[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Snake advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 13

File: Photo 14-04-2016, 8 33 40 AM.jpg (3MB, 3456x3456px) Image search: [Google]
Photo 14-04-2016, 8 33 40 AM.jpg
3MB, 3456x3456px
Hi /out/,

I was hoping to get some advice and create some useful discussion about snakes.

Today while I was out in the bush (NSW, Australia) I saw what I believe was an Eastern Brown Snake and although I was walking at a steady pace and I was just under a meter from it, the snake recoiled and got ready to attack me.

It's common to see a snake every now and then where I live, I remember I came out of the swimming hole on a rainy day to find fang marks on my body from green tree snakes (possibly) that were in the water.

How do I protect myself against snakes? Is the method of tying off the bitten limb proven effective? What encounters have you had?

Cheers
(Pic unrelated - going up to Avalanche Peak near Arthurs Pass, NZ)
>>
File: snake gun.jpg (54KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
snake gun.jpg
54KB, 640x480px
>>858069
>How do I protect myself against snakes?
if they're a major problem i'd recommend a revolver with .410 birdshot shells, but
>ausfailia
so i guess pay attention to your feet and don't get bit?

>Is the method of tying off the bitten limb proven effective?
not really. a "light occlusive band to impede lymph flow" was what i was taught in medic school, but it's not going to do much

>What encounters have you had?
not many. mountains are thick with buzzworms, but i've been lucky.
>>
>>858069
Brown snakes are fucking cunts. Not like those based af tiger snakes

remember that most snakes are just trying to intimidate you so back away slowly and you should get away fine. brown snakes can be aggressive and chase you though, so I'd recommend being extra careful with them.

If you're concerned I would recommend buying some thick sea to summit gaiters. You see a lot of bush walkers wearing them. supposedly, because of their small fangs, the thick waterproof gaiters help with most snake bites and its rare they'll get you through them.

Personally, I just hike in loose-ish pants which I've been told is good for snake bites because they'll more than likely latch onto the fabric, avoiding your leg. Hopefully I dont ever have to test this theory though.

if you do get bitten, don't move and call an ambulance immediately (I'd recommend getting ambulance cover at about $10 a quarter - in Vic anyway. it'll save you potentially 1000's if you do need a helicopter or ambulence out of trouble). Was told this by an ER nurse recently, not sure of the veracity, but getting cellphone service and talking to 000 is definitely a good first action
>>
>>858077
jesus christ some americans are autistic. you don't need to shoot everything.

There are special snake bite pretection gaiters that students had to wear when I was a camp instructor. If you're really worried, invest in some of those.
>>
>>858077
>shoot it with a gun
Top kek

>>858080
Yeah, not a big fan of brown snakes. I've actually been developing quite a fear of snakes lately and I don't want it to get in the way of my outdoor activities.

Sounds like there's not much I can do apart from hope I have reception and back away when possible.

Thanks anyway.

>>858085
Interesting idea. Might hit those up for big bush bashes.
>>
>>858069
I have just given up desu. What will be will be. By the time anyone finds me, or a helicopter spots me in the scrub I will be dead. If I walk to a trail I will be dead.

I've had mouse spiders and funnel webs crawl over my face while I was trying to sleep. I think living in aus you just gotta make peace with yourself and do the basic stuff, like make heaps of noise and not stick your hands where you can't see.
>>
>>858077
I know a guy who owns a judge, never realised they actually had a purpose until now.
>>
>>858080
this is great advice
>>
File: IMG_20151128_131659.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151128_131659.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>858127
> owning a boat anchor that's not a DE
Just why?

Op, Amerigun here. I don't bother shooting rattlers in the SW, on my property I just behead them with a shovel. While /out/ and about, I awareness and avoidance.

That is until you see one, then you catch it, kill it and wear it's skin.

> creeps out the traditional Navajos
>>
>>858077
>getting a gun in Australia
They had a gun grab, I don't think they can even get 410
>>
>>858069
Wear tall leather boots or bite-proof gaiters.

Walk around bushes and rocks, don't step over them.
>>
File: 4534321324.jpg (44KB, 500x519px) Image search: [Google]
4534321324.jpg
44KB, 500x519px
>>858069
I got bit in my driveway one night. well, it broke skin but didn't sink fangs in. still had to stay in overnight and get monitored. hope you're not afraid of needles.

If you're out bush and a brown gets you, you're probably fucked. Your best hope is that you get lucky and it's a dry bite.

a meter is way two close, you want to be at least two or three from it, minimum. as another anon said, they're super aggressive and will actively come after you if they get in the mood.

Make plenty of noise to hopefully deter them. stomp your feet, kick the underbrush (being sure there's not one where you're kicking).

most of the other main things have been mentioned already. heavy duty gaitors, ambulance cover (most private cover should include it, if you don't have that, state ambo services usually have it available too. it's a pain in the arse having something extra to pay for, but if you ever need an ambulance, even once in your life, it'll save you thousands.

