[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /out/, I am planning to hike the Appalachian Trail starting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

Hey /out/,

I am planning to hike the Appalachian Trail starting in mid March of next year. I am a complete retard and have had no camping experience besides sleeping in a tent in my yard when I was younger.

Hit me with any and all things pertaining to successfully hiking the trail (all opinions welcome)

>gear to procure (budget is flexible, I have no gear yet whatsoever)
>skills to learn (I quite literally know nothing about camping)
>books to read/pertinent articles or blogs
>stories/personal experiences on the AT greatly welcomed

I have been perusing /out/ a lot the past two months to try to get an idea of various products, experiences, etc. but I figured a thread dedicated to the AT would be more directly helpful for me and others interested in hiking it.

Again, any and all opinions are welcome, I am just looking for more of a starting off point in my preparations.
>>
Start off by accepting that you will never set foot on the AT.
>>
Why would you go from zero hiking/camping experience straight into a 2000 mile slog? It's almost like you want to have a miserable time and quit by the end of the first week. At least start off with a 2-3 night wild camp for fucks sake. You need to build up to it. Do you even know if you're of sound physical and mental faculties to achieve such a task?

I guess if you're determined to be retarded, try to be as lightweight as you possibly can and make sure your navigation skills are in order.
>>
File: inPlay.jpg (77KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
inPlay.jpg
77KB, 600x600px
off to a good start
>>
>>860346
Spend next year gaining experience and do the trail the following year. Also, start training. Not /fit/ training but actually getting healthy and decently strong and having a good cardiovascular base.
>>
File: CAM01481.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
CAM01481.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
>>860346
Good luck. You'll need it.
>>
>>860346
Same fagging here.
Experience is way more important than gear and experience will actually tell what gear you need.
And get a tent instead of a hammock... you'll actually be able to sit/sleep in more than one position. Big deal when you're hiding from torrential rains for 6 hours.
>>
>>860456
That's awesome that you don't need to leash doge on the AT. Makes me want to do it now.
>>
>>860389
Hundreds of people start the AT every year with no experience and go the whole way. No amount of 2-3 day backpacking trips will make a person 100% ready to hike 2100 miles. The only way to get in shape for a thru hike is to actually do a thru hike, your body will slowly but surely adapt to walking 25 miles every single day. Don't worry about lack of experience OP, just go out and do it, you're not the only newb out there.
>>
What does a thru-hike cost in supplies/food?
>>
>>860498
Like 3-4 thousand. I've heard of people doing it for 1500. I like to party and buy drugs, alcohol, so I'm bring 6500
>>
I will link you to places for actual help, most /out/ users are no help at all.
http://whiteblaze.net/

https://www.reddit.com/r/AppalachianTrail/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ultralight/

https://www.youtube.com/user/Biophthera

https://www.youtube.com/user/wmwood2001
>>
>>860381
this is what i'm talking about. Everyone here is a fucking cunt. Leave this thread OP, there are much more friendly and helpful places to talk about the AT.
>>
Reminds of somebody I used to know
>no outdoors experience
>boyfriend is going on the AT and she gets talked into a thru hike
>pack too heavy
>pace to fast
>not used to hiking
>no poles
>bad form
Fast forward years later and she loves backpacking but she fucked up her hips, back, and knees so badly that now it's always slow agony for her even in better shape.

Tl;dr work your way up or you will destroy irreplaceable parts of your body
>>
Two women and a guy got held at gunpoint here in VA on the Trail. The girls got there butthole broken in, and they beat the shit out of the guy. Have fun!
>>
>>860519
With that logic, don't travel to any major cities for vacation due to the thousands of annual murders, don't fly to a tropical island because on 9/11 hijackers took over planes and rammed them into buildings, don't drive in your car anywhere because millions of people have been killed in wrecks
>>
I'm glad I wore a condom
>>
The redhead had a tight, although stinky shitter. Not bad for a few days without a shower though
>>
OP here,

First off, fuck you, I have already set foot on the AT, this time I am preparing to thru hike >>860381

Secondly, at this point I am not quite sure about whether or not I am mentally ready, but it is something that I have wanted to do for a few years now and have the means/time to do it >>860389

Thanks >>860456

That's what I was thinking too. I am going with a friend and he tried to convince me to hammock but there is no way I would be comfortable sleeping like that for so long >>860495

Thanks, which is exactly why I made this thread, unfortunately even asking for help seems to incite unhelpful information. Hey look at me, I have no experience, well you might as well just kill yourself now because you're never going to make it >>860507

Thank you for a constructive answer >>860509

Any places in particular that you would suggest? >>860457

I know that between now and then is not a lot of time to work up to it physically but I am determined to go despite it. >>860513

Thanks! >>860519
>>
Duly noted

>>860531
>>860534
>>
File: 162345009.jpg (71KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
162345009.jpg
71KB, 640x360px
Here's how it started.
>>
>>860535
>at this point I am not quite sure about whether or not I am mentally ready

After a month of hiking everyday you pretty much get a new routine going and you'll start enjoying even rainy days, which are actually not to bad since it's easy to stay cool in those. It's not so bad too considering luxuries will seem so much better. Stopping into a place to wash your clothes and rest will be like staying in a hotel resort and restaurants will make you want to shed tears of joy. It's hard but learning to enjoy the hike comes naturally.
>>
File: She's waiting anon.jpg (172KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
She's waiting anon.jpg
172KB, 1024x576px
>>860346
Don't hike more than you feel you can especially if you have little experience, listen to your body. You'll just injure yourself and turn what's supposed to be enjoyable into misery.
>>
>>860346
Make sure you have shelter from the rain at around 3pm in the smokies. It usually rains at that time everyday over there.
>>
>>860346
You sound young so you can probably adapt and get in shape quickly, but just remember that tendon and joint injuries don't really heal. Ease into it. Rest when you need to. Listen to your body. And do your best to get adequate nutrition.

I'm older and three outta my four limbs have soft tissue damage. I have to train before any significant outing. Be careful and don't over reach.
>>
File: Spring-Beauty.jpg (37KB, 250x211px) Image search: [Google]
Spring-Beauty.jpg
37KB, 250x211px
>>860456
got me some poontang near the upper end of sweat heifer trail some time ago, laid her down in a bed of spring beauty's.
damn that is a nice memory.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.