[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

effing mosquitos

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Monster-mosquito_o_11195.jpg (72KB, 389x389px) Image search: [Google]
Monster-mosquito_o_11195.jpg
72KB, 389x389px
Weeks later and they're still a huge problem. You cannot be outside for more than a minute before they attack. We should be having some 50-40 degree nights by this time of the year, but it's just been heat and rain and humidity. Feels like got dang florida...

Last years winter was pretty mild. Would not be surprised if it's going to be another snowy one. Cannot wait till these buggers are dead.
>>
Sooooo, where are you located and uhh, what's your goddamn point?
>>
I am currently /out/ in rim country Arizona. No mosquitoes and hardly any bugs. Do bugs hibernate for the winter once the nights hit the low 60s?
>>
>>854892
in the NE US

there are too many mosquitoes to go out
I am sad

>>854899
according to the internet, 50s are supposed to slow them down and much colder to completely kill them off

a week with no rain would be a big help
>>
>>854852
ARE YOU IN WISCONSIN THE MOSQUITOES ARE PRETTY NORMAL HERE THIS YEAR BUT THAT IS STILL A LOT.
>>
When will the hypocritical purist protesters with no understanding of high school biology learn that those GE sterile mosquitoes will do wonders with no disadvantageous side affects on human health?

Sterile mosquito technology when?
>>
>>854907
Mosquitoes are a major food source for many animals, including bats and hummingbirds.
>>
>>854920
Yes, and I'm right there with you, we should keep many of the species, though we really should look at removing the few species which are able of causing significant harm to humans.

We're already doing it the dirty ways usually through the use of non-specific methods, such as insecticides, oils, and the like, and that hurts more and costs a fair bit.
>>
>>854852
S whats /out/'s favorite method of mosquito evasion? I hate the sticky, greasy feeling of being covered in spray and wearing long sleeves around here just means you have twice the mosquito going to your face.
>>
>>854907
You do realize that might be very well what started the whole Zika virus thing?

A bunch of sterile mosquitoes were released in Brazil. This particular breed, however, responded to the Zika virus differently than others, and like Jeff Goldblum says, "nature finds a way"... And so, a portion of these sterile mosquitoes turned out not to be so sterile, and managed to breed, and their children had that same effect on the Zika virus, adding microcephaly to the mix of what was previously a non-threatening disease.

So be careful what you wish for.
>>
>>855374
Do you have any kind of source for this bullshit?
>>
>>855374
>>855379
It's absolute bullshit
>>
>>855374
Yeah, anon, you might want to question your source there. There has been repeated peddling of myths associated with Zika, be it the GE mosquitos, pesticides, or just the anti-Christ known as Monsanto which all sure love to bash, being involved.
I've yet to meet a credible source or paper relating to this, and I do sure love to have a look at this field.

Actually, it would be almost impossible for them to other than by pure chance of mutation of a gene (as happens everywhere in nature wherever sexual reproduction occurs, that's a sloppy process which results in offspring with genetic differences / mutations unto which nature will see whether that little change will help that offspring live in the wild or die upon leaving the womb), I imagine.

The great thing about precision genetic engineering is that we know with high certainty what will happen, as we change single genes which we know translate to amino acids which translate into proteins which all are expressed as its phenotype. We know what'll happen better than what we can with conventional breeding
That zika claim really lies in the realm of sources which really aren't.. quite accurate, the type of sites which repeatedly post unsubstantiated and often disproven claims over and over again and lie in the realm of quackery and pseudoscience. I'm still looking for valid sources, is what I'm saying.
And on that claim of the mosquitos not being sterile, well, you'll sure win a big bounty from sources like quacks like Joseph 'buy my monasto protection herbs and spices' Mercola and forever be held highly by those people if you can disprove the sterility of the mosquitos. Furthermore, you'd really notice that mosquito numbers are still there if they did breed.
Furthermore, let's assume that some were not sterile, that would still be of no issue, as they'd be outnumbered 50 to 1 or so of sterile to non-sterile, and that's a harem which that one would not be able to get through, they'd still die off ultimately.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.