none equal the Wubbie for value for money, utility, and comfort.

>The original idea was a quilted, water resistant blanket that could be attached to a poncho (hence the bits of string on the corners and edges) to make a warm weather sleeping bag. Yes, I've actually heard of people doing this, but this is such a limited vision of what the Wubbie is capable of.

>Picnic blanket, quilt, bedspread, couch cover, used by itself as a sleeping back, in survival kits, for air travel, pet beds (with or without human consent) etc. I used to keep mine by the couch for siesta time, but it kept getting stolen. In Germany, soldiers would take an unlined rainjacket and a poncho liner to the tailor and get the best cold-wet weather jacket in the world back.
>>
>>862219
Milfag here, it's both lightweight and compacts well. I imagine it would be great for ultralight type stuff, when we drop rucks and go out of our assault bag I always bring it with me, along with the poncho. Great little makeshift sleeping bag, when the full sleep system is a little too bulky to carry in your AB.

Also is enough to take the edge off when it's too cold, or cold and wet when attached to your poncho. Nice little blankie, and even if you're using the full sleep system, it's just a malleable little extra piece of fabric you can purpose use to cover whatever bits are still cold.
>>
>>862281
Is it really water proof?
>>
>>
One saved my bacon at SERE. An army infantry guy who had transitioned to being a C-17 loadmaster explained why they are called woobies.

Because without it you woobie very very cold.
>>
>>862283
I'd say water resistant.
>>
>>862219
Woobie is the faggot Army name for it. The poncho liner is superior to all other blankets that you would think about taking outdoors.
>>
I have 4 they are fucking tits my friend, go huy one and see for yourself. Took mine with a mystery sleeping bag i found in a dumpster down to minus 10 f and was cozy af
>>
>>862337
Fuck SERE dude. Army?
>>862347
fuck you
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (302KB, 1920x1080px)
maxresdefault.jpg
302KB, 1920x1080px
I used my woobie they way most everyone did in the army, for everything. Now its used for extra insulation when camping, its pretty awesome as an underquilt when in the hammock (no modification necessary).
>>
Vets write the new ones in ACU are worse than the old woodland ones, issued in 'Nam and later, is that true?
They also write to be carefool of fake chineese ones. I'm guessing, if its in woodland and is sold as new, it must be fake?
>>
>>862219
I love my woobie and never go anywhere without it.
>>
>>862843
I have the ACU one and love it, but I've never used the woodland one.
>>
File: rsz_img_20160605_000330.jpg (209KB, 1328x747px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_img_20160605_000330.jpg
209KB, 1328x747px
>>862843
I have both, the old woodland one is thicker, and is only one ive used in real cold (-10 thru +15) i bought three new ones like the OP pic and they definitely work well but i havent stress tested them. My friend was issued a newer woodland one innastan and he swears by it. Ymmv.
You can see the older style woodland one here as a curtain.
>>
>>862219
disregard army woobie, find german woobie if you can. its thicker and warmer
>>
>>862219
this is heresy, but there's really nothing special about it. It's a quilt with synthetic insulation.

It's a pretty much a security blanket for the military.
>>
>>862957
>$20 surplus
>does the same thing as $200 sleeping bag liners
>nothing special

ok
>>
File: deployment 006.jpg (805KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
deployment 006.jpg
805KB, 1600x1200px
we called it a ranger blanket in Canada and it's fan-fucking-tastic, one of the best pieces of snivel kit issued

>pic related, cozy in Kabul
>>
>>862927
Here, for the record
>>862980
This is what my buddy was issued.
>>
>>862962
>>>862957
>>$20 surplus
>>does the same thing as $200 sleeping bag liners
>>nothing special
>ok
Any idea as of what's the coldest weather this thing can help at?
>>
>>863003
It can help down to 0 kelvin if you really think about it.

I wouldn't use it solo as a sleeping blanket. Entirely depends on what you're using it for, just in general adding another layer is good.
>>
>>863003
>>862354
>>
>>862957
This is the impression I've always had of them, too. It's a synthetic blanket, there can't be very much special about it. If you already have a warm-weather sleeping bag, it's probably going to be more effective and smaller/lighter in your pack.

