[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fear innawoods

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 13

File: okpok.jpg (682KB, 1521x1141px) Image search: [Google]
okpok.jpg
682KB, 1521x1141px
Hello /out/

I bet nearly any /outist/ was afraid of the dark and the noises heard innawoods when he/she was out camping the first couple of times.

How did you overcome it?

How do you stop silly thoughts, about noises for example, coming up and manifesting themself?

How do you make yourself feel secure?
>>
>>857707

Just keep going, level up until you recognize you're fine and you're apart of it.
>>
>>857707
just be yourself :-^)
>>
>>857707
muh guns. desu. I always go deep woods. I have my mosin for long range and I carry my mossberg 590 for protection from anything i need. Also a S&W MP 9mm incase i run out of 12 ga
>>
Hard to say, I was camping at 3 y/o and have never stopped.
>>
I live in Australia. Literally see dangerous animals during any out activities

fishing
>crocodiles
surfing
>shark
Hiking
>King brown snake

Still shit myself but keep going
Not really much you can do
>>
>>857707
>How did you overcome it?

Knowledge beats fears, if you know which animal makes those frightening sounds, you will not be afraid anymore. That´s why you should always start your outdoor life witha n experienced guide, who explains it to you, like your hunting grandfather for example.

>How do you stop silly thoughts

If there are dangerous animals, fear is good to save you from unwanted encounters. If there are none there is nothing to fear in the woods, since ghosts and aliens don´t exist.
>>
>>858258
>there is nothing to fear in the woods, since ghosts and aliens don´t exist.
amen brother
>>
>>858189
So you're a raging pussy?
>>
>>858258
>Knowledge beats fears

This. Worst wasn't when I first started camping but when I camped in a different state and started to set up a tent in the dark without knowing the surrounds. Heard something moving. Could have been a crock for all I knew. Threw tent back in the car quick and went elsewhere. It could have been nothing to worry about buy if you don't know...
>>
>>858222
fark m8 just keep with your knoife within reach at all toimes and she'll be right.
>>
>>858189
Camping, amerifat style.
>>
>>857707
Take a big knoife and/or a gun.
>>
>>858273
he's not the one afraid of inanimate objects.
>>
>>857707
>I bet nearly any /outist/ was afraid of the dark and the noises heard innawoods when he/she was out camping the first couple of times.

Still get my fair share of spooks.

Just muscle on, man. I drove out here to have a good time, and goddamnit, I'm gonna have a good time. Spooks be damned.

>How do you stop silly thoughts, about noises for example, coming up and manifesting themself?

Just play it off. Your mind is getting the best of you. That sound? Probably a critter, one that's probably more spooked by you, than you are it.

>How do you make yourself feel secure?

I guess... You just do? Take a moment to rationalize the noise, go from there.
>>
File: IMG_20160915_222303.jpg (532KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160915_222303.jpg
532KB, 1280x720px
>>857707
Just slept through it, I am pretty controlling over my list of things to be bothered about. Or doodling for me is a good way to overcome it.
>>
>>858290

>be europoor
>try and camp
>get raped and dumped into a river by moderates
>>
>>858295
It sounds like he's deathly afraid of everything, but gr8 b8 m8.
>>
>>857707
Get drunk
>>
>>858295
>>858273
>>858290
I live in cold climate surrounded by moose, bear, and wolves. Those are just the biggest treats. I dont want to end up like the hundreds of others who end up never returning
>>
>>858545

>Get drunk

But don´t smoke weed, paranoia will kill you at night.
>>
I'm more antsy being home alone than /out/doors alone. I can handle bears, cougars, etc. But a dindu nuffin breaking into my home and waving a weapon around is scary as fuck.
>>
File: lager_kroete_kothe.sized.jpg (158KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
lager_kroete_kothe.sized.jpg
158KB, 640x480px
>>857707
one thing that really helped me when i was just a little cubscout, was my troop leader.
he was the coolest guy i ever met, the kind of person every kid wants to become, when they grow up. like a father 2.0, a male idol, a teacher and a trustworthy friend.
he had a way to deal with afraid children just by ignoring them and being calm and it helped.

we had trips /out/ for 5+ days without any kind of modern technology, except for our clothing.
we slept in cloth tents innawoods like pic related, showered with heated up water from a lake, cooked with a campfire and so on.

