[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/scout/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

File: eagle.png (562KB, 975x1200px) Image search: [Google]
eagle.png
562KB, 975x1200px
who /eagle scout/ here?
>>
>>860372
One of my good friends was an Eagle Scout. If he were to try and spend a week innawoods, he would injure himself 2 hours into the first day and probably die. Patches and badges don't make up for a lack of common sense.
>>
>>860382
yeah I'm an eagle scout and I can't tie a square knot
>>
>>860372
left BSA 2 months before I would have been Eagle. Had all reqs completed, just had to wait it out and leadership change brought on politics.
Have always regretted not sucking it up but it was that bad.

>>860382
>badges don't make up for a lack of common sense
True but what I learned from earning over 100 Merit badges is you can learn anything fairly well if you apply yourself and can learn it enough to be passible and enjoy it with minimal effort.
>>
File: u5xWp4T_zpsudbe6qpr.jpg (178KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
u5xWp4T_zpsudbe6qpr.jpg
178KB, 1024x768px
Tiger to Eagle here.
Merit badges aren't intended to make you an expert in the field - they get you familiar with various activities and skills.
Just like education... "Straight-A's" doesn't mean you're smart... just means you can barf up information better than "D's get Degrees".
"Eagle Scout" has permanent residence on my resume, and every interview i've been in they've commented on it.
>Pic unrelated because phone
>>
My parents never let me be an Eagle Scout for the fear that I'd be molested.
>>
>>860560
this ain't catholic church sonny
>>
>>860422
>Eagle Scout on interviews
Does this work?
[spoiler]I was an Eagle Scout, and I thought it was just worthless junk past applying for your first job flipping burgers maybe.[/spoiler]
>>
>>860560
>"let me be an Eagle Scout"
>implying you wouldn't just give up like 98% of Boy Scouts
>>
File: image.jpg (234KB, 792x792px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
234KB, 792x792px
>>860384
I doubt this.
>>
>>860990
I'm not joking

I can tie a few other knots though but as tying knots isn't really that much of a focus after you learn how to do them, and you learn how to do them when you're like a tenderfoot. So by the time you reach eagle if you don't practice that shit a lot you just forget.
>>
I knew a couple of people in my old group became eagle scout. They work at Safeway and a concession stand at a theater. I'm trying to say I'm all high and mighty, but it seems that rank didn't do shit for them.
>>
>>861467
>square knot
>tenderfoot
It was for the rank of Scout. I'm detecting some stolen valor.
>>
>>860414
I got close to Eagle, but failed out of some mix of laziness and teenage rebellion.

I do regret it, but it hasn't hurt that much in the grand scheme of things.
>>
>>860372
>>860422
Tiger to eagle here as well, I'm still worthless innawoods. Had a bunch of leadership positions though, really helped when I became a paramedic.
>>
>>861743
actually that's just cus I have terrible memory
>>
Tiger to Eagle reporting, earned mine in 2012 to get the centennial patch.

I kinda wish I'd dicked around less in Scouts, because then I might've actually earned some awards on top of Eagle.

Anyway, volunteering as an ASM while I'm in college and it just feels odd knowing that I'm suddenly an authority figure in the eyes of the kids there.
>>
>>860372
>>860422
>>861809
Tiger to Eagle here as well. The Eagle definitely helped with college admissions, and it landed me an internship a couple years ago (they specifically told me that Eagle is what I had over the other candidates). It has a permanent place on my resume as well, I'm not really sure how much anyone has weighted it when considering me, but it can't hurt to show that you had initiative from a younger age.
>>
>>861743
>Implying anyone cares enough to remember for more than a year of being out
>>
>>860414
I was just one merit badge away from Eagle. Fuckin' personal finance.
>>
>>860985
No, if you are a grown adult and still bring this up there is something wrong with you.
>>
File: IMG_20160928_234716819_HDR-XL.jpg (137KB, 433x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160928_234716819_HDR-XL.jpg
137KB, 433x768px
>>860422 again

>>861809
>paramedic
nice, I work with EMT's every now and then. The shit you guys have to put up with sometimes... not just from clients, but politically as well... mad respect for dealing with that shit as professionally as you do.

