[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Boundary Waters

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: stelprdb5227052.jpg (1MB, 1704x2272px) Image search: [Google]
stelprdb5227052.jpg
1MB, 1704x2272px
Let's talk about the Boundary Waters, /out/. I've just set up my first trip up into the area; it'll be end of September, early October, for about ten days. I've never been but I hear that it's amazing.

Have you been? Share some pics. How's the canoeing and weather that time of year? How's the fishing? Any recommendations for flies to bring?

Quetico is also an acceptable topic.
>>
>>858704
In regards to flies: right now I currently have a substantial stockpile of streamers (mostly woolly buggers) and some topwater stuff for bass. I'm not sure what the pike will be eating up there; leech patterns? Deceivers? Would some perch patterns work well? I'll be bringing my 9' 8 wt along for the trip.
>>
>>858704
Go to bed as soon at dusk, you'll see why when those fucking flies come out.

Portages are a bitch if you have a heavy ass canoe. I'd rec renting one if you're doing the 50miler.

Really pretty up there, saw a few eagles. They tell you to worry about bears and shit, but they were afk when we were there.

The small town (I don't recall the name of it, I went a few years back) is good and has decent places to eat when you get out.

When I went, it was May. The weather was ok, stormed really bad one night we were out and a bunch of the sites got damaged. 10 days is a good amount, we did the 50miler in like 7.

We didn't fish any, so I don't know what to tell you there.
>>
>>858750
I went from the US side btw, Minnesota.
>>
>>858780
>>858750
Yeah I'll be headed in from Ely, MN I believe, and plan on spending one night there before driving home.

You say the bugs were bad in May; do you really think that'd be an issue in October?
>>
>>858933
It depends on the temperature and the wind.

October could easily see some frost, which can kill the bugs, but the larvae can stay alive on the warmer water and may hatch when the sun comes out.
>>
File: apikefly7.jpg (262KB, 1040x727px) Image search: [Google]
apikefly7.jpg
262KB, 1040x727px
No fly fishermen to help with fly selection?
>>
Bear spray? Y/N? I won't be able to bring a firearm.
>>
>>860945
I've never had bear problems when I've gone, but I always try to camp on islands so I don't need to deal with that shit.
>>
>>858933
You gonna stop at the Tim Hortons in Tower?

I ask because I currently live about an hour from there and Timmy's is the best.

Also, don't rent a hotel in Ely, there are a bunch of free campsites out the first roads, hell, it's national forest land all over up there so you could just camp wherever.
>>
File: Billy-Mays1.jpg (37KB, 412x397px) Image search: [Google]
Billy-Mays1.jpg
37KB, 412x397px
>>861033

bears can swim bro
>>
>>861322
Okay bait
>>
>>860945
No you wont need bear spray, if a bear sees you they will most likely run away.
>>
>>858704
>Bugs
Not gonna be an issue, too cold
>Bear spray
Black bears only, not a threat.
This is the best time of year for the BWCA. Fall colors, no bugs, I'm jealous of you, anon.
>>
>>861322
But they don't swim out to small islands in the middle of the lake for no reason, so camp on those.
>>
>>862150
Nice! good to know. I'm pretty pumped, all stocked up on flies and gear almost packed. I'll bring some DEET just in case though.
>>
Bears aren't a problem as long as you use common sense and not leave your food sitting out. We always hung our food at night. Never had a problem.
>>
I was up in the BWCAW early July this summer. It was awesome. I volunteered with the OA and National Forest Service to build trails for a week. Did 128 miles in 12 days. Ask me anything!
>>
>>863595
Awesome! Uh let's see. What's the most important item that most people forget for a trip like this? How bad is the typical portage? What area of the BWCAW were you in?
>>
>>858704
Went there with another family in canoes in the 1970s. Land Between the Lakes.
Learned the meaning of the word Portage.
Endless paddling through crystal clear water.
Lashed our canoes together, made a sail from walking sticks and ponchos.
Orange 2-man tents.
Huge clouds of skeeters at dusk.
Caught a Walleye.
Bear figured how to get our food from the Duluth pack up the tree.
Chased it away banging pots and pans.
Ranger gave us Hudsons Bay Bread.
Damn that was great, esp. for a 12 year old boy.
>>
>>859209
What you looking for?
I'm actually looking for Lake MI salmon fly patterns I can tie for this Sunday.
>>
>>858704
apparently fall and early spring are the prime Lake Trout times. They move up the water channel and are way easier to catch. Especially fall, because they're getting ready to spawn.

I was up in Quetico with some family back in the middle of June. I've been to the Boundary Waters about a half-dozen times, but I've never been to Quetico. Went in through Cache Bay and up to Saganagons and day tripped up the Falls Chain a bit. It was a good trip. FIshing could have been a bit better, but we got some good fish.
>>
>>863724
The most important item for me was rain pants. They were a lifesaver when I was in camp wearing my "dry clothes" and a storm came rolling in. The average portage wasn't that bad, but the one I worked on was 340 rods (about 1 mile) located next to basswood falls. I worked on horse portage, and then canoed east through basswood and knife then swung south and pond hopped the lakes around kekakabic lake.
>>
>>863724
TOILET PAPER.

Not kidding, do not forget this.
>>
>>868394
Nah dude I went 3/4 of my trip without it. I used broad leaf aster, which grew plentiful up in the bwca. On the 9th day I took some from an international portage and kept it in a bag.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.