we werent allowed to use flashlights or even candles, so we were forced to adapt to the sitiuation of not having any source of light except for the campfire and campmade resin torches, but once your eyes have adapted to the dark, you will be able to see just enough to move around. your other senses will adapt to the lack of vision and you will be able to determine the size, direction and distance of anything that makes noises.
the first 2 nights at camp were hard, but then i lost my fear of the dark while playing a complicated capture the flag game with the other cubs against some older boyscouts, innawoods under a crecent moon and a cloudy sky at 10 years of age.
it was dark as shit and we were crawling through along the mud alongside our troop leader trying to be really quit to take the objective.
it was amazing, we felt as a part of nature like a pack of hunting wolves. we were to busy concentrating on our suroundings and our movement to be afraid of the noises or the dark.
since then i never felt any kind of fear of the dark innawoods.
nowadays having three dogs around, a walking stick and a knife helps keeping me calm, even if some larger animals come close.
>>
Eh, I wouldn't worry about it, OP.
>>
>>858294
this. I slept pretty easy with a bear/elk sniffing my tent after breaking a branch on its way down the valley wall towards us. didn't get up to piss that night, but my ex at the time sure did want to get cozy that night.
>hear branches breaking and debris shifting on soft hillside
>standing next to car
>bitch is in tent already
>take off all my clothes
>head to tent with muh knife
>sleep with bag unzipped

tfw whatever was sniffing the tent was bigger than a dog
tfw you realize you're in an arid climate and you brought water with you into the tent
>>
get a dog and a gun
>>
>>858637
Cool story anon, sounds awesome.
I now regret quitting scouts after 1,5 years :^)
>>
I wouldn't worry about it.
>>
>>857722
>you're a part of it
This.
That's what I told myself to get over it.
>>
File: 1459186453994.jpg (65KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1459186453994.jpg
65KB, 1280x720px
>>858188
>just be yourself :-^)
>>
File: 1455185206412.jpg (64KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1455185206412.jpg
64KB, 600x600px
>>857707
Don't worry about it fellow human. Just roll over and go back to sleep.
>>
>>857707
Implying i'm not a crazy paranoid fuck when in the woods

>How do you stop silly thoughts, about noises for example, coming up and manifesting themself?
By embracing death and preparing for my end.

Sharp sticks, bow, carrying a tacticool mall ninja knife or a Yugo AK bayonet and by singing
>>
I live in Montana so I'm perpetually terrified of grizzlies
>>
>>857707
I camped on the same beach as this couple one day before. saw them come in and she waved hi.
It still freaks me out.

https://vimeo.com/110113115
>>
I sleep with silicon ear plugs, I hear literally nothing and just pass out. Problem is, what if an axe murderer is lurking in the shadows, I would never know.
>>
I just try to focus on the good night sounds, like crickets chirping or flowing water. Any kind of rustling i shrug off as quails or white tails which are in abundance where i'm frequently out at so when i go to non local places backpacking i always just tell myself that snuffling bear sounding thing is just a quail
>>
>>860714
Why did you do it Marques?
>>
>>858222
How do you even do /out/ stuff when our forests are all locked up
>>
When did you realize it was time to come out of the closet?
>>
>>858588

That shit is the best. First time I ever got high while /out/ I got to hear a fox scream. Scared the shit out of me, I mag dump in its general direction. Gotta protect myself from skinwalkers.
>>
>>858537
Why would he be afraid he's got a gun.
>>
>tfw having to carry plenty of strong liquor because you won't be able to sleep otherwise
>>
>>858530
meh can barely legally camp here outside the designated camping grounds which are mostly fenced and often even guarded.
>>
>>858273
>>858290
>Losing your shit over something your government won't even let you buy

Man it feels great not to be a child
>>
aight so tomorrow I'm gonna make attempt nr 2 on my first solo overnight

plan is to hit the gym early in the morning then drive my car to the trail head and then just fucking walk it until it starts to get dark

then make camp and hopefully collapse on blissful sleep
>>
>>858258
Skinwalkers are neither ghost or aliens, anon.
>>
File: 2012-09-12 10.01.47.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
2012-09-12 10.01.47.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
>>860343
Good point.
>>
>>858581

Don't try to explain man. Alaska fag here, I know exactly what you're talking about. Seems like the ppl on here don't care for having those animals there an excuse, that you're not really a man for bringing a gun.

Niggers here are autistic, don't understand Murphys law.
>>
>>860779
Australians are fucking crazy.
>>
Nights have always felt safer for me; like a blanket

Noise rules at night in regards to animals; sight matters little

None of the animals will hurt you anyway

Walking down the streets at night in the city should make you scared; humans are the predators of us. Every person you pass, could be your end.
>>
File: askingforit.png (159KB, 564x274px) Image search: [Google]
askingforit.png
159KB, 564x274px
>>860710
bear lives matter
>>
>>858189
you're camping, what do you expect to happen? an invasion?
>>
>>862751
the US gov lets me buy that. but it was all passed down fo freee!
plus no one needs that much firepower to go camping. one gun would be enough. even if youre hunting?
how shitty of a shot could you be?
>>
>>857707
Carry a 12 ga loaded with slugs. Keeps me feeling pretty fuckin safe m80.
>>
>>860727
Is this safe?
>>
>>864943
it's nice to be prepared for all eventualities ,besides guns are fun.
>>
File: 1471804569239.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
1471804569239.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
>>857707
I can kill
count sheep
don't give a shit, find solace in the fact you will fight to the death with the abominable yeti and win.
>>
File: 12723131.jpg (2MB, 2834x2216px) Image search: [Google]
12723131.jpg
2MB, 2834x2216px
>>857707
>>
>>860779
Not him and I dunno about you but there are plenty of places to go out. National parks and state forest are the usual spots. There are also patches of crown land near me which I've never camped in but are alright for stuff in the day at least.
>>
Oh I know exactly what you are talking about, OP! Let me help you:

I never did.