I can understand having affection for one if that's all you have, but I fail to see a reason for all the hype. Other things will be able to do the same job (even other blankets - when I was a kid, my mom kept something similar she got from Kmart in her car) and without needing to wear a used piece of camo-colored equipment.
>>
>>863038
The great thing is no one listens to fags with no experience on the thing theyre denouncing
>>
>>863040
Then explain what makes it different than any other synthetic blanket on the market. People talk about these things like they're the second coming of Jesus. It's a fucking blanket, explain to the laypeople what makes it so special.
>>
>>863046
Read the opinions of anons who have used one itt, then go buy one for <$30, use it, and quit being such a fucking faggot anon holy shit

Oh wait, who am i kidding? I forgot the shitposters around here never leave their homes. Carry on.
>>
>>863048
No, you need to break it down for me scientifically including every one of its component parts so that i may evaluate it over my moms synthetic kmart car blanket
>>
>>863038
It's popular cause its versatile
which from an weight saving perspective is very valuable.
>>
>>863048
>People say it's useful for keeping shit warm
>Cool, other stuff can do that, too
>No, this is the best invention ever. Fuck you for doubting it
>I thought it was just a blanket
>Fuck you, fag, you don't know what you're talking about. Woobie is the best thing ever.

That's what this thread is right now. I don't know why I expected more out of 4chan, but goddamn guys. Some people just want to know why someone is special when it's being praised this much.
>>
>>863053
Guess you read what you wanna read fag. Show me another $20 blanket that i can take to 5°f with my 50° bag and stay cozy as fuck while being able to pack it down to the size of 2 pair of socks. Oh shit you cant? Well there you go, bud. Enjoy.
>>
>>863038
>it's probably going to be...smaller/lighter in your pack.
There's no way a sleeping bag could be stuffed smaller than one of those blankets.
>>
4 generations of woobie love here
>>
>>862347
>Woobie is the faggot Army name for it.
faggot Army wannabe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSVCQ-NmTac
>>
is this some fingerbox level meme here?

Been in army as a 68A for a bit over a year now and ive never heard of this, never even heard anyone mention it.

Did they stop issuing them out or something?
>>
>>863250
I've heard of SERE and it does interest me but i heard it was mostly for pilots so they can handle themselves if they crash and get stranded.

would i be wasting my time if i tried asking to go to SERE as a 68A (medical equipment tech)?
>>
>>863055
Literally any packable blanket is comparable. Costco makes one out of down for $20 that will have way more insulating ability.

It's just a nylon shell with like 8 oz of polyester batting inside. There's absolutely nothing special about it.
>>
>>863241
need to get /out/ more m8
>>
>>862219
what do you want to know about it?

I can tell you I legitimately never once wore it under my poncho.

but I can aslo tell you that I stole 2 of them. they are comfy as fuck.

lol one of my buddies has this picture of me up to my calves in shit water flood rain in kandahar, and I am just rolling my eyes dressed in a poncho.

classic.
>>
>>863266

>Literally any packable blanket is comparable
>There's absolutely nothing special about it.

cannot effectively show how much contempt i have for this unimaginative and autistic post.

please go now, and kill yourself.
>>
>>863252
sere is mainly for flight crews. because there are more of them. but they get bullshit.sere.

sappers and rangers get real sere.

every sapper I know that went through sere got a bone broken.

no one evades
>>
>>863285
if i didn't give a damn about civilian side education i honestly would have not gone the 68A route...
My dad was an ol time infantryman and i grew up to like all the "hoah shit" and personally would have picked 18X/18B active duty as my mos when i enlisted instead of reserve side 68A.

But i understand the value of getting something out of the army i can use civilian side after seeing my dad leave with no real skills to use afterwards.

I do really well as a 68A and i do like what i do, but there will always be the craving to still go out and do crazy shit. When i heard that SERE was technically open to all MOS's i really wanted it, sounded like something id genuinely enjoy but then i heard that anyone outside of aviation/special forces never really get into it and i got a little bummed out, and never really asked about it thinking id be wasting mine and my commanders time.
>>
>>863058
A cheap 40 degree down bag will pack down to about the size of a grapefruit, weighs a little over a pound.
>>
>>863284
Did I hurt your feelings by insulting your fucking blanket?
>>
so how do you make one of these?
>>
>>863293
I really enjoyed your argument. It made me feel warm inside.

Warmer than some shit fuckin' BLANKET!
>>
>>863293
>>863297
you still here? too subtle for you?
is it not past your bedtime?
>>
>>863291
>will pack down to about the size of a grapefruit
that's a big goddamn grapefruit
>>
>People argue over wether or not a blanket is better than a blanket
>People argue over wether other people may or may not think that a blanket is better than a blanket

By the way, I know of these new things that work as actual poncho (that is, as an insulating garment AND a blanket) which apparently the original poncho liner doesn't have. They can also be zipped and corded shut to make a bag rather than a blanket, dunno wether the original can do that.
>>
>>863266
Yeah, nah, you're a cunt and your posts are shit
>>
>>863241
Reservists might not know about the woobie outside prior active duty.
Regular army it is standard issue, and I still have to tell privates that their woobie IS there poncho liner during layouts when I ask for the liner.
>>
>>862219
Bought one thanks to you guys. Don't let me down!

