[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /out/ a while ago i went to a semi desserted beach and saw

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 8

Sup /out/ a while ago i went to a semi desserted beach and saw a lot of these, what do you think about em?
>>
>>856010

sorry wrong pic
>>
>>856011
>>
>>856013
>>
>>856010
>>856011
>>856013
>>856015
Cairns? Meh, I don't do it and don't really see the point, but floats hipsters' boats, idgaf. My wife thinks they're cool if we see them /out/ though so whatever. This board hates them though because it's like 75% edgelords in here.
>>
Really useful on unmarked remote trails like the CDT for example, they guide you along the path
>>
Babbys first /out/ trolling attempt?
>>
>>856032
>My wife thinks they're cool
what does your wifes son think of them?
>>
>>856010
Anon visiting from /k/ here. I know that /out/ hates these, and I do too (except in cases where they're necessary to mark trails above the treeline), because of general leave-no-trace/minor habitat destruction reasons. And because they're kind of faggot. Are there any other reasons why /out/ dislikes them?
>>
>>856010
This may be an unpopular opinion but fuck it.

They are fucking awful, probably one of the worst, popularly perceived "harmless" things you can do while out. Allow me to explain.

First of all, when you touch rocks you are imparting your skin microbes and potential pathogens onto them. You don't know how those microbes will react with nature, it could kill some organism you're not even aware exists. Second, where I live I often see them near bodies of water such as a stream, creek, or waterfall. This is bad to do anywhere near water, because there are lots of different organisms, particularly amphibians such as salamanders (which are often endangered, at least here), which completely depend on rock cover for their habitat and livelihood. When you have a bunch of these things stacked all around you slowly diminish their ability to hide and therefore are basically personally slitting the throat of an endangered species. As out people we shoudl try to protect the earth's natural wonders, not try to modify it "so it looks pretty to us" by building arbitrary structures that serve no purpose. Rant over. PS if you build these things I hate you and I'm going to always kick them down when I see them.
>>
>>856063
Mostly to be contrarians, but also because in frequently-traveled places they tend to appear in obnoxious clusters and serve no real purpose other than for people wanting to "leave their mark". When the wilderness is littered with them, they very well deserve to be kicked down.

>>856067
You're not gonna destroy the environment by touching rocks, friend. In the Adirondacks we tend not to get too many stone cairns, but there is a weird tradition of picking up a rock and carrying it with you to the top of the higher peaks like Marcy. It's not really harmful and the park services use the rocks to build borders around endangered vegetation.
>>
>>856054
>>856032
>>856063
>>856067
>>856076

op here, wasn't rolling, considering where we were hangin out they were just made by yoga practicing neo hippy new age vegan eating pretentious rich kids and they do were an absolute eyesore
>>
File: cairn_kick.gif (764KB, 293x390px) Image search: [Google]
cairn_kick.gif
764KB, 293x390px
>>856162
>rolling

>i meant trolling

anyway told my friend to kick em while i took some photos and made these, thought some of you might like
>>
>>856010
My oh my wowee. Them some nice stone stacks. Gonna have to throw on my steel toes, android device, Mora and hop in my Jeep and head to the outskirts of the city where I saw some similar stacks of stones sitting by the shore so I can film myself ramming the tip of my boot right into the center of the cairn, thus causing the collection of cobble to crumble. When I'm done with my /out/ing I can post them on my local wildaboo white nationalist image board and my lord and savior the almighty Kek will bless me with trips.
>>
File: 1432677050738.png (196KB, 500x491px) Image search: [Google]
1432677050738.png
196KB, 500x491px
>>856169
Yeah. If they serve no purpose except getting some dude named Sunrise laid they deserve to be kicked the fuck down. Good on ya OP.
>>
>>856010
>>856011
>>856013
>>856015
I rarely go on trail at all.
People hate cairns because it reminds them people were there, and ruins their illusion of being alone and in nature.
What people rarely think about it how seeing other people and well built trails also breaks that illusion.
In order to gain the full illusion I need to go for a few weeks off trail, living out of the back-backcounty.
Its still an illusion. Even the san juans/alaska/northern canada arent the actual wild. Humans still exist, and one can never gain the full experience of self sufficiency and peace.
But hey, it breaks it for me so its all good.
Either way, kick that shit OP
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.