I don't. I let them become a part of the outdoors experience, I allow my senses to extrapolate what little of my environment they can absorb and let it fill my conscience with fear.

If I wanted to feel secure I would stay home.
>>
>>857707
not by lurking on /out/.
many years of experience in the woods here, very rarely armed.
after spending time on /out/ and seeing how many autistic folks are on here, seriously reconsidering my choice.
>>
>>857707
I overcame it just by doing it a lot. The hardest part for me is I live in a far north place where in the summer it is bright at night. I guess you can apply the same strategy to noises at night, but I just make sure I am really tired by the time my tent is set up. Then I'm straight to sleep no matter how bright it is.
>>
Been camping for roughly 11 years and about 3-4 alone. I normally camp with my good friend from school. At first I use to camp in areas I knew that worked fine, later on when I went to unknown lands I became nervous and even left camp and walked home because I chickened out. I personally found if I am tired then I am more willing to camp out in BF nowhere. I also found spending 5-15 minutes listening to the noises around my camp with my eyes closed worked great. Listen to the birds, the snakes, the crickets and yes even the wolves and bears. Just listen and learn the area and you'll become use to it. PS: I hate howling owls they sound like a primate thats going to kill me. Anyway just set up and get comfy and you'll do fine. Have fun mate
>>
File: camocamo.jpg (185KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
camocamo.jpg
185KB, 500x750px
>>857707

This will depend on the person I think. I never had this issue, but in the military I met a lot of city boys who had it. In general, being in the dark as opposed to being in a circle of light in a dark environment helped.

You get used to it, you get to know your environment, you get to know and practice, practice, practice what you can do to help yourself. This is especially important in winter when the cold can actually kill you.

Good knife, preparation, good camp, confidence by experience. Also assault rifles, grenades and a platoon of soldiers plus objective specific auxiliaries at my disposal in the army.
>>
>>857707
I bring a handgun. Camping is the only time I carry one. Shit's spooky yo.
>>858273
>>858290
Unlike yurope we haven't genocided the vast majority of our megafauna. One dumb angry moose and you've got a broken leg a couple miles of crawling away from a cell signal.
>>
>>867369

Easy now. Northern europe still has elk, wolves, stags, bears and all that shit.

That being said, meeting with a horny male elk in its prime was scary as hell.
>>
>>867377
And the vast majority of yuros that go out into the few pockets of remaining wildlife are licensed hunters carrying longarms.
There's a level of ubiquity in America that nowhere in Europe can even approach.
>>
File: DSC_1378.jpg (953KB, 1200x803px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1378.jpg
953KB, 1200x803px
First solo overnighter innawoods:
>tarp above, open on all sides
>dark asf looking into woods on 3 sides, light on lake side
>tell myself "why would anyone be in the mountains in the middle of nowhere at 3am in early spring", no predators in NZ, not even any skinwalkers.
>sleep with sheathed knife clutched to chest anyways, figured I'd either get insta killed or if not use said knife to defend.
>alcy and weed definitely helped me get into that "you better kill me quick or i'm gonna fuck you up" mindset
>get over fear pretty quickly as "why cold why" becomes main concern
>>
>>860779
Victorian reporting in
There are a fair few national parks, state parks and the like.
Where abouts do you live?
I wonder if people from Western Australia go innawoods often?
>>
>>867430
This
>live in NZ
>literally no wildlife can kill me
it's so calming
Looks super cozy btw, enjoy the waterfronts before the mosquitoes make it a living hell.
>>
>>867677

Man can still kill you. It's not rare for criminals to gtfo to the woods when fleeing.
>>
>>867379

You've never been to the nordics I take it? Fucking deer and elk everywhere. Few pockets of remaining wildlife my ass.

But for continental Yurop and UK you're spot on.
>>
>>857707

Didn't really had any problems with being scared of the woods. Grew up in bum fuck no where alaska (family is homesteaders) by the time I started to soli camp, I already knew what was out there and all that jazz.

Now I live in Seattle, I so miss the woods. Might work plumbing job for a few more yrs, save up and move back.
>>
How do I not be afraid of bears coming to fuck me up? I can hang my food and everything smelly up way high, but that doesn't mean they can't just like stumble upon my tent.
>>
>>869412
Mossberg 500 12 ga. w/ slugs.
>>
>>864659
>very person you pass, could be your end.
This.
Also you can catch all kind of shit from people.
>>
>>865300
Guns are tools. Are hammers, spades, drills, leaf blowers are fun too?
>>
>>869429
What if guns are not an option?
>>
>>869442
Spray, and rest easy with the knowledge that they'll probably just ignore you unless you're in Alaska or some shit, which you aren't because guns aren't an option.
>>
>>869439
Hammers and drills yes, spades not really, leaf blowers not really unless you're just fucking around with them.
>>
Regarding aliens, always remember they will wipe your memory anyway
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.