>flecktran for /fa/ purposes
>>
>>863241
68w here, best piece of field equipment ever. It might be the fact that you don't really "combat". Also: stop stealing my sharps containers you hospital fucks, it's MY job to steal shit from YOU!
>>
>>863290
Worst they can say is "no" also, you're a Reservist, what does your CO even have but time? Drop a 4187 and get pushy!
>>
I think it's pretty overrated and really has become a meme. But then I did spend most of my time at Drum where it could be -10 and our heaters would stop working at night so you needed the proper sleep system. My guess is most people who like the modern UCP poncho liners spent their time in warmer climates.
>>
>>863589
You already let your self down by buying chink shit.
>>
>>862219
>Worth it?
i think so, i have more than one and have used them for years under many conditions and although not perfect, if i had to start from scratch that would be one of my first purchases.
it would appear for some of the comments on this thread that the "poncho liner" has more than a few detractors. i really can't explain why that would be unless there was something more to their story than they have told.
if all you're looking for is a damn blanket than maybe keep searching, but if you need a versatile/quality piece of /out/door gear. then by all means snag one.
>>
>>863717
the times i spent in the field at drum were more like negative 25° F and if your heater quit working, it meant you were dead.
gimme my damn woobie.
>>
>>863693
>us military stealing supplies from each other
lol, and americans wonder why people laugh at your military.
>>
>>864235
Your bantz are weak
>>
First off its not "woobie", its a goddamn poncho liner and it saved my ass on my first pump in the afghan winter, all I had to say warm was that and a fleece because my team was 3 people, me being the boot I got fucked with the saw, all my ammo plus theirs, and their water, shit was miserable yo
>>
>>862219

I bought one a while ago from a military surplus store and I just don't get the fuss. The one I got was kind of thin and not all that warm, unless you double it over but then it's too small to wrap around. Yes, I'm sure it's genuine.
>>
>>864265
So is your military ^^
>>
>>864208
clarification : we rarely had access to external heaters so that my meaning was body heat only, and if that wasn't working, well you know the rest.
>>
>>864282
quit telling me what i can call my poncho liner/woobie.
>>
>>864295
That must be why your country uses our surplus, right?
>>
I have mine from when I was in the army. I have always used mine as a sleeping bag liner. When too hot to have sleeping bag zipped up, the poncho liner is great and lightweight. When its freezing cold, the poncho liner insulates your body heat and keeps you toasty.

I always bring mine when camping. It lines my lightweight and heavyweight sleeping bags
>>
Hey, if you want a quality "woobie" go check out the norwegian "jervenduk". It's by far a better one than the american made (inb4 usa usa usa shouts). It's more expensive, but I would recomend it to the ones who can afford it.

One question, does annyone know if I can get a woobie look-a-like in morocco? Would love to know some brands.
>>
>>864340
>That must be why your country uses our surplus, right?
Except we don't? Buttmadmerican loool
>>
>>864464
Check your vehicles, mudbutt, betcha $10
>>
>>864432
How you gonna inb4 usa usa while going norway norway in the same fuckin post
>>
>>863016
I think you messed up your degrees.
>>
>>864469
Nope, all home made. Sorry.
>>
File: 1471937680289.png (863KB, 914x674px) Image search: [Google]
1471937680289.png
863KB, 914x674px
>>863377
>people misspell 'whether'
>>
>>864514
China? Is that you? Your type 56 still counts you slay-eyed bastards!
>>
>>864282
Cool man. Like I said, the SERE bros called them woobies. And if that's what the SERE bros call them it's good enough for aircrew.
>>
>>864474
I'm not from norway, but the jervenduk is realy fucking good. I tried one from a norwegian friend of mine and it was much better and lighter compared to the american made.
>>
>>864625
Lighter? How the fuck could you tell? The amercan issued poncho liners are about as heavy as a fuckin paper towel
>>
I just got a woobie in the mail a couple of days ago. It's marpat/coyote. No zippers. Tag says Winston-Salem industries for the blind.
It doesn't seem all that warm. Warm for the weight, sure. I think it will serve me well in cool but not cold weather.
>>
>>862631
The cord is threaded through the woobie and you didn't have to modify that? I don't think you can do that with mine.
>>
>>864632
Its a liner for a reason anon
>>
I really hate the cutesy name for these. Like pupper.
>>
>>863058
My 25 degree down bag packs MUCH smaller than a woobie
>>
>>863241
F U C K I N G P O G S
U
C
K
I
N
G

P
O
G
S
>>
>>863048
I was 11B in the army. I used this thing dozens of times. It's just a fucking blanket.