Keep up on your first aid. wrapping a snakebite is pretty much the same as it's always been. Some modern bandages have markings on them to help you get the correct amount of compression. keep movement, panic and exertion to a minimum. Try to get ID on the snake, the hospital needs to know what it was to give the right antivenom.

I'm fucking paranoid of them being under every rock, bush, crack or clump of grass now. I hate walking home at sunset when every twig casts a long snek shaped shaddow.
>>858226
I have a long barrel .410 for home defence against reptiles. Getting caught with a pistol of any caliber anywhere outside of a range though, and you'll be fucked seven ways from sunday.
>>
>>858069
>>858077
I've been around snakes 40+ years and never once have I had problems with them, where I couldn't just walk around them.

Then again I don't trample around like a moron and don't step into the bush in places that would probably have snakes without 1st inspecting the area.

The only time I had to kill snakes was when the people around me were flipping the fuck out into literally heart attack mode.
>>
>>858069
Just do what I did OP, inject yourself with very small doses of venom and build up your tolerance until you can sustain a full bite.

I am only immune to monocled cobra venom and partially immune to water moccasins though, not brown snakes. I understand those are exceptionally nasty.
>>
File: 20160915_100332.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160915_100332.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Saw a few sneks on a hike I took a few days ago, nothing too dangerous here though.
>>
File: 20160915_085100.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160915_085100.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>859114
Not sure what this one is
>>
File: _20160727_161733 (1).jpg (811KB, 3946x1564px) Image search: [Google]
_20160727_161733 (1).jpg
811KB, 3946x1564px
Gaiters or snake boots are worth the cost.
>>858077
.410 will damage the hide, just learn your weapon.
>>858085
>>858991
Be sure to tell grandma why you never kill rattlesnakes on your property when you visit her in the hospital after she steps on one on your driveway walking out to her car after thanksgiving dinner.
>>858181
I usually just do the shovel but I don't always have a clear shot if he's pissed off and coiled.
>>
File: 1470972877672.jpg (1MB, 2814x1534px) Image search: [Google]
1470972877672.jpg
1MB, 2814x1534px
>>859114
Nice copperhead, I have a matching one in my freezer.
>>859115
My guess would be eastern garter snake, although some sub's are close in color/pattern.
>>
File: cotton-mouth.jpg (118KB, 960x663px) Image search: [Google]
cotton-mouth.jpg
118KB, 960x663px
Be 7yo me:

>out on camping trip with dad and uncle
>Hiking down a woodland trail
>7yo retarded me starts walking off by the bush next to the trail
>stop to contemplate existence/stare at a butterfly or some shit
>Hear dad go "oh, shit" behind me
>turn around to see what happened
>"Anon, do NOT move."
>never seen Dad this tense before
>follow his gaze, mfw coiled up cottonmouth 8-10in from my right foot
>oh sweet, snek - 7yo me
>at least I had the common sense to stay the fuck still when I saw it.
>Dad picks up a branch, picks up snek with it and throws it into the bush
>grabs me and we get the hell out of Dodge

How fucking lucky was I actually that day, guys?
>>
File: triggering intensifies.jpg (16KB, 300x209px) Image search: [Google]
triggering intensifies.jpg
16KB, 300x209px
>>858085
>>858089
>>858991
you whiny fucking bastards. op asked about how to protect himself against snakes. here are his choices:
>avoidance
op has already demonstrated he sucks at that
>shovel
you're going to carry 5 feet of metal and wood everytime you go /out/?
>gun
significantly more packable than a shovel, but i recognized and commented that he's from australia, and would therefore have to improve his use of option 1

tl;dr lrn2readingcomprehension and take it easy on the kneejerks
>>
>>860151
>take it easy on the kneejerks
the only kneejerk reaction here is you thinking that besides total avoidance the only option left is to harm the snake.

OP just needs gaiters and to be aware. Despite our gun laws and having never seen someone on a trail with a 5 foot shovel, we have barely any snake deaths each year.
>>
File: 20140413_095559.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
20140413_095559.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
>>858069
long pants, good boots and maybe a walking stick.
Best option in Aus. I guide bush walking and ive never had a problem with the above
>>
File: Snake-Gaiters.jpg (80KB, 800x525px) Image search: [Google]
Snake-Gaiters.jpg
80KB, 800x525px
>>858069

Aus-bro here.

I wear snake proof gaiters when hiking in the bush (Tenterfield area). Had a massive scare when I stood on a red-belly black snake a little while back. Fucken thing came around and hit the ankle of my boot. I screamed like a bitch and jumped a mile in the air. By the time I landed, it had fucked off.

Mate and myself spent the next half hour examining my leg for any sign of a strike. All okay, but was paranoid every fucken stick i saw on the ground after that.
>>
File: CG09_04-Large.jpg (255KB, 1627x1080px) Image search: [Google]
CG09_04-Large.jpg
255KB, 1627x1080px
>>860225

Random pic of a red-belly black.

Nice looking snake when you look at him.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.