>>865423
>college admissions
>internship (they specifically told me that Eagle is what I had over the other candidates)
>it can't hurt to show that you had initiative from a younger age.
(You) got it. People generally know what it is and have respect for what the Eagle badge stands for.

Every now and then I talk to coworkers and the topic of scouting comes up... Couple other Eagles in the company, and a bunch of coworkers with kids in scouts. Their reaction when they find out I'm an Eagle is usually initial surprise, then "I kind of expected that, actually. That's neat though, never knew that about you."

>>865585
As I get ready for the riding season... sponsorship commitments, going to shows/events... scheduling events/races/rides/classes/time-off from work through the winter... i'm also working with some higher-level instructors to further my skills as an educator this coming season.
Because snow-science and avalanche education isn't my career, I don't have many "official" certifications for that. I carry what I need, but professionally I'm an engineer, not a snow scientist.
"Eagle Scout" does stand out, even in those circles, as someone who knows a thing or two about the backcountry.
My experience on a snowmobile as a rider/racer/educator doesn't hurt, but again, it's not my career.
>>
>>865583
Kek, I was just talking to a guy at work about that yesterday. You have to track all your finances for three months?
>>
File: 2008-11-09-captain_america.jpg (345KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
2008-11-09-captain_america.jpg
345KB, 1440x900px
Eagle class of '89. Independently wealthy by age 41 (45 now). Own 10 rentals. Self-employed.
Kick your own ass now and accomplish things, or the world will kick your ass later...
>>
>>865808
Honestly, the work wasn't even that bad, I just kinda got bored with scouts and fucked off that last year.
Still kick myself in the ass about it.
>>
Tiger to Eagle here.
>>
>>860422
>Merit badges aren't intended to make you an expert in the field
This.
Merit badges are literally babbies first activities. They just introduce you to a new thing and teach you enough basics to allow you to pursue it further on your own if you so choose.
>>
Tiger to Eagle.

Keep the Eagle Scout on my resume as well. Doesn't really help unless the manager you are interviewing with is also an Eagle and then it can help. Never hurts though, nobody sees it and thinks negatively.
>>
>>868341
i always give preference to applicants
who became eagle scouts
they usually don't let me down
>>
>>860372
I'm an Eagle Scout, i got really active in our OA lodge and am still pretty active
>>
File: 1448807261822.jpg (2MB, 3112x2338px) Image search: [Google]
1448807261822.jpg
2MB, 3112x2338px
>>860422
>>860985
>>861809
>>865423
Love seeing some Tiger to Eagle bros. Definitely agree that the Eagle thing helped with interviews (especially for full time jobs), college, etc. Honestly the BSA was really good for me, gave me fun outdoorsy shit to do and people to hang with. Plus I get huge patriotism boners now.
>>
I got my Eagle back when I was 13 back in '03

Fuck, I used to be able to tie a bunch of the knots with one hand, now I can't remember hardly any except for the important ones I use for hauling shit or camping. I'll have to brush up on that

>>868341

I got into PA school last year and, not really excepting to even get an interview, I just threw my Eagle on my CASPA app for shits and giggles. Turns out, one of my interviewers was an Eagle and said he put some value into it. You really never know, and we even talked for a bit about some camp experiences. Everything I've read is that it never really hurts, unless it's specified that they only want accomplishments within the last 5 years or whatever.
>>
Tiger to Eagle. Earned mine of, 04. Great life skills somewhat used today.
>>
>>869470
Eagle Scout project was a quarter pipe skate ramp built for my local skate park. I don't skate myself. But it was a good cause for a barren concert slab.
>>
>>868341
Had to take Eagle off of my resume because it wouldn't fit. Don't think it's ever really helped me, although occasionally I'll find out that other coworkers are Eagles too.

Still have it on my LinkedIn profile though.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.