Milsurp fags are the worst thing on /out/.
>>
>>862293
>ifunny
kys swaggot
>>
>>864678
Im not pro milsurp anything except these and cheap bivvys. Poncho liners are goat, you can eat a dick with your shitty army numbers
>>
With the laces they seem like they'd make an outstanding hammock underblanket solution.
>>
>>864636
He modified his but you don't have to modify it. It's just for convenience
>>
>>864432
Or if you want an even higher quality one than the Nords and you are not a neet check out Kifaru doobie.
>>
>>862354
>down to minus 10 f and was cozy af
Hm, that's -23 Celsius, that's very cold...
>>
File: 100_1139.jpg (2MB, 3968x2976px) Image search: [Google]
100_1139.jpg
2MB, 3968x2976px
fuck off no woobs
>>
>>864877
>fuck off
Why did you fuck in then?
>>
>>864678
>It's just a fucking blanket.
the name is a poncho liner, dingus.
if you were a real infantryman you would have used it more than a few dozen times.
get chaptered out in basic and now hate anything military related...a real bad case of sour grapes?
>>
>>863048
>explain how it's different than other synthetic blankets
>"just read the opinions bro!"
come on now
>>
>>865079
I'm sorry, I've missed your point.
what was it again?
>>
>>864626
It's almost 50 g lighter
>>
>>865079
What? God forbid you actually get some experience with the shit youre trying to denounce.

>>865521
So you looked up the weight. No one is going to notice 50 fucking grams.
>>
>>863131
No. Only Army faggots call it a woobie. Marines call it a poncho liner, because that's what it is.
>>
>>865618
>being a part of the department of the navy
>>
>>865618
And also the Air Force calls them woobies. Not that aircrew would ever need one. Sleeping outside is positively uncivilized.
>>
>>862252
>Water resistant
LUL
>>
Poncho liner is great. Combine w/ field jacket liner and you're one comfy AF high speed old army MF.

Also dunno when woobie came in. In 40th ID circa 90's everyone called it poncho liner.
>>
>>865593
Nobody's "denouncing" poncho liners. People are just pointing out that there's literally nothing special about them, which makes armyfags butthurt for some goddamn reason.
>>
>>865994
>People are just pointing out...butthurt.
yeah i would say you're trying to make your point the hard way...the very definition of butthurt...i'll take my woobie over your blanket, any day.

>armyfags
implying you're a non-armyfag, right?

why all the hate on the woobs?
>>
>>865994
I'm an army fag and I was the first one to point out theyre nothign special
>>
>>864897
>if you were a real infantryman you would have used it more than a few dozen times.
k. Bet you were the guy that used it as his bedsheets in the barracks
>>
>>865994
You are fucking retarded my man kys
>>
Pentagon Issues Shocking Poncho Liner Recall; Well-Loved “Woobie” Now Banned

http://article107news.com/pentagon-issues-shocking-poncho-liner-recall-well-loved-woobie-now-banned/
WOOBIE HATERS CAN REJOICE NOW
>>
File: 1416945810447.jpg (5KB, 242x209px) Image search: [Google]
1416945810447.jpg
5KB, 242x209px
>>866683
I r8 it 2/bait.
>>
I "tactically acquired" the new USMC version with a 3/4 side zipper before I EASd. Best gear I ever got
>>
>>866804
Whaaaaaat a zipper

You fuck
>>
>>866804
How long d'ya reckon before those start coming up for sale in unissued condition?
>>
has anyone tried making one? like modifying a moving blanket?
>>
>>867054
Why don't you just buy one or use the blanket as is?
>>
>>866805
Corps finally did something smart and ahead of the curve for a change gear wise instead of us using muskets and outdated gear.

>>866965
Plenty on Ebay, They just came out in 2015 so I doubt they will be in surplus for a few years unless you get some local to a USMC base or get lucky.
>>
>>862219
Its a quilted synthetic blanket. Its lightweight, reasonably effective at insulating and durable.
>>
>>862220
Poncho liner thread, not a damn blanket thread>>862347

>The poncho liner is superior to all other blankets
>>862957
>security blanket for the military
>>863038
>It's a synthetic blanket...blankets...from Kmart in her car.
>>863046
>It's a fucking blanket
>>863050
>i may evaluate it over my moms synthetic kmart car blanket
>>863266
>Literally any packable blanket is comparable.
>>863293
>insulting your fucking blanket?
>>863297
>Warmer than some shit fuckin' BLANKET!
>>864678
>It's just a fucking blanket.
>>867054
>like modifying a moving blanket?
>>867059
>Why don't you just buy one or use the blanket as is?
>>867255
>Its a quilted synthetic blanket.
damn shitposters say blanket again, you know you want to.
Thread posts: 119
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.